SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Vancouver Canucks

What is Chris Tanev’s Trade Value?

Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Hello Canucks fans, for the past while C. Tanev rumours have gone around. The Leafs have regularly been one of the teams connected to him as well. I want to hear from you guys what you think Tanev is worth in a potential trade (no bias evaluations allowed Sticking Out Tongue).
Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:13 a.m.
Quoting: Daryl
Hello Canucks fans, for the past while C. Tanev rumours have gone around. The Leafs have regularly been one of the teams connected to him as well. I want to hear from you guys what you think Tanev is worth in a potential trade (no bias evaluations allowed Sticking Out Tongue).

Hi, here's my biased evaluation:

Tanev is good. No secret. When healthy, he's a strong top pairing, shutdown defenceman. Roll him against other teams top lines. Roll him when you're defending a one goal lead with two minutes to go. He's the guy you can always trust to make smart, sound, and reliable defensive plays.

Notice I said when healthy. It's also no secret that Tanev has had lots of injury issues, especially this year. That takes a dip into his value. The other thing about him, is he isn't anything offensive or flashy. But, that's not what he's known for anyways.

At the draft last year, there was a strong rumour that Dallas had a deal lined up for Tanev, straight up for the third overall selection. Some Vancouver media even reported it was #3OA + a 2nd rounder. The deal, however and obviously, never took place.

Many Vancouver folks, ranging from fans to media, have varying ideas on what an ideal return would be. A lot of these returns have Tanev heading to Toronto. They range from Connor Brown straight up, all the way to 2018 1st + 2019 2nd + Liljidgren.

What would I want? I'm a big fan of Liljidgren so I'd love to see him in a return for Tanev. I'd be pleased with Liljidgren + 2019 2nd, fully knowing that would never happen though (some solid Vancouver media also believe this would be an ideal and awesome return).

What's more fair-ish? If it involved Liljidgren, probably straight up, or say add a piece like Leivo or some prospect. Kapanen + pick is another deal that's been talked about. As far as picks only go, a 2018 1st would have to be involved, and then there would probably need to be another 2nd added on, 2018 or 2019, as a base.

Knowing Vancouver management, none of the above will happen. I'll be surprised if they even ask Tanev to waive his NTC, let alone trade him. If management trades him, they're probably going to do something like 2019 2nd + Leivo for him or some other garbage return.

PS: Take my word for it, as I don't think anyone else even bothers checking on the Canucks forum. It's a sad and lonely place all the way down here. I had plans to help get this forum going...but then... {Level 5 Infraction. Goodbye} laugh
Daryl liked this.
Mar. 22, 2018 at 4:36 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: DavidBooth7
Hi, here's my biased evaluation:

Tanev is good. No secret. When healthy, he's a strong top pairing, shutdown defenceman. Roll him against other teams top lines. Roll him when you're defending a one goal lead with two minutes to go. He's the guy you can always trust to make smart, sound, and reliable defensive plays.

Notice I said when healthy. It's also no secret that Tanev has had lots of injury issues, especially this year. That takes a dip into his value. The other thing about him, is he isn't anything offensive or flashy. But, that's not what he's known for anyways.

At the draft last year, there was a strong rumour that Dallas had a deal lined up for Tanev, straight up for the third overall selection. Some Vancouver media even reported it was #3OA + a 2nd rounder. The deal, however and obviously, never took place.

Many Vancouver folks, ranging from fans to media, have varying ideas on what an ideal return would be. A lot of these returns have Tanev heading to Toronto. They range from Connor Brown straight up, all the way to 2018 1st + 2019 2nd + Liljidgren.

What would I want? I'm a big fan of Liljidgren so I'd love to see him in a return for Tanev. I'd be pleased with Liljidgren + 2019 2nd, fully knowing that would never happen though (some solid Vancouver media also believe this would be an ideal and awesome return).

What's more fair-ish? If it involved Liljidgren, probably straight up, or say add a piece like Leivo or some prospect. Kapanen + pick is another deal that's been talked about. As far as picks only go, a 2018 1st would have to be involved, and then there would probably need to be another 2nd added on, 2018 or 2019, as a base.

Knowing Vancouver management, none of the above will happen. I'll be surprised if they even ask Tanev to waive his NTC, let alone trade him. If management trades him, they're probably going to do something like 2019 2nd + Leivo for him or some other garbage return.

PS: Take my word for it, as I don't think anyone else even bothers checking on the Canucks forum. It's a sad and lonely place all the way down here. I had plans to help get this forum going...but then... {Level 5 Infraction. Goodbye} laugh

If that's his price I hope the Leafs never go after him. I don't think Lou is desperate enough to sacrifice Liljegren anyways, he's always been a patient GM who prefers to wait for guys to develop than to pull of major trades
Mar. 22, 2018 at 8:09 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
If you go by this site, about the only team this the Canucks trade Tanev is to the Leafs. I sure would like to see offer fair offers for other rosters.
IMO the Leafs aren't giving up significant youth for Tanev. And next year, Tanev replaces the Carrick/Polak as one of the Leafs RHD. Really hardly game changing. Some Leafs think their defensemen are terrible, and certainly many fan bases think the Leafs are just terrible defensively. If true, I don't see how the Leafs are 12th in GAA. And it can't all be Andersen as Mcillerney as better numbers (if that means anything).
No, the Canucks can keep Elder, Tanev, Gudbranson as their veteran leaders on defence. Where has it got them?
Daryl liked this.
Mar. 23, 2018 at 5:58 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
No, the Canucks can keep Elder, Tanev, Gudbranson as their veteran leaders on defence. Where has it got them?

No need to pour salt, in a very, very open wound Sticking Out Tongue
Daryl liked this.
Mar. 23, 2018 at 6:29 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
No need to pour salt, in a very, very open wound Sticking Out Tongue

Sorry, David. It wasn't meant to be hurtful to true fans. But all these trades of Tanev, Weber, OEL almost exclusively to the Leafs are generally poor value to the Leafs. Make a really bad trade, a open would and salt just might be an appropriate punishment.
Kinda strange last night in Nashville. Leafs beat Nashville....easily. Polak is playing so well, maybe he gets extensionunsure
nobody liked this.
Mar. 23, 2018 at 6:48 p.m.
Sorry, David. It wasn't meant to be hurtful to true fans. But all these trades of Tanev, Weber, OEL almost exclusively to the Leafs are generally poor value to the Leafs. Make a really bad trade, a open would and salt just might be an appropriate punishment.
Kinda strange last night in Nashville. Leafs beat Nashville....easily. Polak is playing so well, maybe he gets extensionunsure

That's true. I guess the main reason for all the Tanev to Toronto rumours, is we can't think of a better fit for him. Where else is a possible destination. Edmonton? Maybe, but I don't think God even knows what Chiarelli is doing anymore Florida? Probably wouldn't pay up young commodities we need. Vegas? McPhee would fleece the life out of Benning. All in all, while Toronto is also highly unlikely, it seems like a more appropriate fit compared to other teams, hence all the rumours.

As for your comment, it's not like you're wrong. It hasn't gotten us anywhere. Benning and Linden don't have the confidence or whatever it is to shake it up though. Otherwise they wouldn't have re-signed a guy with some of the worst possesion numbers in the league to a $4M contract in March knowing he needed shoulder surgery in January neutral

And who is proposing the Weber to Toronto rumours lmao? And more importantly, are they okay...
Mar. 23, 2018 at 10:40 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
And who is proposing the Weber to Toronto rumours lmao? And more importantly, are they okay...[/quote]

Haven't seen the many Weber trades for a while but they were numerous in December/January. No they weren't OK. And almost all were for Liljegren, Kapanen two first rounders (or something similar).....meaning no cap back to Montreal. So many were from Habs fans Heck who do the Leafs want to take a 7.8m Dman with a 8 full years on his contract. Just overpay a UFA and the Leafs would be better and keep all those young assets.
Same with OEL trades 90% to the Leafs. Why? And usually stripping the Leafs of three good futures.
Daryl and nobody liked this.
Mar. 24, 2018 at 8:48 a.m.
get ur corsi up
That's true. I guess the main reason for all the Tanev to Toronto rumours, is we can't think of a better fit for him. Where else is a possible destination. Edmonton? Maybe, but I don't think God even knows what Chiarelli is doing anymore Florida? Probably wouldn't pay up young commodities we need. Vegas? McPhee would fleece the life out of Benning. All in all, while Toronto is also highly unlikely, it seems like a more appropriate fit compared to other teams, hence all the rumours.

As for your comment, it's not like you're wrong. It hasn't gotten us anywhere. Benning and Linden don't have the confidence or whatever it is to shake it up though. Otherwise they wouldn't have re-signed a guy with some of the worst possesion numbers in the league to a $4M contract in March knowing he needed shoulder surgery in January neutral

And who is proposing the Weber to Toronto rumours lmao? And more importantly, are they okay...

The Armchair Leafs teams are the dark side of CapFriendly Booth, lol.
nobody liked this.
Mar. 24, 2018 at 11:54 a.m.

Canucks still have their bad share. I remember seeing someone once trade Sutter + 2020 1st for MacKinnon in about 10 different teams they made.

For me, the most hilarious thing I see on Canuck armchairs, is signing every top UFA to a low ball contract, with the title "I Completed The Re-Build!"
Mar. 24, 2018 at 12:04 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Canucks still have their bad share. I remember seeing someone once trade Sutter + 2020 1st for MacKinnon in about 10 different teams they made.

For me, the most hilarious thing I see on Canuck armchairs, is signing every top UFA to a low ball contract, with the title "I Completed The Re-Build!"

Some fans are so bias it isn’t even funny lol.
Mar. 24, 2018 at 5:53 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Some fans are so bias it isn’t even funny lol.

Sometimes I don't think it's bias, it's just not realizing the needs of the "other team". In so many trades to the Leafs, it's trades for short term Dmen for key pieces of the Leafs futures. As a Leaf fan I know the Leafs would like to improve on defence, but as the 11th rated GAA, the Leafs aren't. THAT desperate.
Daryl liked this.
Mar. 24, 2018 at 6:23 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Sometimes I don't think it's bias, it's just not realizing the needs of the "other team". In so many trades to the Leafs, it's trades for short term Dmen for key pieces of the Leafs futures. As a Leaf fan I know the Leafs would like to improve on defence, but as the 11th rated GAA, the Leafs aren't. THAT desperate.

The Leafs defense really isn't that bad to though. Sure Gardiner is questionable at times, and our depth on the right side is lacking, but people make Toronto's blue line seem like it's a bunch of pylons which is nowhere near correct.
Mar. 26, 2018 at 9:32 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG

Tanev's value right now is probably as low as it has ever been. He is currently sidelined with his fifth injury of the season

When he is healthy he is a decent top pairing or amazing second pairing d-man. The issue is he is not good at staying healthy.

If I were the Canucks GM right now, I would probably take a 1st round pick and a decent prospect or two for him.

From Toronto maybe 2018 1st, Jesper Lindgren and Andrew Nielsen.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 3:17 a.m.
Quoting: TonyStrecher
Tanev's value right now is probably as low as it has ever been. He is currently sidelined with his fifth injury of the season

When he is healthy he is a decent top pairing or amazing second pairing d-man. The issue is he is not good at staying healthy.

If I were the Canucks GM right now, I would probably take a 1st round pick and a decent prospect or two for him.

From Toronto maybe 2018 1st, Jesper Lindgren and Andrew Nielsen.

I think a lot of it is bad luck as well as poor Canucks medical staff. Just referencing his latest injury:

On a team that's already eliminated from the playoffs, and has no further point in playing to be fair, why on earth would you send the injury prone defender, who as you say Harrison has had many injuries this season, back onto the ice to finish the game? And then it's no surprise he could barely walk. It's also no surprise that two days later...

He's probably would have been shut down regardless of whether he returned to that game or not. But why would you even let him go back out to play?

The Canucks medical staff is seriously suspect. When Boeser was laying lifelessly on the ice, with a clearly broken tailbone, they made him skate to the room instead of getting him stretcher. Whenever a player gets injured, we see them return to the game, only then to find out afterwards that they're going to be out for 4-6 weeks. Heck they knew Gudbranson needed shoulder surgery in what January? And yet not only did they continue to play him, but even signed him to a 3 year extension.

While Tanev has dealt with a lot of injuries, and there's no denying that's had a hit on his value, some of it may be sheer bad luck. You've kinda have to feel bad for the guy for having to deal with all this. Hopefully he'll manage to stay healthy next season.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:10 p.m.

This one’s for you and @palhal. Enjoy boys

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/129858
Apr. 27, 2018 at 6:34 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: MrBooth
This one’s for you and @palhal. Enjoy boys

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/129858

Your missing a Drew Doughty trade, lol.
nobody liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options: