SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Lets Try again - C / RHD / G (future) / LW scoring?

Created by: jluqueSF
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 22, 2018
Published: Mar. 22, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Team needs:
-#3? or #4C
- Future C (scoring #3C?)
-RHD (defensively responsible)
-LW scoring? (JVR aint coming back at $$ we would like)
-Future G
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,075,000
2$950,000
2$875,000
1$775,000
8$6,275,000
3$1,250,000
2$1,050,000
1$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Mascherin, Adam
3$925,000
2$1,250,000
Karlstrom, Fredrik
3$925,000
2$2,375,000
Trades
TOR
    Rights to: Mascherin, Adam C/LW
    FLA
      Rights to: Korshkov, Yegor RW
      TOR
      1. 2019 6th round pick (WPG)
      WPG
        Negotiating rights to Tyler Bozak, if signed pick becomes a 5th Rd
        TOR
        1. Honka, Julius
        Additional Details:
        If Dallas signs JVR, 1st rd pick, becomes a 3rd
        Rights to: Fredrik Karlstrom (C)
        DAL
        1. Martin, Matt
        2. Pickard, Calvin
        3. 2019 1st round pick (TOR)
        Additional Details:
        Negotiating rights to JVR
        STL
        1. Gauthier, Frédérik
        2. 2019 4th round pick (TOR)
        TOR
        1. Dal Colle, Michael
        2. 2019 7th round pick (NYI)
        NYI
        1. Nielsen, Andrew
        2. 2019 4th round pick (STL)
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the NYI
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        23$78,500,000$60,584,166$2,550,000$5,050,000$17,915,834
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        $2,250,000$2,250,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 3
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
        C
        UFA - 1
        $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        RW
        UFA - 1
        $1,250,000$1,250,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $6,275,000$6,275,000
        RW
        UFA - 6
        $863,333$863,333
        RW
        UFA - 1
        $6,250,000$6,250,000
        LW, C
        NMC
        UFA - 2
        $4,500,000$4,500,000
        C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 4
        $2,100,000$2,100,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $2,375,000$2,375,000
        RW, LW, C
        UFA - 4
        $1,250,000$1,250,000
        C
        UFA - 2
        $925,000$925,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $1,050,000$1,050,000
        C, LW, RW
        RFA
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        LD
        UFA - 4
        $3,000,000$3,000,000
        RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        G
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $863,333$863,333
        LD/RD
        UFA - 2
        $4,500,000$4,500,000
        RD
        UFA - 6
        $850,000$850,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        $4,050,000$4,050,000
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
        RD
        UFA - 1
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $875,000$875,000
        RD
        UFA - 1
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $5,300,000$5,300,000
        RW
        M-NTC, NMC
        UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 1:38 p.m.
        Quote:
        Fitzpatrick, E

I don't even know who that is and I'll take him for Gauthier grin
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 2:17 p.m.
        Like everything you did, even your thoughts BUT while Honka is a good young RD man, I wouldn't trade away even the 1st for him let alone all the other pieces you are giving up. Too many other RD that are effective defensively out there without giving away assets for minor improvement. Take for example rumour of Oziganov about to sign with Leafs. I do see Leafs looking to balance their right and left side but with someone who can be more of a top 4 Dman. Your numbers and signing though look pretty close.
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 2:49 p.m.
        JLuque
        Quoting: hpatton
        Quote:
        Fitzpatrick, E

20 yr old G prospect, was a 2nd rounder, but STL has Allen, Husso, Binnington (all older and more ready), and that's not including if they keep Hutton, or trade for Carey Price??
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 2:56 p.m.
        JLuque
        Quoting: Doug7004
        Like everything you did, even your thoughts BUT while Honka is a good young RD man, I wouldn't trade away even the 1st for him let alone all the other pieces you are giving up. Too many other RD that are effective defensively out there without giving away assets for minor improvement. Take for example rumour of Oziganov about to sign with Leafs. I do see Leafs looking to balance their right and left side but with someone who can be more of a top 4 Dman. Your numbers and signing though look pretty close.

Honka isn't the only piece though.....
        the sneaky piece is Fredrik Karlstrom; young 20yr C 6'2" 185 lbs, has offensive upside, but on Dallas he is blocked by Seguin/Faksa/Hanzal/Janmark/Smith/Dickenson
        + we can dump the Martin $$

so the thinking was young D, young C, Martin $ dump = 1st rounder

Dallas gets b/u G (replace Kari); Martin to replace Rousell, 1st round pick ......... or a 3rd and a 30 goal scoring LW
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 2:59 p.m.
        Lets Go Blues
        Quoting: jluqueSF

20 yr old G prospect, was a 2nd rounder, but STL has Allen, Husso, Binnington (all older and more ready), and that's not including if they keep Hutton, or trade for Carey Price??[/quote]

I see Binnington as more of the odd man out and Fitzpatrick with the option to follow up behind Husso. Blues might be open to trade Fitzy but Gauthier doesn't really move the meter, we already have a ton of bottom 6 centers that would slot in above him.
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 3:03 p.m.
        I think you guys are undervaluing Honka. Look at it from another angle....

Let's pretend the Leafs drafted Liljegren three years ago. Highly touted D-man drafted middle of the first round. Gets two years of AHL seasoning and, this year, he finally cracks the lineup but doesn't put up a whole lot of points..but plays solid D for a rookie.

Would you trade him and Aaltonen to San Jose for Aaron Dell, Joel Ward, a 3rd rounder and the rights to Evander Kane?
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 3:06 p.m.
        JLuque
        Quoting: A_K
        20 yr old G prospect, was a 2nd rounder, but STL has Allen, Husso, Binnington (all older and more ready), and that's not including if they keep Hutton, or trade for Carey Price??

I see Binnington as more of the odd man out and Fitzpatrick with the option to follow up behind Husso. Blues might be open to trade Fitzy but Gauthier doesn't really move the meter, we already have a ton of bottom 6 centers that would slot in above him.[/quote]

I struggled with what the fair value was, I could even see an Adam Brooks + 3rd, or a Bracco type + pick, but think the Leafs have the pieces to make this (at this moment) minor deal happen
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 3:12 p.m.
        JLuque
        Quoting: Juice
        I think you guys are undervaluing Honka. Look at it from another angle....

Let's pretend the Leafs drafted Liljegren three years ago. Highly touted D-man drafted middle of the first round. Gets two years of AHL seasoning and, this year, he finally cracks the lineup but doesn't put up a whole lot of points..but plays solid D for a rookie.

Would you trade him and Aaltonen to San Jose for Aaron Dell, Joel Ward, a 3rd rounder and the rights to Evander Kane?

I hear what you are saying, but for the sake of argument would Dallas trade Honka + Centre prospect for :
        JVR (signed) - 30 Goal Wings don't grow on trees (Evander Kane is less than JVR)
        young b/u G (they have no G prospects) - Dell/Pickard is a toss up
        Roussell replacement? (Martin is younger and cheaper than J. Ward)
        3rd round pick
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 3:16 p.m.
        I hear what you are saying, but for the sake of argument would Dallas trade Honka + Centre prospect for :
        JVR (signed) - 30 Goal Wings don't grow on trees (Evander Kane is less than JVR)
        young b/u G (they have no G prospects) - Dell/Pickard is a toss up
        Roussell replacement? (Martin is younger and cheaper than J. Ward)
        3rd round pick

I wouldn't if I were them. I'd rather put my best foot forward on July 1 for JVR than lose a top D prospect + top C prospect in order to sign him early.
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 3:16 p.m.
        Honka isn't the only piece though.....
        the sneaky piece is Fredrik Karlstrom; young 20yr C 6'2" 185 lbs, has offensive upside, but on Dallas he is blocked by Seguin/Faksa/Hanzal/Janmark/Smith/Dickenson
        + we can dump the Martin $$

so the thinking was young D, young C, Martin $ dump = 1st rounder

Dallas gets b/u G (replace Kari); Martin to replace Rousell, 1st round pick ......... or a 3rd and a 30 goal scoring LW

Fair enough. . . . .I do see where you're going but I still can't get my head around putting the 1st in play! I do like that you are still trying to bring back something. . . .anything for JVR leaving. AND I do see Toronto moving the pieces you have in play! (sans the pick) Perhaps I don't see the same value in Honka and Karlstrom that you do! (Karlstrom is IMO a project), or I just believe that even that package can bring back better! I see JVR wanting to stay in the East (take possibly Carolina, (with his brother) who also is looking for goaltending), IS THERE SOMETHING WE CAN DO THERE? They have an abundance of Dmen, and are looking for scoring. The rights to JVR are limited, but used correctly can be useful!
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 3:17 p.m.
        Lets Go Blues
        I see Binnington as more of the odd man out and Fitzpatrick with the option to follow up behind Husso. Blues might be open to trade Fitzy but Gauthier doesn't really move the meter, we already have a ton of bottom 6 centers that would slot in above him.

I struggled with what the fair value was, I could even see an Adam Brooks + 3rd, or a Bracco type + pick, but think the Leafs have the pieces to make this (at this moment) minor deal happen[/quote]

For sure, pretty minor stuff, just giving my point of view on the goalie situation in STL. I also see that you're signing Brodziak here, that would be a smart move. He's been playing some good hockey - I hope the Blues are able to get him to stick around for another year or two, but a 2 x 1.25m offer might entice him to move on from STL.
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 3:45 p.m.
        JLuque
        Fair enough. . . . .I do see where you're going but I still can't get my head around putting the 1st in play! I do like that you are still trying to bring back something. . . .anything for JVR leaving. AND I do see Toronto moving the pieces you have in play! (sans the pick) Perhaps I don't see the same value in Honka and Karlstrom that you do! (Karlstrom is IMO a project), or I just believe that even that package can bring back better! I see JVR wanting to stay in the East (take possibly Carolina, (with his brother) who also is looking for goaltending), IS THERE SOMETHING WE CAN DO THERE? They have an abundance of Dmen, and are looking for scoring. The rights to JVR are limited, but used correctly can be useful!

I've tried the JVR + ?? package for R. McKeown but was vilified by Canes fans (didn't know there were any??); even taking back Kruger $$ too
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 3:49 p.m.
        I've tried the JVR + ?? package for R. McKeown but was vilified by Canes fans (didn't know there were any??); even taking back Kruger $$ too

I've long felt that's where he ends up if he indeed leaves Toronto!
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 3:49 p.m.
        JLuque
        Quoting: A_K
        I struggled with what the fair value was, I could even see an Adam Brooks + 3rd, or a Bracco type + pick, but think the Leafs have the pieces to make this (at this moment) minor deal happen

For sure, pretty minor stuff, just giving my point of view on the goalie situation in STL. I also see that you're signing Brodziak here, that would be a smart move. He's been playing some good hockey - I hope the Blues are able to get him to stick around for another year or two, but a 2 x 1.25m offer might entice him to move on from STL.[/quote]

always like Brodziak, even back in the MINN days. especially being a RH C with bozak leaving, and even possibly Leo, they really need a SH C and him being RH is an amazing ++ as that would give TML 2 RH/2 LH C; so babs can use them on either side of the ice
        Mar. 22, 2018 at 4:46 p.m.

I could see Calgary doing a similarly structured deal for TJ Brodie. Desperately in need of wing scoring, and could end up being Brodie for Pickard and a 1st basically if JVR doesn't sign there. Also, Burke loves his truculence, dumb as it is.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll