SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Top 10 2018 draft rankings, chime in with your own list

Dec. 8, 2017 at 4:27 a.m.
Hardcore Sabres fan
These are my top 10 2018 draft prospects so far.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Boqvist
4. Hughes
5. Zadina
6. Wahlstrom
7. Tkachuk
8. Wilde
9. Veleno
10. Merkley
Dec. 8, 2017 at 10:39 a.m.
I like Rasmus Kupari in my top 10.
Dec. 8, 2017 at 10:44 a.m.
Below Market Value
Disclaimer: all scouting is done based off of numbers from EliteProspects.com; I haven't watched any game film on these guys, so take everything with a grain of salt.

1. Dahlin - Obvious #1 pick. Anyone that puts him below #1 should be stripped of their hockey fan card.
2. Svechnikov - Could challenge Dahlin for #1 if he were a center or if he hadn't gotten injured. Still a great player. Will be better than his brother.
3. Zadina - Halifax has a knack for developing elite talent, so I like him a little more than some of the other guys in the draft. Not undersized either, so that's less risk.
4. Tkachuk - We've all seen how effective Matthew is at the NHL level, so I have no reason to think Brady will be any different. Looks like he also plays center according to EliteProspects, so that's a plus.
5. Hughes - Offensively gifted defenseman that is putting up good points at the NCAA level, even as a smaller player. Rank could be affected by his performance at the WJC.
6. Boqvist - Not as high as others may put him, mainly because he's primarily played in the Swedish juniors as opposed to SHL or even Allsvenskan. No doubt he'll be a great player, but I'd like to see him compete at a higher level, and he didn't make the cut for Sweden's WJC roster.
7. Wahlstrom - Good sized C/RW, natural goal scorer going through the US development program. I'm high on players that go through their system. Heading to Harvard next season, so we'll see how he can do against the big boys in the NCAA.
8. Veleno - Given Exceptional Status by Hockey Canada, but he's kinda fallen off the radar. Still put up good numbers as an underager.
9. Merkley - Another dynamic, offensive defenseman (I sense a theme here). Well over a point per game in the OHL. Put up 55 points in 62 games last season on a bad Guelph team, even as a first-year OHL player.
10. McLeod - Being a good-sized C will push him up the draft boards, even if there are more dynamic talents behind him. Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up better than his brother Michael, in fact I'm calling it right now.

HM:
- Dobson - All-around defenseman with excellent size, but not enough WOW talent to crack the top ten. Definitely a top 20 pick, though.
- McIsaac - Average-sized defenseman in this draft. Plays for Halifax in the QMJHL, so obviously I'm going to expect big things from him.
- Thomas - Not much to say about this guy. Good C that can put up points.
Dec. 8, 2017 at 10:51 a.m.
Hardcore Sabres fan
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Disclaimer: all scouting is done based off of numbers from EliteProspects.com; I haven't watched any game film on these guys, so take everything with a grain of salt.

1. Dahlin - Obvious #1 pick. Anyone that puts him below #1 should be stripped of their hockey fan card.
2. Svechnikov - Could challenge Dahlin for #1 if he were a center or if he hadn't gotten injured. Still a great player. Will be better than his brother.
3. Zadina - Halifax has a knack for developing elite talent, so I like him a little more than some of the other guys in the draft. Not undersized either, so that's less risk.
4. Tkachuk - We've all seen how effective Matthew is at the NHL level, so I have no reason to think Brady will be any different. Looks like he also plays center according to EliteProspects, so that's a plus.
5. Hughes - Offensively gifted defenseman that is putting up good points at the NCAA level, even as a smaller player. Rank could be affected by his performance at the WJC.
6. Boqvist - Not as high as others may put him, mainly because he's primarily played in the Swedish juniors as opposed to SHL or even Allsvenskan. No doubt he'll be a great player, but I'd like to see him compete at a higher level, and he didn't make the cut for Sweden's WJC roster.
7. Wahlstrom - Good sized C/RW, natural goal scorer going through the US development program. I'm high on players that go through their system. Heading to Harvard next season, so we'll see how he can do against the big boys in the NCAA.
8. Veleno - Given Exceptional Status by Hockey Canada, but he's kinda fallen off the radar. Still put up good numbers as an underager.
9. Merkley - Another dynamic, offensive defenseman (I sense a theme here). Well over a point per game in the OHL. Put up 55 points in 62 games last season on a bad Guelph team, even as a first-year OHL player.
10. McLeod - Being a good-sized C will push him up the draft boards, even if there are more dynamic talents behind him. Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up better than his brother Michael, in fact I'm calling it right now.

HM:
- Dobson - All-around defenseman with excellent size, but not enough WOW talent to crack the top ten. Definitely a top 20 pick, though.
- McIsaac - Average-sized defenseman in this draft. Plays for Halifax in the QMJHL, so obviously I'm going to expect big things from him.

I agree with your analysis on Boqvist and Zadina, Zadina I have watched in person and I have to say he looks like he has NHL size, skill, and speed. Dominating the Qmjhl. Saw him do a Spin-O-Rama and it was pretty cool haha. And Boqvist could easily fall because of the reasons you have mentioned
Dec. 8, 2017 at 3:45 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
1. Dahlin // future Norris winner
2. Svechnikov // combine Tarasenko with Benn, and that's him. Scary.
3. Zadina // skillset of a Patrick Kane, but with a bigger frame.
4. Hughes // This guy is one of my favorites. He snaps the puck around so well, it's ridiculous.
5. Tkachuk // a little more skill than his brother. How cool would it be to see him get drafted by Edmonton, and have brothers face off in the Battle of Alberta? *goosebumps*
6. Boqvist // DocB was right on when he said that it'd be better to see more from him before putting him ahead of some other guys.
7. Wahlstrom // real dynamic kid, reminds me of a larger Clayton Keller
8. Merkley // another really good offensive defenseman. He's someone I could see going in the top 5 because there's one team really high on him.
9. Kupari // dynamic center, reminds me of a Barkov/Kuznetsov blend
10. Dobson // plays a similar game to Makar, but he's bigger and probably a safer pick

Jeez, this class is stacked. A lot of teams need a defenseman right now, and they'll find one in this draft.
Dec. 10, 2017 at 3:01 a.m.
WentWughes
BOLD PREDICTION THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN
Zadina Goes 1st Overall
Dec. 10, 2017 at 2:23 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
1 - Dahlin
2 - Svechnikov
3 - Merkley
4 - Bouchard
5 - Boqvist
6 - Tkachuk
7 - Hughes
8 - Zadina
9 - Dobson
10 - Tychonick

This is probably way off but i don't know much about the draft prospects.
Dec. 10, 2017 at 2:24 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
1 - Dahlin
2 - Svechnikov
3 - Merkley
4 - Bouchard
5 - Boqvist
6 - Tkachuk
7 - Hughes
8 - Zadina
9 - Dobson
10 - Tychonick

Can I ask where you got your information from to make your rankings?
Dec. 10, 2017 at 4:27 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
1. Rasmus Dahlin - Victor Hedman/Erik Karlsson, possibly better
2. Andrei Svechnikov - Size, skill, speed and shot are a dominant package
3. Brady Tkachuk - If the right team has this pick he could easily go 3rd, slightly better than his brother with a similar package
4. Filip Zadina - Dominating in the QMJHL, ultra-skilled and not small either, could go as high as #2
5. Adam Boqvist - Maybe more skilled offensively than Dahlin, size and competition are the only knocks against him
6. Quinn Hughes - Smaller than Boqvist and Merkley, but my favorite of the three, very smart
7. Ryan Merkley - Another small and offensively gifted d-man, starring in OHL since he was 16, -41 rating last year is suspect
8. Oliver Wahlstrom - Very skilled, more of a goal scorer than a passer, good size
9. Bode Wilde - Bigger d-man, lots of talent at both ends of the rink, great shot
10. Rasmus Kupari - Small, skilled forward
Dec. 10, 2017 at 6:57 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: krakowitz
1 - Dahlin
2 - Svechnikov
3 - Merkley
4 - Bouchard
5 - Boqvist
6 - Tkachuk
7 - Hughes
8 - Zadina
9 - Dobson
10 - Tychonick

a bunch of different lists. I've seen quite a few different 2018 draft ideas.
Dec. 10, 2017 at 8:11 p.m.
Johnny Tychonick is ranked #37 on FutureConsiderations, nowhere near a top-10 caliber prospect.
Dec. 10, 2017 at 8:50 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

a bunch of different lists. I've seen quite a few different 2018 draft ideas.

How did you decide where to rank players?
Dec. 10, 2017 at 9:56 p.m.
Habs fan French
1- Dalhin
2-Svechnikov
3-Zadina
4-Tkachuk
5-Hughes
6-Boquist
7-Veleno
8- Walstrom
9-Merkley
10-Bouchard
Dec. 10, 2017 at 11:02 p.m.
1. Taro Tsujimoto
2. Jeff Finger
3. Jeff Finger's Son
4. John Scott
5. Connor McDavid
6. Dave Nonis
7. Antti Niemi
8. LeBron James
9. Tiger Woods
10. David Booth

Hope this list helped..
wojme, Kotkaniemi15, Zach and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 11, 2017 at 9:50 a.m.
Quoting: boltscharge17
1. Taro Tsujimoto
2. Jeff Finger
3. Jeff Finger's Son
4. John Scott
5. Connor McDavid
6. Dave Nonis
7. Antti Niemi
8. LeBron James
9. Tiger Woods
10. David Booth

Hope this list helped..

You forgot Martin Erat
LicMysak liked this.
Dec. 11, 2017 at 11:44 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: wojme
Quoting: boltscharge17
1. Taro Tsujimoto
2. Jeff Finger
3. Jeff Finger's Son
4. John Scott
5. Connor McDavid
6. Dave Nonis
7. Antti Niemi
8. LeBron James
9. Tiger Woods
10. David Booth

Hope this list helped..

You forgot Martin Erat

Why you gotta do me like that man
wojme and LicMysak liked this.
Dec. 11, 2017 at 12:01 p.m.
Quoting: wojme

You forgot Martin Erat

Why you gotta do me like that man

laughlaughlaugh

I'm sorry it was right there.
Dec. 11, 2017 at 1:32 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Johnny Tychonick is ranked #37 on FutureConsiderations, nowhere near a top-10 caliber prospect.

I thought he was better than that. Once again, i don't know much about the prospects and my list was probably way off.
Dec. 11, 2017 at 2:28 p.m.
NBABound
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast

HM:

"Take everything with a grain of salt"

"Anyone that puts Dahlin below #1 should be stripped of their hockey fan card"

Allllriighty then.
wojme liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll