Forums/Armchair-GM

Getting younger, immediately

Created by: Eli
Team: 2017-18 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 10, 2018
Published: Feb. 10, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If the Caps don't think they're contenders right now, then they should sell off some proven veterans to teams that think they can make a splash in the playoffs this year, and raise their ceiling for next year. I know I spend a lot of time on here being down on Djoos and Bowey, but they're each in the top ten in points among rookie defensemen. Each has at least twice as many as Haydn Fleury, who everybody is pencilling into Carolina's top four next year. Maybe Washington can trade away some veterans and let them try out for a bigger role, now that a playoff spot this year is all but guaranteed. Normally, slipping down from the top spot is a bad thing because you give up home ice. But when a top spot could mean playing Pittsburgh in the first or second round... who cares. Take the long view, and look for creative ways to extend the team's competitive window. Then, with twenty million in Cap space this summer, trade Eller's rights for a 6th, sign Tavares and Green, and call it good enough.
Trades
WSH
  1. Bennett, Sam
  2. 2018 4th round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
four years younger, has scored some goals in the past. Former top ten pick
CGY
  1. Connolly, Brett
Additional Details:
is on pace for twenty goals this season. Former top ten pick.
WSH
  1. Brodin, Jonas
Additional Details:
24 year old top four defenseman, out for rest of this season. Wild are in the playoffs if they start today and could use a boost.
MIN
  1. Chorney, Taylor
  2. Oshie, T.J.
Additional Details:
on pace for twenty goals. Great competitor. Olympic hero. And then there's Chorney, who's just a serviceable defenseman to help Minnesota fill out its ranks.
WSH
  1. Barzal, Mathew
Additional Details:
An Islanders fan suggested this yesterday. Obviously neither player is likely to get moved, but, wow, would each make an amazing addition to their new team.
NYI
  1. Niskanen, Matt
Additional Details:
The Caps only do this if they think there's truth to the rumor that Green wants to come back in free agency this summer. This opens up a spot for him, and adds an incredible forward.
WSH
  1. Krüger, Marcus ($1,500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Carolina dumps part of the salary of a player they feel isn't producing offensively, and gets someone who's scoring more on a fourth line than Kruger is on their third.
CAR
  1. Chiasson, Alex
Additional Details:
Washington picks up a checking forward with a cup ring for one without, and adds a third Swede to play with Backstrom and Burakovsky (or a proven checker to play on Kuznetsov's wing. Whatever works out).
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$75,000,000$54,405,106$4,978$982,500$20,594,894
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
UFA - 8
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,275,000$1,275,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,950,000$1,950,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
UFA - 6
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$703,333$703,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 2
$665,000$665,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 10, 2018 at 11:29 a.m.
Calgary says no IMO they can get more for bennett then a bust top 10 pick
Feb. 10, 2018 at 11:29 a.m.
I don't know if there are more than 5-10 players i would trade barzal for in the whole league right now. niskanen wouldn't be in the top 100
Eli liked this.
Feb. 10, 2018 at 11:30 a.m.
Quoting: HabsFan97
Calgary says no IMO they can get more for bennett then a bust top 10 pick

thats pretty much what bennett is...
Eli, wojme and M_Swann liked this.
Feb. 10, 2018 at 11:39 a.m.
Who adds what?
Never mind about Eller. Happy they signed him at a reasonable cap hit. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Could still pretty realistically add Green and have tons of cap space.
Feb. 10, 2018 at 11:44 a.m.
Who adds what?
Connolly was totally written off two years ago, but he's on a pace for 24 goals this season, playing mostly on the third line in Washington. It's possible that with a bit more ice time, he could hit thirty next year. Bennett is on a pace for ten goals, while putting up meh possession numbers. It's possible that, in Washington, he'd be a healthy scratch.
Feb. 10, 2018 at 11:46 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
I don't know if there are more than 5-10 players i would trade barzal for in the whole league right now. niskanen wouldn't be in the top 100

Tell him: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/582630
Feb. 10, 2018 at 11:48 a.m.
Who adds what?

I know, Barzal just scored a ton of goals after he posted that, so it seems like less of a good idea, but seriously? Niskanen's teams have made it out of the first round of the playoffs in each of the last five years. Barzal has a lot of potential. I'm sure there are other young players NYI has who could equal Niskanen's value, collectively, but who else would motivate the Caps to trade a cheap #1 defenseman who just led them to back to back President's trophies?
Feb. 10, 2018 at 12:06 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Eli
I know, Barzal just scored a ton of goals after he posted that, so it seems like less of a good idea, but seriously? Niskanen's teams have made it out of the first round of the playoffs in each of the last five years. Barzal has a lot of potential. I'm sure there are other young players NYI has who could equal Niskanen's value, collectively, but who else would motivate the Caps to trade a cheap #1 defenseman who just led them to back to back President's trophies?

niskanen is not a #1 and CERTAINLY not worth Barzel
Feb. 10, 2018 at 12:20 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: vinniletieri
niskanen is not a #1 and CERTAINLY not worth Barzel

He was last year, the year before that, and the year before that in Pittsburgh due to injuries. This year he had a brief injury and Carlson is playing out of his mind trying to earn a huge contract, so Niskanen is playing only 22:22 a game, and is only on a pace for 35 points.

More importantly, he can slow down guys like Crosby and Tavares pretty effectively, and he can kill off 5 on 3s for two straight minutes, calmly. I don't think the Caps would take just Barzal for him, but if I were running them, after watching all the highlights Barzal put together last night, I probably would, and then I'd start making plans to either sign Green or talk Montreal into retaining some cap hit on Weber.
Feb. 10, 2018 at 12:34 p.m.
Banned
He was last year, the year before that, and the year before that in Pittsburgh due to injuries. This year he had a brief injury and Carlson is playing out of his mind trying to earn a huge contract, so Niskanen is playing only 22:22 a game, and is only on a pace for 35 points.

More importantly, he can slow down guys like Crosby and Tavares pretty effectively, and he can kill off 5 on 3s for two straight minutes, calmly. I don't think the Caps would take just Barzal for him, but if I were running them, after watching all the highlights Barzal put together last night, I probably would, and then I'd start making plans to either sign Green or talk Montreal into retaining some cap hit on Weber.

while Niskanen is great defensively... he doesn't have to flash to be a #1D. a 30 point D is not a #1. and like I said... a 30 year old #2D is not worth a 21 year old breakout centre who could easily become a top 10 C in the league. no way isles even entertain this offer
Feb. 10, 2018 at 1:05 p.m.

You could say all those things about all their defensemen. Its not his team. Its Ovechkin, backstrom, kuznetsov, holtby, oshies team
Feb. 10, 2018 at 1:08 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: vinniletieri
while Niskanen is great defensively... he doesn't have to flash to be a #1D. a 30 point D is not a #1. and like I said... a 30 year old #2D is not worth a 21 year old breakout centre who could easily become a top 10 C in the league. no way isles even entertain this offer

You could say that about every player on the Islanders, but the Caps still bounced them in six games the last time they made the playoffs.
Feb. 10, 2018 at 1:09 p.m.
Who adds what?
You could say that about every player on the Islanders, but the Caps still bounced them in six games the last time they made the playoffs.

That was before Trotz really trusted Carlson in defensive situations, so shutting down Tavares et al was pretty much Niskanen's job. I'm sure Mr. Tavares remembers. He still got some points, but not enough.
Feb. 10, 2018 at 2:03 p.m.

You can't say that about every player on the islanders, Barzal is easily worth Niskanen, Djoos, Eller, and Grubauer. Niskanen is worth nothing more than a low-second round pick.
Feb. 10, 2018 at 2:08 p.m.
I rarely use "They'd hang up immediately" but I will for that Barzal trade. Sorry Caps fans, that Isle fan that suggested must of been on something. No way in hell they'd accept that.
Feb. 10, 2018 at 3:04 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: F50marco
I rarely use "They'd hang up immediately" but I will for that Barzal trade. Sorry Caps fans, that Isle fan that suggested must of been on something. No way in hell they'd accept that.

Well, it sounded like a nice offer, even if it would put a fork in Washington's Cup chances for the year. I don't want to sit here and argue too long about someone Hockey's Future still calls a "C"prospect: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect-rankings/new-york-islanders-top-20-prospects/

And if you scroll down to #18 on that list of Islanders prospects, you get to Devon Toews, whom I traded for as a joke on here, last summer, along with Evander Kane, in a post titled, hilariously, Kane and Toews. Buffalo fans shrugged, but Islanders fans totally shut me down on thinking I could get Devin Toews for a prospect and a 2nd. He's going to be elite, they told me.

Barzal is pretty good. He's still not facing opponents' top defensemen because he's not playing with Tavares, but behind him in the lineup at even strength, but he is on a pace for thirty goals, and that's no mean feat. I'm just not sure that Bellows or Dal Colle or a bunch of other Islanders prospects wouldn't be scoring a similar amount of goals the way the Islanders are clicking right now offensively, and I think they would win more games if they had better defensemen this year, rather than guys like D. Toews, who might be great in a decade.

The Islanders have the second most goals in the Eastern Conference right now, but the most goals against. Tampa has scored 56 more goals than they've given up. The Islanders have given up 16 more than they've scored. Even if the Islanders hang on for a wildcard playoff spot this year, they won't last five games. The Islanders fan who suggested trading a promising youngster for a proven shutdown defenseman whose teams have won the first round or more in five straight years wasn't the one having difficulties grasping reality.

If you figure that any new rookie next year will do as well as Barzal is this year, then it's just good salary cap management to trade Barzal to a contender while he's hot, and try to get back a reasonably priced two way defenseman. I don't think they picked Niskanen by accident. I think that trade actually is better for NYI than for Washington, the way the teams are built this year, but if Washington considers retooling, since their positive gf/ga differential is only +13, and it's hard to know if they could compete with even Boston or Toronto, to say nothing of Pittsburgh, Tampa,, or Vegas..... if Washington sells, Niskanen, Backstrom,and Holtby would be the biggest prizes. Ovechkin and Kuznetsov are amazing offensive players, but they get paid like it, so in a salary cap league, their trade value might be less than Niskanen's. Barzal is unique in that he's scoring a lot but isn't getting paid much yet, so he'd be a really, really good trade chip right now, if a team had a ton of great talent like Bellows, Dal Colle, Ho Sang, Toews.... etc, etc, waiting in the wings.
Feb. 11, 2018 at 12:34 p.m.
Well, it sounded like a nice offer, even if it would put a fork in Washington's Cup chances for the year. I don't want to sit here and argue too long about someone Hockey's Future still calls a "C"prospect: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect-rankings/new-york-islanders-top-20-prospects/

And if you scroll down to #18 on that list of Islanders prospects, you get to Devon Toews, whom I traded for as a joke on here, last summer, along with Evander Kane, in a post titled, hilariously, Kane and Toews. Buffalo fans shrugged, but Islanders fans totally shut me down on thinking I could get Devin Toews for a prospect and a 2nd. He's going to be elite, they told me.

Barzal is pretty good. He's still not facing opponents' top defensemen because he's not playing with Tavares, but behind him in the lineup at even strength, but he is on a pace for thirty goals, and that's no mean feat. I'm just not sure that Bellows or Dal Colle or a bunch of other Islanders prospects wouldn't be scoring a similar amount of goals the way the Islanders are clicking right now offensively, and I think they would win more games if they had better defensemen this year, rather than guys like D. Toews, who might be great in a decade.

The Islanders have the second most goals in the Eastern Conference right now, but the most goals against. Tampa has scored 56 more goals than they've given up. The Islanders have given up 16 more than they've scored. Even if the Islanders hang on for a wildcard playoff spot this year, they won't last five games. The Islanders fan who suggested trading a promising youngster for a proven shutdown defenseman whose teams have won the first round or more in five straight years wasn't the one having difficulties grasping reality.

If you figure that any new rookie next year will do as well as Barzal is this year, then it's just good salary cap management to trade Barzal to a contender while he's hot, and try to get back a reasonably priced two way defenseman. I don't think they picked Niskanen by accident. I think that trade actually is better for NYI than for Washington, the way the teams are built this year, but if Washington considers retooling, since their positive gf/ga differential is only +13, and it's hard to know if they could compete with even Boston or Toronto, to say nothing of Pittsburgh, Tampa,, or Vegas..... if Washington sells, Niskanen, Backstrom,and Holtby would be the biggest prizes. Ovechkin and Kuznetsov are amazing offensive players, but they get paid like it, so in a salary cap league, their trade value might be less than Niskanen's. Barzal is unique in that he's scoring a lot but isn't getting paid much yet, so he'd be a really, really good trade chip right now, if a team had a ton of great talent like Bellows, Dal Colle, Ho Sang, Toews.... etc, etc, waiting in the wings.

Did.....did you just reference hockeysfuture as one of your arguments?.......neutral Ok Im out. Lets just agree to disagree on everything you just said.
Eli liked this.
Feb. 11, 2018 at 1:32 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: F50marco
Did.....did you just reference hockeysfuture as one of your arguments?.......neutral Ok Im out. Lets just agree to disagree on everything you just said.

Sometimes their scouting reports aren't far off. I do think the one they've got on Barzal, who's on a pace for thirty goals this year, is pretty funny, though. cheers

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll