SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

What is OEL's trade value?

Jan. 14, 2018 at 7:10 p.m.
May contain nuts
Post your responses in the thread what you think a reasonable return for him would look like.
Jan. 14, 2018 at 7:17 p.m.
Toronto Maple Leafs
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
2018 6th round pick (ARI)

Arizona Coyotes
William Nylander
2018 2nd round pick*
*Arizona will receive the better of the two second round picks owned by Toronto in 2018 (TOR/SJS)
Jan. 14, 2018 at 7:22 p.m.
Ethereal
Last relevant defenseman trades seem to be;
Vatanen for Henrique (Loss for Anaheim imo)
Weber for Subban (Loss for Montreal arguably)
Larsson for Hall (Loss for Edmonton arguably)

That being said if cap hits are relevant;
a top line forward or
younger unproven top-pair defenseman (Subban was unproven as a top-pairing defenseman at the time, arguably still is).
Jan. 15, 2018 at 2:27 a.m.
CFGM Game Moderator
I know what I have in mind for what it would take for me to move him. But still interesting to hear what some of you more experienced people have to say.
Jan. 15, 2018 at 6:17 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Toronto Maple Leafs
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
2018 6th round pick (ARI)

Arizona Coyotes
William Nylander
2018 2nd round pick*
*Arizona will receive the better of the two second round picks owned by Toronto in 2018 (TOR/SJS)

Toronto looses this trade. If we gt OEL it will be: Gardiner+1st+top prospect.
Jan. 15, 2018 at 6:54 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Since there is so little imagination in the past six months.......OEL for a Toronto 7th rounder. OEL seems to have so little value to the other 29 teams in the NHL, since it seems he can only be traded to the Leafs.
Now I really don't know why the Leafs would really give up futures for him. Leafs aren't Cup Finalist with him this year or likely next year. Seems so stupid,, yes I'll say stupid that folks would think the Leafs would trade their second best forward, a young forward for 1.5 year of OEL, which in 50% of the posts. Would any other team in the league give up so much? No. Only the Leafs. But if Nylander and more seems to be the going rate, why not these trades.
Nylander and a second. Then why not. Provorov and a second.. Ehlers and a second. McAvoy and a second. Ristolian and second. Parayko and as second. Those fan bases would be screaming, silly trades, to give up so much good youth for such short term benefit, and there not might even be an short term benefit either.
Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:48 a.m.
Quoting: DarylthePony
Toronto looses this trade. If we gt OEL it will be: Gardiner+1st+top prospect.

I don't think Arizona will ship OEL for that only because they will have better offers. I just think this is the price for OEL.
Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:28 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I don't see him being moved. It's all just rumours. I think Arizona will have to get offered something crazy to even think about moving OEL.
Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:19 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I don't see him being moved. It's all just rumours. I think Arizona will have to get offered something crazy to even think about moving OEL.

And the point of this thread is to show what it would take to move OEL
Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:54 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Top prospect + 1st rounder + mid round pick + decent player that can be used as deadline bait for Arizona.
get ur corsi up
Top prospect + 1st rounder + mid round pick + decent player that can be used as deadline bait for Arizona.
get ur corsi up
Jan. 15, 2018 at 12:11 p.m.
Boston Bruins
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Arizona Coyotes
Ryan Spooner
Adam McQuaid
2018 1st Round Pick
2019 2nd Round Pick
Urho Vaakanainen

In general, I like the formula
Top Prospect (#1-3 in system) - 2018 or 2019 1st Round Pick - 2018/19/20 2nd Round Pick - Middle six forward who is relatively young - Salary needed to balance trade
Jan. 15, 2018 at 4:18 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Arizona needs some experience in their lineup to support their youth up front, imo.
A top 6 veteran forward and a top D prospect (or young NHL ready D with top pairing potential) should be the base. It would take more, but that's just accounting for value and could be anything. They should make their decision based on the relatively known quantities rather than what is added on top.

Pacioretty and Juulsen or Mete + picks
Makes sense for both teams in the off season with extensions in place. With the pick order known, they will have an idea of who those picks might net them.

JVR and Liljegren + picks
Makes less sense with Reilly and Gardiner already entrenched, but Toronto seems to want him. JVR would have to sign an extension first, but it's up to Toronto to hang onto OEL once they get him.

As for the picks involved, start with a 1st. It might be next year instead if the pick is top 10. Other picks, up to a 2nd are what teams will use to sweeten their offer over others, but in the end will all amount to bonuses.
It shouldn't be about total value for Arizona but focused on what best suits their needs.
Jan. 15, 2018 at 5:03 p.m.
Realistically?

Look at what Duchene got from Ottawa. Now replace some of the pieces with better pieces. (Maybe remove some extra pieces since the upgrading already good pieces is worth more)

OEL is not just a good young player like Duchene, he is elite. How often do elite dmen come along at that age in their primes? Somebody want to go browse through the NHL trade books and find out? He's younger than both Subban and Weber when they were traded. Beter than Adam Larsson by a football field, better than Keith Yandle. Seth Jones was a lot younger and less established so its hard to measure against what he was back then. He's better than Hamilton. Better than Shattenkirk...... there really isn't precedence for a player of OEL's calibre.

It'll also depends on what type of return ARI wants. Futures or help right now? IMO getting futures is always the best bet to getting full value as 1 VS 1's or variations of, really diminish the amount of teams who have what you want and are willing to move that piece.

Obviously where the pick is situated and who the prospect is will change the overall package a lot but just going conservatively:

1 elite prospect + 1st round pick 2018 + Combination of lesser assets whether it be other draft picks and/or good but not great prospects. A cap dump will more then likely be included if necessary as well as retention on OEL could also be added to further improve the value coming back and to give more teams the ability to get into the action.

In all honesty, Chayka would be silly to not just keep him. These players are simply to rare to trade away.
Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:11 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
An OEL trade should only go to a team with a legit shot at the Cup, and no stripping the other club of important NHL pieces. So hate to inform to rain on the all these Leaf trades, that gets the Leafs out of the running.
The more logical buyers would be St Louis, Boston and Tampa Bay.
Jan. 15, 2018 at 7:16 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: tadhockey
Boston Bruins
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Arizona Coyotes
Ryan Spooner
Adam McQuaid
2018 1st Round Pick
2019 2nd Round Pick
Urho Vaakanainen

In general, I like the formula
Top Prospect (#1-3 in system) - 2018 or 2019 1st Round Pick - 2018/19/20 2nd Round Pick - Middle six forward who is relatively young - Salary needed to balance trade

You must be a Bruins fan. OEL can get them way more.
Jan. 16, 2018 at 10:12 a.m.
Below Market Value
Dallas Stars
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Arizona Coyotes
Esa Lindell
Antoine Roussel
2018 1st
Roope Hintz
tad77 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2018 at 2:35 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Dallas Stars
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Arizona Coyotes
Esa Lindell
Antoine Roussel
2018 1st
Roope Hintz

Same here. You a Stars fan i'm guessing? OEL would cost more than that IMO.
Jan. 16, 2018 at 3:32 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Same here. You a Stars fan i'm guessing? OEL would cost more than that IMO.

No I just picked a contending team that had a young, NHL defenseman to maybe fill the hole OEL would leave.

How would he cost more? Lindell is a young, cheap, top 4 LHD that's been playing top pair this season, Roussel is a good bottom six winger (although I only put him in here to make room for Dallas' cap situation), a first round pick, and Hintz is a pretty good prospect that projects to be a 2C or a top six winger.
Jan. 16, 2018 at 3:41 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
No I just picked a contending team that had a young, NHL defenseman to maybe fill the hole OEL would leave.

How would he cost more? Lindell is a young, cheap, top 4 LHD that's been playing top pair this season, Roussel is a good bottom six winger (although I only put him in here to make room for Dallas' cap situation), a first round pick, and Hintz is a pretty good prospect that projects to be a 2C or a top six winger.

OEL is one of the best d-men in the NHL, and though he's struggled a bit recently, Lindell isn't a top pairing d-man, and Roussel is a 3rd liner. A Dallas 1st would be pretty good but likely a later 1st. I've heard of Hintz, i didn't know he was supposed to be that good, so i'm sure he's a good prospect, but what here are they getting that's a really top piece? They're getting good pieces, but to even think about trading OEL i think they'd need something like Klingberg, which there's no way the Stars are doing. In the end, he doesn't get moved IMO.
Jan. 16, 2018 at 4:13 p.m.
Banned
Dallas Stars
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Arizona Coyotes
Esa Lindell
Antoine Roussel
2018 1st
Roope Hintz

Oliver Ekman-Larsson going to Dallas starts with Heiskanen and rightfully so.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll