SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

Players people say could be traded but obviously won't

Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:12 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
For me: Price, Karlsson, Tavares, and OEL.
Jan. 15, 2018 at 11:24 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Price, Tavares, Weber And a couple of trade (with a few provisions)Cole, Hagelin.....well they won't be traded for second rounders. Nylander will not traded for short term rental.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2018 at 3:42 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: palhal
Price, Tavares, Weber And a couple of trade (with a few provisions)Cole, Hagelin.....well they won't be traded for second rounders. Nylander will not traded for short term rental.

so are you saying Karlsson could get traded?
Jan. 16, 2018 at 4:36 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
so are you saying Karlsson could get traded?

Karlsson will get traded. And should be traded. For Ottawa's sake long term.
Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:31 p.m.

How would you value a year and a half of Karlsson? A couple of NHL-ready players, a slew of picks and prospects, something in between? This biased opinion says it's like trading for McDavid or Crosby, but he does only have 2 years left on his current deal.
Jan. 16, 2018 at 10:08 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Kaifin
How would you value a year and a half of Karlsson? A couple of NHL-ready players, a slew of picks and prospects, something in between? This biased opinion says it's like trading for McDavid or Crosby, but he does only have 2 years left on his current deal.

Hi Kaifin. Well unbiased opinion (fact) has Ottawa in the bottom ten this year. For long term value to the Sens he has be traded this TDL or this summer. My thoughts is that only teams are contenders would really have an interest in trading for Karlsson, cause the price would be relatively high. So that's really puts a lot of team out of the running (including the Leafs). I don't picks are that valuable in a trade to Ottawa cause they want NHLer players now, and picks in high 20s, take too long to develop...if at all. Tampa and Boston might have the prospects that would interest Ottawa. Even a wild card like Carolina might. But injuries to a Dman or two might change a true contender like Nashville and they might overpay for a Cup run. Trade value......two sure NHL prospects and a young good NHLer.
Jan. 16, 2018 at 11:56 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

He's 27 ... he can be part of their long-term future.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:26 a.m.
Tampa and Boston might have the prospects that would interest Ottawa. Even a wild card like Carolina might. But injuries to a Dman or two might change a true contender like Nashville and they might overpay for a Cup run. Trade value......two sure NHL prospects and a young good NHLer.

Tampa and Nashville were the two I was thinking, should he be traded. It wouldn't cost what people in the AGMs and forum comments think. Three first round picks, two top prospects, and two established NHLers. Like you said, 1-2 sure-fire prospects, and 1, maybe 2 young NHLers (1 forward, 1 defense?) If Ottawa did make that trade with Tampa or Nashville, I vote we forego the playoffs and hand out the Cup to whichever team acquires him. Karlsson, Hedman, Sergachev, Stralman --- Karlsson, Subban, Josi, Ekholm. It's disgusting to think about any team playing against that... Personally speaking though, no matter how bad this season goes. I don't see Karlsson being traded- at least not this year.

As for the others mentioned above. I don't believe Price is going anywhere unless Bergevin can find a team willing to pay 10.5m to a 30 year old goalie for the next 8 years. Montreal signed him to that albatross of a contract, and they can keep him. Tavares has been talked about all season but with the way the Islanders are playing now, I think he'll end up re-signing. Looking at their roster, they could do with some upgrades to their forwards and defense, but once they get that consistent goaltender they'll look pretty damn good. Ekman-Larsson... Arizona looked to be a decent team heading into this season, with the additions of Stepan, Raanta, and Hjalmarsson, but have pulled an Arizona once again. Like with Karlsson, I think Ekman-Larsson stays until the final year of his contract unless they get an offer they would be foolish to refuse. If he were to be traded I could see him going to a team like Tampa or Nashville in place of Karlsson. Let the roasting commence.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 1:50 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Tampa and Nashville were the two I was thinking, should he be traded. It wouldn't cost what people in the AGMs and forum comments think. Three first round picks, two top prospects, and two established NHLers. Like you said, 1-2 sure-fire prospects, and 1, maybe 2 young NHLers (1 forward, 1 defense?) If Ottawa did make that trade with Tampa or Nashville, I vote we forego the playoffs and hand out the Cup to whichever team acquires him. Karlsson, Hedman, Sergachev, Stralman --- Karlsson, Subban, Josi, Ekholm. It's disgusting to think about any team playing against that... Personally speaking though, no matter how bad this season goes. I don't see Karlsson being traded- at least not this year.

As for the others mentioned above. I don't believe Price is going anywhere unless Bergevin can find a team willing to pay 10.5m to a 30 year old goalie for the next 8 years. Montreal signed him to that albatross of a contract, and they can keep him. Tavares has been talked about all season but with the way the Islanders are playing now, I think he'll end up re-signing. Looking at their roster, they could do with some upgrades to their forwards and defense, but once they get that consistent goaltender they'll look pretty damn good. Ekman-Larsson... Arizona looked to be a decent team heading into this season, with the additions of Stepan, Raanta, and Hjalmarsson, but have pulled an Arizona once again. Like with Karlsson, I think Ekman-Larsson stays until the final year of his contract unless they get an offer they would be foolish to refuse. If he were to be traded I could see him going to a team like Tampa or Nashville in place of Karlsson. Let the roasting commence.

OEL will probably re-sign IMO.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 10:46 a.m.
Below Market Value

Tampa would make sense if they don't feel comfortable with Dotchin in their top 4. But defense is the last thing Nashville needs. Nashville needs more scoring forwards, especially since Forsberg is out for a while, and Arvidsson may be heading that way too. Outside of that top line and Turris (whose line with Fiala and Smith has cooled off), they don't have a lot of firepower. Getting a guy like Evander Kane or Thomas Vanek or maybe even bringing Hornqvist back (assuming Pittsburgh is out of the playoff race) would help them up top.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:10 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Tampa would make sense if they don't feel comfortable with Dotchin in their top 4. But defense is the last thing Nashville needs. Nashville needs more scoring forwards, especially since Forsberg is out for a while, and Arvidsson may be heading that way too. Outside of that top line and Turris (whose line with Fiala and Smith has cooled off), they don't have a lot of firepower. Getting a guy like Evander Kane or Thomas Vanek or maybe even bringing Hornqvist back (assuming Pittsburgh is out of the playoff race) would help them up top.

yeah, Nashville has no need for another top d-man like Karlsson. They might already have the best defence in the league. And the Penguins will more likely than not make the playoffs IMO, so they likely keep Hornqvist. I could maybe see them going after Vanek. I see Kane as a better fit with the Preds though. With what i've heard he doesn't have a great attitude and isn't the best teammate, but a new team could really help him, and i like the Preds as a good fit for Kane. They shouldn't go crazy with what they're giving up though. Like if Buffalo wants one of their top 4 d-men then no. But maybe for a 1st, a forward, and another pick/prospect if they know they can re-sign him then sure, there's no problem with that.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 1:35 p.m.
OEL will probably re-sign IMO.

Most likely. But out of the players you mentioned (Price, Karlsson, Tavares, Ekman-Larsson), if any were to be traded, I could see it being OEL.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 4:25 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Of MTL players, definitely not Weber and Price and probably not Chucky.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 5:11 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
He's 27 ... he can be part of their long-term future.

He (Karlsson) can be, but there is such a thing U FREE A. Free being the optimal word. I don't think he's resigning.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 5:44 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Most likely. But out of the players you mentioned (Price, Karlsson, Tavares, Ekman-Larsson), if any were to be traded, I could see it being OEL.

i agree ... IF one of them is traded.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 5:45 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: EthanK24
Of MTL players, definitely not Weber and Price and probably not Chucky.

likely Galchenyuk could be moved.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 5:47 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
He (Karlsson) can be, but there is such a thing U FREE A. Free being the optimal word. I don't think he's resigning.

Pierre Dorion was up for GMOTY last year, he'll do anything to re-sign Karlsson.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 7:34 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
likely Galchenyuk could be moved.

Him and Drouin seem to have developed good chemistry, it's very unlikely Bergevin would move him.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 8:00 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Pierre Dorion was up for GMOTY last year, he'll do anything to re-sign Karlsson.

You really don't get it do you? It isn't Dorion's choice. Karlsson has the biggest say.....hence the term unrestricted FREE agent.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 10:03 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
You really don't get it do you? It isn't Dorion's choice. Karlsson has the biggest say.....hence the term unrestricted FREE agent.

Yeah, but why would Karlsson choose not to stay?
Jan. 17, 2018 at 10:24 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Yeah, but why would Karlsson choose not to stay?

Gee, you're pounding a dead horse. Why do any UFAs leave? Lots of reasons. More money, a real chance of team success, a chance for more personal success. Just the change of another challenge.
You ask " Why would Karlsson choose not to say"? The real question is with 31 teams in the NHL, "Why would choose Ottawa?"
Jan. 17, 2018 at 10:31 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Gee, you're pounding a dead horse. Why do any UFAs leave? Lots of reasons. More money, a real chance of team success, a chance for more personal success. Just the change of another challenge.
You ask " Why would Karlsson choose not to say"? The real question is with 31 teams in the NHL, "Why would choose Ottawa?"

because he plays there now, has always played there. He's used to playing there, he probably has a lot of friends there on the team. Why would he leave? Really, what is the main reason he would leave the Senators?
Jan. 17, 2018 at 10:48 p.m.
because he plays there now, has always played there. He's used to playing there, he probably has a lot of friends there on the team. Why would he leave? Really, what is the main reason he would leave the Senators?

To win. At the end of the day he is going to do what is best for him and his family. It's like asking whether or not you will go to college twice as far away if it increased your chances of being happier by twice as much, relative to where you could go.

Just because you don't play on the same team anymore, doesn't mean you cannot be friends.

Erik Karlsson should be interested in going to a team with an upwards trajectory within the first part of his new deal.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 10:52 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni
To win. At the end of the day he is going to do what is best for him and his family. It's like asking whether or not you will go to college twice as far away if it increased your chances of being happier by twice as much, relative to where you could go.

Just because you don't play on the same team anymore, doesn't mean you cannot be friends.

Erik Karlsson should be interested in going to a team with an upwards trajectory within the first part of his new deal.

yeah, i know about the friends on different team thing, but i'm just saying he has no reason to leave, and the Senators can't lose him, he's too important to their team. I'm pretty much sure that he will decide to stay as he's the captain of the team as well as their best player, and a top 5 NHL player.
Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:00 p.m.
yeah, i know about the friends on different team thing, but i'm just saying he has no reason to leave, and the Senators can't lose him, he's too important to their team. I'm pretty much sure that he will decide to stay as he's the captain of the team as well as their best player, and a top 5 NHL player.

He has a very clear reason to leave: to maximize his chance to win and better position himself for the free agent market. he only has a modified 10 team no trade list. he would then have 21 teams that he would want to go to.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll