SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

December Trade Bait

Dec. 11, 2017 at 6:47 p.m.
Following up on the November Trade Bait discussion post in an earlier listing.

Ranking methodology: 5 points for trade likelihood before the 2018 trade deadline, 5 points for quality of player, for a total of 10 points.

December Trade Bait Top 10
#1 - Evander Kane, LW, Buffalo Sabres. 13G, 27P, 20:09 TOI/GP, 51.6 Corsi%, 6.5 CorsiRel% (5+4=9)
--> Kane has been very good for Buffalo this year. Along with Jack Eichel, he's pretty much the only thing the Sabres have going for them at the moment. Realistically, there's no way he resigns in Buffalo, and he instantly becomes the top rental asset on the market.
#2 - Oliver Ekman-Larsson, D, Phoenix Coyotes. 6G, 19P, 25:05 TOI/GP, 51.0 Corsi%, 5.5 CorsiRel% (3+5=8)
--> Questions are swirling around the Arizona Coyotes, and while there hasn't been as much news lately about them, indications still point to Ekman-Larsson looking to go elsewhere when his deal expires in 2019. Unlike other big 2019 defenseman, Larsson is a LHD, which could make him a valuable alternative to the Karlsson/Doughty race. He's also got a low value contract right now, and should be able to fit in without a huge amount of management. The only reason he isn't #1 is because of skepticism of the Coyotes deciding to trade him before the deadline, instead of in the summer.
#3 - Alex Galchenyuk, LW/C, Montreal Canadiens. 7G, 17P, 15:05 TOI/GP, 48.0 Corsi%, -4.2 CorsiRel% (4+3=7)
--> Galchenyuk's time in Montreal has been marred by debate about whether the team is developing him properly, choosing to use him on the wing, often in 4th line minutes. He retains a role on the powerplay, and is only 23, but if the Canadiens decide to make a move to upgrade somewhere, he is one of their best assets by far. Not far removed from a 30 goal season.
#4 - Thomas Vanek, LW, Vancouver Canucks. 7G, 18P, 13:21 TOI/GP, 44.8 Corsi%, -4.3 CorsiRel% (4+3=7)
--> Vanek has shot the puck pretty well this year, with a 13.5 SH%. However, he's done that in a limited role, and has been getting caved in on the possession front. Without the legs to contribute, that's probably invenitable, but he represents a veteran who can score, and could fill in well on the fourth line or as a depth piece in a playoff run.
#5 - Benoit Pouliot, LW, Buffalo Sabres. 7G, 10P, 15:01 TOI/GP, 48.2 Corsi%, 0.7 CorsiRel% (5+2=7)
--> While never living up to his lofty draft slot, Pouliot has been a decent contributor on just about every team he's been on, and he's currently on a nice depth deal. He should be easy to trade, and any contender getting him is going to get a solid bottom six guy, who can slide up the lineup and play with some skill. Two years ago, Pouliot was playing well on McDavid's line: he can play, in a pinch.
#6 - Erik Karlsson, D, Ottawa Senators. 1G, 18P, 25:26 TOI/GP, 54.9 Corsi%, 9.4 CorsiRel% (1+5=6)
--> Although I really don't think Karlsson will be traded at the deadline, I don't think it can be completely dismissed. A team looking to load up, figuring Karlsson can sign long term, and with the prospects and picks to make a package, it could happen. And it's not like Karlsson isn't worth it. If Connor McDavid is an alien, Erik Karlsson is superhuman.
#7 - Mike Green, D, Detroit Red Wings. 2G, 18P, 22:49 TOI/GP, 46.9 Corsi%, -4.1 CorsiRel% (3+3=6)
--> Green has some offensive upside, although in a top pairing role has been caved in. I'm not really certain Green will be traded, as there haven't been any substantial rumors surrounding him, but it would make sense for Holland to move him for a draft pick to a team that could use him in their second or third pairing, and potentially in a powerplay role.
#8 - Radim Vrbata, RW, Florida Panthers. 3G, 11P, 13:47 TOI/GP, 42.2 Corsi%, -9.7 CorsiRel% (4+1=5)
--> Vrbata is not having a good year. However, the same description for Vanek applies, with the note that Vrbata is shooting far below his career percentage, and could rebound. He's also pretty good in the shootout, and could be a nice depth piece.
#9 - Michael Hutchinson, G, Winnipeg Jets (currently in the AHL with the Manitoba Moose (also injured)) (4+1=5)
--> Hutchinson has yet to really prove himself long-term in the NHL, but he's not particularly expensive and has been dominating the AHL. A team with goaltending issues may take a flier on him, fishing for a backup or trying to save their season.
#10 - Brad Richardson, C/LW, Arizona Coyotes. 1G, 5P, 14:24 TOI/GP, 46.7 Corsi%, -1.3 CorsiRel% (4+0=4)
--> A potential depth piece on an expiring contract. Not a scorer, but could help a bad 4th line start to drive play.
Dec. 11, 2017 at 9:11 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
re: OEL:

and this is from the Coyotes correspondent for NHL.com. Chayka's said it a bajillion times, and he's the one who has to make that decision (it's not like OEL's gonna get traded without Chayka's say-so).
Dec. 11, 2017 at 9:45 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid

and this is from the Coyotes correspondent for NHL.com. Chayka's said it a bajillion times, and he's the one who has to make that decision (it's not like OEL's gonna get traded without Chayka's say-so).

Pretty sure this is said about Galchenyuk + Karlsson as well. If the right deal comes along, anybody is for sale
Dec. 11, 2017 at 9:47 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Pretty sure this is said about Galchenyuk + Karlsson as well. If the right deal comes along, anybody is for sale
not everybody. Matthews and McDavid aren't getting traded. Crosby's not getting traded. These hypothetical "anybody is for sale" deals are pretty far outside the realm of probability. OEL's not going anywhere because the Coyotes need *something* to build around, and it's probably gonna be him.
Dec. 12, 2017 at 5:45 a.m.
If OEL wants to leave Arizona, there's nothing they can do. And it would be poor asset management to let him walk for free. Doesn't mean he does get traded, but his value will probably never be higher than in the next couple months, especially with Karlsson somewhat on the block, probably in the summer.
Dec. 12, 2017 at 7:27 a.m.

not everybody. Matthews and McDavid aren't getting traded. Crosby's not getting traded. These hypothetical "anybody is for sale" deals are pretty far outside the realm of probability. OEL's not going anywhere because the Coyotes need *something* to build around, and it's probably gonna be him.

Sorry but if #99 can be traded then anyone can. You're right about the guys you listed though, but then again McDavid and Matthews are only a few years in and captains of their respective teams. McDavid just signed a huge extension and I Imagine Matthews will this off-season. Crosby wont be traded, but then again why would PIT want to trade him? Their still probably the team to beat in the East and he's the face of their franchise. My point is all the teams are in favorable situations.....Arizona is not.

OEL is a FA coming up very soon and unless they make drastic moves, they will still not be competitive when OEL becomes a UFA. Not only that, but OEL is going to be looking for a big raise and that's not the type of money ARZ throws around. If they were smart they'd move him for a package of young controllable assets and continue their 20+ year rebuild project.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Dec. 12, 2017 at 7:34 a.m.
WentWughes

not everybody. Matthews and McDavid aren't getting traded. Crosby's not getting traded. These hypothetical "anybody is for sale" deals are pretty far outside the realm of probability. OEL's not going anywhere because the Coyotes need *something* to build around, and it's probably gonna be him.[/quo

Outside the realm of Probability sure, I bet they said the same thing about Gretzky, anythings possible
Dec. 12, 2017 at 7:36 a.m.
WentWughes

If theres somebody to build around? Arizona has lots of choice besides a guy that is 6-7 years older than their actual core. Id say it would be beneficiary to trade him for futures and let somebody else pay him 8-9 Million.
Dec. 12, 2017 at 10:03 a.m.
Below Market Value
If Arizona wants to compete with OEL, they're gonna need better forward depth. After their first line (usually Keller-Stepan-Domi), they don't have much in terms of dynamic talent. Dvorak and Fischer are looking decent, while Duclair is slowly starting to regain his ability. Strome still has yet to prove he's a top six forward. Their defense is still looking pretty solid (OEL, Demers, Goligoski, Hjalmarsson, Chychrun) and Raanta is looking good as a starter. But they need another top 6 center or winger to help out.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Dec. 12, 2017 at 12:19 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Karlsson is not being traded.
Dec. 12, 2017 at 10:29 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Karlsson is not being traded.

Dare to give some explanation instead of just stating it?
Dec. 12, 2017 at 11:07 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Oliver Ekman-Larsson should be traded, but the return would have to be very, very specific at the moment. A return that I don't think any team in the league can provide (or is willing to provide) for the Coyotes. A potential top pairing defenseman, a first round pick or two, and a goalie of the future would be required to move him. He's a star defenseman in this league, and he's going to cost a king's ransom of assets. There are a couple of teams that could probably put that package together, but I doubt any team is willing to do so. For example, I think if Dallas offered them Heiskanen, Oettinger and their first in 2018, they'd take it. But there's no way Dallas would offer that. If Philadelphia offered them Provorov, Hart and a first this year, Arizona would take it. But the Flyers would never come close to offering a package like that (as I'm sure Philly fans are enraged I'm even using that as an example).

While the asking price should go down, I think the Coyotes are in a situation where trading him makes a lot of sense, especially if he doesn't plan on being in Arizona for the long haul. Before Sergachev was traded to Tampa, I thought that a good trade could've been Sergachev + another quality asset for OEL. But Chayka is committed to keeping him and eventually winning with him, and those guys are certainly a lot smarter than us CapFriendly GMs are (except Chiarelli).
Dec. 13, 2017 at 9:11 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
Oliver Ekman-Larsson should be traded, but the return would have to be very, very specific at the moment. A return that I don't think any team in the league can provide (or is willing to provide) for the Coyotes. A potential top pairing defenseman, a first round pick or two, and a goalie of the future would be required to move him. He's a star defenseman in this league, and he's going to cost a king's ransom of assets. There are a couple of teams that could probably put that package together, but I doubt any team is willing to do so. For example, I think if Dallas offered them Heiskanen, Oettinger and their first in 2018, they'd take it. But there's no way Dallas would offer that. If Philadelphia offered them Provorov, Hart and a first this year, Arizona would take it. But the Flyers would never come close to offering a package like that (as I'm sure Philly fans are enraged I'm even using that as an example).

While the asking price should go down, I think the Coyotes are in a situation where trading him makes a lot of sense, especially if he doesn't plan on being in Arizona for the long haul. Before Sergachev was traded to Tampa, I thought that a good trade could've been Sergachev + another quality asset for OEL. But Chayka is committed to keeping him and eventually winning with him, and those guys are certainly a lot smarter than us CapFriendly GMs are (except Chiarelli).

A few hypothetical trade ideas....

Toronto: Jake Gardiner, Connor Carrick, 2018+2019 1st Round Pick, Garret Sparks

Calgary: TJ Brodie, Rasmus Andersson/Oliver Kylington, 2019 1st Round PIck, Tyler Parsons

Boston: 2018+2019 1st Round Pick, Frank Vatrano, Jakub Zboril, Zach Senyshyn

I think you can develop a decent package surrounding a team's top 2 or 3 prospect, two first round picks, and at least one roster player.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll