Forums/Armchair-GM

Tavares 19-20

Created by: T_Bone_21
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 21, 2018
Published: Mar. 21, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This would be year 2 with JT after the Matthews, Marner, Kapanen raises have kicked in. The cap has risen to 83M, could be a bit less but there is still 4M on the board with LTIR, not including a pending bonus charge which shouldn't be much if they manage it correctly in 2019

It's do-able if these young defencemen pan out. Can still obtain another top 4 defenceman if they can get Marleau to agree to be traded. He'll only be due 1M in base salary by July 2019
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
5$6,500,000
2$900,000
2$1,450,000
2$1,000,000
7$10,500,000
7$7,000,000
2$2,250,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
2$1,350,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$10,500,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$73,951,666$0$400,000$9,048,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW, RW
RFA
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 21, 2018 at 11:29 a.m.
I can't help but feel that this is setting the Leafs up for a cap tsunami, but I sure wouldn't want to face that roster. Wow. I guess I could imagine JT coming home for $10.5 x 8.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 11:45 a.m.
Sens4life
Andddddd your defense is still trash!
IAMAHOCKEYPLAYER69 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 12:03 p.m.
I would accept future cap hell if it lands a cup or 3 like Chicago's model.

That lineup looks pretty strong up and down and, I agree, success likely rides on the young d-core playing at least at an average rate.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 12:41 p.m.
Buds all day
Quoting: Sens4life
Andddddd your defense is still trash!

Yes...if the leafs added an elite centre and one of the best UFAs of the decade they would obviously be icing an offense first team...and yes our average D most likely wouldn't be getting any better

But you know what they say...the best defence is a good offense
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:02 p.m.
HawksFan28
C'mon man.....

Both Marner and Nylander are going to ask for Draisaitl $$$$$$, there is just no way around that... That's who their agents are going to compare them to and they wouldn't be off doing it either...

There is no way the Leafs can sign Tavares and still keep all three of Matthews, Marner and Nylander.. Obviously Matthews is going nowhere so Marner or Nylander would have to go... Sorry but you cant have your cake and eat it too.

However with all that said it may not be a bad idea signing Tavares and then trading one of Marner or Nylander.... I mean Lou could get a pretty good package for either and the Leafs could use a stud defenseman - a future anchor of the blue line and/or a PP QB.. But there is no way the Leafs can retain Tavares, Matthews, Marner & Nylander - that's just not going to happen...
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:26 p.m.
T-Bone
Quoting: HawksFan28
C'mon man.....

Both Marner and Nylander are going to ask for Draisaitl $$$$$$, there is just no way around that... That's who their agents are going to compare them to and they wouldn't be off doing it either...

There is no way the Leafs can sign Tavares and still keep all three of Matthews, Marner and Nylander.. Obviously Matthews is going nowhere so Marner or Nylander would have to go... Sorry but you cant have your cake and eat it too.

However with all that said it may not be a bad idea signing Tavares and then trading one of Marner or Nylander.... I mean Lou could get a pretty good package for either and the Leafs could use a stud defenseman - a future anchor of the blue line and/or a PP QB.. But there is no way the Leafs can retain Tavares, Matthews, Marner & Nylander - that's just not going to happen...

They can ask for Draisaitl money all they want but it doesn't mean they're going to get it. Chiarelli blew it giving him that contract, that was the highest 2nd contract in NHL history if you don't include McDavid

Pastrnak just got 6 years 6.7M. Ehlers got 7 years, 6.0M

Just cause one bad GM did it, doesn't mean the Leafs are going to. Marner and Nylander combining for somewhere around 14 is very realistic
Erude91 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:29 p.m.
C'mon man.....

hahahah.
So definitive.
Closed book.
Marner and Nylander will be at $8.5m.
End stop.

Don't factor in other variables or comparisons as that would detract from the confidence your post was backed with.

What about Pastrnak? He's a winger and younger than Draisaitl but he's put up better numbers than him. Why did he get $6.7 and Leon got $8.5? Does Edmonton need to pay more because players don't view it as a preffered City/Team? GM/Agent negotiations? Centre vs Winger? Maybe Leon is simply greedier and cares more about getting his paycheque vs. team goals.

The cap is supposed to go up in the next few years. Are players confident in their abilities and willing to do a shorter term bridge to get bigger dollars 2-3 years from now?

The point is you have no clue so stop offering opinions as fact. The contracts suggested by the original poster are fair guesses and all your reply does it make you look like a jerk.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.
T-Bone
Quoting: JimCarrey
Yes...if the leafs added an elite centre and one of the best UFAs of the decade they would obviously be icing an offense first team...and yes our average D most likely wouldn't be getting any better

But you know what they say...the best defence is a good offense

I agree. Also have to account that Rielly is 24 and Dermott is 21 right now. So add two more years of experience to them, as well as upward-projection growth to Borgman and Zaitsev. And Timmy Liljegren is a very highly touted player, he could be a top 4 defenceman for sure. No one knows the ceiling for him yet
JimCarrey liked this.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:49 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: T_Bone_21
They can ask for Draisaitl money all they want but it doesn't mean they're going to get it. Chiarelli blew it giving him that contract, that was the highest 2nd contract in NHL history if you don't include McDavid

Just cause one bad GM did it, doesn't mean the Leafs are going to. Marner and Nylander combining for somewhere around 14 is very realistic

I find it adorable Leafs fans think they're going to get BOTH Marner and Nylander on the cheap because you know it's the "center of the hockey universe" and players are satisfied with whatever they get.. LOL

Yea, you sign Tavares and watch Nylander or Marner get offer-sheets at 7.5 per......

I mean you do realize they will each get at least 7.5 per right? Because anything less than $7,851,948 the only compensation Toronto gets is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks from the team signing them and I think there would be MANY teams willing to give up a 1st, 2nd & 3rd for either of them...

So you can absolutely bet they will get 7.5 each because if Toronto doesn't make them that offer some team gladly will.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 1:57 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: Juice
hahahah.
So definitive.
Closed book.
Marner and Nylander will be at $8.5m.
End stop.

Don't factor in other variables or comparisons as that would detract from the confidence your post was backed with.

What about Pastrnak? He's a winger and younger than Draisaitl but he's put up better numbers than him. Why did he get $6.7 and Leon got $8.5? Does Edmonton need to pay more because players don't view it as a preffered City/Team? GM/Agent negotiations? Centre vs Winger? Maybe Leon is simply greedier and cares more about getting his paycheque vs. team goals.

The cap is supposed to go up in the next few years. Are players confident in their abilities and willing to do a shorter term bridge to get bigger dollars 2-3 years from now?

The point is you have no clue so stop offering opinions as fact. The contracts suggested by the original poster are fair guesses and all your reply does it make you look like a jerk.

Dude, the RFA compensation alone would dictate they will at least make this: $7,851,948

Anything less than that the compensation is only a 1st, 2nd & 3rd round pick(s)..... And absolutely I see teams willing to give up those picks to sign Marner or Nylander..

So yes Marner & Nylander will get at the very least $7,851,948, and who knows, it will probably be more considering the cap is going up and when that happens RFA compensation goes up as well so it will probably be AT LEAST $8,000,000 next season.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 3:36 p.m.
Dude, the RFA compensation alone would dictate they will at least make this: $7,851,948

Anything less than that the compensation is only a 1st, 2nd & 3rd round pick(s)..... And absolutely I see teams willing to give up those picks to sign Marner or Nylander..

So yes Marner & Nylander will get at the very least $7,851,948, and who knows, it will probably be more considering the cap is going up and when that happens RFA compensation goes up as well so it will probably be AT LEAST $8,000,000 next season.

Again....is that possible? Sure. Is that set in stone? RFA compensation is not the benchmark for teams signing RFAs.

Player: Panerin
Pedigree: Calder cup winner and top in his RFA class.
Contract: 2yrs, 6m per
Offer sheets: 0

Player: Granlund
Pedigree: 2017 Lady Byng finalist. Top four in goals, assists, points and plus/minus among 2017 RFA class.
Contract: 3yrs, $5.75m per
Offer Sheets: 0

Player: Pastrnak
Pedigree: 34 goal, 70 pt season heading into RFA renewal
Contract: 6yrs, $6.67m per

Player: Ryan Johannsen
Pedigree: 4 straight 60pt seasons
Contract: 8yrs, $8m per

Player: Bo Horvat
Pedigree: All star and #1 C for the nucks
Contract: 6yrs, 5.5 per

Should I keep going? Kuznetsov, Parayko, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Arvidson, Draisaitl, McDavid....0 offer sheets.

It seems the only 2nd contracts that go over the $7m mark are held by #1 centres
Mar. 21, 2018 at 3:56 p.m.
HawksFan28
Again....is that possible? Sure. Is that set in stone? RFA compensation is not the benchmark for teams signing RFAs.

Player: Panerin
Pedigree: Calder cup winner and top in his RFA class.
Contract: 2yrs, 6m per
Offer sheets: 0

Player: Granlund
Pedigree: 2017 Lady Byng finalist. Top four in goals, assists, points and plus/minus among 2017 RFA class.
Contract: 3yrs, $5.75m per

Player: Pastrnak
Pedigree: 34 goal, 70 pt season heading into RFA renewal
Contract: 6yrs, $6.67m per

Player: Ryan Johannsen
Pedigree: 4 straight 60pt seasons
Contract: 8yrs, $8m per

Player: Bo Horvat
Pedigree: All star and #1 C for the nucks
Contract: 6yrs, 5.5 per

Should I keep going? Kuznetsov, Parayko, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Arvidson, Draisaitl, McDavid....0 offer sheets.

It seems the only 2nd contracts that go over the $7m mark are held by #1 centres

Yea, that's because those guys signed extensions way before they COULD be offersheeted, lol...

And the extensions they signed were right on the barrier/border where the compensation becomes a 1st & 3rd or 1st, 2nd & 3rd.
Mar. 22, 2018 at 9:26 a.m.
Yea, that's because those guys signed extensions way before they COULD be offersheeted, lol...

And the extensions they signed were right on the barrier/border where the compensation becomes a 1st & 3rd or 1st, 2nd & 3rd.

You make a lot of assumptions when claiming "facts". Amongst other things, you assume the Leafs will wait until offer sheets are possible before starting negotiations, and that players and their agents are so stupid that they sign those offers without realizing they could refuse to sign until some offer sheets come along. While I'd love to see more teams offer sheet RFA's the fact is it isn't a big part of the game and isn't used as a measure for what a contract value will be
Mar. 22, 2018 at 3:18 p.m.
HawksFan28
You make a lot of assumptions when claiming "facts". Amongst other things, you assume the Leafs will wait until offer sheets are possible before starting negotiations, and that players and their agents are so stupid that they sign those offers without realizing they could refuse to sign until some offer sheets come along. While I'd love to see more teams offer sheet RFA's the fact is it isn't a big part of the game and isn't used as a measure for what a contract value will be

This all depends on what he Leafs offer Nylander..You're basically trying to make it sound like "he gets what he gets, he should just be happy playing in Toronto"..

This is a business and players - especially good young players - will want to get paid their fair market value and you're going to realize that soon enough......Look, Nylander should have signed his extension months ago and if I was a Leafs fan I would start to speculate as to why that hasn't happened..

The notion that Nylander will just sign for whatever he's offered is kinda conceited IMO.

At any rate Nylander can start signing offer-sheets come July 1st if that's the route Nylanders camp wants to take in an attempt to get fair market value.

I will say this much - the more time that passes without an extension the more concerned you should be.

At the same time tho, I think many players are holding off from signing extensions because they want to see just how much the salary cap is going up, because I'm sure they want to squeeze as much coin out of their teams as possible. lol.... And that's another reason why I think Nylander is getting Draisaitl money - because the cap is going up.
Mar. 22, 2018 at 3:38 p.m.
This all depends on what he Leafs offer Nylander..You're basically trying to make it sound like "he gets what he gets, he should just be happy playing in Toronto"..

This is a business and players - especially good young players - will want to get paid their fair market value and you're going to realize that soon enough......Look, Nylander should have signed his extension months ago and if I was a Leafs fan I would start to speculate as to why that hasn't happened..

The notion that Nylander will just sign for whatever he's offered is kinda conceited IMO.

Any any rate Nylander can start signing offer-sheets come July 1st if that's the route Nylanders camp want's to go.

I will say this much - the more time that passes without an extension the more concerned you should be.

At the same time tho, I think many players are holding off from signing extensions because they want to see just how much the salary cap is going up, because I'm sure they want to squeeze as much coin out of their teams as possible. lol.... And that's another reason why I think Nylander is getting Draisaitl money - because the cap is going up.

Wow. The hypocrisy is off the charts here.

"I mean you do realize they will each get at least 7.5 per right?"
I'm the one taking the firm stance that the RFAs get whatever they're offered? I've never implied Nylander...or any other RFA for that matter...gets what they get and should just be happy. You were the one saying him and marner would be getting Draisaitl money "and there's no way around that"

"Dude, the RFA compensation alone would dictate they will at least make this: $7,851,948"
You firmly stated that the RFA compensation was a starting point in negotiations. Based on what, exactly? I agreed that this could in fact be possible however was also proving how your points...which you were passing off as fact...weren't very sound. It's one thing if you make those comments and say 'this is my opinion'...but don't come on here and pass opinions across as facts with soft arguments to try and back it up with.

"I find it adorable Leafs fans think they're going to get BOTH Marner and Nylander on the cheap because you know it's the "center of the hockey universe" and players are satisfied with whatever they get"
But sure...I'm the conceited one

Re-read the thread above. You'll see that I've said anything is possible and simply countered your so-called "facts" with historical reasoning
Mar. 22, 2018 at 4:50 p.m.
Quoting: T_Bone_21

Well said... I think 14 mill between the 2 is even a little high. I love nylander but he isnt exactly lighting the world in fire....

Plus goals gets you more money than assists do. Neither of them have 20 at the moment so the leafs could probably use that to their advantage and get them at 6 each... The ehlers deal.
Mar. 22, 2018 at 5:30 p.m.
steve22king
Unfortunately you can't simply hide Horton's contract...Anyone who thinks Marner or Nylander is worth over 7.25 a piece is an idiot...Don't listen to them...We need Marleau gone...We need Horton's contract to be packaged up with some draft picks and we don't need Tavares unless he took a home discount but that's not happeneing..
Mar. 23, 2018 at 10:33 a.m.
T-Bone
Quoting: steve22king
Unfortunately you can't simply hide Horton's contract...Anyone who thinks Marner or Nylander is worth over 7.25 a piece is an idiot...Don't listen to them...We need Marleau gone...We need Horton's contract to be packaged up with some draft picks and we don't need Tavares unless he took a home discount but that's not happeneing..

Were hiding the Horton contract right now. You just put him on LTIR which allows them to spend 5.3M over the cap. So in this exercise they are spending 1M over cause they still have 4M left

I agree a potential discount is in order for him to come here. Matthews and Tavares both taking 7 year deals at 10.5M would be value signings but if they want to win, it'd be worth it for them. That's still top 5 money in the NHL

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll