Forums/Armchair-GM

various Bergefail asking prices for Patches

Created by: Blazingbat11
Team: 2017-18 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 14, 2018
Published: Jan. 20, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Let me start by saying, that most (if not all) of these teams DO NOT do these trades. I simply believe this is Bergevin's asking price for Patches right now. It's definitely a high asking price.

I think Bergevin isn't going to trade Pacioretty unless a center is coming the other way. end of story. When he traded his best asset in recent years (Sergachev) for Drouin, which is still "arguably" a fair trade, there's still a lot of backlash because he didn't use their best prospect for a center. Now Pacioretty is MTL's best asset, I think we can all agree there. and with Patches still under a cap friendly contract next year, there's nothing stopping Bergevin to waiting until this offseason to make a deal, although the longer he waits the lower the price will get.

These trade are, imo, only done if the teams here truly want to push for a cup run now. All deals have Center prospects drafted in the first round + 1st rd pick (that can have conditions attached to it) + another prospect drafted in either the late 1st or 2nd rd.
Trades
MTL
  1. Clague, Kale
  2. 2018 1st round pick (LAK)
Additional Details:
Gabe Vilardi
MTL
  1. Larsson, Jacob
  2. Steel, Sam
  3. 2018 1st round pick (ANA)
ANA
    Pacioretty
    MTL
    1. Dunn, Vince
    2. Thomas, Robert
    3. 2019 1st round pick (STL)
    STL
      Pacioretty
      MTL
      1. Joseph, Pierre-Olivier
      2. Strome, Dylan
      3. 2018 1st round pick (ARI)
      ARI
        Pacioretty
        MTL
        1. Jost, Tyson
        2. Meloche, Nicolas
        3. 2018 1st round pick (OTT)
        COL
          Pacioretty
          MTL
          1. Jacobs, Josh
          2. McLeod, Michael
          3. 2018 1st round pick (NJD)
          NJD
            Pacioretty
            MTL
            1. Roslovic, Jack
            2. Stanley, Logan
            3. 2018 1st round pick (WPG)
            WPG
              Pacioretty
              MTL
              1. Chytil, Filip
              2. Deangelo, Anthony
              3. 2018 1st round pick (NYR)
              NYR
                Pacioretty
                MTL
                1. Beauvillier, Anthony
                2. Bellows, Kieffer
                3. 2018 1st round pick (NYI)
                NYI
                  Pacioretty
                  DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the LAK
                  Logo of the ANA
                  Logo of the ARI
                  Logo of the OTT
                  Logo of the NJD
                  Logo of the WPG
                  Logo of the NYR
                  Logo of the NYI
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the CHI
                  Logo of the WSH
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the EDM
                  Logo of the LAK
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the STL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  Logo of the MTL
                  ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
                  23$75,000,000$58,198,809$0$182,500$16,801,191
                  Left WingCentreRight Wing
                  $5,500,000$5,500,000
                  LW, RW
                  UFA - 6
                  $3,000,000$3,000,000
                  C
                  UFA - 1
                  $3,750,000$3,750,000
                  RW, LW
                  UFA - 4
                  $4,900,000$4,900,000
                  LW, C, RW
                  UFA - 3
                  $912,500$912,500
                  C
                  UFA - 1
                  $3,900,000$3,900,000
                  C, RW
                  UFA - 5
                  $1,166,667$1,166,667
                  LW, RW
                  UFA - 2
                  $839,166$839,166
                  LW, RW
                  UFA - 2
                  $775,000$775,000
                  LW, RW
                  UFA - 1
                  $725,000$725,000
                  C, LW
                  UFA - 1
                  $650,000$650,000
                  C, LW, RW
                  UFA - 2
                  $725,000$725,000
                  LW
                  UFA - 1
                  $650,000$650,000
                  C
                  UFA - 2
                  Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
                  $748,333$748,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
                  LD/RD
                  UFA - 3
                  $7,857,143$7,857,143
                  RD
                  UFA - 9
                  $6,500,000$6,500,000
                  G
                  NMC
                  UFA - 1
                  $4,625,000$4,625,000
                  LD
                  M-NTC
                  UFA - 5
                  $5,500,000$5,500,000
                  RD
                  NMC
                  UFA - 4
                  $700,000$700,000
                  G
                  UFA - 1
                  $2,100,000$2,100,000
                  LD
                  UFA - 3
                  $1,100,000$1,100,000
                  LD/RD
                  UFA - 2
                  $925,000$925,000
                  LD
                  UFA - 1
                  $650,000$650,000
                  RD
                  UFA - 1
                  ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
                  $1,000,000$1,000,000
                  RW
                  UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
                  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 9:18 a.m.
                  c'mon let's stop all these poor trades. lottery team Arizona trades a top 3 pick, last years #1 pick for short term patches.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 9:26 a.m.
                  Molson beer is meh
                  Quoting: clark
                  c'mon let's stop all these poor trades. lottery team Arizona trades a top 3 pick, last years #1 pick for short term patches.

I did write that the picks will most likely have conditions attached to it. obviously ARI's 1st would be lottery protected (for 2 years if that's even possible lol). I only included ARI on this list because they have been rebuilding longer than any other team. and seeing how Chayka was ready to start moving assets for vet player (Stepan trade) maybe this could be something that "could" interest him.

and again if you bothered to even read, I did specify that this is what I believe is Bergefail's asking price for Patches, and that teams are most likely not interested in these deals.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 10:24 a.m.
                  That's about the same prices I was thinking too, good job. I think both the Islanders and Rangers are out because they don't have good center prospects. I'd also add Carolina since they have quite a few interesting players, like Necas, Roy, Bean, Fleury or Hanifin...
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 10:31 a.m.
                  Wishful thinking. Good young player and a 1st is his value. If Bergy coaxes an additional 3rd or mid level talent out if it consider it a win.
                  Blazingbat11 liked this.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 11:27 a.m.
                  Molson beer is meh
                  Quoting: Gofnut999
                  Wishful thinking. Good young player and a 1st is his value. If Bergy coaxes an additional 3rd or mid level talent out if it consider it a win.

100% agree with you
                  Gofnut999 liked this.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 11:44 a.m.
                  LuckyDuck311
                  You listed what M.B. wants and now we know why no one has made the trade.

I think Pacman is going to either L.A. or Philly (Philly has 2 1st round picks)...probably happen on deadline day if Philly is still in playoff race.

It would sick if Pittsburg got Pacman, 4 elite scoring threats.

Islanders have 2 first round picks but need defense and a goalie.

Maybe Edmonton makes sense.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 12:04 p.m.
                  Habs
                  Quoting: Fedaykin
                  That's about the same prices I was thinking too, good job. I think both the Islanders and Rangers are out because they don't have good center prospects. I'd also add Carolina since they have quite a few interesting players, like Necas, Roy, Bean, Fleury or Hanifin...

The Rangers have Filip Chytil and Lias Andersson, I would love it if they decided to go all in on Patches plus to give King Henrik another run at the cup and gave us those two prospects.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 12:24 p.m.
                  OK so first thing, these are absolute best case scenarios. Secondly, if we were lucky enough to get these returns, we'd probably have to retain 50% of Pac's salary plus even need to take a reasonable cap dump back also.
                  Blazingbat11 liked this.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 12:32 p.m.
                  Quoting: F50marco
                  OK so first thing, these are absolute best case scenarios. Secondly, if we were lucky enough to get these returns, we'd probably have to retain 50% of Pac's salary plus even need to take a reasonable cap dump back also.

I enjoy the fact that there is a voice of reason in the fanbase on this one.

It's almost as if the fanbase thinks that if they make enough threads where they get way more than they should then it will actually happen but the reality is that it's just going to suck worse when you see what you actually get if it's a lot less. I'd suggest that for a lot of these trades, you could actually take out one of the assets and it'd still be somewhat fair.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 12:58 p.m.
                  Quoting: FryesLeapMaine

It's almost as if the fanbase thinks that if they make enough threads where they get way more than they should then it will actually happen but the reality is that it's just going to suck worse when you see what you actually get if it's a lot less. I'd suggest that for a lot of these trades, you could actually take out one of the assets and it'd still be somewhat fair.

All I can say is until something actually happens, NO ONE really knows. I know it may seem crazy but crazier things have happened before. I think many people feel like this may be too much but it really doesn't matter what we the fans think. It all comes down to the real GM's and what they value. Dorion paid a kings ransom for Duchene when everyone was telling Avs fans they were nuts to ask for what they asked. Who was laughing in the end?

I'm ok with people disagreeing with the valuations above. Heck even I disagree too. But we've been wrong before and this may be no different. There is nothing more I hate on this site then the cocky commentors on here that "know" exactly what will happen because they have a crystal ball that gives them insider knowledge of some sort I guess?

Thats why I chose to be level headed with my response. I don't think Pacioretty will get this return but it is in the realm of possibility so no point of trying disprove it. None of us on here know jack **** what will happen. Only best guesses which most times we're wrong anyway.

Plus as a side note, don't assume all people of a fan base understand the nuances of player values and trading tactics, etc . You may be way more versed in it than others may be. For some, this is just a fun site to make trades on. Don't take some 12 year old kids AGM and think all Habs fans think the way that person does. Maybe a lot of the Habs posters on here are 12 year olds. (This is just an example of course)
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 12:59 p.m.
                  Molson beer is meh
                  Quoting: F50marco

yup, that's pretty much how I wanted to present this thread. These are absolutely best case scenarios (what Bergefail is trying for). I doubt teams will want to do them, but imo Pacioretty is the best player on the market for cup contenders. He has the offensive numbers, and a low cap hit for this year and the next.

If you compare him to other players on the market, take Kane as an example. Teams paying the hefty price for E.Kane would be paying for his services for roughly 20 season games + 1 playoff push. And Kane will cost 1 top prospect + 1st at least (maybe even more if the reports are true), sure the team that acquires him can try and resign him (that would probably cost them a conditional pick), but Kane will be getting at the minimum a cap hit of $6mil...not exactly something contending teams can afford.

Pacioretty usually gives similar if not better numbers than Kane (this season is an exception...Pacioretty isn't playing with a guy like Eichel compared to Kane). Teams acquiring him would be getting his services for roughly 102 season games (20 this year, 82 the next) and 2 playoff pushes. Patches is also cheaper! and with MTL probably giving an option to retain even more salary. This would even give more options to contending teams to add. So is giving up an extra prospect or pick worth it in this case? I think (and hope lol) it is.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 1:12 p.m.
                  Molson beer is meh
                  Quoting: FryesLeapMaine

I agree with you. I wouldn't be against taking an asset out of these deals. I'm just trying to convey what I think is Bergefail's asking price right now. Will it happen? probably not. Can it happen? why not lol it's happened before.

What's difficult is that it's almost impossible on this site to find a middle ground. Take this thread as an example, I got a fellow Habs fan give me a 5 star rating (Yay!), and I also got the first comment saying these trades suck lol. If I were to take an asset out of every deal like suggested, I probably get a 1 star from a Habs fan and an other guy saying it looks legit, regardless of the context I try and incorporate.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 1:17 p.m.
                  Quoting: Blazingbat11
                  yup, that's pretty much how I wanted to present this thread. These are absolutely best case scenarios (what Bergefail is trying for). I doubt teams will want to do them, but imo Pacioretty is the best player on the market for cup contenders. He has the offensive numbers, and a low cap hit for this year and the next.

If you compare him to other players on the market, take Kane as an example. Teams paying the hefty price for E.Kane would be paying for his services for roughly 20 season games + 1 playoff push. And Kane will cost 1 top prospect + 1st at least (maybe even more if the reports are true), sure the team that acquires him can try and resign him (that would probably cost them a conditional pick), but Kane will be getting at the minimum a cap hit of $6mil...not exactly something contending teams can afford.

Pacioretty usually gives similar if not better numbers than Kane (this season is an exception...Pacioretty isn't playing with a guy like Eichel compared to Kane). Teams acquiring him would be getting his services for roughly 102 season games (20 this year, 82 the next) and 2 playoff pushes. Patches is also cheaper! and with MTL probably giving an option to retain even more salary. This would even give more options to contending teams to add. So is giving up an extra prospect or pick worth it in this case? I think (and hope lol) it is.

Agreed 100%. That last part seems to fly over people's heads. I really don't understand why.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 1:18 p.m.
                  Quoting: Blazingbat11
                  I did write that the picks will most likely have conditions attached to it. obviously ARI's 1st would be lottery protected (for 2 years if that's even possible lol). I only included ARI on this list because they have been rebuilding longer than any other team. and seeing how Chayka was ready to start moving assets for vet player (Stepan trade) maybe this could be something that "could" interest him.

and again if you bothered to even read, I did specify that this is what I believe is Bergefail's asking price for Patches, and that teams are most likely not interested in these deals.

cap friendly gms should speak/write posts for themselves and not trying to read Bergefail's mind when they post deals. certainly GMs to not publicly say what the asking price is.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 1:52 p.m.
                  Molson beer is meh
                  Quoting: clark
                  cap friendly gms should speak/write posts for themselves and not trying to read Bergefail's mind when they post deals. certainly GMs to not publicly say what the asking price is.

not trying to read minds bud, and how is this not me writing for myself when I wrote I simply believe in the description. There are reports that Bergevin is asking a kings ransom for Pacioretty, this is what I think they are. I don't really agree with the asking price, but hey I wouldn't say no!

Honestly, if you're just going around telling people to stop posting because you don't like it, perhaps you should do the same.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 1:56 p.m.
                  Go Habs Go
                  The biggest separation in value imo is that people are valuing him as a pure rental this year. That's not the case. This isn't like Kane where he has to be traded or re-signed immediately.
                  Montreal is under no obligation to consider moving Pacioretty until next year. So if you aren't willing to "overpay", you don't get him.

Is it more economical to rent Kane this year, for a rumored possible 4 assets and then possibly rent another player next year for a similar price? Or are you better off paying a little more this year to ensure you're picking up a player that you will get 2 runs out of?

Pacioretty will not come cheap. It's not about fair value, it's about offering enough to convince Montreal to part with him. Unless it's a hockey trade, that helps both teams immediately, it's going to be expensive.
                  Blazingbat11 liked this.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 2:59 p.m.
                  Habs say yes to every single one of these except the Avs one. OTT’s first round pick is conditionnal. Isles trade is the best one imo, Arz declines eventhough their first could very well end up being 4th overall.
                  Jan. 20, 2018 at 3:58 p.m.
                  Molson beer is meh
                  Quoting: Montreality25
                  Habs say yes to every single one of these except the Avs one. OTT’s first round pick is conditionnal. Isles trade is the best one imo, Arz declines eventhough their first could very well end up being 4th overall.

MTL would be fools to refuse any one of these deals, the COL trade even more. the OTT 1st is conditional, but that condition would still give MTL the Sens 1st next year, UNPROTECTED, which is even better. And every Habs fan should salivate over the idea of having the 1st of a divisional rival. especially one from a team who might be losing their franchise player and be looking to rebuild. muahahahaha wink

To create a post please Login or Register
                  Question:
                  Options:
                  Add Option
                  Submit Poll