SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(TOR / STL) - 2019 4th round pick for Soshnikov

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 15, 2018 at 5:54 p.m.
A trade between Toronto Maple Leafs and St. Louis Blues has been confirmed.
Trade Details
St. Louis Blues Acquire:
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
Nikita Soshnikov · $736,666$736,666$800,000
Sum: $736,666$736,666$800,000
Change: +$736,666
Change: +$736,666
Change: +$800,000
Toronto Maple Leafs Acquire:
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
2019 4th round pick (STL - #124 - Nick Abruzzese)
Sum: $0$0$0
Change: -$736,666
Change: -$736,666
Change: -$800,000
Feb. 15, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Armstrong in NHL 18: "I almost feel guilty saying yes to this deal, as I figure St. Louis is making out like gangbusters here compared to you..."
bkips liked this.
Feb. 15, 2018 at 6:12 p.m.
Pens Fan
Toronto gets a roster spot and a future pick for a player that would most likely never make the team consistently, Blues get a bottom six winger with some upside, and Soshnikov gets a fresh start. Wouldn't be surprised if Leivo gets moved before the deadline as well.
Feb. 15, 2018 at 6:14 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
I think St.Louis wins only cause I feel Soshnikov can grow more.
Feb. 15, 2018 at 6:15 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
It's too bad we didn't get to see Soshnikov or Leivo and what they can do at the NHL level. Fact is in the past two season, the Leafs have had so few injuries on the wings, that those guys didn't have a change to play. Marleau was signed and Kapanen is a superior player so there were two more wing positions taken up.
Now next year with JVR, Komarov gone via free agency and Martin likely traded, there will some wing positions open.
Feb. 15, 2018 at 6:28 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
For trades like these I almost always pick the player over the pick at first, then, I'll see if the pick pans out. In this trades case, the Blues win. He could still play in the NHL, however the Leafs have been very healthy which is pretty rare for 2 years straight. I don't think this is the last move the Leafs make too.
Feb. 15, 2018 at 6:35 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Soshnikov never had a future with the Leafs. Nice job by Lamoriello by moving a guy who was just clogging the system. Would have liked to have seen him moved in a package for an RHD, but this is fine.
Feb. 15, 2018 at 6:59 p.m.
Follow CapFriendly
I am a bit surprised Leafs even got a 4th for Sosh. The entire league knew the Leafs were stuck. If they sent Soshnikov down, his contract allowed him to leave and go back to Europe.
Leafs aren't demoting Kapanen or Dermott to make a spot for him. So, the last option would've been to put someone on waivers. Which likely would have resulted in losing someone for no return.

Leafs now have flexibilty + another draft pick while Blues got a player with potential. I would say Blues won the trade but ultimately the trade benefited both sides.
Daryl and nobody liked this.
Feb. 15, 2018 at 7:12 p.m.
get ur corsi up
This trade also ensures that Toronto is no longer at the 50 contract limit. Deadline flexibility may have been a major motive for the Toronto front office here.
nobody liked this.
Feb. 15, 2018 at 7:47 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
STL wins more than TOR but it's still a win-win.
nobody liked this.
Feb. 15, 2018 at 11:47 p.m.
GM in the Making
It's a slight win for the Blues for sure. It serves a purpose for Toronto.
Feb. 16, 2018 at 8:07 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
The Leafs have had success in signing Russian and European UFAs.....Zaitsev, Borgman, Soshnikov, Rosen, Aaltonen. Leafs had to "do right" with Soshnkov or else they risked losing some respect when it came to signing future UFAs from Europe.
Feb. 16, 2018 at 8:29 a.m.
Quoting: Jarvis
I am a bit surprised Leafs even got a 4th for Sosh. The entire league knew the Leafs were stuck. If they sent Soshnikov down, his contract allowed him to leave and go back to Europe.
Leafs aren't demoting Kapanen or Dermott to make a spot for him. So, the last option would've been to put someone on waivers. Which likely would have resulted in losing someone for no return.

Leafs now have flexibilty + another draft pick while Blues got a player with potential. I would say Blues won the trade but ultimately the trade benefited both sides.

From the Blues perspective, I can see it. If a player got sent down on waivers (Leivo or Sosh being prime candidates), they would likely be claimed close to the bottom of the league, and the Blues would never have had a shot. On the other hand, giving up a fourth round pick, especially for a relatively young player, is probably worth it in the grand scheme of things; most fourth round picks never become as good as Sosh.

The Leafs perspective only makes sense if they were really concerned about the effects of putting Martin on waivers would have in the dressing room, or Babcock put a stop to that notion from the start. That would have likely been a better move than this, save for getting down to 49 contracts.
Feb. 16, 2018 at 8:45 a.m.
The Leafs perspective only makes sense if they were really concerned about the effects of putting Martin on waivers would have in the dressing room, or Babcock put a stop to that notion from the start. That would have likely been a better move than this, save for getting down to 49 contracts.[/quote]

There is good chance that Martin would not be claimed if put on waivers, and then what do you do with him, send him to the Marlies? You're right. Keep Martin Teams still need depth, and Martin and Leivo provide it. Leafs have just the good fortune of not having injuries at the wing position. Martin could be traded easily after July 1st when the Leafs pay his signing bonus. For the next two season he only receives 2.5m in salary. Even if the Leafs have to include a sweetener, so be it.
Sep. 12, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Quoting: EmpressKayla
Armstrong in NHL 18: "I almost feel guilty saying yes to this deal, as I figure St. Louis is making out like gangbusters here compared to you..."

Or... maybe not. Abruzzese looks like a pretty good prospect, size be damned.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit