SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(NYR / BOS) - Spooner, Lindgren, Beleskey, 1st, and 7th for Nash

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 25, 2018 at 12:41 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff Gorton was stupid to take that ... he gave up an older rental for younger pieces that are smaller ... not like a 1st round pick has any value Confused
Feb. 25, 2018 at 12:43 p.m.
Quoting: DarylthePony
Boston got fleeced.

There seems to be this myth that Boston got fleeced, and in the long run, they did. And I won't pretend to be thrilled that we're getting off less than $1mil of Beleskey.

But....Rick Nash is still really freaking good.

I wouldn't call it a fleecing. Rangers win, unless Nash is really good in the playoffs and the Bruins make it out of the Atlantic. But it's not that lopsided.
Feb. 25, 2018 at 12:48 p.m.
I don't understand why users feel that trades are always zero sum. If I were to look up in an NHL Trade Dictionary and search up "positive sum," this trade would be under there. Boston gives up assets that they feel is worth a chance to win a cup. New York gets assets for a player that wasn't going to have a role with the team going forward.

Personally, I wouldn't have parted with this if I was Boston - I would have tried to get Michael Grabner or Evander Kane or Mike Hoffman - instead of giving up assets for rentals.

This is good for both teams: Boston gets more ammo for their playoff push. New York gets a nice return for a rental who wouldn't resign with the team.

*I am also surprised that there are 42 users who check out this trade but they can't join the GM Game*
Feb. 25, 2018 at 12:54 p.m.
Buchnevesey
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Jeff Gorton was stupid to take that ... he gave up an older rental for younger pieces that are smaller ... not like a 1st round pick has any value Confused

What
Feb. 25, 2018 at 4:52 p.m.
34 year old who has broken 40 points once in the last four years. Sure, let's trade a 1st rounder, a prospect and one of our best young Centers for him.

Seriously, what the hell. I have to wonder how much McDonaugh goes for if they trade him too, because if Nash goes for more than McDonaugh I really won't know what to think.
Feb. 25, 2018 at 4:59 p.m.
Quoting: Hawkisles
34 year old who has broken 40 points once in the last four years. Sure, let's trade a 1st rounder, a prospect and one of our best young Centers for him.

Seriously, what the hell. I have to wonder how much McDonaugh goes for if they trade him too, because if Nash goes for more than McDonaugh I really won't know what to think.

spooner was not one of bostons best young centers are you ok? He hasnt played center all season. Clearly they dont think of him much as a center, They've been trying to trade him all year. Nothing lost there
Feb. 25, 2018 at 5:04 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Deleted Post
Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Feb. 25, 2018 at 5:04 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Buchnevesey
What

I was kidding
Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Feb. 25, 2018 at 9:39 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Boston got Nash but gave up Spooner a 1st, prospect and a late draft pick. On the bright side they got rid of Beleskey's contract, well only 50% of it.
Feb. 26, 2018 at 6:59 a.m.
Quoting: Hawkisles

Wow there are a lot of things you're missing with Nash. Points are part of the puzzle, but that's just it, they are a part. Nash looked fantastic last night in his first game for BOS. He played a 200ft game, was tough on the boards and kept plays alive. IDK how you can't like this deal for Boston. The biggest piece they gave up was Spooner and he's a RFA that had no future with this team...we were literally looking to upgrade his position.
Feb. 26, 2018 at 4:20 p.m.
Boston got fleeced.

When you have a mountain of outstanding prospects it's ok to let a couple go. And we get a pure goal scorer......we got what we needed and could afford to give up what we did.....but anyone BUT a Bruin fan wouldn't understand that......
Feb. 26, 2018 at 4:35 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: PaulDunnill
When you have a mountain of outstanding prospects it's ok to let a couple go. And we get a pure goal scorer......we got what we needed and could afford to give up what we did.....but anyone BUT a Bruin fan wouldn't understand that......

There were cheaper options out there. I do understand it, similar to what the Leafs did with Plekanec. Nash will be great for you guys, I just think you could have saved some money with other options.
Feb. 27, 2018 at 12:59 a.m.
There were cheaper options out there. I do understand it, similar to what the Leafs did with Plekanec. Nash will be great for you guys, I just think you could have saved some money with other options.

wasn't about money, was about getting somebody who can score....Plekanec doesn't do that
Feb. 27, 2018 at 6:24 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: PaulDunnill
wasn't about money, was about getting somebody who can score....Plekanec doesn't do that

What I meant is, Toronto and Boston both had spare pieces, allowing them to overpay for players they needed:
Feb. 27, 2018 at 8:42 a.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
Wow there are a lot of things you're missing with Nash. Points are part of the puzzle, but that's just it, they are a part. Nash looked fantastic last night in his first game for BOS. He played a 200ft game, was tough on the boards and kept plays alive. IDK how you can't like this deal for Boston. The biggest piece they gave up was Spooner and he's a RFA that had no future with this team...we were literally looking to upgrade his position.

Nash is no longer the sniper of yore, now he is a 200ft player --> I agree with you

But why are you thinking so badly about Spooner?
I think he can help the Rangers and become a new weapon!
Feb. 27, 2018 at 8:58 a.m.
Quoting: Riichard89
Nash is no longer the sniper of yore, now he is a 200ft player --> I agree with you

Who said I'm thinking badly about Spooner? He's a solid offensive player that should do wonders for the Rangers PP unit. For Boston though, he wasn't part of their future plans and they were actively looking to upgrade his position. I think he fits in perfectly for what the Rangers are doing right now and I wish him the best. My biggest negative on him is his lack of a 200ft game, but then again Bergeron is one of my favorite players and I like everyone to play a 200ft game lol
Riichard89 liked this.
Feb. 27, 2018 at 8:32 p.m.
What I meant is, Toronto and Boston both had spare pieces, allowing them to overpay for players they needed:

absolutely correct
Feb. 27, 2018 at 8:34 p.m.

Nothing bad about Spooner. But as long as Bergy and Krejci are there, he was going to go to a new team on his own. Sweeney just got something for him before he does!!!
Feb. 28, 2018 at 2:31 a.m.
Who said I'm thinking badly about Spooner? He's a solid offensive player that should do wonders for the Rangers PP unit. For Boston though, he wasn't part of their future plans and they were actively looking to upgrade his position. I think he fits in perfectly for what the Rangers are doing right now and I wish him the best. My biggest negative on him is his lack of a 200ft game, but then again Bergeron is one of my favorite players and I like everyone to play a 200ft game lol

ok then we agree

PS Today Nash played a big game against CAR! 200ft!
Feb. 28, 2018 at 7:45 a.m.
ok then we agree

PS Today Nash played a big game against CAR! 200ft!

Nash has actually surprised me in his first two games. The guy still has some left in the tank and I think he could put up big numbers if he had a full season of Krejci/DeBrusk or even Bergeron/Marchand. I really hope Boston take a long hard look at re-signing him in the off-season. Rumors are he really wants to go back to NYR, but I'd certainly try to get him on a 2-3 year deal
Feb. 28, 2018 at 7:56 a.m.
Nash has actually surprised me in his first two games. The guy still has some left in the tank and I think he could put up big numbers if he had a full season of Krejci/DeBrusk or even Bergeron/Marchand. I really hope Boston take a long hard look at re-signing him in the off-season. Rumors are he really wants to go back to NYR, but I'd certainly try to get him on a 2-3 year deal

I wonder if he really wants sign a rebuild team?!
Also NYR can try to get him on 2-3 year deal for 4.000.000$ --> pls not more

It will be an exciting off season for NYR as well as darftday
Feb. 28, 2018 at 8:31 a.m.
I wonder if he really wants sign a rebuild team?!
Also NYR can try to get him on 2-3 year deal for 4.000.000$ --> pls not more

It will be an exciting off season for NYR as well as darftday

Well if the rumors are true and Kovy/Grabner wants to return then those are some serious pieces coming back. Now imagine if the Rangers somehow manage to sign a JT or trade for a Karlsson. The Rangers could turn things around pretty quickly if they do it right. They can also just stockpile picks and build a deep pool.
Feb. 28, 2018 at 8:52 a.m.
Well if the rumors are true and Kovy/Grabner wants to return then those are some serious pieces coming back. Now imagine if the Rangers somehow manage to sign a JT or trade for a Karlsson. The Rangers could turn things around pretty quickly if they do it right. They can also just stockpile picks and build a deep pool.

Based on them trading out McDonagh, I think the Rangers see this as a 2-3 year rebuild, if not longer. And Boston was at the top of Nash's trade list. With the limited number of RW options on the FA market and in our system, I would love to see the Bruins offer him a 2-year, $4.5-5mil AAV deal or a 1-year, $5.5mil AAV deal.
Feb. 28, 2018 at 8:57 a.m.
Quoting: tadhockey
Based on them trading out McDonagh, I think the Rangers see this as a 2-3 year rebuild, if not longer. And Boston was at the top of Nash's trade list. With the limited number of RW options on the FA market and in our system, I would love to see the Bruins offer him a 2-year, $4.5-5mil AAV deal or a 1-year, $5.5mil AAV deal.

Nash before being traded talked about how he loved playing for the Rangers and everything associated with being a Ranger. If the team turns around and lands Ilya + either JT or Karlsson...I think they would get Nash's attention and have him excited to return.
Feb. 28, 2018 at 4:17 p.m.
Quoting: tadhockey

I think in New York you don't have 3 years time. They have to work quickly!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit