SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Ottawa Senators

MelnykOut adds ... makes no sense

Mar. 20, 2018 at 12:36 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
All these adds on billboards in Ottawa ... ridiculous IMO.
Mar. 22, 2018 at 1:44 a.m.
I'm wondering why you think that. Fans are rightfully infuriated at Melnyk for many reasons.
athrin liked this.
Mar. 22, 2018 at 1:13 p.m.
Quoting: DavidBooth7
I'm wondering why you think that. Fans are rightfully infuriated at Melnyk for many reasons.

I honestly feel they are going about it the wrong way though. Melnyk is the owner. The fans do not have a say in this. Its either have the Ottawa team with Melnyk included or don't have a team. I think their protest is mis-aimed.

They shouldn't be advertising to get #Melnykout. This is simply encouraging him to move the team somewhere else in spite.
They should be advertising #MelnykselltheteamtosomeoneelseinOttawa That is really what they want is it not?
nobody liked this.
Mar. 22, 2018 at 1:44 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
I honestly feel they are going about it the wrong way though. Melnyk is the owner. The fans do not have a say in this. Its either have the Ottawa team with Melnyk included or don't have a team. I think their protest is mis-aimed.

They shouldn't be advertising to get #Melnykout. This is simply encouraging him to move the team somewhere else in spite.
They should be advertising #MelnykselltheteamtosomeoneelseinOttawa That is really what they want is it not?

That is one long hashtag tho laugh

Your point is valid though. I guess that’s what happens when you get seriously frsuterated. In Vancouver, we rioted. In Toronto, they threw poor Phil’s jersey onto the ice over and over again. Neither helped either team gain respect from the rest of the league...I guess MelnykOut is in a similar boat in that regard
Mar. 22, 2018 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: DavidBooth7
That is one long hashtag tho laugh

Your point is valid though. I guess that’s what happens when you get seriously frsuterated. In Vancouver, we rioted. In Toronto, they threw poor Phil’s jersey onto the ice over and over again. Neither helped either team gain respect from the rest of the league...I guess MelnykOut is in a similar boat in that regard

Yup all mis-aimed frustration. As for the hashtag, yeah something else could work. Im sure someone think of something more catchy than mine. Sticking Out Tongue
nobody liked this.
Mar. 22, 2018 at 2:10 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I actually feel like it's kinda mean to tell the truth. They don't need to advertise it all around the city like that.
Mar. 22, 2018 at 4:40 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I actually feel like it's kinda mean to tell the truth. They don't need to advertise it all around the city like that.
"It's kinda mean to tell the truth"? Oh, nooooo, won't somebody think of the poor millionaire's feelings? How could we offend Eugene's sensibilities like that?

If nobody tells the truth, the status quo remains, and Melnyk continues running the team into the ground.
Buchnevesey liked this.
Mar. 26, 2018 at 12:31 p.m.
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
"It's kinda mean to tell the truth"? Oh, nooooo, won't somebody think of the poor millionaire's feelings? How could we offend Eugene's sensibilities like that?

If nobody tells the truth, the status quo remains, and Melnyk continues running the team into the ground.

In all fairness though, the team may only still be in Ottawa because of him..that team has gone through some tough times in a market that isn't exactly the strongest... Its not like we're talking about a GM or a coach (employees who can be fired). The guy owns the team. He's made a shi**show of it but then again, that's his prerogative.

This isn't politics where you have to stand up for what you believe in to get change. This is business and the people putting up these billboards are a detriment to what they really want. These billboards are only making him want to move the team somewhere else......... If that happens, the status quo won't remain. There won't be a team for it to remain.

You don't have to worry about his feelings but you do have to worry about his motives if the team continues to hemorrhage money. Maybe he sells to the highest bidder instead of a buyer who wants to keep the team in Ottawa....

Like I've said above, the disgruntled fans are going about this wrong way. They are right, but they're still going about it the wrong way.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 26, 2018 at 4:40 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
In all fairness though, the team may only still be in Ottawa because of him..that team has gone through some tough times in a market that isn't exactly the strongest... Its not like we're talking about a GM or a coach (employees who can be fired). The guy owns the team. He's made a shi**show of it but then again, that's his prerogative.

This isn't politics where you have to stand up for what you believe in to get change. This is business and the people putting up these billboards are a detriment to what they really want. These billboards are only making him want to move the team somewhere else......... If that happens, the status quo won't remain. There won't be a team for it to remain.

You don't have to worry about his feelings but you do have to worry about his motives if the team continues to hemorrhage money. Maybe he sells to the highest bidder instead of a buyer who wants to keep the team in Ottawa....

Like I've said above, the disgruntled fans are going about this wrong way. They are right, but they're still going about it the wrong way.
Any new buyer of a team has to agree to keep the franchise in town for 7 years; Tom Dundon had to agree to that when he bought the Hurricanes, and that is a league-standard clause for NHL purchasing agreements, according to Frank Seravalli. (The league doesn't *like* relocating franchises; it makes them look like chumps who can't run a sports league.) So there's a win-win scenario where Melnyk gets booted, and the new owner(s) can actually run the team properly without the Senators leaving Ottawa. In that case, I say absolutely speak out.
Mar. 26, 2018 at 4:45 p.m.
Any new buyer of a team has to agree to keep the franchise in town for 7 years; Tom Dundon had to agree to that when he bought the Hurricanes, and I presume that that's league standard. (The league doesn't *like* relocating franchises; it makes them look like chumps who can't run a sports league.) So there's a win-win scenario where Melnyk gets booted, and the new owner(s) can actually run the team properly without the Senators leaving Ottawa. In that case, I say absolutely speak out.

Why was this not the case in Atlanta? Why is there even talk of maybe moving the Ottawa team "somewhere else" if there is rule put into place to specifically hinder this? What are Melnyk and Cherry even talking about if the team can't be moved?
Mar. 26, 2018 at 4:50 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Why was this not the case in Atlanta? Why is there even talk of maybe moving the Ottawa team "somewhere else" if there is rule put into place to specifically hinder this? What are Melnyk and Cherry even talking about if the team can't be moved?
For Atlanta, this clause may have been instituted after the 2012-13 lockout. Personally, I would call any threats of relocation posturing to get a better arena deal and/or blatant extortion. Here's the Seravalli tweet I referenced:

Mar. 26, 2018 at 5:21 p.m.
For Atlanta, this clause may have been instituted after the 2012-13 lockout. Personally, I would call any threats of relocation posturing to get a better arena deal and/or blatant extortion. Here's the Seravalli tweet I referenced:

Hmm good to know. I wasn't aware of this. If that's the case then Melnyk's threats should be taken with a grain of salt. There is nothing really he can do other than continue to hamper the team!

Knowing this now, I'd say that that the fans methods are still misguided though. Although they have a little more say in it then originally thought, I'd still ere on the side of convincing him to sell/move aside rather then publicly humiliating him to, essentially.

Regardless of what my method of going about it is, the situation in Ottawa is getting rotten. Makes the farce that is the Habs management seem less pitiful. laugh
May 8, 2018 at 2:07 p.m.
Melnyk's comments were stupid and ill advised. All he managed to do was inflame his existing fan base and embarrass the whole organization.
He needed to have a closed door meeting with his marketing department and ask them why they are unable to fill the stands.
If he doesn't have a strong marketing department then he needs to look in the mirror.

Only after discovering the causes of a small fan base can you hope to correct the problem.
The only thing worse than having a poor NHL team is having one that can't afford to get better.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll