SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Boston Bruins signed Zdeno Chara (1 Year / $6,750,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 28, 2018 at 10:11 a.m.
Zdeno Chara has signed a new contract with the Boston Bruins.
35+ Contract (Extension)
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Don Sweeney
Length: 1 year
Value: $6,750,000
Expiry Status: UFA
Cap % Tooltip: 6.67
Signing Team: Logo of the Boston BruinsBoston Bruins
Signing Date: Mar. 28, 2018
Source: CapFriendly

Zdeno Chara signed a 1 year, $6,750,000 contract with the Boston Bruins on Mar. 28, 2018. The contract has a cap hit of $5,000,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2018-19NMC$5,000,000$6,750,000$1,750,000$0$5,000,000$5,000,000$5,000,000
TOTAL$5,000,000$6,750,000$1,750,000$0$5,000,000$5,000,000$5,000,000
P. BONUS DETAILS: Games Played Bonus: $1,250,000 (10 gms) + Playoff Qualification Bonus: $250,000 (club qualifies for the playoffs) + Stanley Cup Bonus: $250,000 (club wins the Stanley Cup)
CLAUSE SOURCE: CapFriendly
Mar. 28, 2018 at 10:17 a.m.
MountRoyal514
Might as well, he's slower than ever but otherwise still effective and a great overall athlete and leader. I guess than can keep signing him to 1-year deals as long as he wants to play and can still perform, like Chelios in Detroit.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 10:19 a.m.
Still think he is a solid top 4 defenceman, good that it's only 1 year considering his age
Greenothemeano liked this.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 10:38 a.m.
I'm a Skatman
1 year = no risk and he can ease younger guys into their roles by taking the workload if necessary. good decision.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:00 a.m.
Pretty much in line with what I was expecting. Wish he would have signed for his current salary (maybe a little less), but he's worth $5 million on a 1 year deal.
Missouri and Greenothemeano liked this.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
HawksFan28
Wow, that's a good chunk of money for a veteran of his age.... I've been surprised by these large $$$ contracts handed out by teams for older veteran players like Joe Thornton (8 million?), Marleau (6 per?) and now Chara @ 6.750 million.

And people still say Seabrook is a bad contract? sure the term is screwed up but it's market value.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 3:28 p.m.
Quoting: HawksFan28
Wow, that's a good chunk of money for a veteran of his age.... I've been surprised by these large $$$ contracts handed out by teams for older veteran players like Joe Thornton (8 million?), Marleau (6 per?) and now Chara @ 6.750 million.

And people still say Seabrook is a bad contract? sure the term is screwed up but it's market value.

Its really $5 million + the bonus so he's not guaranteed the $6.75 million. He's making $4 million this year, so its really a $1 million raise with potential for more. For a guy whose playing at the level he is for his age, I'll take it.
bixyboii and Greenothemeano liked this.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 3:33 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: ON3M4N
Its really $5 million + the bonus so he's not guaranteed the $6.75 million. He's making $4 million this year, so its really a $1 million raise with potential for more. For a guy whose playing at the level he is for his age, I'll take it.

I'm just shocked a team would hand out a contract like that to an "older" player. It's just unusual, but if he can play then pay him. It just seems that when players hit 40 they're no longer offered 5 million dollar salaries. I figured Chara was going retire honestly and if he decided to play another year it would be for something like $1,000,000.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 3:42 p.m.
I'm just shocked a team would hand out a contract like that to an "older" player. It's just unusual, but if he can play then pay him. It just seems that when players hit 40 they're no longer offered 5 million dollar salaries. I figured Chara was going retire honestly and if he decided to play another year it would be for something like $1,000,000.

Chara's still playing at a high rate for his age. It crazy, but his numbers just haven't fallen off like you'd expect it would for most guys his age. Its funny, but the Bruins have scaled his ATOI back for the 3rd straight year and he's still playing 23 minutes a night. His point production has dipped, but you don't really rely on him for that anymore and he gets almost no PP time (which probably contributes to his totals going down). He's really just an anomaly and I'm surprised how well he's played for his age.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 3:50 p.m.
HawksFan28
Chara's still playing at a high rate for his age. It crazy, but his numbers just haven't fallen off like you'd expect it would for most guys his age. Its funny, but the Bruins have scaled his ATOI back for the 3rd straight year and he's still playing 23 minutes a night. His point production has dipped, but you don't really rely on him for that anymore and he gets almost no PP time (which probably contributes to his totals going down). He's really just an anomaly and I'm surprised how well he's played for his age.

Well, it's a one year deal so it's nothing to be concerned about. It's just that players that age can fall off a cliff in a matter of months. Besides, I would figure Chara would want to be one of those guys that retire while they're still somewhat decent, not a guy like Chris Chelios who played until he was 47 and retired one of the worst defenseman in the league. Chelios was just embarrassing. But if Chara can still play then re-sign him.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 3:58 p.m.
Well, it's a one year deal so it's nothing to be concerned about. It's just that players that age can fall off a cliff in a matter of months. Besides, I would figure Chara would want to be one of those guys that retire while they're still somewhat decent, not a guy like Chris Chelios who played until he was 47 and retired one of the worst defenseman in the league. Chelios was just embarrassing. But if Chara can still play then re-sign him.

I really thought he'd wait to see how the season went TBH. I figured if Boston managed to win the Cup this year, Chara would call it a career and end on a high note.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 4:33 p.m.
I'm a Skatman

.. they can fall off a cliff but if that's a one year deal that's no problem. you have your cap situation sorted out through the year and IF he fails you probably have a backup plan anyway
Mar. 28, 2018 at 4:53 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Waaaayyyyy too much money. But oh well; he still has some left in the tank.
Mar. 29, 2018 at 7:34 a.m.
Quoting: Icegirl
Waaaayyyyy too much money. But oh well; he still has some left in the tank.

Why do you think that's true?
Mar. 29, 2018 at 10:11 a.m.
BreKel
Why do you think that's true?

Because she's seeing 6.75M and not understanding that it's 5M with bonuses. Lol

Still playing at a high level and a top 2/4 option...Hasn't shown any signs of slowing down and if he does, it's 1Y. Great mentor to have around the young defenseman coming up as well. No brainer move here. Sweeney nails another one.
Mar. 29, 2018 at 10:46 a.m.
I don't think it's too much, especially on one year deal. I like the dignity that the bruins and chara bring to the deal. bruins pay chara market value, chara know the end is coming soon, presumably so he doesn't want to handcuff his team in future years. imagine if chara had signed a 3 year deal at 4.5m per year. if his play declined in year two of the deal, the only thing people would be talking about bad cap hit and how it hurts the bruins. chara wants to remembered as great bruin and not any "cap hit" talk late in his career. plus a 20 year nhl career, it's not about the money and term anymore.
Mar. 29, 2018 at 11:27 a.m.
Below Market Value
I don't hate this deal for Boston. As much as I dislike using "intangibles" as a tool to measure player value, Chara's definitely got valuable intangibles. He's been instrumental in the development of Carlo last season and McAvoy this season. And he can still effectively play solid defense, even with his slow foot speed. I am surprised that the base salary actually went up, but that just shows how valuable he's been to the organization.

But it looks like the Bergeron Captaincy is on hold for at least another year.
Mar. 30, 2018 at 8:37 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Quoting: BreKel
Because she's seeing 6.75M and not understanding that it's 5M with bonuses. Lol

Still playing at a high level and a top 2/4 option...Hasn't shown any signs of slowing down and if he does, it's 1Y. Great mentor to have around the young defenseman coming up as well. No brainer move here. Sweeney nails another one.

Because he's forty-*******-two and will inevitably slow down at some point. There's no reason why he should be making more than he is now.

But I know better than to argue with you, so I won't waste any more energy on this. Signed, a Bruins fan. (sips tea)
Mar. 30, 2018 at 10:28 p.m.
BreKel
Because he's forty-*******-two and will inevitably slow down at some point. There's no reason why he should be making more than he is now.

But I know better than to argue with you, so I won't waste any more energy on this. Signed, a Bruins fan. (sips tea)

He's making 5M dollars, which is only 1M more than what he was making. If he reaches 6.75M then he hit all his bonuses. If he's hitting his bonuses, that means he's still healthy and playing. Chara is 41 and will definitely slow down. No doubting that. It's inevitable. That said, he's still playinga at a high level, and seeing it's a 1Y deal, what is the worst that happens? You burned cap space for 1 year, during a season they don't need it. Next year, the Bruins really don't need to burn any cap space. Their team is locked up already. The cap will be going up as well.

I've never once had any interaction with you on here, so I'm not sure where this, "I know better than to argue with you," is coming from. You're on a public forum designed for debate/discussion. That's what is happening here. Do we need to pompous response?

-- Signed a Bruins fan.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:28 p.m.
CapFriendlyCommenter

Boston resigning zdeno chara for 1 year 5 mill is a good deal... despite his age he is the tallest player in the NHL which means he is in technical terms the closest player in the NHL to God. We all know that in the recent times with the behaviour of Brad Marchand the Boston Bruins truly need Jesus.
Pasta88Sauce, mhockey91, LicMysak and 2 others liked this.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:33 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Quoting: CFCommenter
Boston resigning zdeno chara for 1 year 5 mill is a good deal... despite his age he is the tallest player in the NHL which means he is in technical terms the closest player in the NHL to God. We all know that in the recent times with the behaviour of Brad Marchand the Boston Bruins truly need Jesus.

Are you TCS? Or are you Max pretending to be TCS?
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:35 p.m.
CapFriendlyCommenter
I’m Rodzikhockey
mhockey91 and PrincessChloe liked this.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:38 p.m.
BreKel
Quoting: CFCommenter
I’m Rodzikhockey

Why are you trolling Bruins threads with marchand crap?
Apr. 3, 2018 at 12:07 a.m.
Follow CapFriendly
@Brekel, relax, he's making a joke. Not every comment towards Boston is trolling.
CFCommenter and mhockey91 liked this.
Apr. 3, 2018 at 12:10 a.m.
BreKel
Quoting: Jarvis
@Brekel, relax, he's making a joke. Not every comment towards Boston is trolling.

Lol, he's copying and pasting the same "joke" two different spots and one is a thread on the Bruins section. I don't get the point. But yes, protect the trolls! lololol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit