Forums/NHL

Where should the Coyotes go?

Where do you think?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 5, 2018 at 8:13 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
None of this fixes the fact that the CAD to USD exchange rate is still sub-par and that a Nordiques franchise would still bleed money. Anybody that shows up to a Nordiques game likely has already been giving money to the Canadiens, so that takes away money from the Canadiens and gives it to the Nordiques; still a zero-sum result. Players are still going to get paid based on the USD value of their contract. The new Nordiques would pull in some money from Québec City residents attending games and immediately lose it when paying players and staff. You'd get another penny-pinching franchise like the Senators because they'd be struggling to stay afloat because of the CAD-USD exchange rate.

Look at this section of the Wikipedia article on the Nordiques: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Nordiques#Final_season_and_move_to_Denver Read the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs and tell me whether any of that has actually changed.

Okay, i didn't know Quebec was the smallest market in the NHL, but IMO if they brought them back, they'd get a lot of fans. Look at the Jets, didn't a similar thing happen with them as the Nordiques? And now the new Jets are getting a lot of fans. They brought back the Jets, so i don't see a huge problem with bringing back the Nordiques. Sure, it's a bit different but not too different.
Mar. 5, 2018 at 8:27 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Okay, i didn't know Quebec was the smallest market in the NHL, but IMO if they brought them back, they'd get a lot of fans. Look at the Jets, didn't a similar thing happen with them as the Nordiques? And now the new Jets are getting a lot of fans. They brought back the Jets, so i don't see a huge problem with bringing back the Nordiques. Sure, it's a bit different but not too different.
"they'd get a lot of fans" not as many as if the Coyotes get good. All the NHL has to do is get 20% of the Phoenix metro area to care about the Coyotes, and that would be literally more people than the entire Québec City metro area.

Complacency is anathema to the NHL and its singular quest for money. Why settle for most of 800,000 people when you can possibly get a good chunk of 4.5 million?

(Also, the Jets went to Winnipeg because Atlanta's ownership literally did not care one iota about the Thrashers and was content to let them bleed to death. The NHL only relocates when the status quo actively hurts a team.)
Mar. 6, 2018 at 12:44 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
"they'd get a lot of fans" not as many as if the Coyotes get good. All the NHL has to do is get 20% of the Phoenix metro area to care about the Coyotes, and that would be literally more people than the entire Québec City metro area.

Complacency is anathema to the NHL and its singular quest for money. Why settle for most of 800,000 people when you can possibly get a good chunk of 4.5 million?

(Also, the Jets went to Winnipeg because Atlanta's ownership literally did not care one iota about the Thrashers and was content to let them bleed to death. The NHL only relocates when the status quo actively hurts a team.)

Yeah, you might be right, i'm just saying there's definitely that possibility that the Nordiques come back.
Mar. 6, 2018 at 10:01 a.m.
Sensible Commentary
Yeah, you might be right, i'm just saying there's definitely that possibility that the Nordiques come back.
And I'm saying that possibility is veeeeeeery unlikely right now.
Mar. 9, 2018 at 2:59 p.m.
HawksFan28
Green Bay? LOL.... Green Bay will NEVER have a major professional hockey, baseball or basketball team. Has anyone been to Green Bay? it has a population of about 100,000 people... It doesn't have the economics to really support any professional franchise.. They have the Packers because the city collectively owns the Packers so that is a unique situation..

IMO, a city has to have a population of at least 5 million combined between the city and metro area (within a 40 mile radius of the city) to even explore the possibility of a professional sports franchise.

Green Bay literally sits in the middle of nowhere.

Houston and Seattle are good locations... OKC is way too small and it's not a hockey market at all.

Quebec City just doesn't have the population to support an NHL franchise with 500,000 people.... I mean you're walking on eggshells as far as revenue... The problems with places like Quebec city is that they don't have the population and hockey fans are already fans of other teams, so drumming up support for a new team will be difficult. Then of course you will have arena issues, investor issues and it's a long process to even consider....

Houston tho has a population of 2.3 million in the city and 6.5 million people in the metro area. Seattle has a population of only 700,000 BUT it has a metro population of almost 4,000,000.

I mean after teams are put in Seattle and Houston - I think the US will be tapped out on cities to put NHL franchises..... Some people say Kansas City, but like Oklahoma City it's just not a hockey market. And I don't see the NHL going back to Atlanta for at least 20 years. I mean Miami would have a team before Atlanta .... IMO, after Seattle and Houston if the NHL wants to continue to expand the league Miami would be the next choice..
Mar. 9, 2018 at 3:09 p.m.
HawksFan28

I know people want to believe this but it's never going to happen. Quebec City and their metro population is only 800,296.... That population cant support an NHL franchise ...

Is it a hockey city? absolutely, however the population, hence economics just aren't there to make it a viable place to put a team... To make matters worse hockey fans in Quebec are already fans of other teams... Then you need an arena, find investors and come up with 500 million just to buy in...... It's never going to happen.
Mar. 9, 2018 at 8:52 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: HawksFan28
I mean after teams are put in Seattle and Houston - I think the US will be tapped out on cities to put NHL franchises..... Some people say Kansas City, but like Oklahoma City it's just not a hockey market. And I don't see the NHL going back to Atlanta for at least 20 years. I mean Miami would have a team before Atlanta .... IMO, after Seattle and Houston if the NHL wants to continue to expand the league Miami would be the next choice..
I see someone missed the fact that the Panthers play in the Miami metro area.

BB&T Arena does have a horrendous location; it's basically next to the Everglades. But it is technically in the Miami metro area.
Jul. 9, 2018 at 3:22 p.m.
Nick17FoRcE71
Also, where did you read this?

I read that all long time ago on NHL.com

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit