SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs add a 100 point winger

Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 12, 2024
Published: May 12, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Nope it's not Sam Reinhart, it's Marner.

Over the past 6 years Marner scores points at a 1.2 pts/game rate or 100 pts/82 games.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,500,000
2$1,250,000
4$1,100,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,000,000
3$2,000,000
2$1,000,000
4$7,750,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$87,669,667$0$0$30,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$11,500,000$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, C
RFA
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
UFA
$7,750,000$7,750,000
RD
UFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
RFA
$875,000$875,000
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 12 at 7:36 p.m.
sheldon kweef
first 100 point winger to never have 100 points
May 12 at 7:38 p.m.
Maybe they should revisit the Marner as a RD idea, just need to pair him with a physically imposing partner.
Friendly_Cannon liked this.
May 12 at 7:42 p.m.
Tank it baby
Big add.
May 12 at 7:44 p.m.
Quoting: sheldon_kweef
first 100 point winger to never have 100 points

He has an honorary membership to the club.
May 12 at 7:44 p.m.
That's a bad team. One and done.
May 12 at 7:47 p.m.
100 points and 3 playoff secondary assists 😤
May 12 at 7:54 p.m.
Quoting: GMBL
Maybe they should revisit the Marner as a RD idea, just need to pair him with a physically imposing partner.

I’ve wondered this too. He’s super responsible and he’s got the skates to play defender. It would also force him to play a more physical style, or at least a position where getting hit by forecheckers is commonplace.
It may do wonders for his game, which to everyone, needs some adjusting. Marner was my favorite player but just misses a few details that keep him from entering a franchise tier. That being his unwillingness to take a hit to make a play. 9/10 it can be covered up by his defensive play which is Selke worthy but that 1/10th time makes him looking useless.
May 12 at 7:55 p.m.
Quoting: Friendly_Cannon
100 points and 3 playoff secondary assists 😤

Please look up which current Leaf is the all time career playoff points leader.

Here's a hint, it's not Mr. 69 or Slick Willy or Johnny Boy.
May 12 at 7:58 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Please look up which current Leaf is the all time career playoff points leader.

Here's a hint, it's not Mr. 69 or Slick Willy or Johnny Boy.

Let’s look up points in games 4-7. He’s got like 8 in 8 years lol.
I love marner, honestly. Want him to be a blue jacket but he struggles to play against a physical presence on the other team. They hold him to the outsides and force him to dump it back or make a hail marry pass which with marner is like 20% vs an average player whose chances are 5%.
Marner is special but needs to make a major adjustment in his willingness to play INTO contact not around contact.
May 12 at 8:06 p.m.
Let’s look up points in games 4-7. He’s got like 8 in 8 years lol.
I love marner, honestly. Want him to be a blue jacket but he struggles to play against a physical presence on the other team. They hold him to the outsides and force him to dump it back or make a hail marry pass which with marner is like 20% vs an average player whose chances are 5%.
Marner is special but needs to make a major adjustment in his willingness to play INTO contact not around contact.

Umm... he does play into contact in the playoffs that's why he becomes a turn over machine.

He needs to become a floater like Nylander, who for some reason everyone loves.
May 12 at 8:24 p.m.
Umm... he does play into contact in the playoffs that's why he becomes a turn over machine.

He needs to become a floater like Nylander, who for some reason everyone loves.

Willy consistently goes into coverage. Marner consistently goes away from it and when pressured chokes.

Neither player is perfect but Willy comes up clutch when it matters marner hasn’t.
Also mr 69 wanna elaborate? I just watch leaf games don’t know the backstory. Genuinely curious why Matthews has earned that name.

Not to change subjects again but if cbj offered a trade that was worth it for the leafs (not making a trade just assume it’s enough for brad and Shanahan) do you think marner waives if an extension is worked out? Let’s assume 8 years 10 million flat.
May 12 at 8:38 p.m.
Willy consistently goes into coverage. Marner consistently goes away from it and when pressured chokes.

Neither player is perfect but Willy comes up clutch when it matters marner hasn’t.
Also mr 69 wanna elaborate? I just watch leaf games don’t know the backstory. Genuinely curious why Matthews has earned that name.

Not to change subjects again but if cbj offered a trade that was worth it for the leafs (not making a trade just assume it’s enough for brad and Shanahan) do you think marner waives if an extension is worked out? Let’s assume 8 years 10 million flat.

It's like every fan forgets that the opposing team creates strategy's to stop all star players.

Fact is Marner is higher up on the list to defend than Nylander, hence why Willy gets better chances.

Nylander floats on the backcheck on defensive and floats in the high circle on offense. I don't know which games you're watching.

Marner would want more than Willy, so $12 million is the low.

I just made the name Mr. 69 for Matthews, because he scored 69 goals this year.
May 12 at 8:38 p.m.
1st round exit. Just like always.
May 12 at 8:54 p.m.
It's like every fan forgets that the opposing team creates strategy's to stop all star players.

Fact is Marner is higher up on the list to defend than Nylander, hence why Willy gets better chances.

Nylander floats on the backcheck on defensive and floats in the high circle on offense. I don't know which games you're watching.

Marner would want more than Willy, so $12 million is the low.

I just made the name Mr. 69 for Matthews, because he scored 69 goals this year.

Thank you for the information

Sure after scoring nearly 100 points they are gonna forget about nylander and target marner hard. That’s how that works.

Back check I will agree with but he does not float about with the puck. Off puck maybe but they both do that. Your being selective

Sure but does he get it with the reputation he has built up?
And does he waive to Columbus?

And I’ll up the offer. Columbus offers 11x 8 and has to trade laine back to the leafs. The Q is does he waive.

I don’t see another team offering that money with the rep he has built but I could 100% be wrong. Utah is getting a team and there are plenty of other teams who don’t have any high end wingers like Seattle who might pay a fortune. So who knows
May 12 at 8:55 p.m.
Quoting: BruceBanner
1st round exit. Just like always.

At least they make the playoffs.

Signed: Sens, Habs, Sabres, Wings, Pens, Ducks, Yotes, Hawks, Blues, Sharks and BJs.
May 12 at 9:04 p.m.
At least they make the playoffs.

Signed: Sens, Habs, Sabres, Wings, Pens, Ducks, Yotes, Hawks, Blues, Sharks and BJs.

Sure, but that's not the goal and this core isn't getting it done.
May 12 at 9:05 p.m.
Thank you for the information

Sure after scoring nearly 100 points they are gonna forget about nylander and target marner hard. That’s how that works.

Back check I will agree with but he does not float about with the puck. Off puck maybe but they both do that. Your being selective

Sure but does he get it with the reputation he has built up?
And does he waive to Columbus?

And I’ll up the offer. Columbus offers 11x 8 and has to trade laine back to the leafs. The Q is does he waive.

I don’t see another team offering that money with the rep he has built but I could 100% be wrong. Utah is getting a team and there are plenty of other teams who don’t have any high end wingers like Seattle who might pay a fortune. So who knows

In a perfect world Marner and the team would have the discussion completed about Marner's NMC and a potential trade, so this circus and drama ends before the playoffs are over and we don't get a full summer worth of Marner trade rumors.
May 12 at 9:08 p.m.

Well the Leafs wasted 3 years by not firing Keefe sooner after the embarrassing loss to the BJ's.
May 13 at 12:15 a.m.
Well the Leafs wasted 3 years by not firing Keefe sooner after the embarrassing loss to the BJ's.

Any series after MTL, they could have lost even with a different coach. This year was also only the second year that they had a decent bit of cap to put together a somewhat competitive team.

Winning 1, 2 or even 3 series is not the goal either. If you miss the playoffs it's a wasted opportunity. The Leafs have won one series, in 8-years, so it's time for change, but doesn't mean they do something silly.

This core (the core 4+ Rielly) have won 1/7 series in their 6-years together, Tavares got injured against MTL when his team was up so can only hold him accountable for 6 series, and likewise Matthews and Nylander to some extent since they each missed some games in their last series. MNM + Rielly have been together for 8-years and have won 1/9 series. So, not much different but the fact that those 3-players have never missed the post-season since their rookie seasons shows that they are exceptional players. It also shows that the addition of Tavares hasn't done much, if you are just looking at series wins/making the playoffs. I'm not trying to scapegoat or saying that the Tavares signing was bad or that he never brought any value, but if you're looking to just move someone for a shakeup, it should be him. I will also say that with his decline, even if he's kept around beyond this year, JT's not much of a core player anymore. He's currently not worth his 11M contract, but there's just a year left, he can still potentially provide good value on a new deal.

Really the Leafs management should look at it as if they just have 4-core players in Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly. Only makes sense to trade Rielly for a younger D with top-2 potential who is already a top-4 player or is a top-2 D, which is unlikely to happen. Only way that I think that it could happen is if OTT is willing to trade Chychrun for him. If they trade one of the first 3 players, they better be getting an exceptional player back (but not a goalie) or two very-good players (preferably 1F + 1D) who aren't well passed their prime. Trading Marner for pennies on the dollar/a goalie or an old defender in a 1-for-1 would be a mistake. If you want to trade someone for pennies on the dollar/cap space (they'll need to eat 3.5-4M to get some value) in the name of a shakeup, it has to be Tavares..

I'll also add that next year would be the first year, that the so-called Core-4 are the 4 highest-paid players on the team.
May 13 at 3:22 p.m.
Any series after MTL, they could have lost even with a different coach. This year was also only the second year that they had a decent bit of cap to put together a somewhat competitive team.

Winning 1, 2 or even 3 series is not the goal either. If you miss the playoffs it's a wasted opportunity. The Leafs have won one series, in 8-years, so it's time for change, but doesn't mean they do something silly.

I truly think a different coach could have got a different result V. Mon, V. Flo and V. Bos.

But then again, we keep talking about the Leafs lack of playoff success but fail to mention that they're in arguable the best Division in the whole NHL.

They have lost to 4 Stanley Cup Finalists; Bos, Tbay, Mon and Flo.
May 13 at 3:54 p.m.
I truly think a different coach could have got a different result V. Mon, V. Flo and V. Bos.

But then again, we keep talking about the Leafs lack of playoff success but fail to mention that they're in arguable the best Division in the whole NHL.

They have lost to 4 Stanley Cup Finalists; Bos, Tbay, Mon and Flo.

Maybe a different coach would have, maybe not, but yeah, many of their losses in the Matthews-era were to the Stanley Cup Finalists/Champs even if you look prior to CBJ. The MTL one was the North division which the Leafs dominated though. Ironically, the 2nd seed Oilers got swept by 3rd seed WPG, Canadians made their 1-3 comeback, then went on to sweep the Jet. Unfortunately, Price alone was not enough against TB and they lost in 5. The common theme in many years, though was lack of scoring, poor powerplay (compared to the regular season), and the other team having the better goalie. Usually, they would lose close and make it the distance, only against Flr it wasn't winner-take-all I think against WSH. The fact that TB dominated the two altered format playoffs, does tell that the Leafs have a hard path. Maybe if the Leafs missed a couple of years in between like the Oilers, they wouldn't have that added pressure due to the consecutive first 1 losses/elimination game losses.
May 13 at 4:42 p.m.
Maybe a different coach would have, maybe not, but yeah, many of their losses in the Matthews-era were to the Stanley Cup Finalists/Champs even if you look prior to CBJ. The MTL one was the North division which the Leafs dominated though. Ironically, the 2nd seed Oilers got swept by 3rd seed WPG, Canadians made their 1-3 comeback, then went on to sweep the Jet. Unfortunately, Price alone was not enough against TB and they lost in 5. The common theme in many years, though was lack of scoring, poor powerplay (compared to the regular season), and the other team having the better goalie. Usually, they would lose close and make it the distance, only against Flr it wasn't winner-take-all I think against WSH. The fact that TB dominated the two altered format playoffs, does tell that the Leafs have a hard path. Maybe if the Leafs missed a couple of years in between like the Oilers, they wouldn't have that added pressure due to the consecutive first 1 losses/elimination game losses.

Also doesn't help that fans/media/team/players are so focus on winning 1 playoff round that they celebrated beating Tbay just like it was winning the Stanley Cup, no wonder the team has such a let down in the next Round against Flo.

The way I see it, it doesn't matter if they win 3 games or 11 games in the playoffs, either way it's a failed season unless they can at least make it to the Cup Finals. Only losers get happy about their team are Conference Finalists, ahem Rangers/Canes/Oilers/Stars fans.
GMBL liked this.
May 13 at 5:01 p.m.
Also doesn't help that fans/media/team/players are so focus on winning 1 playoff round that they celebrated beating Tbay just like it was winning the Stanley Cup, no wonder the team has such a let down in the next Round against Flo.

The way I see it, it doesn't matter if they win 3 games or 11 games in the playoffs, either way it's a failed season unless they can at least make it to the Cup Finals. Only losers get happy about their team are Conference Finalists, ahem Rangers/Canes/Oilers/Stars fans.

Lol, I don't think the Rangers fans are happy with being conference finalists, whenever they go out, there are tons of Panarin mock trades on here. If they don't win the Cup this year, there will be Panarin for Marner mock trades again just like last year. They are a lot like Leafs fans in the season that they have a meltdown when their team goes out. Although, if you look at the Rangers, they have been so close yet so far, even drafting top 3 twice, in the past decade. The Leafs fans and media never had patience with the team ever since they started making the playoffs.

Canes fans are also not too happy about making it deep but some of them are smug about their team's playoff success (at least on CF). Oilers fans (much like fans of other Canadian teams) just really hate the Leafs and want to see their downfall and rejoice at their failures. Their hate for the Leafs is comparable to that of the most extreme Habs fans that hate the Leafs with a passion. Don't know much about the Stars fans.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll