SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

PalHal Leaf evaluation for Maro's 1/3 season report

Nov. 30, 2017 at 2:56 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Matthews: B +, not as as effective since his injury. His defensive game is outstanding. Better line mate production would have up his rating.
Nylander C + . Lack of scoring, more irregular play than last year.
Hyman B. Excellent for what he is. I'm a Hyman supporter
Kadri A. Best Leaf forward, despite at time lack of line mate support
Brown C +.Hasn't quite found his niche especially offensively this year
Komarov C. Contributing even less offensively this year
Marleau B. Plays "nice". Has played well at centre and LW, but certainly not 6.25m good.
Bozak. C High mark last year, a step behind offensively and defensively this year
Marner: C +. His cute plays haven't work as well this year. Some bad luck around the net. Still finding his way as an NHLer.
Martin: C +. Never hurts the team on the ice. Deemed necessary as regular by Babcock. I tend to agree but other Leafs fan, not so much
Moore C. Hasn't done much in my eyes. Thought Fehr, might have been the better Leaf in his few appearances.
Leivo, Soshnikov, Kapanen. Maybe next year, but we said that last year.
JVR: B -, At least on the PP and in offensive zone, very good. Might be playing himself into a nice UFA contract with the Rangers.
Reilly B +. Best Leaf Dman. Becoming more dependable in all situations
Hainsey. B. Playing really well as Reilly's partner and PK man. 3m bargain.
Gardiner. B. More inconsistent than last year, but when he's on...he's an A.
Zaitsev. C+ Lots of PK time. To me, at many times he has been average, then good.
Borgman C +. Started slow, but is rookie is adapting to North American/NHL play recently.
Carrick. C. Hasn't been taken the step forward than was hoped for this year.
Polak C. Few games played. Leafs lack NHL Dman depth, if any of their top 7 are injured
Andersen. B + After the first week or so, has been very good.
McElhinney: C +. Four games, two wins. Don't know how Pickard/Sparks could have won more games.
Lupul A+++++. For remaining on LTIR, and helping the Leafs cap.

To me the Leafs haven't looked "that good" all season. Still if the eye test says they have been playing pretty average they are on pace for 103 point season.
Nov. 30, 2017 at 5:29 p.m.
Nice job Palhal.

Lots of C's up there. Team is doing pretty good. Maybe you're being a little harsh?
Nov. 30, 2017 at 6:15 p.m.
Lenny7
Would definitely say that Hainsey has been outperforming his contract.

Man, that 3rd year of Marleau's contract is going to hurt...
Nov. 30, 2017 at 6:22 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Thanks Marco. By many comments on CapFriendly, I think folks thought I overrated the defence. So many folks think the Leafs have the worse defencemen in the league. Kinda strange that the Leafs have about the best goals for in the league, a well above average goal differential, but to me they are playing "worse" then they did last February, March and April. Maybe the expectations are greater.

Lenny 7: I kinda think it's going to hurt too. But Leaf management thought it so necessary to acquire Marleau especially for these first two seasons and had to add a third. Me thinks it means no but UFA signings in the next two years, unless Leafs shed the salary of one of their current "stars"
Nov. 30, 2017 at 7:16 p.m.
I agree. Lots of C's given out, although I don't believe you're very off base.

Brown should get a higher grade though. He does it all. His offense hasn't even been that bad.
Dec. 1, 2017 at 4:27 p.m.
C,mon Leafs...Please
I agree with your assessments....except I might have rated Brown a bit higher.

The team hasn't really clicked yet this year like they had at the end of last season. Winning games still but I think that will not continue without improvement in their play.
Dec. 7, 2017 at 4:15 p.m.
Agree with most of what you say. Only things I question are your ratings for Brown and Freddy. Freddy is the main reason Leafs have won so many games and while Brown hasn't been so noticable this year, his play has been outstanding.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll