SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

Rick Nash - Potential Trade Deadline Acquisition?

Jan. 19, 2018 at 11:52 a.m.
An idea I've had kicking around in my head is the Bruins going a little back to the Lucic/Horton days and acquiring Rick Nash to play on Krecji's wing. While Nash is certainly an expensive player (nearly $8mil salary cap hit), he's an UFA this summer, so he won't block any upcoming prospect development, he has some finishing ability, and he plays the bang-and-crash game that Krecji succeeds with. Additionally, because of Nash's modified NTC and his high cap hit, the acquisition price likely won't be high. So here's my proposal:

Boston Bruins
Rick Nash (50% salary retained)
2018 5th Round Pick

New York Rangers
2018 2nd Round Pick
Zach Senyshyn
Adam McQuaid
Noel Acciari

Bruins Lines:
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krecji - Rick Nash
Heinen - Spooner - Backes
Schaller - Reilly Nash - Kuraly
Vatrano

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Grzelcyk - Miller
Postma

Rask
Khudobin

*Added Note: while I like the idea of acquiring Zuccarello more, the acquisition cost will be much, much higher. With Sweeney's relatively good drafting record, I'd like to keep the first round pick.
Jan. 21, 2018 at 10:12 a.m.
Quoting: tadhockey
An idea I've had kicking around in my head is the Bruins going a little back to the Lucic/Horton days and acquiring Rick Nash to play on Krecji's wing. While Nash is certainly an expensive player (nearly $8mil salary cap hit), he's an UFA this summer, so he won't block any upcoming prospect development, he has some finishing ability, and he plays the bang-and-crash game that Krecji succeeds with. Additionally, because of Nash's modified NTC and his high cap hit, the acquisition price likely won't be high. So here's my proposal:

Boston Bruins
Rick Nash (50% salary retained)
2018 5th Round Pick

New York Rangers
2018 2nd Round Pick
Zach Senyshyn
Adam McQuaid
Noel Acciari

Bruins Lines:
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krecji - Rick Nash
Heinen - Spooner - Backes
Schaller - Reilly Nash - Kuraly
Vatrano

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Grzelcyk - Miller
Postma

Rask
Khudobin

*Added Note: while I like the idea of acquiring Zuccarello more, the acquisition cost will be much, much higher. With Sweeney's relatively good drafting record, I'd like to keep the first round pick.

NO!!!!! Why would we give up all those assets to get an over the hill soft big man who has lost his touch??????????
Jan. 21, 2018 at 10:14 a.m.
Bruins are perfection right now. No need to change perfection!!!
Jan. 21, 2018 at 11:40 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: PaulDunnill
Bruins are perfection right now. No need to change perfection!!!

Agree with your Paul. The only thing that might change things would be an injury. Thinks the Rangers would like a good prospect, and if necessary the Bruins could afford one. Wouldn't want to take a current roster player off the Bruins (or almost any other trade partner) for Nash or any TDL acquisition.
Jan. 21, 2018 at 11:58 a.m.
BreKel
Not at all interested in giving up a prospect like Senyshyn on top of picks for a rental, especially Rick Nash. That's a big package, to me, for a few months (at most) of Nash, who walks. Bruins really should just stand pat and avoid rentals unless cheap. This isn't cheap.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 11:55 a.m.
Quoting: BreKel
Not at all interested in giving up a prospect like Senyshyn on top of picks for a rental, especially Rick Nash. That's a big package, to me, for a few months (at most) of Nash, who walks. Bruins really should just stand pat and avoid rentals unless cheap. This isn't cheap.

I'm not really a believer in standing pat when you have a shot to win. Do we need to go all in? Definitely not. There's a nice middle ground where we acquire a nice piece, but still keep our key assets (which include but are not limited to Zboril, Lauzon, Donato, Urho, and our next two first round picks).

Is the Nash trade perfect? No, but it also doesn't require us to mortgage critical components of our future, and gives us a nice piece to play with throughout the lineup.

Out of curiosity, what asset on that list are people most concerned about? Senyshyn? Accari? The 2nd Rounder? Maybe I'm missing something but none of these feel like top-level assets.
BreKel liked this.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 1:03 p.m.
Nor worth it. I'd maybe give up a 3rd or older prospect, but I'm not giving up any substantial for Nash. Right now Nash is on pace for another sub-40pt season and honestly hasn't been great this year. He's played well recently with 5pts in 4 games, but prior to that he had a stretch where he had 5 points in 20 games.

IMO (and I used to be a big Nash fan) is that he's vastly overrated.

For an "elite player" his Pts over an 82 games is (based on PPG) is 63 points. To put that into perspective, Krejci's is 62 points.

Over the last 6 years, Nash has cracked 30+ goals once and for his career Nash is a -5 at oiGF vs oiGA...Krejci in that same stats is +115
BreKel liked this.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 1:08 p.m.
I'm not really a believer in standing pat when you have a shot to win. Do we need to go all in? Definitely not. There's a nice middle ground where we acquire a nice piece, but still keep our key assets (which include but are not limited to Zboril, Lauzon, Donato, Urho, and our next two first round picks).

Is the Nash trade perfect? No, but it also doesn't require us to mortgage critical components of our future, and gives us a nice piece to play with throughout the lineup.

Out of curiosity, what asset on that list are people most concerned about? Senyshyn? Accari? The 2nd Rounder? Maybe I'm missing something but none of these feel like top-level assets.

Senyshyn - easily my biggest concern because he has size and speed. The kid can flat out score and before anyone wants to point out his 6 goals this year, I can tell you that they have him working on his all-around game. He's not always put in spots to just score...because that's not what he needs to develop.

Acciari - Huge loss, maybe. He's a big part of that 4th line and quietly goes unnoticed. Acciari can block shots, crash the net, lay hits and he does it all clean. Honeslty I don't know that there is a guy that can replace what he brings to the 4th line.

The 2nd is an unknown but we've done well with 2nd rounders in years past.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:43 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
Quoting: ON3M4N
Nor worth it. I'd maybe give up a 3rd or older prospect, but I'm not giving up any substantial for Nash. Right now Nash is on pace for another sub-40pt season and honestly hasn't been great this year. He's played well recently with 5pts in 4 games, but prior to that he had a stretch where he had 5 points in 20 games.

IMO (and I used to be a big Nash fan) is that he's vastly overrated.

For an "elite player" his Pts over an 82 games is (based on PPG) is 63 points. To put that into perspective, Krejci's is 62 points.

Over the last 6 years, Nash has cracked 30+ goals once and for his career Nash is a -5 at oiGF vs oiGA...Krejci in that same stats is +115

First - Nash has actually been one of NYRs better forwards this year. he's always driving offense (as evidenced by his xGF. however, he had trouble finishing and lots of bad luck so, subsequently the discrepancy between his xGF and his GF is one of the highest in the league. that being said, you're right - he's not the finisher he once was. his role has shifted his two way game improved a lot over the last 2 years and he's still a driver on the offensive end, especially when shielding the puck. currently he's striving in a first line role with Buchnevich (pass first playmaker) and Zibanejad (shooter), which might be the only line with a consistent possession game in NY. Nash isn't elite anymore but a high end middle 6 addition to every contending team. I'd compare the return to guys like Hanzal (even though he's younger) - so a late first and a prospect to get started. I don'zt know much about Senyshyn but at first glance the offer doesn't seem too outlandish to me, maybe a slight overpayment.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 6:46 p.m.

The word is they have their eye on Patrick Maroon!!
Jan. 23, 2018 at 6:48 p.m.
Quoting: Barathrum_Obama
First - Nash has actually been one of NYRs better forwards this year. he's always driving offense (as evidenced by his xGF. however, he had trouble finishing and lots of bad luck so, subsequently the discrepancy between his xGF and his GF is one of the highest in the league. that being said, you're right - he's not the finisher he once was. his role has shifted his two way game improved a lot over the last 2 years and he's still a driver on the offensive end, especially when shielding the puck. currently he's striving in a first line role with Buchnevich (pass first playmaker) and Zibanejad (shooter), which might be the only line with a consistent possession game in NY. Nash isn't elite anymore but a high end middle 6 addition to every contending team. I'd compare the return to guys like Hanzal (even though he's younger) - so a late first and a prospect to get started. I don'zt know much about Senyshyn but at first glance the offer doesn't seem too outlandish to me, maybe a slight overpayment.

Don't bother, it's not going to happen.....
Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:16 p.m.

Ah yes, the player who's stats have been pumped up by playing with Ryan Getzlaf and Connor McDavid. Definitely a solid addition.
Jan. 24, 2018 at 7:31 a.m.
BreKel

I have not heard that from anyone reputable. Do you have a source?
Jan. 30, 2018 at 5:21 p.m.

Kevin Paul Dupont of Boston Globe, I think it was a tweet from his account
Jan. 30, 2018 at 5:25 p.m.

11:25 a.m. January 23rd from his twitter account
Jan. 30, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
BreKel
11:25 a.m. January 23rd from his twitter account

Thanks. KPD is kind of a schmuck but I'm sure he still has some sources. Not sure Bruins/Oilers come together on a trade though. There is some bad blood, still, between Neely and Chiarelli.
Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:06 a.m.
Thanks. KPD is kind of a schmuck but I'm sure he still has some sources. Not sure Bruins/Oilers come together on a trade though. There is some bad blood, still, between Neely and Chiarelli.

I could care less if Bruins deal with anyone!! They are good to go as they are right now!!
Feb. 10, 2018 at 5:25 p.m.
That's way too much to give up for Nash. I understand the 2nd and McQuaid if they want him, but Senyshyn and Accari shouldn't be in consideration. I'd probably do 2nd + McQuaid + Fitzgerald for Nash 50%, which retaining doesn't matter to them at all except their owners pockets so it's not worth any extra value imo because it's a rental. I wouldn't up the game to anyone on our 4th line or our best / only real RH RW prospect. My overall thought on this would be that if you actually "win" a Rick Nash auction at the deadline, you've actually lost in the long run.
Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:04 a.m.
Quoting: FryesLeapMaine
That's way too much to give up for Nash. I understand the 2nd and McQuaid if they want him, but Senyshyn and Accari shouldn't be in consideration. I'd probably do 2nd + McQuaid + Fitzgerald for Nash 50%, which retaining doesn't matter to them at all except their owners pockets so it's not worth any extra value imo because it's a rental. I wouldn't up the game to anyone on our 4th line or our best / only real RH RW prospect. My overall thought on this would be that if you actually "win" a Rick Nash auction at the deadline, you've actually lost in the long run.

it's ok, it won't happen!!!!
Mar. 13, 2018 at 12:56 p.m.
Below Market Value
NO!!!!! Why would we give up all those assets to get an over the hill soft big man who has lost his touch??????????

lol
LicMysak and Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Mar. 13, 2018 at 11:46 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
lol

Thank God they didn't give up Senyshyn, McQuaid and Acciari!!!
Mar. 14, 2018 at 9:52 a.m.
Below Market Value
Thank God they didn't give up Senyshyn, McQuaid and Acciari!!!

Nope, they just acquired an over the hill soft big man who has lost his touch, right?
LicMysak liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll