SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

President's trophy winner

Who wins the president's trophy in 2017-18?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:17 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Poll question
Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:18 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Washington IMO
Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:31 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Washington IMO

We better not. We play better in the playoffs when less is expected of us. When Pittsburgh went up 3-1 in the series last season, the Caps were kinda expected to choke it up in Game 5. We won. We were definitely expected to lose Game 6 in Pittsburgh, the same way we lost last year. We freakin' crushed them. Then comes Game 7, when it finally looked like we were going to get out of the second round. So many people were saying that Pittsburgh was done, that the series was a lost cause. We then did what any typical Washington Capitals team would do: we played our worst game of the series, lost the game, and made the entire city of DC bawl their eyes out in frustration.

Even then, I doubt we have the talent to win the President's Trophy this year. Teams with more offensive and defensive depth are going to be further ahead of us in the standings (Columbus, Tampa, St. Louis, etc). I'd expect it to be either Tampa or Columbus winning it this season. Also wouldn't be surprised if LA sneaks in and takes it. My money is on the Lightning.
wojme liked this.
Dec. 13, 2017 at 7:31 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Quoting: krakowitz
Washington IMO

We better not. We play better in the playoffs when less is expected of us. When Pittsburgh went up 3-1 in the series last season, the Caps were kinda expected to choke it up in Game 5. We won. We were definitely expected to lose Game 6 in Pittsburgh, the same way we lost last year. We freakin' crushed them. Then comes Game 7, when it finally looked like we were going to get out of the second round. So many people were saying that Pittsburgh was done, that the series was a lost cause. We then did what any typical Washington Capitals team would do: we played our worst game of the series, lost the game, and made the entire city of DC bawl their eyes out in frustration.

Even then, I doubt we have the talent to win the President's Trophy this year. Teams with more offensive and defensive depth are going to be further ahead of us in the standings (Columbus, Tampa, St. Louis, etc). I'd expect it to be either Tampa or Columbus winning it this season. Also wouldn't be surprised if LA sneaks in and takes it. My money is on the Lightning.

Same, I agree.
Dec. 13, 2017 at 7:58 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Washington IMO

well Washington every year seems to start as a team who's just in the playoffs or just out, and then jumps up to first, and they've played really well in December.
Dec. 13, 2017 at 8:04 p.m.

well Washington every year seems to start as a team who's just in the playoffs or just out, and then jumps up to first, and they've played really well in December.

So you're picking based on past results... Okay...
Dec. 13, 2017 at 8:06 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: boltscharge17

but it seems like the same thing has started to happen already.
Dec. 13, 2017 at 8:54 p.m.
Tampa has the best team AND is in the weakest division. There's a decent chance they hit Christmas and still not have 10 TOTAL losses.

There is no other reasonable choice.
Dec. 14, 2017 at 12:25 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: boltscharge17

Yet you picked them to win the Cup
Rangsey liked this.
Dec. 14, 2017 at 1:09 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

This is the year that everyone will just go 'oh, they just can't do it now.' And then i think they just go and win the cup.
Dec. 14, 2017 at 1:43 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: tadhockey
Tampa has the best team AND is in the weakest division. There's a decent chance they hit Christmas and still not have 10 TOTAL losses.

There is no other reasonable choice.

I think there's a difference between 'they are the logical choice' and 'there is no other reasonable choice'. We're 30 games into an 82-game season, a lot can change. Stamkos hasn't even gotten hurt yet!
Dec. 14, 2017 at 1:56 p.m.

This is the year that everyone will just go 'oh, they just can't do it now.' And then i think they just go and win the cup.

And Arizona will make the playoffs...

Washington is weaker than previous years and the Metro is even more stacked
Dec. 14, 2017 at 2:30 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

You say "just go and win the cup" like it's nothing. Unless we change something at the deadline, we'll have at least three rookies playing in the playoffs, one in our top six forwards, and another in our top four D. While the rookies have been good for us to this point, I wouldn't trust Christian Djoos getting top four minutes against the Penguins or Blue Jackets. And we aren't in a position where we should give up valuable future assets for a top four defenseman right now, unless a stupidly good deal comes along, which it won't.

The only chance we have of getting past a team like Pittsburgh this year is if we can expose their lack of a 3C, plus if Murray gets injured and Jarry has to play in the playoffs. There's a difference between being the underdogs and not being talented enough. We don't have the shutdown defense like we used to. The defense that limited Sidney Crosby's effectiveness for almost the entirety of the playoffs the last two seasons is now gone. We lack the shutdown defenseman that we've had in years past with Alzner.

Our defense core last year in the playoffs was Orlov, Niskanen, Carlson, Schmidt, Alzner, Shattenkirk and Orpik (except Shattenkirk sucked with us). This year? Orlov, Niskanen, Carlson, Djoos, Bowey, Orpik, and Chorney. Massive drop off there. Unless we were to acquire someone like Niklas Hjalmarsson, I doubt our ability to support Holtby in a series against Columbus or Pittsburgh.

RAIF, you have no idea how much I want you to be right. I'd give my kidney for you to be right. But there is no reason why this team can make a run, when last year's team couldn't. On paper, that was one of the best teams in a long time that didn't win the Cup. With all the production we lost, both offensively and defensively, there's very little expectation for this team come April.
Dec. 14, 2017 at 4:19 p.m.

You say "just go and win the cup" like it's nothing. Unless we change something at the deadline, we'll have at least three rookies playing in the playoffs, one in our top six forwards, and another in our top four D. While the rookies have been good for us to this point, I wouldn't trust Christian Djoos getting top four minutes against the Penguins or Blue Jackets. And we aren't in a position where we should give up valuable future assets for a top four defenseman right now, unless a stupidly good deal comes along, which it won't.

The only chance we have of getting past a team like Pittsburgh this year is if we can expose their lack of a 3C, plus if Murray gets injured and Jarry has to play in the playoffs. There's a difference between being the underdogs and not being talented enough. We don't have the shutdown defense like we used to. The defense that limited Sidney Crosby's effectiveness for almost the entirety of the playoffs the last two seasons is now gone. We lack the shutdown defenseman that we've had in years past with Alzner.

Our defense core last year in the playoffs was Orlov, Niskanen, Carlson, Schmidt, Alzner, Shattenkirk and Orpik (except Shattenkirk sucked with us). This year? Orlov, Niskanen, Carlson, Djoos, Bowey, Orpik, and Chorney. Massive drop off there. Unless we were to acquire someone like Niklas Hjalmarsson, I doubt our ability to support Holtby in a series against Columbus or Pittsburgh.

RAIF, you have no idea how much I want you to be right. I'd give my kidney for you to be right. But there is no reason why this team can make a run, when last year's team couldn't. On paper, that was one of the best teams in a long time that didn't win the Cup. With all the production we lost, both offensively and defensively, there's very little expectation for this team come April.

To be fair, the only reason Washington loses in the playoffs is because they have a mental hurdle of playing Pittsburgh. They're still a very good team, and while they don't stack up to Tampa Bay/Toronto in my book, they have the talent to blitz anyone else out of the East playoffs. And with Pittsburgh clearly missing the playoffs this year, who knows!
Dec. 14, 2017 at 6:15 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: tadhockey

To be fair, the only reason Washington loses in the playoffs is because they have a mental hurdle of playing Pittsburgh. They're still a very good team, and while they don't stack up to Tampa Bay/Toronto in my book, they have the talent to blitz anyone else out of the East playoffs. And with Pittsburgh clearly missing the playoffs this year, who knows!

Not sure why everyone is so hung up on the idea that it's Pittsburgh that gives us playoff troubles. We've lost plenty of times to the Rangers in the playoffs, including a few years ago when we blew a 3-1 lead and lost Game 7 in OT. Also a heartbreaker to Montreal (another blown 3-1 lead), a sweep at the hands of Tampa, a Game 7 loss to the Flyers like 10 years ago...I think that's it.

There is no mental hurdle of playing Pittsburgh. We thoroughly outplayed them in at least 6/7 games during the series last year, we just ran into a hot goalie in Fleury (plus Holtby didn't play up to Holtby standards, but even with that we were clearly the better team).
Dec. 29, 2017 at 7:28 p.m.
You can't honestly pick anyone other than Tampa. Washington never, Bruins have a better shot at catching Tampa than the Caps
Dec. 30, 2017 at 12:27 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: PaulDunnill
You can't honestly pick anyone other than Tampa. Washington never, Bruins have a better shot at catching Tampa than the Caps

Let’s not get too ridiculous now, Paul.
DoctorBreakfast liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit