SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Possible new Divisions for Western Conference for Seattle ?

Jan. 22, 2018 at 12:58 p.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Chicago
Colorado
Minnesota
Nashville
St Louis
Winnipeg
Arizona ( Intentions on possibly relocating to Houston)
Dallas

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angelas
San Jose
Vancouver
Vegas
Seattle
NBordzy liked this.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 1:31 p.m.
Here's what I'd like to see:

Boston
Buffalo
Columbus
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec (from Carolina)
Toronto

Florida
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Washington

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
San Jose
Seattle
Vancouver
Vegas

Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Houston (from Arizona)
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Why I like it:
Relocate Hurricanes and Coyotes to traditional hockey market (Quebec City) and big/growing U.S. market (Houston).
Tampa Bay and Florida go to division with more Southern(ish) teams and Columbus goes to division with more Great Lakes based teams.
New rivalries in province of Quebec, state of Texas, and Cascadia region.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 1:39 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Bflo Soldier: Agree with you on Florida/Tampa switch. It made no geographic sense to have them in the Atlantic division. I think it's because the Pens and Columbus wanted to be aligned with Philly and NYR that the divisions were made.
I would love to to see a team in Quebec. I can remember the old WHA and of course the NHL Nordiques. Long term I just can't see the economics of Quebec being feasible. Though I could say the same thing about Carolina, Arizona, Florida and others.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 2:01 p.m.
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
Here's what I'd like to see:

Boston
Buffalo
Columbus
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec (from Carolina)
Toronto

Florida
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Washington

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
San Jose
Seattle
Vancouver
Vegas

Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Houston (from Arizona)
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Why I like it:
Relocate Hurricanes and Coyotes to traditional hockey market (Quebec City) and big/growing U.S. market (Houston).
Tampa Bay and Florida go to division with more Southern(ish) teams and Columbus goes to division with more Great Lakes based teams.
New rivalries in province of Quebec, state of Texas, and Cascadia region.

Problem with this. Metro is even more stacked and Atlantic is still ass
Jan. 22, 2018 at 3:09 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: boltscharge17

How good the teams are shouldn't have anything to do with who's in each division.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 4:14 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Option 1:

Atlantic: TBL, FLA, BOS, BUF, DET, OTT, TOR, MTL
Metrolpolitan: PIT, CBJ, WSH, NYI, NYR, PHI, NJD, CAR
Central: DAL, NSH, CHI, WPG, MIN, COL, STL, EDM
Pacific: SEA, CGY, SJS, ANA, VAN, LAK, VGK, ARI

I kept everything the same except i put Edmonton in the central. Many could disagree here but they're the most eastern of the 9 correct pacific division teams and Seattle. Also, when i say SEA i mean Seattle.

Option 2:
Northeast: TOR, MTL, OTT, BOS
Metropolitan: NYR, NYI, NJD, BUF
Southeast: TBL, WSH, CAR, FLA
Atlantic: PIT, CBJ, PHI, DET
Pacific: LAK, ANA, SJS, VGK
Northwest: VAN, SEA, CGY, EDM
Central: WPG, MIN, CHI, STL
Southwest: ARI, COL, NSH, DAL

The names of the divisions may be kind of off, but i couldn't think of better names.

Option 3:

Skip Seattle and add Quebec into the Atlantic, and then move the Wings to the Central.

Option 4:

Some way to make sure both New York teams get in no matter how they do. Other that that i'm not sure what would happen, but something where that happens. lol, jk

Real option 4:

East: MTL, OTT, TOR, NYR, NYI, NJD, BOS, DET, CBJ, PIT, PHI, WSH, FLA, TBL, BUF, CAR
West: CGY, EDM, VAN, ARI, VGK, COL, SJS, ANA, MIN, LAK, NSH, SEA, CHI, STL, DAL, WPG

This would skip the idea of divisions.

Who makes the playoffs?:

Options 1 and 3 are the same idea as currently. Option 2 would be the top of each division and the other 4 making the playoffs. The top team in the conference plays number 4 of the non division winners, and on and on. For example (just for the East):

Pretend the standings went the same as this year has so far but Seattle is last (well, this doesn't matter, i'm using the East as an example), in this order in each division would be:
BOS - TOR - MTL - OTT
NJD - NYR - NYI - BUF
TBL - WSH - CAR - FLA
CBJ - PHI - PIT - DET

BOS, NJD, TBL, and CBJ would all make the playoffs, ranked TBL - BOS - NJD - CBJ
Now the top 4 non division winners in the East ranked: WSH - TOR - PHI - NYR
TBL vs. NYR
BOS vs. PHI
NJD vs. TOR
CBJ vs. WSH

So the 1st place division winner vs. the 4th non division winner, the 2nd division winner vs. 3rd non division winner, the 3rd division winner vs. the 2nd non division winner, and the 4th division winner vs. the 1st non division winner. Then the winners, ranked by point total (and tie breakers in league standings if needed), would go 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3. In the 1st round, division winners get home ice advantage, and in other rounds, the team who did better in the league standings gets home ice advantage. So TBL, BOS, NJD, and CBJ would have home ice advantage in the 1st round. So pretend the winners are TBL, PHI, NJD, and CBJ, they'd be ranked: TBL - NJD - CBJ - PHI

TBL vs. PHI
NJD vs. CBJ

TBL and NJD have home ice. So then say PHI and NJD won, then they'd play each other, and NJD has home ice advantage. Then let's say NJD wins. Then whoever's higher in the league standings of them and the Western team has home ice advantage.

Option 4 would be 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, and 4 vs. 5, and then if 2, 5, 6, and 8 won, then 2 vs. 8 and 5 vs. 6. The top of the teams left in the playoffs in that conference vs. the bottom of those teams. The team with home ice advantage is obviously the higher team. When it gets to the final, it's about who was higher in the league standings for home ice.
So there are quite a few options.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: boltscharge17

Well, there is always a flux among team. The Metro every is love with this year, with some cause. But look at the last ten years. Philly, Jersey, Carolina have been poor. Isles average.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 4:37 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
The simple the solution is to move Arizona to the Central so Seattle can have the spot in the Pacific.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 7:28 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I mean, Seattle could even go in the Central just because they'd be the new team, though the only problem with that is they know they'd have to change it soon.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 8:01 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I mean, Seattle could even go in the Central just because they'd be the new team, though the only problem with that is they know they'd have to change it soon.

Why would the league put them in the Central only to change it in a few years? There's no reason why they couldn't just move Arizona to the Central.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 10:33 a.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: krakowitz
Why would the league put them in the Central only to change it in a few years? There's no reason why they couldn't just move Arizona to the Central.

That's what they did with Winnipeg before the realignment. They were in the Southeast Division for two years before they got put in the new Central.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 10:42 a.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
That's what they did with Winnipeg before the realignment. They were in the Southeast Division for two years before they got put in the new Central.

Not exactly apples-to-apples, considering Winnipeg was a relocated franchise from the Southeast.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 10:54 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

I know, but i'm not saying that's the best option, just saying it's possible. I think they were planning on changing the divisions soon anyway.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:45 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018

This is a completely different scenario. The league needed a completely new formatting after Atlanta relocated. They just stayed in the original division before they figured out a new layout. There is a simple solution here, where there wasn't one with the Jets.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 12:59 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: krakowitz
This is a completely different scenario. The league needed a completely new formatting after Atlanta relocated. They just stayed in the original division before they figured out a new layout. There is a simple solution here, where there wasn't one with the Jets.

It would be kind of weird having one of Vegas and Arizona in one division, the other in the other division, but it's possible. Edmonton could also be moved, but same problem with Calgary and Edmonton. IMO they put Seattle in the Pacific and move either Arizona or Edmonton to the central.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:16 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
It would be kind of weird having one of Vegas and Arizona in one division, the other in the other division, but it's possible. Edmonton could also be moved, but same problem with Calgary and Edmonton. IMO they put Seattle in the Pacific and move either Arizona or Edmonton to the central.

They're not going to split up Edmonton and Calgary.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 2:45 p.m.
Nate
Here's mine:

Boston
Buffalo
Chicago (This means all the OG 6 would be in the eastern conference)
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec (from Arizona)
Toronto

Florida (Move them into the same arena as the Heat)
New Jersey
Columbus
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Washington

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
San Jose
Seattle
Vancouver
Portland (Islanders)

Vegas
Colorado
Dallas
Houston Hurricanes (Carolina's new owner is from Houston)
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg
Jan. 23, 2018 at 3:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: NBords
Here's mine:

Boston
Buffalo
Chicago (This means all the OG 6 would be in the eastern conference)
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec (from Arizona)
Toronto

Florida (Move them into the same arena as the Heat)
New Jersey
Columbus
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Washington

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
San Jose
Seattle
Vancouver
Portland (Islanders)

Vegas
Colorado
Dallas
Houston Hurricanes (Carolina's new owner is from Houston)
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

The Islanders aren't moving. They're going to a new arena at Belmont Park.

Edit: Forgot to mention the Canes too. They sold the team but they don't plan on moving them.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 3:54 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Seattle. I'm sticking to the name....The Seattle Amazons, since Amazon is the largest company in Seattle. Would like a the appropriate logo on the sweater.....of some a beautify Amazon.(well aren't all Amazons)
Jan. 23, 2018 at 4:45 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Seattle. I'm sticking to the name....The Seattle Amazons, since Amazon is the largest company in Seattle. Would like a the appropriate logo on the sweater.....of some a beautify Amazon.(well aren't all Amazons)

Not gonna work since they're opening a second HQ in another city.
Does open to interesting concept of a company running multiple sports franchises, similar to Red Bull.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll