Forums/Armchair-GM

CMON!!! Do something major GMBM!

Created by: deledted_12_231
Team: 2017-18 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 22, 2018
Published: Feb. 22, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm sick and tired of everyone saying build for the future with this team...Ovi is 33, Nicky is slumping but still worthy of a top 6-8 center ranking, we got Kuzy and a Holt-beast(Get your head right my man), we have Carlson who's gonna be the most sought after DMan this off-season. The problems are as follows...
1. Burakovsky IS NOT, I repeat IS NOT gonna magically turn into F. Forsberg. He is trash! I'm disgusted that so many on here keep talking about his 25 goal potential and what not. He needs a change of scenery and we need a better top 6 wing than him.
2. I love Wilson's character BUT he Ain't ever gonna be a quality top 6 winger. Third line at best...but if I had my way he would be a fourth line energy player.
3. Orpiks contract. I mean C'mon!!!! This guy should be getting paid 1/3 of what he gets...and even at that price I still wouldn't want him.
4. Too much line juggling going on. Ovi and Nicky belong together. I think A LOT of Nicky's problems this year can be traced to Kuzys contract and time he spends on the top line. I'd be scratching my head if I was near or at the prime of a great career and I got bounced back and forth between the first and 2nd lines when Err'body knows I'm the jelly to Ovis PB.
5. It hurt losing Schmidt and Alzner last off season. Speaking of PB and J. Up till last season Carlson and Alzner were another classic sandwich on our team. They clicked and learned together. Could have been the best D-pair in the league IMO if handled properly. Yes they had issues...but the upside was leaps and bounds above the downsides. Yet again, why was Orpik not traded in order to have the Cap space for Alzner and why wasn't Schmidt protected and that POS Mojo put up for the Vegas draft???

Anyway....enough ranting we can't change the past...I want you guys to give me your opinions on the following missing pieces.
1. TOP Line RW. (Throw a little sliced banana on the PBJ)
2. 2nd Line LW so Vrana can play 3rd line.
3. Solidify the D and dump Orpik(can be separate moves)

After all Ovi and Nicky have given us fans of a perennial dissappointment let's get em so REAL help. They both deserve it.

I'll do my best you do the same.

Thanks guys.

PS - Let's stop the trolling and have reasonable conversations about things on here...I think everybody takes it a bit too seriously...but it is fun. :)

Probably will need MTL to retain some in their trade. Not 100% sure how Cap hits work this time of year.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Chimera, Jason
1$750,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Burakovsky, André
  2. Connolly, Brett
  3. 2018 1st round pick (WSH)
  4. 2018 3rd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Rights to S. Gerisch (overrated IMO)

Might be a bit of an overpayment...however think of it this way...6'4" with a touch for getting points, low PIMS, 6th in Selke voting last year, good to great TKA to GVA ratio, good shot%...a true top line RW.
MTL
  1. Chiasson, Alex
  2. Gustafsson, Hampus
  3. 2018 2nd round pick (FLA)
  4. 2019 2nd round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Rights to I. Samsonov

Gives us a true 2nd line winger. And keeps some of you guys happy that Grubby stays as a insurance to Holt's. Might have to add another AHL prospect to get r done.
LAK
  1. Barber, Riley
  2. Djoos, Christian
  3. Graovac, Tyler
  4. Siegenthaler, Jonas
  5. 2018 4th round pick (WSH)
  6. 2018 6th round pick (WSH)
  7. 2019 1st round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
True Top 4 LH D Man. Giving up about all our picks this year after this...but our Top 4 D would be sick. Can't decide if this is an over or under payment. Please let me know. I'll adjust if needed.
WSH
  1. 2018 7th round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Orpik, Brooks
Additional Details:
Any team really. I'd give him away but I don't think the league would let that happen. :P
WSH
    Chimmer :) $1.5M retained. Bring him back for the cup run...He would be great with Beags and Wilson.
    NYI
    1. 2018 7th round pick (VAN)
    2. 2019 6th round pick (WSH)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$75,000,000$70,226,773$4,978$582,500$4,773,227
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $9,538,462$9,538,462
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $6,700,000$6,700,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $4,900,000$4,900,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 3
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 8
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $650,000$650,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $650,000$650,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $650,000$650,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    Chimera, Jason
    $750,000$750,000
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $1,275,000$1,275,000
    LD
    UFA - 6
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $6,100,000$6,100,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $3,966,667$3,966,667
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $703,333$703,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 22, 2018 at 7:22 p.m.
    Islanders Fan
    Your 2018 and 2019 draft classes are gonna be SICK
    NickC1988 liked this.
    Feb. 22, 2018 at 7:31 p.m.
    Pass on every single one of those trades. Caps giving up waaaay too much in all of them except Orpik, which VAN wouldn't do for a 7th.

In the Stone trade you're giving up a young top 6 player, a good 3rd liner, a future top 6 player, and an important 1st and 3rd we need.

In the Galchenyuk trade it's fine until you give up Samsonov. Samsonov alone would get you Galchenyuk and no Caps shouldn't do that. Samsonov is a future top 3 goalie. Trade Holtby away before Samsonov.

Martinez isn't even worth Djoos (who will be better than Martinez) + 1st, let alone all those other pieces.
    Feb. 22, 2018 at 7:37 p.m.
    Ducks Fly Together
    Quoting: ClockReads2113
    Pass on every single one of those trades. Caps giving up waaaay too much in all of them except Orpik, which VAN wouldn't do for a 7th.

In the Stone trade you're giving up a young top 6 player, a good 3rd liner, a future top 6 player, and an important 1st and 3rd we need.

In the Galchenyuk trade it's fine until you give up Samsonov. Samsonov alone would get you Galchenyuk and no Caps shouldn't do that. Samsonov is a future top 3 goalie. Trade Holtby away before Samsonov.

Martinez isn't even worth Djoos (who will be better than Martinez) + 1st, let alone all those other pieces.

Agree with everything here (esp samsonov) but would love to see Orpik in VAN (maybe with a d prospect like williams/hobbs for a late rounder?) so I could watch an Orpik/Gudbranson d pair make people's heads explode.
    Feb. 22, 2018 at 7:50 p.m.
    Quoting: Oggsford_Blues
    Agree with everything here (esp samsonov) but would love to see Orpik in VAN (maybe with a d prospect like williams/hobbs for a late rounder?) so I could watch an Orpik/Gudbranson d pair make people's heads explode.

haha yes I'm all for Orpik moved. He's a liability every time he's out there. Would rather keep Hobbs but if we can convince someone Williams is a good prospect I'd gladly move him. He'll I'd move Siegenthaler to get it done. I like him but he's stuck behind Orlov-Djoos-Johansen and doesn't even include Kempy and Jerabek.
    Eli liked this.
    Feb. 22, 2018 at 7:53 p.m.
    BringerOfHeat
    LA says thank you for the 1st Rounder!
    Feb. 22, 2018 at 8:07 p.m.
    Banned
    I can honestly say now that no one on this site actually reads any of the info stuff. Lol. Screw public posts. I'll play with myself from now on. Pun intended.
    Feb. 22, 2018 at 10:13 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quoting: Ciccarelli22andOvi8
    I can honestly say now that no one on this site actually reads any of the info stuff. Lol. Screw public posts. I'll play with myself from now on. Pun intended.

Isn't that what you were doing above?

I see a few questions here: a: did you make the team better this year. yes.
    b: is it worth it? No.
    c: can you fit all these guys under the salary cap? Not to my knowledge, no, but maybe, somehow?

Now to the three questions you asked above:

1. TOP Line RW. (Throw a little sliced banana on the PBJ) TJ Oshie
    2. 2nd Line LW so Vrana can play 3rd line. Keep Burakovsky or swap Connolly for Grabner?
    3. Solidify the D and dump Orpik(can be separate moves) Orpik and a 1st McDonagh or Edler, Orpik and a 4th for Hjalmarsson. Probably aren't grabbing any 23 minute guys from Buffalo or Minny,although they have a couple solid ones. Doubt you'll get Martinez because LA is already adding at left D for these playoffs and it's got them back into the chase (see standings).

Good additions. Huge pricetags. Don't get too crazy. Go Caps.
    deledted_12_231 liked this.
    Feb. 22, 2018 at 10:35 p.m.
    Banned
    Edited Feb. 22, 2018 at 10:45 p.m.
    Quoting: Eli
    Isn't that what you were doing above?

I see a few questions here: a: did you make the team better this year. yes.
    b: is it worth it? No.
    c: can you fit all these guys under the salary cap? Not to my knowledge, no, but maybe, somehow?

Now to the three questions you asked above:

1. TOP Line RW. (Throw a little sliced banana on the PBJ) TJ Oshie
    2. 2nd Line LW so Vrana can play 3rd line. Keep Burakovsky or swap Connolly for Grabner?
    3. Solidify the D and dump Orpik(can be separate moves) Orpik and a 1st McDonagh or Edler, Orpik and a 4th for Hjalmarsson. Probably aren't grabbing any 23 minute guys from Buffalo or Minny,although they have a couple solid ones. Doubt you'll get Martinez because LA is already adding at left D for these playoffs and it's got them back into the chase (see standings).

Good additions. Huge pricetags. Don't get too crazy. Go Caps.

Thank you. You actually read the post. A few questions for you.
    1. Why Oshie on the top line? He has shown inconsistencies with Ovi and Nicky. Was a 2nd line guy in STL and doesn't really give that top line a distraction to get guys off Ovi/Nicky. Love Oshie, but always viewed him as a 2nd line guy. The reason I love Stone is that he is a big body with great adv numbers(as well as scoring). Remember Oodles of Knubles? The line of Ovi/Nicky/Knuble was the last devasting top line we had. I see Stone filling that role and more.
    2. Really with Bura? Can you break down why everyone likes him so much. And outside of our team what 2nd line LW would work with Kuzy and Oshie?(obviously not a top 5 guy. You know what I'm getting at.

Thanks again for actually engaging in real discussion. smile

PS- Grabner could work...never heard/seen much to write home about with him tho.

PSS - There goes Grabner...lol. womp womp
    Eli liked this.
    Feb. 22, 2018 at 11:14 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Thank you. You actually read the post. A few questions for you.
    1. Why Oshie on the top line? He has shown inconsistencies with Ovi and Nicky. Was a 2nd line guy in STL and doesn't really give that top line a distraction to get guys off Ovi/Nicky. Love Oshie, but always viewed him as a 2nd line guy. The reason I love Stone is that he is a big body with great adv numbers(as well as scoring). Remember Oodles of Knubles? The line of Ovi/Nicky/Knuble was the last devasting top line we had. I see Stone filling that role and more.
    2. Really with Bura? Can you break down why everyone likes him so much. And outside of our team what 2nd line LW would work with Kuzy and Oshie?(obviously not a top 5 guy. You know what I'm getting at.

Thanks again for actually engaging in real discussion. smile

PS- Grabner could work...never heard/seen much to write home about with him tho.

PSS - There goes Grabner...lol. womp womp

Thank you! Yeah, I'm here for the conversation, too.

Knuble was a force to be reckoned with. Oshie is more of a quick reflexes and soft hands guy. I don't know why that works with Ovechkin and Backstrom, but that was their most frequent line combination last year and the year before and they won the President's trophy each year, so it must have worked http://www.puckbase.com/stats/team-lines?team=WSH&year=2015

I'm on record saying last Spring that Oshie had better highlight reel goals finishing off Kuznetsov's insane behing the back passes from behind the net, but this year he's once again working better with Backstrom, so maybe they should go with that. WIlson certainly tried out for the role of Mike Knuble and, for a week there, seemed like he had it down. Maybe next year?

I think part of the reason for changing up lines is financial. The Caps have a couple more years to decide whether to offer a big enough contract to keep Backstrom through retirement. They're probably running stats and seeing what he gets done with different linemates, and trying to figure out how much he has contributed to Ovechkin's success and vice versa. Some of the worst contracts in recent NHL history have been given to guys who seemed like they were pulling their weight in a great group, and then, on their own, didn't seem to be as good. Take Wade Redden, for instance. Plays great with Chara for years. Never takes a shift with anybody else. Rangers sign Redden for an insane amount of money. And he's terrible. At the start of this year, it seemed like Alzner was going to be a similar disappointment in Montreal without Carlson, until a Weber injury put Alzner on a pair with Petry, and they got something going.

And speaking of defensive pairs:

Quoting: Oggsford_Blues

I don't think Washington needs a late round pick, or that Vancouver has cap space for Orpik if they're keeping the Sedins. What sorts of picks and prospects would get Alex Edler to Washington and Orpik to Vancouver?

Or is the ability to take back Orpik's remaining cap hit the main reason everybody's buzzing about McDonagh and the Rangers?
    Feb. 22, 2018 at 11:42 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Eli
    Thank you! Yeah, I'm here for the conversation, too.

Knuble was a force to be reckoned with. Oshie is more of a quick reflexes and soft hands guy. I don't know why that works with Ovechkin and Backstrom, but that was their most frequent line combination last year and the year before and they won the President's trophy each year, so it must have worked http://www.puckbase.com/stats/team-lines?team=WSH&year=2015

I'm on record saying last Spring that Oshie had better highlight reel goals finishing off Kuznetsov's insane behing the back passes from behind the net, but this year he's once again working better with Backstrom, so maybe they should go with that. WIlson certainly tried out for the role of Mike Knuble and, for a week there, seemed like he had it down. Maybe next year?

I think part of the reason for changing up lines is financial. The Caps have a couple more years to decide whether to offer a big enough contract to keep Backstrom through retirement. They're probably running stats and seeing what he gets done with different linemates, and trying to figure out how much he has contributed to Ovechkin's success and vice versa. Some of the worst contracts in recent NHL history have been given to guys who seemed like they were pulling their weight in a great group, and then, on their own, didn't seem to be as good. Take Wade Redden, for instance. Plays great with Chara for years. Never takes a shift with anybody else. Rangers sign Redden for an insane amount of money. And he's terrible. At the start of this year, it seemed like Alzner was going to be a similar disappointment in Montreal without Carlson, until a Weber injury put Alzner on a pair with Petry, and they got something going.

And speaking of defensive pairs:

I don't think Washington needs a late round pick, or that Vancouver has cap space for Orpik if they're keeping the Sedins. What sorts of picks and prospects would get Alex Edler to Washington and Orpik to Vancouver?

Or is the ability to take back Orpik's remaining cap hit the main reason everybody's buzzing about McDonagh and the Rangers?

Wilson has some potential...here tho I felt when Latta(Wilsons best bud) was left to walk Wilson took it a bit personally and it hindered his learning some. He could be a beast with the right attitude and commitment.

Speaking of business...I will seriously cry if Nicky ever leaves DC. But honestly(and this goes for Ovi too) if he has a chance to go to a team and get a cup I'd be happy for him. He has been snubbed from too many all star games in the past and has been so undervalued for too long. He is the perfect professional and he signed a great deal for us on his last contract. I hope he retires a Cap(with a cup or two of course)

As for Edler/Orpik...I think it would have to be a good haul for the Nucks. A 1st, a 3rd, and an above avg prospect. Maybe an avg prospect too. Van isn't gonna let him go cheap esp with taking on Orpik.
    Eli liked this.
    Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:55 a.m.
    Who adds what?
    Wilson has some potential...here tho I felt when Latta(Wilsons best bud) was left to walk Wilson took it a bit personally and it hindered his learning some. He could be a beast with the right attitude and commitment.

Speaking of business...I will seriously cry if Nicky ever leaves DC. But honestly(and this goes for Ovi too) if he has a chance to go to a team and get a cup I'd be happy for him. He has been snubbed from too many all star games in the past and has been so undervalued for too long. He is the perfect professional and he signed a great deal for us on his last contract. I hope he retires a Cap(with a cup or two of course)

As for Edler/Orpik...I think it would have to be a good haul for the Nucks. A 1st, a 3rd, and an above avg prospect. Maybe an avg prospect too. Van isn't gonna let him go cheap esp with taking on Orpik.

They'll bellyache, I'm sure, and I could see the Caps giving a lot to get Edler, but Orpik's a good hockey player the Canucks luck into in the process, because of the salary cap. His contract might cancel out his value, but it doesn't exceed it, especially on a club with 14M of talent retiring this summer. They won't notice his contract. They will notice an extra first round pick.
    Feb. 23, 2018 at 9:06 a.m.
    Who adds what?
    The thing is, Scandella has similar stats on a worse team in Buffalo, and by the time the asking price reaches Orpik, 1st, 3rd, and two average prospects, I think Buffalo management might be happy. Scandella just turned 28. Edler will be by the playoffs. That makes up for the lack of offense.
    Feb. 23, 2018 at 5:24 p.m.
    Who adds what?

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll