SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Fire Sale with Proper Value, Mcdonagh to STL, Nash to Nashville, Grabner to WPG,

Created by: AdamFox
Team: 2017-18 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 5, 2018
Published: Feb. 5, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
NYR
  1. Dougherty, Jack
  2. 2018 1st round pick (NSH)
  3. 2018 3rd round pick (NSH)
NSH
  1. Nash, Rick
Additional Details:
50% Retained
NYR Fans- The Market for a winger is actually pretty open. Kane, Hoffman, Patch, Nash, Grabner and Vanek are all options for contenders probably driving the value a little lower then expected.
NYR
  1. Kyrou, Jordan
  2. Thompson, Tage
  3. 2018 2nd round pick (STL)
  4. 2019 1st round pick (STL)
STL
  1. McDonagh, Ryan
Additional Details:
Simply put the only number one defensemen on the market, price is going to be sky high
NYR
  1. 2018 1st round pick (WPG)
  2. 2018 5th round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
An extra pick because more than one team will be willing to give up their late first rounder for grab, jets sweeten the pot a tad
NYR
  1. Milano, Sonny
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
Both Left Wings. Milano can't seem to find his stride within the CBJ roster, they zuccarello who would bolster there forward group and the people around him tremendously
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$75,000,000$59,530,277$0$3,857,500$15,469,723
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
UFA - 5
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LW
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C
UFA - 3
$772,500$772,500
RW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,650,000$6,650,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$8,500,000$8,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$4,350,000$4,350,000
LD/RD, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,300,000$1,300,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
LD
UFA - 1
$695,000$695,000 (Performance Bonus$207,500$208K)
RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 5, 2018 at 3:42 p.m.
you could probably get quite a bit from Toronto for McDonagh.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 3:44 p.m.
That McDonagh valuation is nuts. You might get one of Kyrou/Thomas and a 1st, but to ask for both plus an extra 2nd is insanity.

I think you are slightly overvaluing Nash and Grabner. As you mentioned, there are a surplus of wingers available, and that will drive prices down, which means those two guys (who are tied with Vanek in the bottom half of Kane, Hoffman, Pacioretty, Vanek, Nash, Grabner). I don't see 6 teams giving up first rounders plus...
Feb. 5, 2018 at 3:45 p.m.
bang bang
Quoting: Drakin1978
you could probably get quite a bit from Toronto for McDonagh.

Yea but id rather not deal with Toronto fans screaming in the comments about how much their prospects are worth and how little mcdonagh is worth
Drakin1978 liked this.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 3:46 p.m.
Don't agree with you about Milano, not a good possession player. It'd have to be Milano + 1st to start. Milano for Vesey straight up could happen.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 3:46 p.m.
Quoting: buchnevichh
Yea but id rather not deal with Toronto fans screaming in the comments about how much their prospects are worth and how little mcdonagh is worth

very fair comment lol
Feb. 5, 2018 at 3:50 p.m.
bang bang
Quoting: ekpaul87
That McDonagh valuation is nuts. You might get one of Kyrou/Thomas and a 1st, but to ask for both plus an extra 2nd is insanity.

I think you are slightly overvaluing Nash and Grabner. As you mentioned, there are a surplus of wingers available, and that will drive prices down, which means those two guys (who are tied with Vanek in the bottom half of Kane, Hoffman, Pacioretty, Vanek, Nash, Grabner). I don't see 6 teams giving up first rounders plus...

*Late first rounders are the key, but in regards to Nash, Doughtery is definitely a lower level prospect and most likely won't amount to anything but an Ahl top 2 or NHL bottom 6 guy. The first in Nashville is going to be one of the last picks in the first round. Plus a third ? thats not really a great package your getting. Mcdonagh valuation isn't all the crazy. Look at Yandle, Shattenkirk, deals. Neither are number 1 defensemen. (Top 4 id say). In detail the Yandle deal was 1st 2nd Prospect, Shattenkirk I believe was 1st prospect and something else. So all the mcdonagh price is another prospect which isn't all that much more
Feb. 5, 2018 at 3:55 p.m.
bang bang
Quoting: Sagecoll
Don't agree with you about Milano, not a good possession player. It'd have to be Milano + 1st to start. Milano for Vesey straight up could happen.

I think thats a lowball on Milano. His Ahl numbers been great. I think next year he's a 50 point scorer top 6 forward
Feb. 5, 2018 at 3:55 p.m.
*Late first rounders are the key, but in regards to Nash, Doughtery is definitely a lower level prospect and most likely won't amount to anything but an Ahl top 2 or NHL bottom 6 guy. The first in Nashville is going to be one of the last picks in the first round. Plus a third ? thats not really a great package your getting. Mcdonagh valuation isn't all the crazy. Look at Yandle, Shattenkirk, deals. Neither are number 1 defensemen. (Top 4 id say). In detail the Yandle deal was 1st 2nd Prospect, Shattenkirk I believe was 1st prospect and something else. So all the mcdonagh price is another prospect which isn't all that much more

Your McD valuation is spot on. Don't change it.
AdamFox liked this.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 3:58 p.m.

The Shattenkirk deal, both prospects were irrelevant throw ins with limited upside. The Yandle deal, the 1st was conditional and the centrepiece was Duclair, who was at best a comparable prospect to Thomas and Kyrou, but probably a notch below.

I agree that McDonagh is better defensively than either Shattenkirk or Yandle, but both of them are better offensively. They were also both rentals versus 1.5 years of McDonagh, but I still don't think that warrants (essentially) three times the asking price.

Kudos to Gorton if he can find a way to get that, but I wouldn't go near that deal as an opposing team.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 3:59 p.m.
Lets Go Blues

WELL YOUR PLAN BACKFIRED BUDDY!!! BLUES PROSPECTS ARE WORTH 10X AS MUCH AS BRYAN MACDONUT!!!

I'm kidding, but I'm just hoping that the Blues are smart about those prospects - I would say getting McDonagh for one of Kyrou/Kostin/Thompson + a lesser prospect + some good picks would be the best case, but I see your point about how McD's price ought to be sky high.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 3:59 p.m.

Hoffman and Patches aren't rentals, they have a year or more left on their deal after this year - they could get picks in later years or just prospects. Kane will get a 1st++. Vanek probably won't, he'll get a 2nd or 3rd. He's an offense only winger with terrible possession numbers and a black hole in his own zone. Both Nash and Grabner are elite PK guys with top 25 expected goals numbers in the league. They're getting firsts.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 4:01 p.m.
People on this site have an insane valuation for Rick Nash.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 4:03 p.m.
St. Louis will not pay that much for someone who is only guaranteed to be there one more year and who they most likely can't afford to re-sign. Not to mention, this trade puts them over the cap limit because the Rangers aren't taking any significant contracts in return.

Nash and Grabner are very overpriced considering they are both scoring at a 0.5 points/game clip. For reference, when the Devils dealt Lee Stempniak to Boston a couple of years ago, he had 41 points in 63 games. His return was a 2nd and a 4th. When the Devils dealt Jagr the year before that, they received a 2nd and a 3rd with him producing at a slightly better clip than Nash this year. It's really tough to imagine a trade market that is more saturated with Forward options will yield the Rangers significantly more than the Devils received for Jagr and Stempniak a few years ago. Lastly, the Predators really killed their prospect pool with the Turris trade, so it's tough to imagine them hurting it further by giving up top picks and a prospect
Feb. 5, 2018 at 4:05 p.m.
bang bang
Quoting: AK_tune
WELL YOUR PLAN BACKFIRED BUDDY!!! BLUES PROSPECTS ARE WORTH 10X AS MUCH AS BRYAN MACDONUT!!!

I'm kidding, but I'm just hoping that the Blues are smart about those prospects - I would say getting McDonagh for one of Kyrou/Kostin/Thompson + a lesser prospect + some good picks would be the best case, but I see your point about how McD's price ought to be sky high.

Personally if I'm the blues I don't give up the prospects. But also I'm not in a position to get a number 1 defensemen and compete for a cup. pietrangelo-mcdonagh pair can log 30 minutes a night in the playoffs easy
Feb. 5, 2018 at 4:06 p.m.
bang bang
Quoting: dfrischm93
St. Louis will not pay that much for someone who is only guaranteed to be there one more year and who they most likely can't afford to re-sign. Not to mention, this trade puts them over the cap limit because the Rangers aren't taking any significant contracts in return.

Nash and Grabner are very overpriced considering they are both scoring at a 0.5 points/game clip. For reference, when the Devils dealt Lee Stempniak to Boston a couple of years ago, he had 41 points in 63 games. His return was a 2nd and a 4th. When the Devils dealt Jagr the year before that, they received a 2nd and a 3rd with him producing at a slightly better clip than Nash this year. It's really tough to imagine a trade market that is more saturated with Forward options will yield the Rangers significantly more than the Devils received for Jagr and Stempniak a few years ago. Lastly, the Predators really killed their prospect pool with the Turris trade, so it's tough to imagine them hurting it further by giving up top picks and a prospect

Stempniak is journey man who was 33 year old at the deadline, Nash is a multiple time 40 goal scorer who has a way better 2 way game, plays the PP, PK
Feb. 5, 2018 at 4:09 p.m.
bang bang
The Shattenkirk deal, both prospects were irrelevant throw ins with limited upside. The Yandle deal, the 1st was conditional and the centrepiece was Duclair, who was at best a comparable prospect to Thomas and Kyrou, but probably a notch below.

I agree that McDonagh is better defensively than either Shattenkirk or Yandle, but both of them are better offensively. They were also both rentals versus 1.5 years of McDonagh, but I still don't think that warrants (essentially) three times the asking price.

Kudos to Gorton if he can find a way to get that, but I wouldn't go near that deal as an opposing team.

I truly wouldn't give up the prospects/picks for any deadline player at this point. Every Deadline deal every year the seller wins big, unless you win the cup/or in very rare cases the player re signs and performs well
ekpaul87 liked this.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Personally if I'm the blues I don't give up the prospects. But also I'm not in a position to get a number 1 defensemen and compete for a cup. pietrangelo-mcdonagh pair can log 30 minutes a night in the playoffs easy

Yep, it would suck to part with those guys but the Blues definitely become much more complete with a top 4 of Petro-McD / Edmundson-Parayko... all of those guys can handle 25-27 mins and we could still afford to play Dunn in playoffs because his minutes would be so sheltered at 3LD.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 4:16 p.m.
Quoting: Sagecoll
Hoffman and Patches aren't rentals, they have a year or more left on their deal after this year - they could get picks in later years or just prospects. Kane will get a 1st++. Vanek probably won't, he'll get a 2nd or 3rd. He's an offense only winger with terrible possession numbers and a black hole in his own zone. Both Nash and Grabner are elite PK guys with top 25 expected goals numbers in the league. They're getting firsts.

Grabner is shooting 5.5% better than his career average, and has 6 empty netters. The guy's stats show way better than they should. Not to mention his 5 assists scream "I can't play with other guys".

In terms of elite penalty killers, the Rangers have an average PK (14th overall), so how do you attribute the elite level to them and the poor PK skills to the rest of the group?

Nash will probably get a 1st based on reputation, but he's 50-50 to even hit 40 points this year. Not exactly a player you can't find elsewhere for cheaper.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 4:22 p.m.
bang bang
Grabner is shooting 5.5% better than his career average, and has 6 empty netters. The guy's stats show way better than they should. Not to mention his 5 assists scream "I can't play with other guys".

In terms of elite penalty killers, the Rangers have an average PK (14th overall), so how do you attribute the elite level to them and the poor PK skills to the rest of the group?

Nash will probably get a 1st based on reputation, but he's 50-50 to even hit 40 points this year. Not exactly a player you can't find elsewhere for cheaper.

In regard to the PK you have never watched the Rangers play. They put guys like Holden and Marc Staal on the PK and just get abused. Grabner is a notorious excellent penalty killer.
In regard to Nash, how come you don't mention his shooting %? Shooting career low but still an excellent player who plays in all 3 zones
Feb. 5, 2018 at 4:24 p.m.
Stempniak: 41 points in 63 games, less talented supporting cast while putting up those numbers, 850k cap hit
Nash: 25 points in 52 games, more talented supporting cast around him, 7.8M cap hit
Grabner: Also a bit of a journeyman who put up more than 41 points only once in his career (2010-11 season) and currently has a whopping 5 Assists on the season

Teams won't have the time to wait for Nash to find his game because he is a rental. Also, Stempniak was having a much better season than Grabner and had a better track record, so it's tough to figure out why he is worth more.
ekpaul87 liked this.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 4:27 p.m.
bang bang
Quoting: dfrischm93
Stempniak: 41 points in 63 games, less talented supporting cast while putting up those numbers, 850k cap hit
Nash: 25 points in 52 games, more talented supporting cast around him, 7.8M cap hit
Grabner: Also a bit of a journeyman who put up more than 41 points only once in his career (2010-11 season) and currently has a whopping 5 Assists on the season

Teams won't have the time to wait for Nash to find his game because he is a rental. Also, Stempniak was having a much better season than Grabner and had a better track record, so it's tough to figure out why he is worth more.

Both Nash and Grabner are way better players then stempniak. Stempniak got top minutes with devils, doesn't play the PK, Got PP time with NJ. Grabner has 21 even strength goals and Nash is way way way better then Stempniak.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 4:28 p.m.
In regard to the PK you have never watched the Rangers play. They put guys like Holden and Marc Staal on the PK and just get abused. Grabner is a notorious excellent penalty killer.
In regard to Nash, how come you don't mention his shooting %? Shooting career low but still an excellent player who plays in all 3 zones

He was lower sh% two years ago. Playing all 3 zones doesn't automatically get you a 1st. Nash probably will get one because he has over 400 career goals, but it's not that much to do with what he's doing this season.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 4:31 p.m.
bang bang
He was lower sh% two years ago. Playing all 3 zones doesn't automatically get you a 1st. Nash probably will get one because he has over 400 career goals, but it's not that much to do with what he's doing this season.

Grabner if not for a first will get - Low Prospect, 2nd + Late pick5-7 rounder
Nash depending on the position of the first rounder, will get you a solid return. Mid first rounder is enough in my eyes. Late first rounder and you may have to sweeten the deal
Feb. 5, 2018 at 5:34 p.m.
Stempniak is journey man who was 33 year old at the deadline, Nash is a multiple time 40 goal scorer who has a way better 2 way game, plays the PP, PK

Nash's days as a 40 goal scorer are long gone. He's basically a 3rd liner now. He does not get you a 1st rounder. Last year the only trade deadline deals that included 1st round picks were Shattenkirk and Hanzal. Nash's value is significantly lower than both of those guys, and Hanzal was a massive over-pay by Minnesota.

Also no way Grabner get's a 1st either, or a 2nd for that matter. 3rd rounder is probably accurate. Honestly the Zuccarello deal is an over-pay as well. The McDonagh one isn't bad, but take out one of the prospects.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll