SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

What happens with JVR?

Mar. 15, 2018 at 6:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I still think there's a chance he re-signs but i don't see it happening. I could maybe see him going to the Oilers.
Mar. 17, 2018 at 10:28 a.m.
get ur corsi up
JVR will take a major raise this offseason and rightfully so. Toronto would be wise to let him go and give guys like Kapanen, Leivo, and Johnsson more ice time. Especially with Nylander, Matthews, and Marner needing contracts, and then Kadri, Rielly, and Andersen down the road, I do not see JVR staying.
Mar. 17, 2018 at 1:56 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Daryl
JVR will take a major raise this offseason and rightfully so. Toronto would be wise to let him go and give guys like Kapanen, Leivo, and Johnsson more ice time. Especially with Nylander, Matthews, and Marner needing contracts, and then Kadri, Rielly, and Andersen down the road, I do not see JVR staying.

Yeah, agreed, though i don't mind their decision of keeping him at the deadline because why not go for the cup? They have a real chance at the cup this year IMO, but i agree, they can't sign him.
Mar. 18, 2018 at 5:01 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
He signs with his boyhood team the Rangers, who have a spot for him.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 18, 2018 at 5:10 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Watching Johnsson play these past few games, it appears like he’s the guy Babcock and staff want to fill into JVR’s shoes. Johnsson’s got good speed and great offensive instinct, he’ll really soften the blow of loosing JVR.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 7:50 a.m.
JVR wins the Conn Smythe this spring, Leafs can't afford him
Mar. 20, 2018 at 12:32 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: palhal
He signs with his boyhood team the Rangers, who have a spot for him.

As i Rangers fan, i'd take him.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 3:35 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: orignalsix
JVR wins the Conn Smythe this spring, Leafs can't afford him

If anyone on the Leafs wins the Conn Smythe it would most certainly be Frederik Andersen. Andersen has been the most valuable player so far. I wouldn't rule out Marner either based on his play lately.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:47 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
If anyone on the Leafs wins the Conn Smythe it would most certainly be Frederik Andersen. Andersen has been the most valuable player so far. I wouldn't rule out Marner either based on his play lately.

Uh ... Matthews?
Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:49 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Uh ... Matthews?

A candidate, but Andersen is the Leafs most valuable player.
Conn Smythe:
1. Andersen
2. Matthews/Marner
3. JVR
Gronk liked this.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 10:59 p.m.

My sarcasm. JVR goes on a rampant goal scoring spree in the playoffs. So many offers for his services in July. Leafs can't afford him. Rangers sign him for 12m a yearapplaud. Your list is accurate.
Daryl and rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:08 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
A candidate, but Andersen is the Leafs most valuable player.
Conn Smythe:
1. Andersen
2. Matthews/Marner
3. JVR

Andersen's great but in the playoffs this year i think Matthews would get the Conn Smythe if the Leafs win the cup, because if they win the cup he'd have to play unbelievable (which he could).
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:20 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Andersen's great but in the playoffs this year i think Matthews would get the Conn Smythe if the Leafs win the cup, because if they win the cup he'd have to play unbelievable (which he could).

Absolutely not, if we are going to take down Boston, Tampa, Pittsburgh/Washington, and Nashville/Winnipeg we need Andersen to be playing the best hockey of his life. Toronto doesn’t depend on Matthews because we also have guys like Marner, Nylander, Kadri, and JVR that can all score. Andersen would be depended on by Babcock so much especially with our defensive issues
Mar. 22, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Absolutely not, if we are going to take down Boston, Tampa, Pittsburgh/Washington, and Nashville/Winnipeg we need Andersen to be playing the best hockey of his life. Toronto doesn’t depend on Matthews because we also have guys like Marner, Nylander, Kadri, and JVR that can all score. Andersen would be depended on by Babcock so much especially with our defensive issues

Sure, Anderson would need to be great, but i actually think Matthews would more than Andersen because Anderson isn't actually a superstar ... being the superstar of a team is not easy, and you need to be at your very best then. IMO Matthews would get the Conn Smythe over Andersen. Now, sure, Andersen could win it over Matthews if the Leafs win the cup (which, no joke, could actually happen this year), but i think Matthews is more likely.
Mar. 22, 2018 at 7:03 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Sure, Anderson would need to be great, but i actually think Matthews would more than Andersen because Anderson isn't actually a superstar ... being the superstar of a team is not easy, and you need to be at your very best then. IMO Matthews would get the Conn Smythe over Andersen. Now, sure, Andersen could win it over Matthews if the Leafs win the cup (which, no joke, could actually happen this year), but i think Matthews is more likely.

I don’t think you watch the Leafs play based on that comment. I’m not saying Matthews isn’t great, Matthews is a wonderful player. But if you watch the Leafs it is Andersen that wins and steals games, much more than Matthews.
Mar. 23, 2018 at 1:14 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I don’t think you watch the Leafs play based on that comment. I’m not saying Matthews isn’t great, Matthews is a wonderful player. But if you watch the Leafs it is Andersen that wins and steals games, much more than Matthews.

Just because he's the goalie doesn't mean he'd win the Conn Smythe. Sure, Andersen could win it if they Leafs win, but he's not the one obvious choice. Matthews isn't either. Either of them could, but my pick goes to Matthews, because he can score goals, get assists, and play a good two-way game.
Mar. 23, 2018 at 3:14 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Just because he's the goalie doesn't mean he'd win the Conn Smythe. Sure, Andersen could win it if they Leafs win, but he's not the one obvious choice. Matthews isn't either. Either of them could, but my pick goes to Matthews, because he can score goals, get assists, and play a good two-way game.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Matthews win it, but I where would Toronto be without Andersen? Out of the playoffs. Where would Toronto be without Matthews? Maybe slightly lower than we are now. Andersen has been that guy that has stolen games for us, Matthews doesn't do that. When he gets older Matthews will turn into a guy who can change games, but right now Andersen is responsible on a higher level for our success.
Mar. 23, 2018 at 4:22 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I wouldn't be shocked to see Matthews win it, but I where would Toronto be without Andersen? Out of the playoffs. Where would Toronto be without Matthews? Maybe slightly lower than we are now. Andersen has been that guy that has stolen games for us, Matthews doesn't do that. When he gets older Matthews will turn into a guy who can change games, but right now Andersen is responsible on a higher level for our success.

About Andersen, it depends if they had someone to replace him. If they hadn't traded for Andersen they may have traded for another goalie. Matthews would be harder to replace. Now, if they just didn't have Anderson at all, that's a bit different, but either way, they'd be out of the playoffs without Matthews IMO, or at least almost out of the playoffs.
Mar. 23, 2018 at 4:41 p.m.
get ur corsi up
About Andersen, it depends if they had someone to replace him. If they hadn't traded for Andersen they may have traded for another goalie. Matthews would be harder to replace. Now, if they just didn't have Anderson at all, that's a bit different, but either way, they'd be out of the playoffs without Matthews IMO, or at least almost out of the playoffs.

All I’m saying is Andersen is playing his way into a Vezina, Matthews on the other hand I doubt wins any awards.
Andersen has been way to critical for us to not get the Conn Smythe.
Mar. 23, 2018 at 6:11 p.m.
Who even said a Leaf is going to win the Conn Smythe squinty smile

Not related to the topic I guess, but then again this thread went completely off topic ----- what's JVR's weakness in his game? What does he lack in him as a player? Just wondering
Mar. 24, 2018 at 9:07 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: DavidBooth7
Who even said a Leaf is going to win the Conn Smythe squinty smile

Not related to the topic I guess, but then again this thread went completely off topic ----- what's JVR's weakness in his game? What does he lack in him as a player? Just wondering

We were talking hypothetically. To answer your questions the thing about JVR is he isn't a complete forward like Matthews or Marner, he sits in front of the net and waits. I feel like Johnsson can actually turn into a speedier and more play making version of JVR. JVR is a pure forward that specializes in front of the net scoring. He is not a player that can control the play and he isn't a game changer. He'll be a perfect fit on a team like St. Louis, Edmonton, Calgary, or Dallas that already has quality forwards that can control the play while JVR can position himself for the tip/rebound.
nobody liked this.
Mar. 24, 2018 at 12:56 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
All I’m saying is Andersen is playing his way into a Vezina, Matthews on the other hand I doubt wins any awards.
Andersen has been way to critical for us to not get the Conn Smythe.

Vasilevskiy wins the Vezina IMO. I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I understand what you're saying about Andersen and how much he's doing for them, but i also think that without a superstar it is very hard to win the cup, and Matthews is their superstar player.
Mar. 24, 2018 at 6:21 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Vasilevskiy wins the Vezina IMO. I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I understand what you're saying about Andersen and how much he's doing for them, but i also think that without a superstar it is very hard to win the cup, and Matthews is their superstar player.

Andersen is a superstar player.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 2:45 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Andersen is a superstar player.

No, he's not IMO.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 8:21 a.m.
get ur corsi up
No, he's not IMO.

Take a look at his stats rangers, he’s one of the best goalies in the league right now.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll