SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Will Edmonton make the playoffs next year?

Thread title
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 1, 2018 at 12:11 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
The fact that they were good last year tells me they should make it. I think they will and this is just a down year, though they might not.
Mar. 1, 2018 at 3:06 a.m.
no,

Because I think they have to much capspace in only two players
Mar. 1, 2018 at 10:43 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Riichard89
no,

Because I think they have to much capspace in only two players

Yeah, i mean it all comes down to whether this is a down year for them or last year was a good year for them.
Mar. 9, 2018 at 4:04 p.m.
HawksFan28
Edited Mar. 9, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.
Well the odds are no..

Heck, they got a generational talent in McDavid, and they may get another one this summer in Dalhin and they STILL cant make the playoffs...

I really don't understand how this works.

2016: Puljujarvi, 4th overall.
2015: McDavid, 1st overall.
2014: Draisaitl, 3rd overall.
2013: Nurse, 7th overall.
2012: Yakupov, 1st overall.
2011: Nugent-Hopkins, 1st overall, Klefbom, 19th overall.
2010: Taylor Hall, 1st overall.
2009: Paajarvi, 1st overall.
2008: Eberle, 22nd overall.
2007: Gagner 6th overall, Plante 15th overall, Nash 21st overall.

Edmonton's draft position between 2007-2016 (10 drafts)? 4.7 or 5th overall. Yes that's right they averaged a lottery pick for an entire decade.

Edmonton has made the playoffs ONE TIME since 2006..

This kind of pisses me off to an extent too. Edmonton is basically being rewarded for epic incompetence. and straight up neglect I mean it's not like the Oilers had lottery picks in terrible drafts - no - they have had lottery picks in just about every draft over the last decade and they still suck.... It's not like the Oilers drafted terrible players either.. Yakupov and Paajarvi were arguably "busts" but that is no excuse for what's going on in Edmonton. Either way no one in Edmonton knows how to run a hockey team.... They actually believe if they take the "best player" in every draft they will somehow draft themselves into a playoff team... Sorry, but GM's actually have to design a team the draft cant design the team for them.... For years I advocated the Edmonton trade their pick for a player they could use to fill holes - that would make their team better, but nope...... Edmonton is a perfect example of a collection of "hockey minds" that don't know what the hell they're doing ..... Edmonton's brass is ABSOLUTELY terrible at asset management... Edmonton could have traded some of their picks for players they needed to make their team better... It's mind-boggling. I mean 1st overall picks can pretty much get you anything your team needs, what do they do? draft again.

I mean one year they may really really need a #1 defenseman so what do they do? do they use the pick to trade for one? NOPE then draft another forward...Another left wing or center, positions they're already deep in..... Because you know, you gotta take the best player available right?

And you can absolutely BET Edmonton will win the lotto next month and will land ANOTHER franchise player in Dalhin.....

It's like Edmonton only exists to pick in the top 10 every year and top 5 most years while being flat out failures in the regular season so they can take another young player from another team that EARNED their draft position by just being bad - NOT incompetent..

What can you really say?

IMO, if Edmonton does end up drafting 1st overall again there needs to be rules put in place that allows teams to draft 1st overall X amount of times in X window, because this is just ridiculous.
Mar. 9, 2018 at 4:55 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Quoting: HawksFan28

2009: Paajarvi, 1st overall..

10th overall, no?
Mar. 9, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: Banks
10th overall, no?

Obviously I missed the 0...... Either way me missing the zero doesn't change the fact that Edmonton doesn't know what they're doing and is being rewarded for it, lol.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 9, 2018 at 7:13 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Yeah, i mean it all comes down to whether this is a down year for them or last year was a good year for them.

reality is probably somewhere in the middle.
Mar. 9, 2018 at 11:39 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: hpatton
reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

I really think they're pretty close to being really good.
Mar. 10, 2018 at 1:18 p.m.
HawksFan28
I really think they're pretty close to being really good.

Yea, that's what they said after they had those 3 consecutive first overall picks. That was 5 years ago lol. Since then they drafted 7th, 3rd, 1st & 4th then 22nd and now top 5 again and still nothing...

It's insanity - it's the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Mar. 10, 2018 at 1:44 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Yea, that's what they said after they had those 3 consecutive first overall picks. That was 5 years ago lol. Since then they drafted 7th, 3rd, 1st & 4th then 22nd and now top 5 again and still nothing...

It's insanity - it's the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The thing is, 2015 was different because ... well, i've heard this McDavid guy is pretty good.
HawksFan28 liked this.
Mar. 10, 2018 at 2:38 p.m.
HawksFan28
The thing is, 2015 was different because ... well, i've heard this McDavid guy is pretty good.

That's what gets me.... Look at what the Oilers have on paper, yet they're a lottery draft team this year... How does that team miss the playoffs or even come close to missing the playoffs?

My only theory here is that Edmonton doesn't have the right locker room guys... That team could use veterans that know how to win and have won... They could really use a guy like Brent Searbrook, Ian Cole, Patrick Sharp, Drew Doughty or Matt Cullen - guys that know what it takes to win.... I mean they have Lucic but... Look, it doesn't matter how great young guys are because they're still inexperienced and inexperience shows (look at the Hawks this year)... They're too wet behind the ears and they've been too wet behind the ears for a decade now........ It seems Edmonton actually believes they can repeat what the OIlers dynasty of the 80's did - and that's win with a bunch of young naive kids..... Well it's just not going to happen in this era. These kids need someone to guide them regardless of how talented they are - there is plenty to learn that only vets know, that only experience will get you.

I've advocated trading Seabrook to the Oilers for a while because he would be thee perfect fit for that team and Oilers fans laugh, as if taking Seabrook's contract is more insulting than drafting in the top 5 every year for a decade.... And I would bet anything if Edmonton did bring in guys that have won Cups and know how to win that are "locker room guys" there is no doubt in my mind they will make some deep playoff runs.....

That's just my theory as to why the Oilers have gotten nowhere over the past decade.
Mar. 10, 2018 at 6:51 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
That's what gets me.... Look at what the Oilers have on paper, yet they're a lottery draft team this year... How does that team miss the playoffs or even come close to missing the playoffs?

My only theory here is that Edmonton doesn't have the right locker room guys... That team could use veterans that know how to win and have won... They could really use a guy like Brent Searbrook, Ian Cole, Patrick Sharp, Drew Doughty or Matt Cullen - guys that know what it takes to win.... I mean they have Lucic but... Look, it doesn't matter how great young guys are because they're still inexperienced and inexperience shows (look at the Hawks this year)... They're too wet behind the ears and they've been too wet behind the ears for a decade now........ It seems Edmonton actually believes they can repeat what the OIlers dynasty of the 80's did - and that's win with a bunch of young naive kids..... Well it's just not going to happen in this era. These kids need someone to guide them regardless of how talented they are - there is plenty to learn that only vets know, that only experience will get you.

I've advocated trading Seabrook to the Oilers for a while because he would be thee perfect fit for that team and Oilers fans laugh, as if taking Seabrook's contract is more insulting than drafting in the top 5 every year for a decade.... And I would bet anything if Edmonton did bring in guys that have won Cups and know how to win that are "locker room guys" there is no doubt in my mind they will make some deep playoff runs.....

That's just my theory as to why the Oilers have gotten nowhere over the past decade.

Well Seabrook Chicago would have to retain 50% of his contract. Without retaining half there's no way Edmonton will want him ... no way at all.
Mar. 11, 2018 at 2:50 p.m.
HawksFan28
Well Seabrook Chicago would have to retain 50% of his contract. Without retaining half there's no way Edmonton will want him ... no way at all.

I agree.... But I'm not trying to sell Seabrook, I'm merely saying that Edmonton needs guys like Seabrook - guys that played a role both on and off the ice for perennial contenders that have won. The problem is that not many of those guys are available - because they're core guys and their teams have been successful with them, so they have no reason to move them nor will they move them unless they have to... So these types of players are rare because they're rarely on the market.

I mean in 2010 the Hawks brought in John Madden to be "that guy, that leader", and you can bet his locker room presence and leadership played a role in the Hawks near-decade of domination after that. Madden certainly rubbed off on Toews and Seabrook.... So guys like that are extremely important to teams that want to win and I don't see any of these young teams winning a Cup like Edmonton, Toronto, Buffalo etc without those veteran guys.... It will be interesting to see if Tampa Bay can do it this year... Obviously TB went to the finals in 2015 and lost to the Hawks who had those guys.

Some may think I'm overrating the importance of these "locker room" guys but I don't think I am... I used to think guys like that were overrated, but they're really not because they provide something extra that puts young teams over the top... They kinda guide the way, provide a pathway and keep the confidence going in the locker room because they've been in every position you can imagine and found a way to win so they know what it takes..

So yea, if young teams don't have guys like that these days they're just not going to win championships..
Mar. 11, 2018 at 3:03 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
suck in North America - get your hand held, your deficit paid by the other teams and nurtured with top players for years

suck in Europe - fold
Mar. 11, 2018 at 3:31 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: Barathrum_Obama
suck in North America - get your hand held, your deficit paid by the other teams and nurtured with top players for years

suck in Europe - fold

That's why I don't like the salary cap, it only exists to keep lousy teams that cant financially support themselves afloat because these teams employ hockey players and that's what the NHLPA cares about.

But I don't think Edmonton is one of these teams......Edmonton can financially support themselves, Edmonton just sucks and cant win because they're too scared to make changes.
Mar. 11, 2018 at 5:10 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I agree.... But I'm not trying to sell Seabrook, I'm merely saying that Edmonton needs guys like Seabrook - guys that played a role both on and off the ice for perennial contenders that have won. The problem is that not many of those guys are available - because they're core guys and their teams have been successful with them, so they have no reason to move them nor will they move them unless they have to... So these types of players are rare because they're rarely on the market.

I mean in 2010 the Hawks brought in John Madden to be "that guy, that leader", and you can bet his locker room presence and leadership played a role in the Hawks near-decade of domination after that. Madden certainly rubbed off on Toews and Seabrook.... So guys like that are extremely important to teams that want to win and I don't see any of these young teams winning a Cup like Edmonton, Toronto, Buffalo etc without those veteran guys.... It will be interesting to see if Tampa Bay can do it this year... Obviously TB went to the finals in 2015 and lost to the Hawks who had those guys.

Some may think I'm overrating the importance of these "locker room" guys but I don't think I am... I used to think guys like that were overrated, but they're really not because they provide something extra that puts young teams over the top... They kinda guide the way, provide a pathway and keep the confidence going in the locker room because they've been in every position you can imagine and found a way to win so they know what it takes..

So yea, if young teams don't have guys like that these days they're just not going to win championships..

Yeah, so maybe a guy like Sharp/Cole instead, someone they don't need to get on a terrible contract.
Mar. 13, 2018 at 11:28 p.m.
The fact that they were good last year tells me they should make it. I think they will and this is just a down year, though they might not.

Oh my God!!!! Will you please get down off that fence post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're going to hurt yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit