SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

one of the worst defense in Habs history

Jan. 28, 2018 at 11:34 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Edited Jan. 28, 2018 at 11:56 a.m.
image.png

an interesting graph on RDS. for the English folk, I'll translate.

The graph basically highlights the Habs weaknesses at 5 on 5 for their defense (aside for the last 2 categories, which are for the forwards)

the red bars represent MTL, and the blue represents the league average. both bars represent the frequency over 60 minutes of each category.

from left to right columns: Scoring chances, cross-ice passes in the offensive zone, passes in the offensive zone, opposition dumps not recovered in the defensive zone, controlled zone exits, rebound recoveries in the defensive zone, incomplete passes from zone exits, failed face-off in defensive zone leading to scoring chances.

aside for the last two categories (forwards), MTLs defense really contribute almost nothing across the board. What I find worst is that the comparisons are only against league averages..... league averages!!!
Jan. 28, 2018 at 5:20 p.m.
WentWughes
How much of this would you put on Julien?
Jan. 28, 2018 at 5:40 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
How much of this would you put on Julien?

Honestly, maybe like 15%. He doesn't have that much to work with. I don't agree with some of his decisions (Plekanec starting OT pisses me off), but I'll be more judgmental towards Julien when he has a decent team in front of him. You can also make a case that Julien's structure relies heavily on his Centers. It worked in Boston (duh! he had Bergeron and Krejci). And MTL at Center...well......we all know how that's going.

In my opinion, if Habs had at least one true top 6 center (not even a #1 C), their offense would be fine. and I could live with Danault as another top 6 C if I have to. but the defense is a mess!

When they signed Alzner, everyone could agree that he was overpaid, but everyone was also like "he's the perfect defensive partner for Petry!!!", but Alzner-Petry is probably the worst duo in the NHL, Alzner just doesn't have chemistry with Petry...actually, Alzner doesn't have chemistry with anyone on the Habs defense....sigh...
there's no one on the roster who can consistently keep up with Weber's level of play, or even keep up with his playing minutes. Which literally overworks Weber even more (no wonder he's injured).
and the bottom pairing guys + depth D have not stepped up in any way whatsoever.
The only one to blame here is Bergefail....I think this has nothing to do with Julien....yet...
KSIxSKULLS liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll