Forums/NHL

Worst and Best contracts in the NHL

Mar. 19, 2018 at 6:53 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Best: Kucherov maybe?
Worst: Seabrook maybe?
Mar. 20, 2018 at 11:46 a.m.
Below Market Value
Best include MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Bergeron, Marchand, Hall, Kucherov, Scheifele, Barkov.

Worst include Spezza, Seabrook, Parise, Johansen, Ryan, Phaneuf.
UpsideDownQue liked this.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 1:27 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Best include MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Bergeron, Marchand, Hall, Kucherov, Scheifele, Barkov.

Worst include Spezza, Seabrook, Parise, Johansen, Ryan, Phaneuf.

To add to this:

Best: Rakell, Klingberg, Jones, E Staal, Josi, Couts

Worst: Eriksson, Lucic, Laad, Brouwer, M Staal
Mar. 20, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
Best Value: Vanek, Gourde, W. Karlsson

Worst Value: Ryan
Mar. 20, 2018 at 3:33 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Biggest Bargains: Nikita Kucherov, Nathan MacKinnon, Blake Wheeler, John Klingberg, Shayne Gostisbehere, Andrei Vasilevskiy

Biggest Rip-Offs: Zach Parise, Bobby Ryan, David Backes, Dion Phaneuf, Brent Seabrook, Steve Mason
Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DavidBooth7
To add to this:

Best: Rakell, Klingberg, Jones, E Staal, Josi, Couts

Worst: Eriksson, Lucic, Laad, Brouwer, M Staal

Forgot about Staal

Edit: Eric Staal
Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:44 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Daryl
Biggest Bargains: Nikita Kucherov, Nathan MacKinnon, Blake Wheeler, John Klingberg, Shayne Gostisbehere, Andrei Vasilevskiy

Biggest Rip-Offs: Zach Parise, Bobby Ryan, David Backes, Dion Phaneuf, Brent Seabrook, Steve Mason

Mason's had injuries this year, he should be better next year.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:49 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Mason's had injuries this year, he should be better next year.

He’s be horrendous when healthy.
nobody liked this.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Best: Kucherov maybe?
Worst: Seabrook maybe?

How is Seabrook the worst contract? lol

He plays 20+ minutes a game and is still a #4... I could see his contract being one of the worst in the league in 3 years but not now.

Worst: Bobby Ryan
Best: Auston Matthews

If you want to exclude players on ELC's: Duncan Keith at 5.5 is a steal when you consider he plays 27 minutes a night... Few top 4 (let alone top 2) defenseman make less than 6 per.

Top players - star players - that signed long-term deals 4+ years ago are going to look like steals when the cap keeps increasing every year.....I mean soon enough your typical 3rd line player will be making 5 per..
Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:25 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: HawksFan28

He plays 20+ minutes a game and is still a #4... I could see his contract being one of the worst in the league in 3 years but not now.

If you want to exclude players on ELC's: Duncan Keith at 5.5 is a steal when you consider he plays 27 minutes a night... Few top 4 (let alone top 2) defenseman make less than 6 per.

Top players - star players - that signed long-term deals 4+ years ago are going to look like steals when the cap keeps increasing every year.....I mean soon enough your typical 3rd line player will be making 5 per..

Didn't think of ELCs ... but if they're allowed wouldn't it be McDavid? He's on his ELC. Now, sure, it won't be as good next year with all that money he'd be making, but right now, well ... you know what i'm saying. Seabrook's will be bad soon, and i'm talking about not just now but for the future. He's under contract for like, 6 years after this year. Soon, he'll be a 5/6/7 d-man making almost 7M.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:19 a.m.
Below Market Value

Paying $6.875 million for the next 6 years (4 of which have a NMC) for a 32 year old #4 defenseman who is declining sounds like a pretty terrible contract.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 12:06 p.m.
HawksFan28
Paying $6.875 million for the next 6 years (4 of which have a NMC) for a 32 year old #4 defenseman who is declining sounds like a pretty terrible contract.

Look at Seabrook's numbers... When Seabrook signed that contract he just got done putting up 49 points as a defenseman... He followed that up with 39 points last season.

I mean the notion that Seabrook was going to sign for anything less than what he did is insanity...

If Seabrook hit the UFA market he would have gotten 7.5 per easily...

The best part is Carlson is in the same position Seabrook was in then - Seabrook was just coming off of a better season... It will be interesting to see what he gets.

The truth is Seabrook's contract WILL BE bad in a few years but it's not presently...

And those criticizing the contract in hindsight would have given Seabrook that same deal at the time...

Please tell me what a 49 point season is worth as a defenseman? lol
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:07 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Look at Seabrook's numbers... When Seabrook signed that contract he just got done putting up 49 points as a defenseman... He followed that up with 39 points last season.

I mean the notion that Seabrook was going to sign for anything less than what he did is insanity...

The best part is Carlson is in the same position Seabrook was in then - Seabrook was just coming off of a better season... It will be interesting to see what he gets.

The truth is Seabrook's contract WILL BE bad in a few years but it's not presently...

And those criticizing the contract in hindsight would have given Seabrook that same deal at the time...

But it doesn't only have to be about his current cap hit. They didn't need to sign him for 7 years at that money ... and even right now he's not worth that much (compared to other NHL contracts). 2nd pairing d-men are good, but guys like Seabrook, a 2nd pairing d-man, get around 4M or maybe even less, not almost 7M.
DoctorBreakfast liked this.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:14 p.m.
Below Market Value

Just because he was worth his contract value when he signed it doesn't mean he's worth it now. You said so yourself that he's a #4 defenseman. In what world is paying a #4 defenseman almost $7 million for 6 years a good idea? Contracts are to be judged by AAV and how much term they have. The fact that he's got 6 more years left makes it a bad contract right here and now, especially when you can see his decline coming.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:18 p.m.
Oscar Klefbom also has a major steal of a contract. Likewise with Mattias Ekholm.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:21 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Just because he was worth his contract value when he signed it doesn't mean he's worth it now. You said so yourself that he's a #4 defenseman. In what world is paying a #4 defenseman almost $7 million for 6 years a good idea? Contracts are to be judged by AAV and how much term they have. The fact that he's got 6 more years left makes it a bad contract right here and now, especially when you can see his decline coming.

Yeah, even if we're not talking about the future and are only talking about now, it's still a bad contract right now.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:41 p.m.
HawksFan28

If Bowman didn't sign Seabrook you can bet some GM would have given Seabrook the exact same deal - if not more.

Do you really think if Seabrook hit the free market he would have sat there very long? hell no, he would have been the best defenseman to hit the UFA market in years. Teams would have fought one another to reel him in.

People totally forget about supply and demand and competition when it comes to contracts - especially UFA's..

And watch, John Carlson will sign somewhere for 7 years @ (at least) $6,500,000 per and no one will say a damn thing other than "eh, market value"...

And no, I didn't say Seabrook was overpaid now, I said er implied he will be overpaid MAYBE in a few years, but what were the Hawks supposed to do? let Seabrook walk for nothing? then what? I mean if Bowman did that the fans would immediately start comparing Rocky Wirtz with his father Bill - a guy that traded Roenick, Belfour and Chelios over $$$$... I mean the Hawks have spent the last 10 years trying to shed Wirtz's legacy of being cheap and a terrible owner....

So yea, I just don't see how Seabrook doesn't get the contract he did get.

But right now as I type this Seabrook is a legitimate top 4 defenseman getting paid top 4 money.....Top 2 defenseman should get 6.5-9 per and second paring (#3-4) should get 4-6.5 per, so Seabrook isn't overpaid as long as he's playing top 4 minutes and effective doing it..
Mar. 21, 2018 at 2:04 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
Ctrl+F "Price"

0 results...

guys.
wojme liked this.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 2:32 p.m.
Below Market Value
If Bowman didn't sign Seabrook you can bet some GM would have given Seabrook the exact same deal - if not more.

Do you really think if Seabrook hit the free market he would have sat there very long? hell no, he would have been the best defenseman to hit the UFA market in years. Teams would have fought one another to reel him in.

People totally forget about supply and demand and competition when it comes to contracts - especially UFA's..

And watch, John Carlson will sign somewhere for 7 years @ (at least) $6,500,000 per and no one will say a damn thing other than "eh, market value"...

And no, I didn't say Seabrook was overpaid now, I said er implied he will be overpaid MAYBE in a few years, but what were the Hawks supposed to do? let Seabrook walk for nothing? then what? I mean if Bowman did that the fans would immediately start comparing Rocky Wirtz with his father Bill - a guy that traded Roenick, Belfour and Chelios over $$$$... I mean the Hawks have spent the last 10 years trying to shed Wirtz's legacy of being cheap and a terrible owner....

So yea, I just don't see how Seabrook doesn't get the contract he did get.

But right now as I type this Seabrook is a legitimate top 4 defenseman getting paid top 4 money.....Top 2 defenseman should get 6.5-9 per and second paring (#3-4) should get 4-6.5 per, so Seabrook isn't overpaid as long as he's playing top 4 minutes and effective doing it..

And if another team had given him a bigger deal on the open market, it still would have been a bad contract. Just because Stan Bowman extended him before he could hit the open market doesn't mean it's not a bad contract.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 2:42 p.m.
HawksFan28
And if another team had given him a bigger deal on the open market, it still would have been a bad contract. Just because Stan Bowman extended him before he could hit the open market doesn't mean it's not a bad contract.

So any contract Seabrook signed would be a bad contract?

lol...

Seabrooks statistics dictated his contract... So are you saying most defenseman that score 49 points are worth 6.875 a year, but Seabrook is the exception? lol

The best part is that in 4-5 years with the ever rising salary cap a typical #5 veteran defenseman/bottom 6 veteran forward will be making 5 per ..
Mar. 21, 2018 at 3:07 p.m.
I can't do the entire NHL simply because I don't watch enough of other teams to justify values (outside of looking at stats), but for Boston:

Best: Brad Marchand - From last season to now only McDavid, Kucherov, Crosby & Malkin have more point.

Worst: David Krejci - IDK that I'd even call it a bad contract. He's slightly overpaid, but not by much. Thought about Backes, but part of his value is in his leadership and mentoring the younger players.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 3:19 p.m.
Below Market Value
So any contract Seabrook signed would be a bad contract?

lol...

Seabrooks statistics dictated his contract... So are you saying most defenseman that score 49 points are worth 6.875 a year, but Seabrook is the exception? lol

The best part is that in 4-5 years with the ever rising salary cap a typical #5 veteran defenseman/bottom 6 veteran forward will be making 5 per ..

You're the one that said he would've gotten a bigger contract if he went to open market, likely upwards of $7 million per year. So yes, that would've been a bad contract, especially if it were 6+ years.

Seabrook signed his new contract before his 49 point season, btw.

And where did I say that any other defenseman would be worth that kind of contract? I'm specifically talking about Seabrook; you're the one that brought up John Carlson. I'm most certainly not giving a 30 year old defenseman an 8 year contract, at almost $7 million per year, with a NMC in 6 of the 8 years.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 3:28 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

Carlson is having a much better season than Seabrook had in his contract year. He skates 25 minutes a night, contributes defensively as well, and is 1 point behind Klingberg for the most among dmen I believe. 49 points for Seabrook isn’t better than what Carlson has done this year.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 3:45 p.m.
HawksFan28
You're the one that said he would've gotten a bigger contract if he went to open market, likely upwards of $7 million per year. So yes, that would've been a bad contract, especially if it were 6+ years.

Seabrook signed his new contract before his 49 point season, btw.

And where did I say that any other defenseman would be worth that kind of contract? I'm specifically talking about Seabrook; you're the one that brought up John Carlson. I'm most certainly not giving a 30 year old defenseman an 8 year contract, at almost $7 million per year, with a NMC in 6 of the 8 years.

Seabrook may have gotten a larger contract..

Look, most people don't even know that Seabrook's actual salary this season is $9,000,000 so that shows just how much Bowman valued Seabrook and what he felt other GM's would offer.....

All I'm saying is Seabrook was a coveted defenseman. He's a leader and a top 2 defenseman on a 3-time Stanley Cup Champion, he won Olympic gold and is a consistent point getter so his resume is speaks for itself..... Teams would have been very interested....

Teams weren't going to kick the tires on Seabrook.

And John Carlson, well he's going to give some insight into what Seabrook may have got as a UFA.... Similar defenseman, Seabrook has the superior resume so..

I'm just saying is Seabrook as a player and his contract are nowhere near as bad as people portray.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 3:49 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: krakowitz
Carlson is having a much better season than Seabrook had in his contract year. He skates 25 minutes a night, contributes defensively as well, and is 1 point behind Klingberg for the most among dmen I believe. 49 points for Seabrook isn’t better than what Carlson has done this year.

So what, Seabrook was in his contract year when he signed is contract extension and Seabrook is was having a better year than Carlson is presently...

Carlson is in the same position Seabrook was in when Seabrook signed his contract and BOTH defenseman are similar so...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll