Forums/Armchair-GM

Here's what I sincerely believe will happen by the deadline. DETAILED analysis

Created by: joshelkin
Team: 2017-18 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 12, 2018
Published: Jan. 12, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Background: As almost everyone knows, the Islanders season went from scorching hot to a screeching halt following the injuries of Calvin De Haan and Johnny Boychuk and atrocious goalie play. As of late, it appears the latter has turned it around. But the defense (in the Isles own end) and bottom-6 scoring touch have continued to be lackluster. All of this is happening at perhaps the worst time possible: John Tavares and Josh Bailey's contract years.

Problem: Does Garth Snow trust his coaching staff and roster to turn themselves around without intervention or must he explore the markets and add to the team?

Needs:
1) A right handed, top-4 defenseman who has proven to be reliable in his own end.
2) Middle-line scorer who can ignite his new linemates and/or push Jason Chimera/Shane Prince/Alan Quine out of the lineup
3) Goalie who is more consistent than what the Isles have had for the majority of the season.

Surplus:
1) Young prospects with up-side on offense/defense
2) Draft picks

Trade block:
Brock Nelson (as reported by Elliotte Friedman)
Draft picks
Prospects

Trade rationale:
1) Tyson Barrie broke his hand on 12/27 and expected to be sidelined 4-6 weeks. I'm projecting this trade to happen down the line rather than today, so he will be back by the time of the deal. Barrie is under contract for 2 additional seasons after this and fills the Islanders RHD need. I also believe COL will be further down in the standings and more open to making a move. Ho-Sang has electric speed and a playmaking ability. His problem seems to be losing the puck in the neutral zone, but his skill is unquestionable and is likely a future Top-6 forward. The Islanders make this move because they need to prove to JT and Bailey they are willing to go all in.

2) As Elliotte Friedman reported, Nelson is on the block. I also found it interesting that he mentioned that Nelson can get down on himself, which explains why he disappears in spurts. The Isles should give him a new start in VAN. While the Vanek experiment didn't work exceptionally well the first time around, he would only be asked to play half a season here and is a more consistent upgrade to the 3rd line. (just a note - I also considered a Maroon for Nelson straight swap) but thought VAN gave a more complete deal. Nilsson for Greiss is almost an even swap but the Isles kick in a 2nd to sweeten the overall deal.

Conclusion: the below two trades may not necessarily solve all of the Islanders problems, but they are a sincere attempt to patch the glaring holes. Garth Snow cannot sit idly by (yet again) as his team sputters. There comes a time where enough is enough. I expect the Islanders to be active players up until the trade deadline.
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$75,000,000$63,304,166$0$3,495,000$11,695,834
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$3,300,000$3,300,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
C, RW
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,200,000$2M)
LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 5
$850,000$850,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 4
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 3
$770,000$770,000 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$625,000$625,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,300,000$3,300,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,187,500$4,187,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 12, 2018 at 10:44 p.m.
Don't personally think that's enough for Barrie.

As for the other deal in my opinion you guys would be better going after Vanek on his own, and then Lehner from Buffalo. I see Lehner as a perfect fit as do many.
Jan. 12, 2018 at 10:51 p.m.
Islanders Fan
Quoting: Matthews34
Don't personally think that's enough for Barrie.

As for the other deal in my opinion you guys would be better going after Vanek on his own, and then Lehner from Buffalo. I see Lehner as a perfect fit as do many.

Lehner makes sense. I've posted that thought here numerous times. I was probably one of, if not the first, to do so. Just wanted to keep the number of trades to a minimum as it's more realistic.

What do you think needs to be added to Barrie? CGY's 2nd?
Jan. 12, 2018 at 10:57 p.m.
Quoting: joshelkin
Lehner makes sense. I've posted that thought here numerous times. I was probably one of, if not the first, to do so. Just wanted to keep the number of trades to a minimum as it's more realistic.

What do you think needs to be added to Barrie? CGY's 2nd?

I think you're getting there. Not sure if Colorado is interested in more futures, they may want a young player of Barrie's value, but maybe the 2nd gets you real close.
Jan. 12, 2018 at 11:33 p.m.
1. there is no shot that under any circumstance COL moves one of their right handed D men.

2. there is no way in hell Garth Snow Trades for someone who spurned his max offer. he is far to proud and pompous to bring vanek back. furthermore, a 3rd Center is more important than depth winger.

3. in the same vain as the comments about Vanek there is no way in hell Garth snow brings back a player he gave up on in Anders nilsson. not to mention he plays like **** under distress. he needs a team to play solid defense in front of him top be remotely successful. good team defense = not the islanders.

the only trade here that patches any holes is the barrie trade and that is just not happening especially with the Avs in a playoff hunt and even still probably would never happen given the lack of depth of RH top end D in their organization. The team needs are as Follows:

top 4 defense man (preferably RH or comfortable off hand LH D bc pelech plays MUCH better on his strong side than his weak)

3rd line Center

starting goalie upgrade: the islanders do not need a back up replacement. they probably dont need to replace halak either, however if the right goalie becomes available in trade, one who is used to playing under distress like Lehner or Howard, then I could see a trade being made.
Jan. 12, 2018 at 11:48 p.m.
Islanders Fan
Quoting: trickydick55
1. there is no shot that under any circumstance COL moves one of their right handed D men.

2. there is no way in hell Garth Snow Trades for someone who spurned his max offer. he is far to proud and pompous to bring vanek back. furthermore, a 3rd Center is more important than depth winger.

3. in the same vain as the comments about Vanek there is no way in hell Garth snow brings back a player he gave up on in Anders nilsson. not to mention he plays like **** under distress. he needs a team to play solid defense in front of him top be remotely successful. good team defense = not the islanders.

the only trade here that patches any holes is the barrie trade and that is just not happening especially with the Avs in a playoff hunt and even still probably would never happen given the lack of depth of RH top end D in their organization. The team needs are as Follows:

top 4 defense man (preferably RH or comfortable off hand LH D bc pelech plays MUCH better on his strong side than his weak)

3rd line Center

starting goalie upgrade: the islanders do not need a back up replacement. they probably dont need to replace halak either, however if the right goalie becomes available in trade, one who is used to playing under distress like Lehner or Howard, then I could see a trade being made.

Quoting: trickydick55

3rd line Center

What exactly can you do in hell? And can you tell me where you got your online PhD in psychology? Give it a rest my man.
Jan. 12, 2018 at 11:54 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I propose that Pulock is expendable if you're bringing in Barrie, and would probably be the cost of doing business with the Avs here. Put him in place of Wotherspoon and I think it works for both sides.
You might make the argument that the Isles are better off keeping Pulock and waiting on their prospects, but that goes out the window if your proposal is to prove your commitment to winning NOW.

Unfortunately, the Islanders have many needs, so they will have to be very active in order to turn things around. Vancouver trade doesn't really solve any issues imo. I'd forget that and look elsewhere, focusing on someone ready to be a starting goaltender. Either one buried behind an established starter or someone young ready to make the leap into a tandem.
Jan. 13, 2018 at 12:36 a.m.
Quoting: joshelkin
What exactly can you do in hell? And can you tell me where you got your online PhD in psychology? Give it a rest my man.

I have Bachelors in Business Management from the University of Scranton. and getting a second undergrad degree in sports management since for some reason you are concerned about my education level.

your moves made no sense. Colorado is in a wildcard position, have only 2 RH shots in their entire D core and you expect to give up their number 1 defense man who is a right handed shot, under contract for 3 more years at decent number, for a player who was just scratched in the AHL, the islanders, what, 5th ranked defensive prospect (Toews, Pulock, Aho, Vande Somple, THEN wotherspoon) and a 1st? are you high? it cost Washington their 2nd best forward prospect, and a 1st and conditional 2nd for 2 months of Shattenkirk. NYR paid a lottery 1st a 2nd a top prospect an nhl Depth D for 2 months of Keith Yandle, a 4th and some salary retention.

then you think hes going to trade for vanek.... again LOL. and trade for another Back up goalie (who is worse than the one they have btw) for a 2nd round pick, a career 20 per year goal scoring RFA and the current backup? LMFAO. These moves dont make any sense and have no basis in reality
Jan. 13, 2018 at 9:16 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I don't know why the Isles would trade so much for Barrie. Isles are likely out of the playoffs this year. So now you really only have him for two years. My suggestion is to keep your assets, and then with that Barrie money spend on free agents. I really don't understand how having Barrie, would really affect Bailey's and Tavares' UFA thoughts.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll