SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Curious to hear new ideas for NHL

Do you hate how the NHL is so much about money?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 1, 2018 at 12:10 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I don't really understand why, and never have. Look at Radulov for example. He left the Canadiens so he could get money, though he loved playing in Montreal, and he was already gonna get millions of dollars, so why just leave for more? And then 2004-05 for example, the salary cap, that created arguments. Just wondering how the NHL may be able to change this to make it better. Not exactly right now, but maybe at some point, even if it's in 5-10 years. If it means skipping a season, there should be some way to find a solution, so just curious what ideas you guys can all think of. I think definitely making the salaries smaller, and making it more about the game, because hockey's a great game, and it needs to be more about the game, and less about the money. You can be creative with your ideas. Just curious.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 8:44 a.m.
I don't agree that the salaries of the player should be smaller. The players earn what they bring into the company - after all, these teams are companies competing for dollar votes with other teams.

I would really love if the salary cap was still in place, but eliminating the AAV regulations allowing players to make tons of money in a year - say 20M.

I also love the idea of eliminating the salary cap and imposing a luxury tax that goes towards various league wide overhead and the player safety department.
tylerpaluzzi35, Mr_cap and Munsen88 liked this.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 10:20 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni
I don't agree that the salaries of the player should be smaller. The players earn what they bring into the company - after all, these teams are companies competing for dollar votes with other teams.

I would really love if the salary cap was still in place, but eliminating the AAV regulations allowing players to make tons of money in a year - say 20M.

I also love the idea of eliminating the salary cap and imposing a luxury tax that goes towards various league wide overhead and the player safety department.

Yeah, i've always liked the idea of making the cap for signing UFAs, so like a certain amount of money you can spend on UFAs each year, though it wouldn't include trades. I disagree about the salaries being smaller, because even if the league has to be a lot about money, the players make way too much, like look at a guy like McDavid. Does he really need 12.5M per year or whatever he's making?
The reason i like the idea of the UFA spending limit only is because it would stop teams from signing all the players, however it would also stop salary cap trades, because both teams need to agree on a trade, one team can't just say, 'McDavid for future considerations, deal.'
Mar. 1, 2018 at 10:26 a.m.
It doesn't matter if McDavid "needs" to make 12.5M. That's what he is worth on the market.

The model of teams signing players would be nearly identical. The only thing that would change would be the AAV limit. Instead of McDavid making 12.5M, maybe he makes 18.5M since he is worth that on the market.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 10:42 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
It doesn't matter if McDavid "needs" to make 12.5M. That's what he is worth on the market.

The model of teams signing players would be nearly identical. The only thing that would change would be the AAV limit. Instead of McDavid making 12.5M, maybe he makes 18.5M since he is worth that on the market.

Well maybe compared to the salary cap, but if they kept everything the same except making those numbers smaller, that would include the salary cap.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 11:12 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Well maybe compared to the salary cap, but if they kept everything the same except making those numbers smaller, that would include the salary cap.

Make what smaller?
Mar. 1, 2018 at 11:32 a.m.
without a salary cap, the league would be just 16 teams. so it stays just like any other league. the nhl salary cap is vey easy to understand and can't be easily manipulated which is fair for all teams. the total pay structure is fair for teams and players
Mar. 1, 2018 at 11:40 a.m.
get ur corsi up
@rangersandislesfan , I have to agree with @phillyjabroni on this one. Sure these NHLers do not need the money they grab each year. But as philly said, it is a market, it’s a business. Auston Matthews attracts fans to Leafs games and promotes the purchase of merchandise. He brings a lot to the “company” and therefore will be given a huge contract in two years. The NHL is a business, it runs on teams competing financially just like other businesses do.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 11:49 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: clark
without a salary cap, the league would be just 16 teams. so it stays just like any other league. the nhl salary cap is vey easy to understand and can't be easily manipulated which is fair for all teams. the total pay structure is fair for teams and players

The salary cap is fine, but i don't like how they include players teams have traded for or traded away. Once again, both teams need to agree on a trade for it to be made.

Quoting: DarylthePony
@rangersandislesfan , I have to agree with @phillyjabroni on this one. Sure these NHLers do not need the money they grab each year. But as philly said, it is a market, it’s a business. Auston Matthews attracts fans to Leafs games and promotes the purchase of merchandise. He brings a lot to the “company” and therefore will be given a huge contract in two years. The NHL is a business, it runs on teams competing financially just like other businesses do.

Yeah, and it's not terrible, i'd change some of the stuff about big, huge hits that can injure players and stuff like that over this, but it's still kind of annoying how we see some stupid things happen in the NHL because of money, like players leaving their teams when they're a great fit there because of money.

Make what smaller?

The salaries and, as i said, the salary cap.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 11:52 a.m.
get ur corsi up
The salary cap is fine, but i don't like how they include players teams have traded for or traded away. Once again, both teams need to agree on a trade for it to be made.

Yeah, and it's not terrible, i'd change some of the stuff about big, huge hits that can injure players and stuff like that over this, but it's still kind of annoying how we see some stupid things happen in the NHL because of money, like players leaving their teams when they're a great fit there because of money.

The salaries and, as i said, the salary cap.

But rangers, it makes perfect sense for an NHLer to go wherever offers them the best salary. Being an NHLer is a job. Lets say you work in an office, making an okay salary and you’ve fit in really welll. Then another offer comes from a different company and they offer you more money. Wouldn’t you take it?
Mar. 1, 2018 at 11:55 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DarylthePony
But rangers, it makes perfect sense for an NHLer to go wherever offers them the best salary. Being an NHLer is a job. Lets say you work in an office, making an okay salary and you’ve fit in really welll. Then another offer comes from a different company and they offer you more money. Wouldn’t you take it?

No, probably not, because if i'm already making millions, i'd probably stay with the team i'm with if i really like playing there. For example, look what Stamkos did. Other teams were probably offering 9M+ but he didn't take it, and chose to stay in Tampa.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 11:56 a.m.
get ur corsi up
No, probably not, because if i'm already making millions, i'd probably stay with the team i'm with if i really like playing there. For example, look what Stamkos did. Other teams were probably offering 9M+ but he didn't take it, and chose to stay in Tampa.

Fair enough. But keep in mind players also leave to win. Radulov jumped ship at the perfect time.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 11:56 a.m.
Quoting: clark

Except for leagues that have a salary cap and a luxury tax (NBA) and one that just has a luxury tax (MLB)
Mar. 1, 2018 at 2:04 p.m.
COOOOOOOTS!
Except for leagues that have a salary cap and a luxury tax (NBA) and one that just has a luxury tax (MLB)

I don't think you can compare the NHL with MLB since even the basic structure of each league is completely different.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 2:29 p.m.
Quoting: usurp
I don't think you can compare the NHL with MLB since even the basic structure of each league is completely different.

can you elaborate?
Mar. 1, 2018 at 2:31 p.m.
WentWughes
Something that should be changed is the Maximum Cap Space of each team, They should go by the percent of Tax you have to pay. For Example Stamkos making 8.5 on Tampa Bay, compared to if he was Making 8.5 on Montreal. I think the Cap Hit should be a players Salary after tax, not before
Mar. 1, 2018 at 3:13 p.m.

The problem is your thinking like a fan and not like this is a job.

Lets say you're making $75k at your current job (whatever that is) and another company says "listen we like what you can bring to the table a we're willing to pay you $100k per year"

^For NHLer's its the same talks just on a much larger monetary scale. Lets also not forget, for most of these guys this is their career and after hockey they aren't getting normal 9-5 jobs. Up to the 2013-2014 season the average NHL player last 5 years before their career is over. Now in 2015 it was reported that the average person makes $1.4 million in their life-time. So in 5 years many players need to try and meet or exceed that $1.4 million that it takes most people 40 years to make.

At the end of the day it entertainment. We as a society pay to be entertained. Why are production companies willing to pay top dollar for a star actor...well its because that star actor will draw more to the box office and generate greater revenue. NHL is the same way. The owners (production company) will pay premiums for certain players (actors) because they generate major revenue for the team. Its not all on the ice either, its merchandise sales, potential partnerships with athletes others companies they work with and so many other things. The market value of a player goes well beyond just the ice.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 3:36 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: ON3M4N
The problem is your thinking like a fan and not like this is a job.

Lets say you're making $75k at your current job (whatever that is) and another company says "listen we like what you can bring to the table a we're willing to pay you $100k per year"

^For NHLer's its the same talks just on a much larger monetary scale. Lets also not forget, for most of these guys this is their career and after hockey they aren't getting normal 9-5 jobs. Up to the 2013-2014 season the average NHL player last 5 years before their career is over. Now in 2015 it was reported that the average person makes $1.4 million in their life-time. So in 5 years many players need to try and meet or exceed that $1.4 million that it takes most people 40 years to make.

At the end of the day it entertainment. We as a society pay to be entertained. Why are production companies willing to pay top dollar for a star actor...well its because that star actor will draw more to the box office and generate greater revenue. NHL is the same way. The owners (production company) will pay premiums for certain players (actors) because they generate major revenue for the team. Its not all on the ice either, its merchandise sales, potential partnerships with athletes others companies they work with and so many other things. The market value of a player goes well beyond just the ice.

Yes, however people need money more if they're getting 75K than they do if they're making what NHL players are making. 5M a year is more than enough money, so why leave a team you love playing for to get more? And about your original question, it depends how much someone enjoys each job too. Radulov, for example, enjoyed playing in Montreal, but he left just to get more money, which, in my opinion, was a mistake.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 3:53 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Something that should be changed is the Maximum Cap Space of each team, They should go by the percent of Tax you have to pay. For Example Stamkos making 8.5 on Tampa Bay, compared to if he was Making 8.5 on Montreal. I think the Cap Hit should be a players Salary after tax, not before

This doesn't make any sense. Your punishing teams and disincentivizing players based purley on state regulations.
DoctorBreakfast liked this.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 3:57 p.m.
Edited Mar. 1, 2018 at 4:03 p.m.
Yes, however people need money more if they're getting 75K than they do if they're making what NHL players are making. 5M a year is more than enough money, so why leave a team you love playing for to get more? And about your original question, it depends how much someone enjoys each job too. Radulov, for example, enjoyed playing in Montreal, but he left just to get more money, which, in my opinion, was a mistake.

Again you're looking at it and basing everything on the money an NHL player is making and not thinking about it as if you were in a players shoes. Some guys want to make as much as they can because this is realistically when they are making their living. Sure maybe someone loves playing for a specific city, but they don't like the direction of the team or they have personal needs that could be better addressed in a different location. There are so many factors that go into these choice for players. I know us average joes will say we wouldn't leave for more money or "i'd be happy making that", but the truth is we can't say that because we're not in their shoes.

I've had countless times where I've said (from the outside looking in) if it were me I'd do it different and I do it this way...when given the chance and rationally looking at things...I made the same choice that others before me did. Sometimes when we're actually put in that situation our opinions and thought process changes.

BTW my example was a 33% increase so on a $1 million contract that would be equal to a $1.33 million deal. Shattenkirk went got a 52% increase this past off-season so using the $75k average Joe (like we are), you wouldn't leave a company whose paying you $75k for a company that is willing to pay you $114k?

Again don't look at it as "well they make million so they are set" because that way of thinking isn't correct. Personal need vary. Some can live a minimal life style and be happy, others required multi million dollar luxuries to be happy. Is one right and one wrong? nope, just a preference. At the end of the day I'm all for whatever makes people happy has long as it legal, don't affect me and doesn't hurt others.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 4:29 p.m.
Below Market Value

You think it was a mistake for Radulov to leave the tire fire that currently is Montreal? Maybe he saw how much better Dallas was constructed, and saw the potential for more success there. Even so, there's nothing wrong with wanting to maximize your potential earnings.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 4:36 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Spoken like a true Montreal fan. What else should we adjust the cap for? Property taxes? Sales tax? Housing prices? Should Canadian teams and American teams have different cap structures because they use different currency? That's just one more thing the NHL needs to worry about. That could result in year-to-year cap fluctuations and could cause teams to end up over the cap based on a contract signed two years prior.

Teams shouldn't be punished just because of who runs the legislature in their state/province.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 5:05 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
There is zero reason why a salary cap should be eliminated in hockey. Without the cap, teams like Montreal, Chicago, Toronto, New York, etc would always be the top dogs. Teams like Florida, Arizona, etc would basically be facing impossible climbs of getting to the top. Top players simply bolt in free agency and form "super teams" like what's in the NBA quite often. While they may be fun to watch at times, there is no place for them.

Another horrible aspect without the salary cap is that it makes cheap owners sell for less than fair value (Miami Marlins style). The Marlins traded three top talents, including the reigning NL MVP, and got zero top 100 prospects. This is pure finances that are affecting the team in as severe a way as possible not simply baseball operations like it should be. We almost saw this anyways, with Ottawa entertaining the thought of trading Erik Karlsson along with Bobby Ryan. If there was no salary cap, it would have been extremely easy for Tampa to pull it off, and therefore forming a "super team".

It also creates more of a strategic element for all GMs up against the cap. Take my Capitals last year. They had to let quality players leave due to salary cap constraints, including trading away a top six winger in Marcus Johansson due to the salary cap. If the salary cap wasn't there, our owner certainly would have been able to pay to keep as many of these players as he wanted. It creates an unfair advantage to the wealthier teams in the league.

Taking away the salary cap is one of the worst things that could possibly happen. Even if you throw in a "luxury tax", there are owners that won't care about that. Winning is what matters most to the most competitive of owners, and they will spend whatever money is necessary. The salary cap makes everything level and gives every team a fair shot at building a champion.

@phillyjabroni can you please elaborate as to why you think having such an incredible unbalance in the league is a good idea?
Mar. 1, 2018 at 5:25 p.m.
HawksFan28
Yes, of course like all businesses this sport revolves around money, because living requires money and time is money.

Believe it or not the players and team owners aren't in the hockey business just to entertain fans, and sadly many fans don't realize this. This is why I get pissed off when "fans" blame franchise owners for moving their team, or when fans from a city get pissy because their city (or providence) doesn't have an NHL team while they demand one and say stupid stuff like "Las Vegas gets a franchise but Hamilton doesn't" lol...

I'm not the biggest fan of the salary cap either.... I mean the salary cap only exists to keep failing teams alive because the more teams that exist means the more hockey players employed and the NHLPA likes this, because the NHLPA exists to make money too...

IMO, if an NHL team cant financially support itself then it shouldn't exist - or at least not in that market.

We should have no salary cap because it goes against fundamental economics.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 5:43 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: krakowitz
There is zero reason why a salary cap should be eliminated in hockey. Without the cap, teams like Montreal, Chicago, Toronto, New York, etc would always be the top dogs. Teams like Florida, Arizona, etc would basically be facing impossible climbs of getting to the top. Top players simply bolt in free agency and form "super teams" like what's in the NBA quite often. While they may be fun to watch at times, there is no place for them.

Another horrible aspect without the salary cap is that it makes cheap owners sell for less than fair value (Miami Marlins style). The Marlins traded three top talents, including the reigning NL MVP, and got zero top 100 prospects. This is pure finances that are affecting the team in as severe a way as possible not simply baseball operations like it should be. We almost saw this anyways, with Ottawa entertaining the thought of trading Erik Karlsson along with Bobby Ryan. If there was no salary cap, it would have been extremely easy for Tampa to pull it off, and therefore forming a "super team".

It also creates more of a strategic element for all GMs up against the cap. Take my Capitals last year. They had to let quality players leave due to salary cap constraints, including trading away a top six winger in Marcus Johansson due to the salary cap. If the salary cap wasn't there, our owner certainly would have been able to pay to keep as many of these players as he wanted. It creates an unfair advantage to the wealthier teams in the league.

Taking away the salary cap is one of the worst things that could possibly happen. Even if you throw in a "luxury tax", there are owners that won't care about that. Winning is what matters most to the most competitive of owners, and they will spend whatever money is necessary. The salary cap makes everything level and gives every team a fair shot at building a champion.

@phillyjabroni can you please elaborate as to why you think having such an incredible unbalance in the league is a good idea?

The salary cap doesn't exist to ensure teams have an "equal" amount of great players.... It's about jobs.

The salary cap exists to keep teams afloat, and more teams means more hockey players have jobs and the NHLPA likes that because that makes them money..

This is about money not talent.

Do you really think anyone except for Panthers fans care if Florida is good or not? no, because the franchise only exists to employ NHL players and generate revenue.

So yea, the salary cap doesn't exist so broke teams get their "fair share" of good players..

If you remove the salary cap the only thing that will change is teams would fold their franchises.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit