SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Worst and Best contracts in the NHL

Mar. 21, 2018 at 3:52 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: HawksFan28
Seabrook may have gotten a larger contract..

Look, most people don't even know that Seabrook's actual salary this season is $9,000,000 so that shows just how much Bowman valued Seabrook and what he felt other GM's would offer.....

All I'm saying is Seabrook was a coveted defenseman. He's a leader and a top 2 defenseman on a 3-time Stanley Cup Champion, he won Olympic gold and is a consistent point getter so his resume is speaks for itself..... Teams would have been very interested....

Teams weren't going to kick the tires on Seabrook.

And John Carlson, well he's going to give some insight into what Seabrook may have got as a UFA.... Similar defenseman, Seabrook has the superior resume so..

I'm just saying is Seabrook as a player and his contract are nowhere near as bad as people portray.

As a player? I agree, he's not as bad as people say. But the contract is definitely terrible.
Daryl and rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 4:02 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
As a player? I agree, he's not as bad as people say. But the contract is definitely terrible.

I think his cap hit for right now is on par with being a top 4, perhaps a million high - I think $5.875 right now, presently would be adequate...

Down the road if Seabrook significantly regresses then absolutely it will be a terrible last few years, however presently It's not all that bad.

Also, Seabrook's contract if front loaded, so if Bowman wants to dump him in the future it will be much easier considering he will be making less than what his cap hit says on paper.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 4:40 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: HawksFan28
I think his cap hit for right now is on par with being a top 4, perhaps a million high - I think $5.875 right now, presently would be adequate...

Down the road if Seabrook significantly regresses then absolutely it will be a terrible last few years, however presently It's not all that bad.

Also, Seabrook's contract if front loaded, so if Bowman wants to dump him in the future it will be much easier considering he will be making less than what his cap hit says on paper.

Let's also say that points aren't gonna say everything about how good a d-man is. So just because he was getting points doesn't mean he's as good defensively as some d-men are. Even at the time of the contract it was bad (not terrible, just not great) ... now it's worse ... and in a few years it will be even worse than it is now. My question was not only about currently, it's about contracts like Seabrook's too because it's taking up a top of cap space for years, and soon he will be a bottom pairing d-man if not a 7th d-man.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 4:46 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Let's also say that points aren't gonna say everything about how good a d-man is. So just because he was getting points doesn't mean he's as good defensively as some d-men are. Even at the time of the contract it was bad (not terrible, just not great) ... now it's worse ... and in a few years it will be even worse than it is now. My question was not only about currently, it's about contracts like Seabrook's too because it's taking up a top of cap space for years, and soon he will be a bottom pairing d-man if not a 7th d-man.

You have a point. Jake Gardiner is great for points (especially last year) but he's a liability elsewhere lol. Seabrook on the other hand is a a reliable player, and as @HawksFan28 was saying he is a good player right now, in the long run however his contract will hurt the Blackhawks and handcuff their management.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 4:58 p.m.
Buchnevesey
Brendan Smith’s is pretty bad considering he’s not even playing in the nhl
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 9:13 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: Daryl
You have a point. Jake Gardiner is great for points (especially last year) but he's a liability elsewhere lol. Seabrook on the other hand is a a reliable player, and as @HawksFan28 was saying he is a good player right now, in the long run however his contract will hurt the Blackhawks and handcuff their management.

I don't foresee Seabrook's contract handcuffing Bowman with the cap going up basically every season. Obviously the cap space could be used more wisely however it's not like he's making 10 million a season... It's a pain in the ass but that's about it. It's not going be a contract that prevents Bowman from retaining guys like DeBincat or Schmaltz or interfere with him signing depth UFA's.. I mean Bowman will have plenty of cap space this summer so.

It is what it is.. We'll see how Seabrook works out moving forward.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll