SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Is Gallagher a legit 30 goal scorer?

Is Gallagher a legit 30 goal scorer?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 26, 2018 at 10:38 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
The question is the Title of this post. Is Gally a 30 goal scorer moving forward? or was this year a fluke and he will go back to his 20 goal pace. I'm posting in the General NHL boards hoping to get input from other team fans smile

Bonus question!! Who is a good comparison for Gallagher on other NHL teams?
Mar. 26, 2018 at 11:07 p.m.
His career shooting percentage is around 9.6-10.0 and is going to average around 200-250 shots in his career. That's about 19.2 to 25 goals in a single year, without considered the location of the shot.

I personally don't think he is a 30 goal scorer
Mar. 26, 2018 at 11:32 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: Blazingbat11
The question is the Title of this post. Is Gally a 30 goal scorer moving forward? or was this year a fluke and he will go back to his 20 goal pace. I'm posting in the General NHL boards hoping to get input from other team fans smile

Bonus question!! Who is a good comparison for Gallagher on other NHL teams?

Wayne simmonds?
Mar. 26, 2018 at 11:51 p.m.
If he can do it two seasons in a row...
Blazingbat11 liked this.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
If he can do it two seasons in a row...

And I’m sure if he does it again next year, it’ll be “let’s see if he can do it three years in a row” right? sarcasm
Mar. 27, 2018 at 1:43 p.m.
I'm going to say no right now. Similar thoughts to @phillyjabroni with Gallagher's current S% + SOG/GP
phillyjabroni liked this.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 2:09 p.m.
Hmm here are some things to think about...

Need to define what a "30 goal scorer" is then?

Scored 30 goals with virtually no support this year. Never had a #1 centerman.
Scored 19 in 53 a couple years ago before getting his hand disintegrated into a million pieces. (On pace for 30 that year)

Is he a Pacioretty type sniper 30+ goal scorer? No but then again, he's done it this year, he could of had the year before when he got injured, barring injury his goals all came from hard work and he's one of the hardest working players in the league so....I mean is Grabner a "30 goal scorer"? He's done it once before and has flirted with it multiple times while playing less minutes than other 30 goal scorers.....

Not sure you can make an argument that he isn't a 30 goal scorer... What you can do however is define what a 30 goal scorer is in your mind and make an argument to fit your perception and it be valid.

The more accurate question is he an elite 30 goal scorer? A la Tarasenko, Seguin, etc? No he is not. We all know this. He could score 40 and I wouldn't change my mind.

Scoring 30 goals doesn't make you that good of a player anymore. 3rd liners can get 30 in this league nowadays. Scoring points has become less significant than it used to be. Its really coming down to how you score them IMO. That's the only way to separate the guys who scored 30 goals from the "30 goal scorers".
Kotkaniemi15 and DeadGuy63 liked this.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 2:27 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Hmm here are some things to think about...

Need to define what a "30 goal scorer" is then?

Scored 30 goals with virtually no support this year. Never had a #1 centerman.
Scored 19 in 53 a couple years ago before getting his hand disintegrated into a million pieces. (On pace for 30 that year)

Is he a Pacioretty type sniper 30+ goal scorer? No but then again, he's done it this year, he could of had the year before when he got injured, barring injury his goals all came from hard work and he's one of the hardest working players in the league so....I mean is Grabner a "30 goal scorer"? He's done it once before and has flirted with it multiple times while playing less minutes than other 30 goal scorers.....

Not sure you can make an argument that he isn't a 30 goal scorer... What you can do however is define what a 30 goal scorer is in your mind and make an argument to fit your perception and it be valid.

The more accurate question is he an elite 30 goal scorer? A la Tarasenko, Seguin, etc? No he is not. We all know this. He could score 40 and I wouldn't change my mind.

Scoring 30 goals doesn't make you that good of a player anymore. 3rd liners can get 30 in this league nowadays. Scoring points has become less significant than it used to be. Its really coming down to how you score them IMO. That's the only way to separate the guys who scored 30 goals from the "30 goal scorers".

I'd have to disagree about "Scoring 30 goals doesn't make you that good of a player anymore" and that simply because over the last four years 2%-3% of the NHL puts up 30 goals. Can a guy have a career year and then never do it again? Sure, but to do it even once is not easy.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 2:46 p.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
I'd have to disagree about "Scoring 30 goals doesn't make you that good of a player anymore" and that simply because over the last four years 2%-3% of the NHL puts up 30 goals. Can a guy have a career year and then never do it again? Sure, but to do it even once is not easy.

Never said it was easy. Said scoring 30 goals doesn't make you a that good of a player anymore. Patrick Eaves, Boone Jenner, Kyle Palmieri, have all done it. Are they 30 goal scorers? Technically yeah but they aren't real "30 goal scorers". Like Seguin, Tarasenko etc.

The value of scoring 30 goals has decreased. How you score 30 has increased.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 3:05 p.m.
Never said it was easy. Said scoring 30 goals doesn't make you a that good of a player anymore. Patrick Eaves, Boone Jenner, Kyle Palmieri, have all done it. Are they 30 goal scorers? Technically yeah but they aren't real "30 goal scorers". Like Seguin, Tarasenko etc.

The value of scoring 30 goals has decreased. How you score 30 has increased.

I guess we look at what "that good of player" means. To me its more than your goals that dictate if you're a good player. Of course a guy who scores 30 once isn't a "real 30 goal scorer" compared to someone like Seguin whose done it 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Can you elaborate on the "The value of scoring 30 goals has decreased. How you score 30 has increased" part of your post? I'm not really following the "how you score them is more valuable then how many you've scored"
Mar. 27, 2018 at 3:20 p.m.
I guess we look at what "that good of player" means. To me its more than your goals that dictate if you're a good player. Of course a guy who scores 30 once isn't a "real 30 goal scorer" compared to someone like Seguin whose done it 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Can you elaborate on the "The value of scoring 30 goals has decreased. How you score 30 has increased" part of your post? I'm not really following the "how you score them is more valuable then how many you've scored"

Assume Eaves, Jenner and Palmieri score 30 goals next year and Forsberg misses with 25. Are all players even "30 goal scorers"? All have done it twice now.... Corey Perry used to score 30 every year but has declined as of late..... what if he scores 30 again in a couple years? Is he back to being a 30 goal scorer?

If by definition scoring 30 goals makes you a 30 goal scorer, you have to look at other aspects of scoring 30 goals to be considered a "30 goal scorer" Generalization being guys like Seguin, Tarasenko who are widely considered some of the best 30 goal scorers in the game. (For example)

The same thing can be brought up with "top pairing" dmen. What is a top pairing dman? A guy who plays on his teams top pairing? Jeff Petry is a top pairing dman? Or is Drew Doughty a "top pairing dman"?

We can circle back to Gallagher. He's now scored 30. He's flirted with 30 in the past. He's only 25 years old and scores regardless of the quality of his linemates. How can anyone say he's not a "30 goal scorer"? What is the criteria for a 30 goal scorer then?
Mar. 27, 2018 at 3:20 p.m.

Not sure if this is what @F50marco is referring to, but Conor Sheary is a statistical byproduct of playing with Sidney Crosby. I don't suspect that he has the caliber of a player that is higher than a bottom-six forward, yet he scores. Paul Byron is another name that comes to mind, seeing as how if you eliminate his goals within high-danger zones, his shooting percentage is abysmal.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 3:26 p.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Not sure if this is what @F50marco is referring to, but Conor Sheary is a statistical byproduct of playing with Sidney Crosby. I don't suspect that he has the caliber of a player that is higher than a bottom-six forward, yet he scores. Paul Byron is another name that comes to mind, seeing as how if you eliminate his goals within high-danger zones, his shooting percentage is abysmal.

It elaborates further yes. Although Im not completely sold on that either because if you take away high danger zones on a player and the player is not a shooter by nature who can score from longer ranges, that shouldn't necessarily discredit him. He scores where it matters and that is fine. But yes your hitting a little more to what I was getting at.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 3:55 p.m.
Assume Eaves, Jenner and Palmieri score 30 goals next year and Forsberg misses with 25. Are all players even "30 goal scorers"? All have done it twice now.... Corey Perry used to score 30 every year but has declined as of late..... what if he scores 30 again in a couple years? Is he back to being a 30 goal scorer?

If by definition scoring 30 goals makes you a 30 goal scorer, you have to look at other aspects of scoring 30 goals to be considered a "30 goal scorer" Generalization being guys like Seguin, Tarasenko who are widely considered some of the best 30 goal scorers in the game. (For example)

The same thing can be brought up with "top pairing" dmen. What is a top pairing dman? A guy who plays on his teams top pairing? Jeff Petry is a top pairing dman? Or is Drew Doughty a "top pairing dman"?

We can circle back to Gallagher. He's now scored 30. He's flirted with 30 in the past. He's only 25 years old and scores regardless of the quality of his linemates. How can anyone say he's not a "30 goal scorer"? What is the criteria for a 30 goal scorer then?

So when you say how it's not so much where on the ice you score it's more of a consistency thing? Am I understanding you correctly?
Mar. 27, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
So when you say how it's not so much where on the ice you score it's more of a consistency thing? Am I understanding you correctly?

No i think your still missing the point. The "where you are on the ice" is more Jabs interjection but it has merit also. And saying consistency, is way too ambiguous. A guy like Patty Kane has only scored 30+ twice, does that make him less a "30 goal scorer" than Tavares?

Anyhoo, all of this for naught, there is no right or wrong. Only preferences.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.
No i think your still missing the point. The "where you are on the ice" is more Jabs interjection but it has merit also. And saying consistency, is way too ambiguous. A guy like Patty Kane has only scored 30+ twice, does that make him less a "30 goal scorer" than Tavares?

Anyhoo, all of this for naught, there is no right or wrong. Only preferences.

Its an interesting question and my first though was "If I had to put money on who is more likely to net 30 goals"

For his career Kane avg 31 goals over an 82 games season. JT averages 33, but has netted 30+ in 4 of his 9 seasons with 3 others having him miss that mark by 1-2 goals. Kane on the flip side has netted 30+ in 3 of his 11 seasons with missing the mark by 1-2 in 1 season. Now obviously there is an argument of GP, but to your question, I'd say yes Kane is less of a 30 goal scorer than JT. Again a big reason for that is my first thought to your question.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 4:44 p.m.
Its an interesting question and my first though was "If I had to put money on who is more likely to net 30 goals"

For his career Kane avg 31 goals over an 82 games season. JT averages 33, but has netted 30+ in 4 of his 9 seasons with 3 others having him miss that mark by 1-2 goals. Kane on the flip side has netted 30+ in 3 of his 11 seasons with missing the mark by 1-2 in 1 season. Now obviously there is an argument of GP, but to your question, I'd say yes Kane is less of a 30 goal scorer than JT. Again a big reason for that is my first thought to your question.

Yup fair assumption but then again injuries play a factor. A player could consistently put up a 30 goal pace through out his career but if is always injured 5-10 games a year, will never hit the mark. Thats why a guy who may have had two 30+ goals seasons may still not be as much a "30 goal scorer" as the guy that hasn't. It really comes down preferences and ones criteria for it being valid. That can vary from person to person. We're not comparing players validity, only Gallagher's.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves with what the actual question is. Is Gallagher a legit 30 goal scorer? Well if he's already done it. He's had that pace before. He's young enough to be able to do it again in the future. How is he not a "30 goals scorer"? Back to square one.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 5:16 p.m.
Yup fair assumption but then again injuries play a factor. A player could consistently put up a 30 goal pace through out his career but if is always injured 5-10 games a year, will never hit the mark. Thats why a guy who may have had two 30+ goals seasons may still not be as much a "30 goal scorer" as the guy that hasn't. It really comes down preferences and ones criteria for it being valid. That can vary from person to person. We're not comparing players validity, only Gallagher's.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves with what the actual question is. Is Gallagher a legit 30 goal scorer? Well if he's already done it. He's had that pace before. He's young enough to be able to do it again in the future. How is he not a "30 goals scorer"? Back to square one.

You're right its a preference thing Of course my argument for why he wouldn't be is the same one I used as to why JT was more so than Kane. In his 6 year career, Gallagher has scored 30 goals once and has only cracked 20 goals twice...with a two year gap in between those 20+ goal seasons.

It an interesting discussion, but you're right on the validity of it.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 5:55 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
I think Gallagher falls more in the category of guys like Hornqvist, or even Holmstrom for those who remember the early 2000s. Their not exactly the skilled guys, but have consistently put up in between 20-30 goals, almost all being around the net.

I'm just curious to what kind of stats Gallagher could put up with guys like Crosby or Mcjesus, or just a decent top 6 C for that matter lol. Or if Gally is just that type of player that will have the same offensive output regardless of who he's playing with.
Hockeylover360 liked this.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 5:44 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
On this bad of a team he can score thirty goals on a defensive 3rd line for most of the year? Of course he is!
Apr. 2, 2018 at 8:31 p.m.
HawksFan28
Nope. He really hasn't come close in his career. He only had 10 last season and his career high up until now is 24 so he really hasn't come close.

He's not even a consistent 20 goal scorer considering this is the 2nd time he's scored more than 20.

Who knows .... It would be funny if he came out of nowhere and started putting up 30-40 goals a season tho. Wonder if a player has ever done that? put up 10-20 goals for the first 5-6 years of their career then blossomed into a consistent 40-50 goal player, heck even 30.. I suppose Patrick Sharp kinda did that but he just got more ice time, and he was always a goal scorer.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:31 p.m.
CapFriendlyCommenter
Well, based off the direct known correlation of height to ability in the NHL. I will have to say no. Gallagher is one of the shortest players in the League at 5’8’ he is much further in technical terms to God compared to taller players. 30 goals in a season from him must be the work of Satanic Black Magic
mhockey91, LicMysak and Buchnevesey liked this.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:31 p.m.
Quoting: CFCommenter
Well, based off the direct known correlation of height to ability in the NHL. I will have to say no. Gallagher is one of the shortest players in the League at 5’8’ he is much further in technical terms to God compared to taller players. 30 goals in a season from him must be the work of Satanic Black Magic

This guy may be new but he’s onto something applaud

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit