SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Where should the Coyotes go?

Where do you think?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 4, 2018 at 2:12 p.m.
Nick17FoRcE71
Since Arizona is moving after 2019 I’ll be wondering were do they go I’ll give you my top three cities that might have a hockey team
1. Seattle: This city has enough room and well I think they need one in general as they have one is the WHL so I think this could give Seattle more spotlight.
2. Qubec: This city already had a hockey team the Nordiqes (sorry if it is spelled wrong) but the people of Qubec have been wanting there hockey team back for ages.
3. Green Bay: This city is right by the best state of hockey sadly I don’t know how much space it has and only has one professional team but could put more spotlight on Green Bay.
donte liked this.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 3:05 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Thinking they'll move isn't crazy but i'm wondering why Arizona isn't even an option on the poll. Sure, they may move soon, but i wouldn't take Arizona off the list. I think they stay, at least for a few years, but if they were to move in 2019, i wouldn't say Seattle because they're adding an expansion team in Seattle in 2020. Maybe Quebec but then the divisions would get all weird so idk where they'd go if they go anywhere that is. Oklahoma City and Green Bay i don't see. Maybe Houston, or i could even see Kansas City. There were a lot of rumours of a Kansas City team in the offseason. I think the NHL is really trying not to move teams anymore. Arizona might make sense though, because it's not much of a hockey place. This wouldn't be because of money or arenas or anything, this could make sense because maybe somewhere with more fans might make more sense, though i think in the end, they'll stay in Arizona. Gary Bettman has said they're wanting to keep the team in Arizona.
Pens71FoRcE liked this.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 3:10 p.m.
There's a high chance they move from Glendale back to Phoenix.
rangersandislesfan, Munsen88, Pens71FoRcE and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 3:58 p.m.
Nick17FoRcE71
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Thinking they'll move isn't crazy but i'm wondering why Arizona isn't even an option on the poll. Sure, they may move soon, but i wouldn't take Arizona off the list. I think they stay, at least for a few years, but if they were to move in 2019, i wouldn't say Seattle because they're adding an expansion team in Seattle in 2020. Maybe Quebec but then the divisions would get all weird so idk where they'd go if they go anywhere that is. Oklahoma City and Green Bay i don't see. Maybe Houston, or i could even see Kansas City. There were a lot of rumours of a Kansas City team in the offseason. I think the NHL is really trying not to move teams anymore. Arizona might make sense though, because it's not much of a hockey place. This wouldn't be because of money or arenas or anything, this could make sense because maybe somewhere with more fans might make more sense, though i think in the end, they'll stay in Arizona. Gary Bettman has said they're wanting to keep the team in Arizona.

They are moving the owner said they are due to the stadium and I like BoltsPoint21 opinion
Mar. 4, 2018 at 4:35 p.m.
Buchnevesey
If there’s going to be a team in Seattle it will be expansion not relocation
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 4:57 p.m.
donte
team name should be quebuc huskies
Mar. 4, 2018 at 6:12 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: donte
team name should be quebuc huskies

Not the Nordiques?
Mar. 4, 2018 at 6:13 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Pens71FoRcE
They are moving the owner said they are due to the stadium and I like BoltsPoint21 opinion

I didn't see anything about that ... then i guess they'll move somewhere but i think they stay in Arizona.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 7:03 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
The biggest issue is that Glendale doesn’t want the Coyotes. They had an arena plan in Phoenix where they were partnering with Arizona State University, but they backed out, which threw a wrench in their plans.

If they were to relocate, Houston seems to be the ideal location for the league. The owner of the Rockets is more than willing to spend the money to bring in a team, and it seems like the type of market the league would be looking in to. If not Houston, Quebec makes sense simply because everything is ready for a team to jump in.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 8:24 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
They're probably not going anywhere (well, outside the Phoenix area; Glendale sure doesn't want them).
1) da TV rightz moniezzzzzzzzz
2) relocation makes Bettman and the NHL look like chumps and an unstable league, and they can't have that.
3) Québec City's never getting a team as long as the Canadian dollar is weaker than a paper bridge in the wind, and it's just going to divert revenue from Montréal and net the NHL no additional revenue.
4) relocation doesn't net the league more $$$ than expansion. the NHL wants moneyyyyyyyy.
Pens71FoRcE liked this.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 9:03 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
They're probably not going anywhere (well, outside the Phoenix area; Glendale sure doesn't want them).
1) da TV rightz moniezzzzzzzzz
2) relocation makes Bettman and the NHL look like chumps and an unstable league, and they can't have that.
3) Québec City's never getting a team as long as the Canadian dollar is weaker than a paper bridge in the wind, and it's just going to divert revenue from Montréal and net the NHL no additional revenue.
4) relocation doesn't net the league more $$$ than expansion. the NHL wants moneyyyyyyyy.

A lot of people are saying Quebec will eventually get a team. I think there's a good chance the Nordiques will finally return. I don't think the league should expand to 40 teams or anything but maybe 34 would be okay. With 34, they may need to change the way the playoff matchups are set up, but i still think they should put 16 and only 16 teams in the playoffs. It makes it even harder to make it.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 9:03 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Pens71FoRcE

Also, where did you read this?
Mar. 4, 2018 at 9:10 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
A lot of people are saying Quebec will eventually get a team. I think there's a good chance the Nordiques will finally return. I don't think the league should expand to 40 teams or anything but maybe 34 would be okay. With 34, they may need to change the way the playoff matchups are set up, but i still think they should put 16 and only 16 teams in the playoffs. It makes it even harder to make it.
The Canadian dollar was 75 cents on the US dollar when the Nordiques left in '95, mainly due to financial instability. It is currently 78 cents on the dollar. What makes anyone really think the Nordiques are coming back, besides wishful thinking?
Mar. 4, 2018 at 10:11 p.m.
The Canadian dollar was 75 cents on the US dollar when the Nordiques left in '95, mainly due to financial instability. It is currently 78 cents on the dollar. What makes anyone really think the Nordiques are coming back, besides wishful thinking?

giphy.gif
Mar. 4, 2018 at 10:37 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Are you saying that no Canadian teams will be added? They need to pay about 575M to join the league, right? Is that US or Canadian? I think there's a good chance they'll find a way to bring back the Nordiques, whether it's expansion or a relocation.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 10:57 p.m.
Are you saying that no Canadian teams will be added? They need to pay about 575M to join the league, right? Is that US or Canadian? I think there's a good chance they'll find a way to bring back the Nordiques, whether it's expansion or a relocation.

If it's in CAD it would cost 741,353,250. That's a ton of dough.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 11:02 p.m.

it will cost Seattle 650M USD to get a team. That fee will go up to 700M USD or 900M CAD at the lowest.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 11:42 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni
If it's in CAD it would cost 741,353,250. That's a ton of dough.

I know, but with all the people in the world there's a good chance that someone will do that.

Quoting: BoltsPoint21
it will cost Seattle 650M USD to get a team. That fee will go up to 700M USD or 900M CAD at the lowest.

The last time the NHL expanded (Vegas), didn't it cost 500M USD? I just put it in the middle.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 11:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I'm not even saying it'll for sure happen but there's definitely a chance.
Mar. 4, 2018 at 11:50 p.m.
I know, but with all the people in the world there's a good chance that someone will do that.

The last time the NHL expanded (Vegas), didn't it cost 500M USD? I just put it in the middle.

If it costed 500M for Vegas, and will cost 650M for Seattle, why would expanding to Quebec cost less than Seattle?
Mar. 4, 2018 at 11:55 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
If it costed 500M for Vegas, and will cost 650M for Seattle, why would expanding to Quebec cost less than Seattle?

Why would it cost more? Idk how much it'll cost, and I doubt you do either.
Mar. 5, 2018 at 9:50 a.m.
Why would it cost more? Idk how much it'll cost, and I doubt you do either.

cuz the NHL wants more money. Also, every time a team is added, the cost always goes up.
Mar. 5, 2018 at 10:09 a.m.
Sensible Commentary
It's not expansion cost. It's sustainability. Québec City has ~500K people, easily the smallest market in the NHL. Players for all teams, even Canadian ones that earn revenue in CAD, still get paid based on the USD value of the contract. With the CAD still weak, any Nordiques franchise would immediately hemorrhage money, just like the Nordiques were in the early '90s before they moved.
Mar. 5, 2018 at 10:34 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
It's not expansion cost. It's sustainability. Québec City has ~500K people, easily the smallest market in the NHL. Players for all teams, even Canadian ones that earn revenue in CAD, still get paid based on the USD value of the contract. With the CAD still weak, any Nordiques franchise would immediately hemorrhage money, just like the Nordiques were in the early '90s before they moved.

Green Bay has less, and Pens71FoRcE seems to think it's a good place for an NHL team. I don't see the NHL going to Green Bay anyway, but 500K isn't that low. In Canada especially. There are a lot of hockey fans in Canada obviously, so there would be enough fans. Look at the Habs, not too far away, always tons of fans. Sure, you might think that they and the Canadiens would both sell less tickets/get less fans because they'd both be in the league and you might think it's too close, but look at the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils. I think bringing back the Nordiques would be a great idea. About what BoltsPoint21 said, still, there's a good chance someone will do that. It may be a relocation anyway. I just think that you can't fully take out the possibility of bringing back the Nordiques. Not even saying it'll for sure happen, but there's definitely a chance.
Mar. 5, 2018 at 2:15 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Green Bay has less, and Pens71FoRcE seems to think it's a good place for an NHL team. I don't see the NHL going to Green Bay anyway, but 500K isn't that low. In Canada especially. There are a lot of hockey fans in Canada obviously, so there would be enough fans. Look at the Habs, not too far away, always tons of fans. Sure, you might think that they and the Canadiens would both sell less tickets/get less fans because they'd both be in the league and you might think it's too close, but look at the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils. I think bringing back the Nordiques would be a great idea. About what BoltsPoint21 said, still, there's a good chance someone will do that. It may be a relocation anyway. I just think that you can't fully take out the possibility of bringing back the Nordiques. Not even saying it'll for sure happen, but there's definitely a chance.
None of this fixes the fact that the CAD to USD exchange rate is still sub-par and that a Nordiques franchise would still bleed money. Anybody that shows up to a Nordiques game likely has already been giving money to the Canadiens, so that takes away money from the Canadiens and gives it to the Nordiques; still a zero-sum result. Players are still going to get paid based on the USD value of their contract. The new Nordiques would pull in some money from Québec City residents attending games and immediately lose it when paying players and staff. You'd get another penny-pinching franchise like the Senators because they'd be struggling to stay afloat because of the CAD-USD exchange rate.

Look at this section of the Wikipedia article on the Nordiques: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Nordiques#Final_season_and_move_to_Denver Read the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs and tell me whether any of that has actually changed.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit