SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

Harvard Eliminated: And Now We Wait ~ Donato Watch

Mar. 17, 2018 at 10:13 a.m.
Title says it all. Does he sign, does he stay? Does he go to the NHL or to the AHL?
Mar. 17, 2018 at 2:05 p.m.
BreKel
So from everything that's being put out there, he can only sign a 2 year ELC. If he signs and plays, that would burn a year right off the bat, and the Bruins would only have him for one full season. He becomes an RFA in 2019-2020; same time as McAvoy, Heinen, JFK, and Carlo. Does Boston care about that? I would assume so.... I think they try and get him on the 2 year ELC that starts next year 2018-2019, and he reports to Providence on an ATO.
Mar. 17, 2018 at 3:31 p.m.
Quoting: BreKel
So from everything that's being put out there, he can only sign a 2 year ELC. If he signs and plays, that would burn a year right off the bat, and the Bruins would only have him for one full season. He becomes an RFA in 2019-2020; same time as McAvoy, Heinen, JFK, and Carlo. Does Boston care about that? I would assume so.... I think they try and get him on the 2 year ELC that starts next year 2018-2019, and he reports to Providence on an ATO.

Ya my thought has been from the start that he'd do an ATO then sign in the off-season. It makes not sense to burn a year off his contract when the team is as good as it is anyways. People forget that there was no plan for McAvoy to play in the NHL last year. If Carlo never gets hurt, McAvoy never debuts during the playoffs.
BreKel liked this.
Mar. 18, 2018 at 7:49 a.m.
BreKel
Quoting: ON3M4N
Ya my thought has been from the start that he'd do an ATO then sign in the off-season. It makes not sense to burn a year off his contract when the team is as good as it is anyways. People forget that there was no plan for McAvoy to play in the NHL last year. If Carlo never gets hurt, McAvoy never debuts during the playoffs.

Great point. It's easy to get stuck on the fact he came into the playoffs and right away established himself as a top 4 guy, but it's definitely something people forget. Donato may be NHL ready and able to step in and be productive, but I'd prefer that extra season of control. Also, the expansion draft needs to be factored in. I thought I read that if he plays this season, he's eligible for expansion. If he plays next year, he is not eligible for it.
Mar. 18, 2018 at 8:52 a.m.
Great point. It's easy to get stuck on the fact he came into the playoffs and right away established himself as a top 4 guy, but it's definitely something people forget. Donato may be NHL ready and able to step in and be productive, but I'd prefer that extra season of control. Also, the expansion draft needs to be factored in. I thought I read that if he plays this season, he's eligible for expansion. If he plays next year, he is not eligible for it.

IDK what the actual clock would be for his time. Last expansion it was 2 years and I imagine the next will be the same. Come to think of it, Boston might be in a spot where they need to trade to protect someone or trade someone all together or lose good talent for nothing.
BreKel liked this.
Mar. 18, 2018 at 7:55 p.m.

Mar. 18, 2018 at 8:11 p.m.
BreKel
I wonder what the lineup will be tomorrow....I'm going off the assumption that DeBrusk will not be playing.

Without Backes:

Marchand -- Nash -- Pastrnak
Heinen -- Krejci -- Nash
Donato -- Wingels -- Gionta
Schaller -- Kuraly -- Acciari

With Backes (not sure he'll be ready to go but he is a nut):

Marchand -- Backes -- Pastrnak
Heinen -- Krejci -- Nash
Donato -- Nash -- Gionta
Schaller -- Kuraly -- Acciari/Wingels
Mar. 19, 2018 at 6:31 a.m.
I wonder what the lineup will be tomorrow....I'm going off the assumption that DeBrusk will not be playing.

Without Backes:

Marchand -- Nash -- Pastrnak
Heinen -- Krejci -- Nash
Donato -- Wingels -- Gionta
Schaller -- Kuraly -- Acciari

With Backes (not sure he'll be ready to go but he is a nut):

Marchand -- Backes -- Pastrnak
Heinen -- Krejci -- Nash
Donato -- Nash -- Gionta
Schaller -- Kuraly -- Acciari/Wingels

Gotta say, I'm surprised that Boston signed him to a 2-year ELC and are going to burn a year. After next season we have the following players whose ELC's are going to expire...

McAvoy
Carlo
Donato
Heinen
JFK
Fitzgerald
Ceharlik
McIntyre
Mar. 19, 2018 at 8:14 a.m.
BreKel
Gotta say, I'm surprised that Boston signed him to a 2-year ELC and are going to burn a year. After next season we have the following players whose ELC's are going to expire...

McAvoy
Carlo
Donato
Heinen
JFK
Fitzgerald
Ceharlik
McIntyre

I guess the way to look at it is that Donato will have to have a monster season next year to get any type of serious increase. JFK also falls into that as well. Fitzgerald, Cehlarik, and McIntyre aren't going to command anything. McAvoy WILL get paid, and Heinen, if he follows this seaosn up with a similar season, will also get a sizeable increase. Carlo, I think he comes cheap, since he's not much of a point producer and that's what gets players paid.
Mar. 19, 2018 at 8:44 a.m.
I guess the way to look at it is that Donato will have to have a monster season next year to get any type of serious increase. JFK also falls into that as well. Fitzgerald, Cehlarik, and McIntyre aren't going to command anything. McAvoy WILL get paid, and Heinen, if he follows this seaosn up with a similar season, will also get a sizeable increase. Carlo, I think he comes cheap, since he's not much of a point producer and that's what gets players paid.

Even with all that, that 8 raises you're handing out to go against the cap.
Mar. 19, 2018 at 8:57 a.m.
BreKel
Even with all that, that 8 raises you're handing out to go against the cap.

Yes, but the cap is going up, players will be coming off their deals and will walk, and how much of a raise are some of these players really going to warrant?
Mar. 19, 2018 at 9:23 a.m.
Yes, but the cap is going up, players will be coming off their deals and will walk, and how much of a raise are some of these players really going to warrant?

Riley Nash - $900k
Sean Kuraly - $808k
Tim Schaller - $775K
Tommy WIngles - $750k
Noel Acciari - $750k
Brian Gionta - $700k
Zdeno Chara - $4 million
Adam McQuaid - $2.75 million
Matt Grzelcyk - $860k
Nick Holden - $1.65 million
Anton Khudobin - $1.2 million

In the next 2 years I see roughly $15 million coming off the books (not including all the ELC's). In total we have $61.5 million committed going into the 19-20 season. Say the cap goes up to $83 million over the next two seasons. Roughly $21.5 million in cap space.

Chara - at minimum gets what he's getting this year, maybe even closer to $5 million.

new space = $16.5 million

McAvoy - If he keep trending up like many expect, he'll be getting Pasta type money. Jones signed for $5.4 recently and with the cap going up, $6 to $6.5 might be on the low side

new space = $10 million

Carlo - Shouldn't break the bank unless he find a scoring touch his final year or becomes an elite shutdown d-man. Even still a conservative number is $3 million

new space = $7 million

So now we have $7 million to spend and the following still left to sign:

Donato
Heinen
JFK
Fitzgerald
Ceharlik
McIntyre

The one thing that would help Boston is Krejci & Backes both go from NMC's to M-NTC's and maybe you can move out one of them. The other option is where are guys like Vaak, Lauzon & Zboril at? If they are in NHL roles, maybe you move on from Krug as he'll be in the last year of his deal. There's options, but we can't keep everyone. That's part of the reason I think Sweeney is going to have to do something major here soon.
BreKel liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll