SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Trade Deadline Predicament on the back end

Out of Benn, Schlemko, Morrow which two should be traded
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 22, 2018 at 4:07 p.m.
Although Montreal has struggled offensively it’s obvious the root of the problem starts on defense. Not only are they being skated around like pylons in their own zone, but they hurt the transition game into the offensive zone. This is because they can’t skate, move the puck, and make that all important breakout pass. It’s occurred to me that although moving guys like patioretty and Shaw could yield better picks and prospects it’s more vital that the backend be cleared out and rebuilt. However there’s only one problem: Now that Juulsen has been called up, likely for the season due to the Weber injury, the habs only have two NHL contracted D men in Laval (Lernout & Bourque). Bergevin should have no problem bringing up Lernout as he’s given him a vote of confidence in the past and he’s already suited up in games this season. Bourque on the other hand is on his first season in the pros and has struggled with the Rocket and is definitely. So essentially if Montreal is going to move two of their struggling defenceman they’ll be short a D in their system. Their options are really a) get a D back in a trade b) only trade one D away c) bring up Bourque anyway or d) sign gelinas to a pro contract and call him up. What should they do? What trade could get them a D man?
Feb. 22, 2018 at 4:40 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
trade out contracts of vets who are signed next season to make room for future adjustments . Schlemko and Benn contracts are dead weight next season, I guess you can keep one as the #6-7 D but if you can get rid of both, do it! Morrow will be an RFA i believe so there's no rush to move him now, but if MTL can get something similar to what they got from Jerabek, do that too.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 4:46 p.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
trade out contracts of vets who are signed next season to make room for future adjustments . Schlemko and Benn contracts are dead weight next season, I guess you can keep one as the #6-7 D but if you can get rid of both, do it! Morrow will be an RFA i believe so there's no rush to move him now, but if MTL can get something similar to what they got from Jerabek, do that too.

Completely agree with you, they might be able to get rid of morrows rights at the deadline but if not just let him walk. I know people hate on Alzner a lot (and considering how he’s played this season rightfully so) but he’s more suited for a bottom pairing role anyway. Only problem is they’re essentially missing a #7 D if they trade Schlemko and Benn. Side note: I’d take a 3rd/4th for schlemko or Benn all day
Blazingbat11 liked this.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 9:12 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: alexgoodyear
Completely agree with you, they might be able to get rid of morrows rights at the deadline but if not just let him walk. I know people hate on Alzner a lot (and considering how he’s played this season rightfully so) but he’s more suited for a bottom pairing role anyway. Only problem is they’re essentially missing a #7 D if they trade Schlemko and Benn. Side note: I’d take a 3rd/4th for schlemko or Benn all day

Who cares if we are missing a #7 guy, we want to tank, We dont need depth if were not going into the playoffs
Feb. 23, 2018 at 9:15 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Who cares if we are missing a #7 guy, we want to tank, We dont need depth if were not going into the playoffs

Well it’s not about depth... if someone gets injured you can’t ice 5D... and I wouldn’t want to ruin bourques development just for the sake of it
Feb. 23, 2018 at 10:54 a.m.
WentWughes
Well it’s not about depth... if someone gets injured you can’t ice 5D... and I wouldn’t want to ruin bourques development just for the sake of it

We can put Taormina in the lineup, sure he isnt an NHL defensemen, but its works for this year
Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:26 a.m.
We can put Taormina in the lineup, sure he isnt an NHL defensemen, but its works for this year

Would require signing him to an NHL deal first... more likely they get a D back in a trade as a means of taking on a contract
Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:32 p.m.
WentWughes
Would require signing him to an NHL deal first... more likely they get a D back in a trade as a means of taking on a contract

Taormina already has an NHL deal.
Feb. 24, 2018 at 12:44 p.m.
Taormina already has an NHL deal.

No he doesn’t, only Bourque and Lernout do
Feb. 24, 2018 at 12:45 p.m.
WentWughes
No he doesn’t, only Bourque and Lernout do

Dude Taormina has an NHL deal
Feb. 24, 2018 at 12:46 p.m.
WentWughes
Dude Taormina has an NHL deal

Its literally on Capfriendly, just go take a look and stop arguing for the sake of arguing
Feb. 24, 2018 at 12:52 p.m.
Its literally on Capfriendly, just go take a look and stop arguing for the sake of arguing

Please stop being an Idiot, he’s on a one way AHL deal
Feb. 24, 2018 at 12:54 p.m.
WentWughes
Please stop being an Idiot, he’s on a one way AHL deal

Your a very bad troll lol. Doesnt take much knowledge to know the truth
Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:01 p.m.
Your a very bad troll lol. Doesnt take much knowledge to know the truth

It’s a fact man get over it. Show me where it says he’s on an ELC or a two way deal... it’s a one way AHL contract meaning the my need to restructure if they want him to come up... just because he’s in cap friendly doesn’t mean he’s a roster player
Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:02 p.m.
WentWughes
It’s a fact man get over it. Show me where it says he’s on an ELC or a two way deal... it’s a one way AHL contract meaning the my need to restructure if they want him to come up... just because he’s in cap friendly doesn’t mean he’s a roster player

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/free-agent-signings-trades/2017/7/1/15908554/matt-taormina-defence-signs-two-year-contract-montreal-canadiens-ahl-laval-rocket-syracuse-crunch

I dont know how ******** you have to be to being saying these things, but here ya go

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit