SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

Ryan Donato's Potential - Feedback Apreciated

Mar. 29, 2018 at 7:16 p.m.
Hello Bruins world, wondering what you guys think on Donato's potential? What kind of a player can he become? What the appropriate point totals he could produce in the future? Thanks
Mar. 30, 2018 at 8:29 a.m.
BreKel
Donato has big time potential. Not really sure if he'll end up being a LW'er or a C at the NHL level, but as of right now, Bruins are using him on the wing. He's a shoot first, type player. Hard accurate shot that he's very good at getting off. He also has shown that he can score a number of ways. He'll go to the front of the net for tips and he'll battle for dirty goals there. He's shown soft hands on the goal in Winnipeg, and his first NHL goal was a nice one-timer from the corner. He has all around ability, though it's going to take him a little bit to get comfortable with that at NHL speed. Offensively, he's already there, but his defensive game is going to be a work in progress. He does seem to be getting better already though. He's a dynamic player who will get better once he gets NHL comfortable/consistent.

I think he can become a top 6 forward, who can give you 25-30+ goals, 50-60+ points. It's hard because he does only have 5 NHL games. You can see the skill already, which is scary, because it is only his 5th game. In the offensive zone, he looks very good and dynamic.
Mar. 30, 2018 at 10:49 a.m.
Quoting: BreKel
Donato has big time potential. Not really sure if he'll end up being a LW'er or a C at the NHL level, but as of right now, Bruins are using him on the wing. He's a shoot first, type player. Hard accurate shot that he's very good at getting off. He also has shown that he can score a number of ways. He'll go to the front of the net for tips and he'll battle for dirty goals there. He's shown soft hands on the goal in Winnipeg, and his first NHL goal was a nice one-timer from the corner. He has all around ability, though it's going to take him a little bit to get comfortable with that at NHL speed. Offensively, he's already there, but his defensive game is going to be a work in progress. He does seem to be getting better already though. He's a dynamic player who will get better once he gets NHL comfortable/consistent.

I think he can become a top 6 forward, who can give you 25-30+ goals, 50-60+ points. It's hard because he does only have 5 NHL games. You can see the skill already, which is scary, because it is only his 5th game. In the offensive zone, he looks very good and dynamic.

That's what I thought I'd heard. Thanks BreKel
Mar. 30, 2018 at 10:51 a.m.
BreKel
Quoting: DavidBooth7
That's what I thought I'd heard. Thanks BreKel

No problem. I'm sure @ON3M4N can chime in as well. He's good with opinions on players.
Mar. 30, 2018 at 6:01 p.m.
IDK that he'll ever reach the same level of production, but Donato reminds of Marchand (minus the dirty hitting). Donato can make you pay from just about any point on the ice. He's not fast, but he is very elusive, especially in tight spaces. Donato can shoot from the dots, jam in front of the net and will take it to the net each time he can. Defensively I think Donato is slightly ahead of Pastrank right now, but with time and experience, Donato's two-way game could be reminisent of (again) Marchand. The one thing that Donato maybe better than Marchand & Pasta is in his release. Donato is one of those players that holds his sticker higher up and can fire it from at any moment (a la Kane).

As far as numbers go....

He's currently avg 2.8 SOG per game at 17% shooting so you figure over an 82 game season that's around 230 SOG * 17% and you get 39 goals. Now granted that's based on a very small sample size, but I think maybe at his peak he could be a fringe 40 goal scorer. He does have some good vision as well, but he's a shoot first guy. Because of his shot first mentality, maybe he's a 30-45 assist guy.

Next year - I could see Donato netting 20-25 goals maybe 20-30 assist

Peak years - 40-45 goals / 30-40 goals

^This of course is all best case. He could end up being another Frank Vatrano (although that seems less likely). Develop wise I expect Donato to be very similar to Pastrnak, but I do think Donato develops faster to the pro game.
BreKel liked this.
Apr. 4, 2018 at 10:05 p.m.
I see Donato as a likely 60 point candidate in a few years. I think thats realistic for him. He's making a lot of plays already and his awareness is really high for a young kid. He's got the speed he's got the skill, he's a great prospect. I'm looking forward to seeing who looks more talented in camp next season: Donato vs Bjork. Anyways I think it'll take until after the midway point next year until we actually have a decent idea of what he is, but the ceiling is definitely high.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll