SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Dont roast me too badly

Created by: WillyMackyWilly
Published: May 14 at 3:16 p.m.
Salary Cap: $83,500,000
Season Days: 42/192 (22%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has met the central registry's trade checklist

Logo of the San Jose SharksSan Jose Sharks

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Granlund, MikaelSan Jose SharksNHL-$1,093,750011---69124860--
Ferraro, MarioSan Jose SharksNHL-$710,938011---7831821--
Addison, CalenSan Jose SharksNHL-$180,469011---7211617--
Wiesblatt, OzzyWaivers ExemptSan Jose SharksMinor-$0011---0000--
Halttunen, KasperWaivers ExemptSan Jose SharksJunior-$0001---0000--
2024 1st round pick (Logo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsPIT)---100------
2024 2nd round pick (Logo of the New Jersey DevilsNJD)---010------
2025 2nd round pick (Logo of the San Jose SharksSJS)---010------
2025 4th round pick (Logo of the Winnipeg JetsWPG)---001------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Klingberg, JohnToronto Maple LeafsLTIR-$907,813011---14055--
Marner, MitchellToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$2,385,031011---69265985--
Samsonov, IlyaToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$776,563011-------3.130.89
Gambrell, DylanToronto Maple LeafsMinor-$0011---0000--
Niemelä, TopiWaivers ExemptToronto Maple LeafsMinor-$0011---0000--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$3,617,3582548705511
Change-$2,084,250-110-1-2-1
Final$1,533,108 (↓)24 (↓)49 (↑)704 (↓)3 (↓)10 (↓)10-18-8

Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsToronto Maple Leafs

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Klingberg, JohnToronto Maple LeafsLTIR-$4,150,000011---14055--
Marner, MitchellToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$10,903,000011---69265985--
Samsonov, IlyaToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$3,550,000011-------3.130.89
Gambrell, DylanToronto Maple LeafsMinor-$0011---0000--
Niemelä, TopiWaivers ExemptToronto Maple LeafsMinor-$0011---0000--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Granlund, MikaelSan Jose SharksNHL-$5,000,000011---69124860--
Ferraro, MarioSan Jose SharksNHL-$3,250,000011---7831821--
Addison, CalenSan Jose SharksNHL-$825,000011---7211617--
Wiesblatt, OzzyWaivers ExemptSan Jose SharksMinor-$0011---0000--
Halttunen, KasperWaivers ExemptSan Jose SharksJunior-$0001---0000--
2024 1st round pick (Logo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsPIT)---100------
2024 2nd round pick (Logo of the New Jersey DevilsNJD)---010------
2025 2nd round pick (Logo of the San Jose SharksSJS)---010------
2025 4th round pick (Logo of the Winnipeg JetsWPG)---001------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$547,4992850652111
Change$5,378,0001-10121
Final$5,925,499 (↑)29 (↑)49 (↓)653 (↑)3 (↑)12 (↑)-10188
Who wins?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 14 at 3:23 p.m.
God I hope sharks pass on this! Marner is soft and at best a regular season stud who disappears in the playoffs, the rest is mehhh
FunMustBeAlways liked this.
May 14 at 3:33 p.m.
Silly Willy Macky
I've been a sharks fan my whole life and I couldn't agree less. Marner, while not being a fantastic playoff performer through his career thusfar, has unbelievable talent that would work incredibly well with our uber young new core. He's a guy who can really unlock the offensive upside for Macklin, Smith, Eky, etc. And maybe down the line playing with Macklin or Smith or Eklund will help make him a better playoff player. Also getting out of that massive and heavily scrutinizing market in Toronto to come to a much smaller more forgiving market could help him as a player quite a bit.
May 14 at 3:41 p.m.
Silly Willy Macky
Quoting: Rob32sjsharks
God I hope sharks pass on this! Marner is soft and at best a regular season stud who disappears in the playoffs, the rest is mehhh

I've been a sharks fan my whole life and I couldn't agree less. Marner, while not being a fantastic playoff performer through his career thusfar, has unbelievable talent that would work incredibly well with our uber young new core. He's a guy who can really unlock the offensive upside for Macklin, Smith, Eky, etc. And maybe down the line playing with Macklin or Smith or Eklund will help make him a better playoff player. Also getting out of that massive and heavily scrutinizing market in Toronto to come to a much smaller more forgiving market could help him as a player quite a bit.
May 14 at 4:58 p.m.
Quoting: Rob32sjsharks

Don't worry, you guys won't be making the playoffs for the foreseeable future, so it wouldn't be an issue.......though 4 years down the road, this is going to be a really solid team.
May 14 at 6:36 p.m.
I definitely decline this if I'm the Sharks. The fact that Marner waived would seem to suggest he's willing to re-sign here, but we can't know for sure before the trade (draft is before he's eligible to sign an extension), so we're potentially getting Marner as a 1-year rental during a year that we're still rebuilding and Niemela (the rest of the things coming to the Sharks are just fluff I'm assuming to make contract numbers work since they're UFAs in a month and a half).

On the Sharks side of things you have pick 14, 42, likely around 35ish in 2025, and a mid/late 4th in 2025, Granlund and Ferraro who are among the best leaders in the locker room to help develop our future core and are likely a combined value of around a 1st and a 2nd to the Sharks, Halttunen who has looks like a prospect with some promise, Weisblatt who seems a long shot to make the NHL and doesn't change the value much, and the RFA rights to Addison (who many Sharks fans wouldn't mind if he didn't get his QO, also not much of a tweak to the value).

Essentially you're looking at around 4 mid to early seconds, a mid first, a late first, and a mid to late fourth in exchange for a rental and an alright defensive prospect (likely 4-5 ceiling) with the Sharks losing leadership players on a team that needs leadership players.
May 14 at 10:30 p.m.
this is incredibly tilted in the leafs favor

even if marner for a year was worth 14th overall (he's not), we'd basically be trading granlund, ferraro, halttunen, addison, wiesblatt, two 2nds and a 4th for Niemela...
May 15 at 4:54 a.m.
I have to roast this, simply because YET AGAIN, people keep including UFAs in off-season trades. Just stop people, please for the love of god!!!!
May 15 at 8:14 a.m.
Quoting: Augustus
I have to roast this, simply because YET AGAIN, people keep including UFAs in off-season trades. Just stop people, please for the love of god!!!!

I could see it making sense in this scenario, not because of any trade value they might have. The Leafs are at 50/50 contracts so any trade has to be contract in-contract out in order not to throw errors. Again, I think the value is way off but they're taking on 5 contracts from the Sharks so they need to send out 5 contracts to be compliant.
May 15 at 10:41 a.m.
Bad Take Bot v1.02
sooooo what is the incentive for SJ to do this, get rid of a ton of long term pieces in return for 1 year of a good player for a non-playoff team.
May 17 at 3:08 p.m.
Silly Willy Macky
Quoting: FunMustBeAlways
this is incredibly tilted in the leafs favor

even if marner for a year was worth 14th overall (he's not), we'd basically be trading granlund, ferraro, halttunen, addison, wiesblatt, two 2nds and a 4th for Niemela...

Well, to be fair I did have a long-term extension with Marner in mind for the sharks. I also believe he's getting undervalued due to his playoff struggles, this is a consistent 90+ point guy that changes the offensive outlook of any team he goes to. Playoff performer or not aside, no matter who wants to trade for marner you can't get away with some mediocre package. Especially with how horrid my sharks were this year, you're gonna have to cough up a little extra to get these quality assets. Just my outlook, you say "long term pieces." I say "1 possible long term piece and the rest will inevitably be moved anyways".. why not now?
May 17 at 3:17 p.m.
Silly Willy Macky
Quoting: jamnjon
I definitely decline this if I'm the Sharks. The fact that Marner waived would seem to suggest he's willing to re-sign here, but we can't know for sure before the trade (draft is before he's eligible to sign an extension), so we're potentially getting Marner as a 1-year rental during a year that we're still rebuilding and Niemela (the rest of the things coming to the Sharks are just fluff I'm assuming to make contract numbers work since they're UFAs in a month and a half).

On the Sharks side of things you have pick 14, 42, likely around 35ish in 2025, and a mid/late 4th in 2025, Granlund and Ferraro who are among the best leaders in the locker room to help develop our future core and are likely a combined value of around a 1st and a 2nd to the Sharks, Halttunen who has looks like a prospect with some promise, Weisblatt who seems a long shot to make the NHL and doesn't change the value much, and the RFA rights to Addison (who many Sharks fans wouldn't mind if he didn't get his QO, also not much of a tweak to the value).

Essentially you're looking at around 4 mid to early seconds, a mid first, a late first, and a mid to late fourth in exchange for a rental and an alright defensive prospect (likely 4-5 ceiling) with the Sharks losing leadership players on a team that needs leadership players.

You say rental, but why wouldn't Marner want to re-sign in the bay? I assume the sharks would never trade for a rental in the dead middle of a rebuild. Unless there is an extension in place you don't make this deal if you're SJ.
May 17 at 8:14 p.m.
Quoting: WillyMackyWilly
Well, to be fair I did have a long-term extension with Marner in mind for the sharks. I also believe he's getting undervalued due to his playoff struggles, this is a consistent 90+ point guy that changes the offensive outlook of any team he goes to. Playoff performer or not aside, no matter who wants to trade for marner you can't get away with some mediocre package. Especially with how horrid my sharks were this year, you're gonna have to cough up a little extra to get these quality assets. Just my outlook, you say "long term pieces." I say "1 possible long term piece and the rest will inevitably be moved anyways".. why not now?

Right but the playoff underperforming, huge cap hit, full no-move clause and 1 year of term left before hitting UFA is what is dragging down his value. Given an extension comes secured it does raise the value some, but I wouldn't call that a given. Had the Leafs wanted to trade him 3 years ago, this would be a whole different conversation. I don't disagree that he's very talented - he is and would cost some pieces but the value the Sharks are giving up here is pretty over the top. Also I don't understand the rationale behind pieces that will "inevitably" be moved.

Addison and Wiesblatt have little value.
Granlund you can get a 2nd out of this upcoming deadline probably
Ferraro a late 1st
Halttunen is a decent 2nd round prospect.
And then another 2 high 2nd rounders in the next 2 drafts.

Granlund is the only player there who's most likely getting moved. Everyone else is a prospect or pick the Sharks should hold onto and Ferraro will only be traded for the right price.
May 21 at 8:41 p.m.
Silly Willy Macky
Quoting: FunMustBeAlways
Right but the playoff underperforming, huge cap hit, full no-move clause and 1 year of term left before hitting UFA is what is dragging down his value. Given an extension comes secured it does raise the value some, but I wouldn't call that a given. Had the Leafs wanted to trade him 3 years ago, this would be a whole different conversation. I don't disagree that he's very talented - he is and would cost some pieces but the value the Sharks are giving up here is pretty over the top. Also I don't understand the rationale behind pieces that will "inevitably" be moved.

Addison and Wiesblatt have little value.
Granlund you can get a 2nd out of this upcoming deadline probably
Ferraro a late 1st
Halttunen is a decent 2nd round prospect.
And then another 2 high 2nd rounders in the next 2 drafts.

Granlund is the only player there who's most likely getting moved. Everyone else is a prospect or pick the Sharks should hold onto and Ferraro will only be traded for the right price.

That's absolutely fair, and personally I agree with it as a sharks fan. As for my personal reasoning behind the pieces the sharks move:

Addison and Weisblatt do not have much value, absolutely correct, but I think we can all admit Addison is better than Klingberg who they gave a shot to because they need puck movers on the back end, gives them that. Ozzy to me projects as a solid 3rd line guy that is a SOB to play against, while it may take him a few more years to reach that ceiling, he could be very good for a team that lacks those types of players. (not saying I want to get rid of ozzy at all, I think the leafs would be genuinely interested in him.
Granny, yeah he doesn't make a lot of sense for the leafs, but maybe he can help sure up the top 3 centers for 1 year, or they can flip him.
Ferraro is exactly what they need in terms of defensemen and human.
The other pieces is something for them to use as trade bait, or inevitable roster players.

Laying it all out now, absolutely an overpay. I do however still believe that a deal of this magnitude Grier would not do without a long term extension. Mitchy also doesn't strike me as a Grier type of player. If we're speculating here, Draisaitl absolutely screams "grier player" to me. But that's for another thread .

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit