SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CHI / ARI) - Duclair, Clendening for Pánik, Dauphin

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 10, 2018 at 6:52 p.m.
A trade between Chicago Blackhawks and Arizona Coyotes has been confirmed.
Trade Details
Arizona Coyotes Acquire:
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
Richard Pánik · $2,800,000$2,800,000$2,800,000
Laurent Dauphin · $0$745,000$70,000 (AHL/JR)
Sum: $2,800,000$3,545,000$2,870,000
Change: +$1,600,000
Change: +$1,695,000
Change: +$1,020,000
Chicago Blackhawks Acquire:
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
Adam Clendening · $0$650,000$650,000 (AHL/JR)
Anthony Duclair · $1,200,000$1,200,000$1,200,000
Sum: $1,200,000$1,850,000$1,850,000
Change: -$1,600,000
Change: -$1,695,000
Change: -$1,020,000
Jan. 10, 2018 at 6:57 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
If the change of scenery is good to Duclair, he can hit around 45 points consistently. Clendening provides some added defensive depth. Win for the Hawks in my books.
Jan. 10, 2018 at 7:01 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Didn't they just trade Dauphin to Chicago 6 months ago? Sticking Out Tongue
PrincessChloe, ProfessorFuzzymuffins, Missouri and 4 others liked this.
Jan. 10, 2018 at 7:17 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: ricochetii

Yep. At the end of the day, this is basically what happened

Arizona Coyotes
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Richard Panik

Chicago Blackhawks
Connor Murphy
Anthony Duclair
Adam Clendening

That looks like a huge win for Arizona, and this particular trade is a win for Chicago. That just goes to show how bad the Hjalmarsson trade was for the Hawks.
Jan. 10, 2018 at 7:17 p.m.
Duclair is younger and has a higher ceiling than Panik. He could use a fresh start. Hawks win.
Jan. 10, 2018 at 7:32 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Hawks win and it's not even close.
Jan. 10, 2018 at 7:58 p.m.
*Stan Bowman, in a river towards Lottery Ocean"
Stan - "Help! I'm getting swept away!"
*Suddenly, a life preserver appears*
John Chayka - "Of course, here, have mine!"

Duclair isn't a major change. He's probably not much more than a 20-goal, 50-point player in his best years. But that's STILL better than Panik AND he's younger.

I hate when the Coyotes **** up like this, because it makes analytics look stupid. It takes an idiot to accept this deal as the best offer to come.
krakowitz liked this.
Jan. 10, 2018 at 8:06 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
eh. both teams seemed to have soured on their respective players (I'm not really considering Clendening or Dauphin; ironic, though, that they were traded back to the teams that drafted them). Duclair had, I think, asked for a trade, and I suspect Tocchet didn't think Duclair was a fit in his system. Pánik had been healthy-scratched a few times in December, himself.

and, yeah, Duclair has more potential, but the Coyotes' system has enough of a "talented prospect" buffer. besides, Chayka has to figure out how to pay all those talented young players in his system (Domi, Rieder, Dvorak, Perlini, Chychrun), and, at the end of the day, Pánik gives him cost certainty for '18 - '19. money's a finite resource, and there's only so much of it to go around if he wants to pay his players fairly. besides, if Duclair does do something like go out and win the Rocket Richard (or even if he goes back to being a 20 G. 45 P player), Bowman's gonna have a hell of a time getting out from under the salary ceiling that he's face-planted the Blackhawks up against.
Jan. 10, 2018 at 8:13 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Arizona got robbed
Jan. 10, 2018 at 8:52 p.m.
Blackhawks Fanatic.
Its hard on the full on trade combination that you can add. But in this particular one, i think the Hawks win it, Just because they get a 22 year old kid who can be one of the best players in the league with some few changes, and having a new team will help him out a lot more
Jan. 10, 2018 at 9:15 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Quoting: krakowitz

That looks like a huge win for Arizona, and this particular trade is a win for Chicago. That just goes to show how bad the Hjalmarsson trade was for the Hawks.

hawks have had quite a few trades that appear lopsided on paper in the last couple of years, but they've in a cap space bind for a couple of years now.
Jan. 10, 2018 at 10:04 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: Banks
hawks have had quite a few trades that appear lopsided on paper in the last couple of years, but they've in a cap space bind for a couple of years now.

It’s a shame that cap space has had to hamper their team. They also had Byfuglien and Leddy once upon a time. If there was no salary cap, this team would've been one of the truly elite dynasties.
Jan. 10, 2018 at 11:04 p.m.
May contain nuts
From Jeremy Morin to Richard Panik to Anthony Duclair. Now that's asset management.
exo2769, tad77, Hockeyplayer1 and 3 others liked this.
Jan. 11, 2018 at 8:34 a.m.
WentWughes
Chayka on Duclair: "There's a lot of things that go into a trade. Some of them are readily apparent. You see Anthony play and his speed and skill is obvious to everyone. There's some thing that I think should stay behind closed doors."

Don't really know what to think about this, but something we don't know is happening
Jan. 11, 2018 at 8:46 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Quoting: ProfessorFuzzymuffins
Duclair is younger and has a higher ceiling than Panik. He could use a fresh start. Hawks win.

Agreed. Also Clendening is basically a depth addition for chicago, and I have no clue why Coyotes want Dauphin back.
Jan. 11, 2018 at 9:12 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Jan. 11, 2018 at 9:42 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Chayka on Duclair: "There's a lot of things that go into a trade. Some of them are readily apparent. You see Anthony play and his speed and skill is obvious to everyone. There's some thing that I think should stay behind closed doors."

Don't really know what to think about this, but something we don't know is happening

I think that's somewhat obvious too, no??? Duclair wants NHL ice time and Chayka wasn't willing to give that to him. So Duclair probably did have a few choice words...as I would too! He got 44 points as a rookie and then it was immediately bouncing him back and forth between PHX & Tuscon. Poor player management by Chayka. With that said I actually do agree with @DragonRaptorHybrid they do have enough high end talent. They need more guys like Panik. My concern as a Hawks fan going forward is...will Bowman give Duclair a $3M contract next year?!?!?! I don't care if he scores 45 points just in the 2nd half of the season! Enough with the overpayment contracts Bowman!!! Panik was lucky to be in the NHL and you gave him $2.8M! Duclair should be trilled to be out of PHX. Tell him low contracts help keep you in the NHL...play your butt off and we'll see the next time your contract is up.
Jan. 11, 2018 at 10:27 a.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: exo2769
I think that's somewhat obvious too, no??? Duclair wants NHL ice time and Chayka wasn't willing to give that to him. So Duclair probably did have a few choice words...as I would too! He got 44 points as a rookie and then it was immediately bouncing him back and forth between PHX & Tuscon. Poor player management by Chayka. With that said I actually do agree with @DragonRaptorHybrid they do have enough high end talent. They need more guys like Panik. My concern as a Hawks fan going forward is...will Bowman give Duclair a $3M contract next year?!?!?! I don't care if he scores 45 points just in the 2nd half of the season! Enough with the overpayment contracts Bowman!!! Panik was lucky to be in the NHL and you gave him $2.8M! Duclair should be trilled to be out of PHX. Tell him low contracts help keep you in the NHL...play your butt off and we'll see the next time your contract is up.

Chayka hasn't been the one keeping him off the ice. Tocchet is the one that sets the lineup card every night and controls ice time. The reason Duclair was back and forth between Tuscon and Arizona last season was because he was playing terribly. 15 points in 58 games is awful for a guy that scored 20 goals just the season before.
Jan. 11, 2018 at 10:32 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Chayka hasn't been the one keeping him off the ice. Tocchet is the one that sets the lineup card every night and controls ice time. The reason Duclair was back and forth between Tuscon and Arizona last season was because he was playing terribly. 15 points in 58 games is awful for a guy that scored 20 goals just the season before.

I simply disagree. Dave Tippett was a problem last year. There was a power struggle between the two and Chayka saw him out the door...now it's on him. At some point he needs to take responsibility both good and bad.
Jan. 11, 2018 at 10:45 a.m.
Edited Jan. 11, 2018 at 11:22 a.m.
Quoting: exo2769
Duclair wants NHL ice time and Chayka wasn't willing to give that to him. So Duclair probably did have a few choice words...as I would too! He got 44 points as a rookie and then it was immediately bouncing him back and forth between PHX & Tuscon. Poor player management by Chayka.

The GM should have no influence in a players ice time. In fact the GM generally doesn't determine call-ups, send downs, or waivers without a lot of influence from the coaching staff. Maybe that is whats happening in Arizona but that seems like poor managing

What Chayka was referring to could have been a handful of things including, not getting along with teammates, disagreeing and arguing with coaching staff, disrespecting upper management, or even being just a downright arrogant and ignorant person. We have no clue and Chayka did the right move by not revealing their issues to the public. One or two bad apples can ruin an entire teams chemistry and cause many issues.
Quoting: krakowitz
Yep. At the end of the day, this is basically what happened
Arizona Coyotes
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Richard Panik
Chicago Blackhawks
Connor Murphy
Anthony Duclair
Adam Clendening

I'd still rather have Hammer. He may be struggling in Arizona but it is after all his first team/system/city/coaching change he has had in his NHL career. Who's to say that he just doesn't fit well with the Yotes. He fit in the Hawks system in every way and is literally their biggest missing piece this season.
Jan. 11, 2018 at 2:44 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
At this moment Panik is better than Duclair, but Duclair has more potential, especially on a top line.
Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:49 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: ricochetii

Real life has turned into the GM game, lol
Hockeylover360 liked this.
Feb. 12, 2018 at 5:55 p.m.
HawksFan28
Ha, I could totally see Bowman re-signing Hjalmarsson as a UFA in 2019 and I suspect he will.

Only reason why Bowman traded Hammer was because he was forced to.

Truth is that if Bowman wasn't terrorized by the salary cap, the Blackhawks would have won 2 or 3 more cups... Look at all the great players he was forced to trade over the years, it's sad.
Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:33 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
Quoting: HawksFan28
Ha, I could totally see Bowman re-signing Hjalmarsson as a UFA in 2019 and I suspect he will.

Truth is that if Bowman wasn't terrorized by the salary cap, the Blackhawks would have won 2 or 3 more cups... Look at all the great players he was forced to trade over the years, it's sad.

really not fair everybody has to play by the same rules, isn't it?
Feb. 12, 2018 at 7:03 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

Was it really the salary cap? Hjalmarsson's cap hit is only slightly higher than Murphy's, and they could've traded a guy like Panik before hand. After they were swept by the Preds, Bowman did say that changes were coming. Seems like he just changed things up just to change things up. The salary situation was almost identical, and the roster became so much worse on paper.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:39 a.m.
Below Market Value

Oh so you want another Seabrook situation on your hands?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit