SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

What's An Extra Year of JT Worth Via Trade?

Mar. 7, 2018 at 2:56 p.m.
As many know, If a player re-signs with their current team, the maximum length offer is 8 years while the rest of the league can only offer 7 years. If JT didn't want to re-sign with the Islanders, what would the value be for another team to do a sign & trade in order to gain the 8th year of control? Being only 27yrs old JT would be around 35 when the contract expired so he should still be a solid contributor towards the end of his contract.
Mar. 7, 2018 at 3:46 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: ON3M4N
As many know, If a player re-signs with their current team, the maximum length offer is 8 years while the rest of the league can only offer 7 years. If JT didn't want to re-sign with the Islanders, what would the value be for another team to do a sign & trade in order to gain the 8th year of control? Being only 27yrs old JT would be around 35 when the contract expired so he should still be a solid contributor towards the end of his contract.

I'd say a 1st and a prospect, but it depends on Tavares.
If he demands an 8th year with a new team, Snow has to do his best to comply, otherwise he walks for nothing.
Snow has to save face in that scenario.

Getting a 1st and a prospect for a player that is leaving anyway, is a win. If he is willing to stick to his guns and go all or nothing, the other team will comply to keep Tavares off the market. He'd be playing chicken, but he has nothing to lose.
At least if Tavares walks for nothing, he can "blame" the player. If he does a sign and trade for say, a 2nd, he bears responsibility for the mediocre return.

If Snow's job isn't in jeopardy, it doesn't matter.
If it is, only a good return can save him.
In either case, all or nothing is his best option.
Mar. 7, 2018 at 4:02 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I think it really depends on how each GM decides to play the cards. Every GM interested in Tavares could just wait for him to hit free agency, and there's nothing that Snow can do about it. But I'd assume that all interested teams would be willing to give up something miniscule in a sign and trade to ensure that they get him. The price could be ran all the way up to something considered as "fair value" for Tavares with term.
Mar. 7, 2018 at 4:15 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
I think it really depends on how each GM decides to play the cards. Every GM interested in Tavares could just wait for him to hit free agency, and there's nothing that Snow can do about it. But I'd assume that all interested teams would be willing to give up something miniscule in a sign and trade to ensure that they get him. The price could be ran all the way up to something considered as "fair value" for Tavares with term.

I think you misunderstood the question. If Team A wanted to signed JT to an 8 year deal, but couldn't because they weren't his current team. What would be the value if Team A and the NYI did a sign and trade so that way Team A could get JT at 8 years vs 7 years.
Mar. 7, 2018 at 5:52 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I think you misunderstood the question. If Team A wanted to signed JT to an 8 year deal, but couldn't because they weren't his current team. What would be the value if Team A and the NYI did a sign and trade so that way Team A could get JT at 8 years vs 7 years.

Tavares would have to pretty sure he was getting top value if he agreed to sign and trade, cause he has really being negotiating with only two teams, the Isles...and this team that bought negotiating rights.
To answer your question. A team buys negotiating rights for a third rounder. A team might pay as much as first rounder if he signs.
Mar. 7, 2018 at 6:12 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
The problem is, his contract would not look great if it's for 10M+ in 8 years. Because sure, he'll still be a great player, but only superstars get 10M+, which i'm not sure he'll still be an actual superstar in 8 years.
Mar. 7, 2018 at 6:32 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: krakowitz

It could be a decent return, but like I said, Snow's better off taking nothing and acting like his hands were tied, than giving him up for something small or typical of negotiating rights trades.
Mar. 7, 2018 at 7:19 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Tavares would have to pretty sure he was getting top value if he agreed to sign and trade, cause he has really being negotiating with only two teams, the Isles...and this team that bought negotiating rights.
To answer your question. A team buys negotiating rights for a third rounder. A team might pay as much as first rounder if he signs.

Thats just it, I'm talking more of a hey NYI listen we're going to sign JT, but what would you want in a sign and trade so we can get the extra year. You really think a team gives up a 1st for a sign and trade?
Mar. 7, 2018 at 9:32 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Thats just it, I'm talking more of a hey NYI listen we're going to sign JT, but what would you want in a sign and trade so we can get the extra year. You really think a team gives up a 1st for a sign and trade?

Yea, if a team really wanted JT, a first would be reasonable to them (maybe not you or to. me). Otherwise that one teams is competition with about 5 other teams for JT. My own opinion is Tavares does warrant top 5 salary in the league, especially in the future. But it only takes one team to overpay (at least by my value)
Mar. 8, 2018 at 9:57 a.m.
Below Market Value
I'm not sure why a team would want an extra year anyway. He'll be 35 in that season, so he won't be at his peak performance; It's an extra year of multi-million dollar expenses; and that team would have to give up assets for his negotiating rights, which aren't always a guaranteed signing.
Mar. 8, 2018 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
I'm not sure why a team would want an extra year anyway. He'll be 35 in that season, so he won't be at his peak performance; It's an extra year of multi-million dollar expenses; and that team would have to give up assets for his negotiating rights, which aren't always a guaranteed signing.

I believe in order to get the extra year JT would need to sign and then be traded. Per the rules it says he has to re-sign with his current team. Even if you trade his rights I'm not sure it counts as his "current team"
HawksFan28 liked this.
Mar. 9, 2018 at 2:22 p.m.
HawksFan28

It wouldn't be worth anything..... In 8 years Tavares will be 35, do you think a team is going to cough up extra assets to pay him 10-11 million when he's 34/35? I think absolutely not.

I mean the only reason WHY these players get these long-term deals - at least when they're in their late 20's is because players want the security...

You can bet a team would rather sign Tavares at his age to a 5 year deal, but Tavares won't accept a 5 year deal unless it's 13+ per...

I suppose if you front-loaded the contract it would help a bit but an extra year is worth nothing - if anything an extra year decreases his value .
Mar. 9, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
HawksFan28
I believe in order to get the extra year JT would need to sign and then be traded. Per the rules it says he has to re-sign with his current team. Even if you trade his rights I'm not sure it counts as his "current team"

That is true, but not in Tavares' case. He's scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent.... The Islanders can offer him the 8 years until his RFA contract expires, so if he doesn't doesn't sign an extension before July 1st then even the Islanders can only offer him 7 years.

I think a better question would be what Tavares negotiating rights are worth, I mean he is a pending UFA.... I doubt it would be much but probably more than most players. Perhaps a 2nd round pick, maybe a 3rd or even a prospect.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 9, 2018 at 3:12 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast

I agree that the 8th year isn't gonna get a team to trade fir his rights, but i think someone would give up something for his rights, because if they just wait until FA, everyone will be trying to sign him, so it won't be easy to get him signed ... if someone trades for his rights, that gives that team a much better chance at signing him. I still think he'll re-sign but at this point i think there's definitely an okay chance he doesn't, and if he tells them in June that he's not re-signing, they could get something for his rights. Someone might offer something like a 3rd + a conditional 1st that they get if he re-signs, otherwise they only get the 3rd. There would likely be a 1st involved that's conditional on him signing.
Mar. 16, 2018 at 10:45 a.m.
Interesting that LeBrun brings up a sign and trade for JT in order for a team to get the 8th year.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:23 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Interesting that LeBrun brings up a sign and trade for JT in order for a team to get the 8th year.

Yeah, i could maybe see that, though sign-and-trades don't happen very often. I still see him re-signing but this is an option (partly because the Isles would get a better return nod lol)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll