Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$75,000,000$71,851,666$2,550,000$2,850,000$3,148,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 4
$3,600,000$3,600,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 2, 2018 at 10:57 a.m.
FlyersFAN
OEL trade is tricky and obviously don't want to give up Marner but to get rid of Horton contract and to acquire OEL I feel it's worth it. ARI gets Marner, Gardiner to boost up team, plus first rounder. Might have to eat some of Horton contract in reality. I felt this was an important move bc as you can see Matthews, Kapanen and OEL are FA after this year (19-20). I imagine their contracts will be around the area of $11-8 Matthews, $7-5 OEL, Bridge Kapanen. In total that's about $20. By getting rid of Horton contract, that opens up $5.5 and with Hainsey $3 and potential Marleau trade $6.25, that's about $15
Komarov resigning is questionable as the $3 saved by not signing him would help towards next years resignings as mentioned above.
Definitely tricky situation going forward to try to keep the stars long-term
Apr. 2, 2018 at 10:59 a.m.
V5 ANA and BOG
The Leafs don't need to rid themselves of Horton's contract. They're filthy rich and Horton doesn't take up any cap space, since he's put on LTIR each year.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:03 a.m.
FlyersFAN
Quoting: NR1203
The Leafs don't need to rid themselves of Horton's contract. They're filthy rich and Horton doesn't take up any cap space, since he's put on LTIR each year.

I didn't consider the fact that he goes on LTIR each year. Take him out of the trade to ARI would it be realistic? Maybe just Marner and Gardiner
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:39 a.m.
you're going to trade away Marner for a pending UFA so you can bring back Komarov and Bozak?

the fail is strong in this one...
palhal and NR1203 liked this.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:44 a.m.
FlyersFAN
Quoting: hpatton
you're going to trade away Marner for a pending UFA so you can bring back Komarov and Bozak?

the fail is strong in this one...

I see what you're saying but the pending UFA could win the Norris on a legit team like the leafs. Granted Komarov might walk this summer, how can the Leafs not resign Bozak? Look at their bottom 6 without Bozak and Komarov. No thanks. I feel like they have to stay for depth and would be cheaper than signing someone of their caliber in Free Agency
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:46 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Could be the worst trade ever posted, the OEL trade. Certainly the Flyers wouldn't trade Patrick for OEL even up would they and Marner is 70 point player in his second NHL season. Leafs save cap space by not resigning Komarov, and JVR (he'll get more than what you indicate) and maybe even Bozak isn't resigned. Seems to big fascination lately trading players on LTIR. LTIRs just affect when performance bonus are paid, nothing more.
NR1203 liked this.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:54 a.m.
FlyersFAN
Quoting: palhal
Could be the worst trade ever posted, the OEL trade. Certainly the Flyers wouldn't trade Patrick for OEL even up would they and Marner is 70 point player in his second NHL season. Leafs save cap space by not resigning Komarov, and JVR (he'll get more than what you indicate) and maybe even Bozak isn't resigned. Seems to big fascination lately trading players on LTIR. LTIRs just affect when performance bonus are paid, nothing more.

That's a valid point about Marner's production but TOR needs a legit #1 D to be a real contender and with ARI rebuilding I feel it's legit. Yes Marner is going to be great but what if the Leafs win or get to the cup this year because they finally have a #1 D that could win the Norris? Also, to your point about resigning the players, in reality it may be just half of them that get resigned but without those bottom 6 players, there's no chance the Leafs go far so I assumed they resign for the sake of the potential run
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:55 a.m.
GM - Canucks
@jayjenkins

Just a quick run down on why your OEL trade is brutal.
Leafs get an UFA defender, even though elite for 1 year.
Arizona gets Marner, an RFA playmaking forward who is capable of going over point per game once he matures. In addition to an UFA defenceman in Gardiner (currently has more points that OEL).
The Horton contract doesn't make a difference, since it doesn't affect salary cap and all it costs the Leafs is one contract spot.

There is no way in hell the Leafs would do this deal, and ruin the future.
I am starting to suspect you must be a Habs fan, because this reeks of a Bergevin deal.

You spy.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:56 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: jayjenkins
I see what you're saying but the pending UFA could win the Norris on a legit team like the leafs. Granted Komarov might walk this summer, how can the Leafs not resign Bozak? Look at their bottom 6 without Bozak and Komarov. No thanks. I feel like they have to stay for depth and would be cheaper than signing someone of their caliber in Free Agency

The Leafs bottom six is quite strong, don't know why you even said that. The fact that didn't know Horton was on LTIR for the past three years, makes me think you know little of the Leafs. Trading the Leafs leading scorer for one year OEL, who no way is close to being a Norris winnershakes head with any team.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 11:58 a.m.
FlyersFAN
Quoting: TMLSage
@jayjenkins

Just a quick run down on why your OEL trade is brutal.
Leafs get an UFA defender, even though elite for 1 year.
Arizona gets Marner, an RFA playmaking forward who is capable of going over point per game once he matures. In addition to an UFA defenceman in Gardiner (currently has more points that OEL).
The Horton contract doesn't make a difference, since it doesn't affect salary cap and all it costs the Leafs is one contract spot.

There is no way in hell the Leafs would do this deal, and ruin the future.
I am starting to suspect you must be a Habs fan, because this reeks of a Bergevin deal.

You spy.

Lol I'll never be a Habs fan. That rundown makes sense. Would you consider it legit if the trade was for a more elite defenseman with a better contract? (Burns, Doughty, Ekblad...) Obviously these trades would be difficult, but with Marner included could be possible
Apr. 2, 2018 at 12:00 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Lol I'll never be a Habs fan. That rundown makes sense. Would you consider it legit if the trade was for a more elite defenseman with a better contract? (Burns, Doughty, Ekblad...) Obviously these trades would be difficult, but with Marner included could be possible

Realistically, I wouldn't trade Marner for any defenceman in the league except for Dalhin lmfao.
Young crazy talented player, you don't trade those away for old players.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 12:03 p.m.
I'll likely be in the minority with this comment...But I see OEL as only a marginal upgrade on Gardiner. Both play the left side...They are both terrific skaters...play similar minutes...similar points....OEL has awful +/- but a lot of that has to do with the team he's on. Both have 1 year left on their current contracts. Both are prone to getting lost in their own D-zone at times...although I'll say Gardiner's lapses, while much less frequent than before, are more likely to occur than from OEL.

Jake is 1 yr older but will likely be re-signed at much lower cap hit than OEL

So...from a trade standpoint...while I would certainly take OEL over Gardiner...I wouldn't add much more to balance out the trade, especially considering cap hits. Gardiner and a 1st...maybe...and that deal doesn't make sense from Arizona's standpoint.

The fact Marner is included throws the scales completely off kilter. I wouldn't do Marner for OEL straight up. The kid has been producing at a 100pt/season pace since he's been moved off the 3rd/4th line.

The Tanev trade makes more sense given he plays the right side and is on a decent contract. I'm not a big Tanev fan but I'd be fine with that package.
jayjenkins and palhal liked this.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 12:09 p.m.

From your list...maybe an Ekblad given his age and that he's signed long term. Parayko is another name that lines up with being a young, RD on a long-term deal. A guy like Burns would be awesome but, at 33, the Leafs wouldn't be trading away a guy like Marner for. Picks and prospects for vets...young stud for young stud. That being said, I imagine the Leafs would part with Nylander before Marner.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 12:15 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Juice
I'll likely be in the minority with this comment...But I see OEL as only a marginal upgrade on Gardiner. Both play the left side...They are both terrific skaters...play similar minutes...similar points....OEL has awful +/- but a lot of that has to do with the team he's on. Both have 1 year left on their current contracts. Both are prone to getting lost in their own D-zone at times...although I'll say Gardiner's lapses, while much less frequent than before, are more likely to occur than from OEL.

That's my thoughts on OEL/Marner. Seems like so many people are fascinated about OEL. Seems like the supermodel that you see from afar, but if you once meet them, they just like any one else.

IMO Gardiner is going to be too expensive to resign in 2019 as will OEL(if he was a Leaf). Leafs will be looking at Reilly, Dermot probably Borgman at LHD in 2019. Now the right side? It's unclear, though I think it's Zaitsev and Liljegren.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 12:22 p.m.

Exactly...all signs point to Dermott being able to take over the 2LD role that Gardiner currently has, with a similar skill set. A full year next year will be able to confirm or deny that....but I would imagine they'd prefer to use Jake's money on a RD. Not sure if a #1 is realistic to obtain but a few might hit free agency that summer:

Doughty (one can dream)
Karlsson (doubtful)
Tyler Myers (I'd love this guy but imagine WPG re-signs)
Stralman
Ryan Ellis
Apr. 2, 2018 at 12:40 p.m.
That's a valid point about Marner's production but TOR needs a legit #1 D to be a real contender and with ARI rebuilding I feel it's legit. Yes Marner is going to be great but what if the Leafs win or get to the cup this year because they finally have a #1 D that could win the Norris? Also, to your point about resigning the players, in reality it may be just half of them that get resigned but without those bottom 6 players, there's no chance the Leafs go far so I assumed they resign for the sake of the potential run

Leafs have a number 1D who has been better than OEL this year and probably last year, Morgan Rielly.... by pretty much every metric Rielly has been far better than OEL this year. Rielly is also only like 23 so will only get better.

This myth about the need for a number 1D and therefore Toronto has to trade one of Marner or Nylander is bullshit.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 12:46 p.m.
From your list...maybe an Ekblad given his age and that he's signed long term. Parayko is another name that lines up with being a young, RD on a long-term deal. A guy like Burns would be awesome but, at 33, the Leafs wouldn't be trading away a guy like Marner for. Picks and prospects for vets...young stud for young stud. That being said, I imagine the Leafs would part with Nylander before Marner.

Wouldn't trade Marner for Ekblad considering Ekblads contract, concussion history at such a young age and his less than stellar play the last few years.

Parayko has yet to play on the top pairing and plays behind one of the better defenders in the league in Pietrangelo as well as a strong defensive team in general. Would want to see if Parayko could deal with the hardest matchups before I would trade someone like Marner for him.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 12:49 p.m.
Quoting: Wotisthebest
Leafs have a number 1D who has been better than OEL this year and probably last year, Morgan Rielly.... by pretty much every metric Rielly has been far better than OEL this year. Rielly is also only like 23 so will only get better.

This myth about the need for a number 1D and therefore Toronto has to trade one of Marner or Nylander is bullshit.

Yup...statistically...the Leaf's D is slightly above average. Of course...the right side has lots of room for improvement...but Marner/Nylander is not the way to go about doing it unless you're getting an equally young-elite level D-man coming back. It's always a risky proposition going that route, but I'm thinking more of a Jones/Johannsen trade...just tough to find another team who's matches up with that strategy.
Wotisthebest liked this.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 12:50 p.m.
Quoting: Wotisthebest
Wouldn't trade Marner for Ekblad considering Ekblads contract, concussion history at such a young age and his less than stellar play the last few years.

Parayko has yet to play on the top pairing and plays behind one of the better defenders in the league in Pietrangelo as well as a strong defensive team in general. Would want to see if Parayko could deal with the hardest matchups before I would trade someone like Marner for him.

I would honestly do Nylander + before I did Marner straight up.
Wotisthebest liked this.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 3:44 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

I have tried mostly unsuccessful for year trying to debunk this myth about a # 1Dmen is the the panacea of success for a team. Karlsson has won four playoffs rounds in now eight years. Doughty who might be the best Dman in the past five years, sure he's too Cups, but his team has missed the playoffs too. Hedman has missed the the playoffs in three of his now eight years. Pens win the Cup last year without Letang and Hainsey playing the most minutes of any of Dmen. It's probably more important to have a four above average Dmen and a two/three that are good enough to have about even plus minus. You could win with that group.

Seemingly it looks like a lot of this # 1 Dman theory comes from Leaf haters. Leafs just need better play out of their defensemen (as do most teams) to be serious contenders. IMO the Leafs aren't serious contenders for the Cup this year anyway, but replacing Polak with Karlsson wouldn't guarantee success either. Especially if you had to strip your team of players to acquire this mythical # 1 Dman magic man.
Look at St Louis over the years. Nice team. Had Peitrangelo, Shattenkirk, Parayko, Bouemeister on defence. How many playoff rounds did they win?
Apr. 2, 2018 at 3:59 p.m.
Seemingly it looks like a lot of this # 1 Dman theory comes from Leaf haters. Leafs just need better play out of their defensemen (as do most teams) to be serious contenders. IMO the Leafs aren't serious contenders for the Cup this year anyway, but replacing Polak with Karlsson wouldn't guarantee success either. Especially if you had to strip your team of players to acquire this mythical # 1 Dman magic man.
Look at St Louis over the years. Nice team. Had Peitrangelo, Shattenkirk, Parayko, Bouemeister on defence. How many playoff rounds did they win?

I don't know if that's entirely fair. Agreed that having a legit #1 d-man doesn't make you a cup contender...But only 1 team gets to win the cup each year...and if you look at every other cup winner over the past few year...last year's Penguins are the only exception:

2016: Pens - Letang (22 pts in the playoffs that year)
2015: Blackhawks - Keith
2014: Kings - Doughty
2013: Blackhawks - Keith
2012: Kings - Doughty
2011: Bruins - Chara
2010: Blackhawks - Keith
2009: Penguins - Letang
2008: Red wings - Lidstrom
2007: Ducks - Niedermeyer + Pronger

Teams like the Penguins last year...and to a certain extent...Leafs and Tampa this year...can compete for a cup based on depth up the middle, timely goaltending, and elite scoring.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 4:07 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I don't know if that's entirely fair. Agreed that having a legit #1 d-man doesn't make you a cup contender...But only 1 team gets to win the cup each year...and if you look at every other cup winner over the past few year...last year's Penguins are the only exception:

2016: Pens - Letang (22 pts in the playoffs that year)
2015: Blackhawks - Keith
2014: Kings - Doughty
2013: Blackhawks - Keith
2012: Kings - Doughty
2011: Bruins - Chara
2010: Blackhawks - Keith
2009: Penguins - Letang
2008: Red wings - Lidstrom
2007: Ducks - Niedermeyer + Pronger

Teams like the Penguins last year...and to a certain extent...Leafs and Tampa this year...can compete for a cup based on depth up the middle, timely goaltending, and elite scoring.

The 7 players you listed. Four drafted by their clubs, two UFA signings, and one questionable trade under cloudy circumstances. I suggesting that teams don't strip down their clubs to make a trade for this # 1 Dman. They players are obtained via the draft or UFA. Trading for one seems to more of lateral move, you just hurt yourself in another position.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 4:15 p.m.
The 7 players you listed. Four drafted by their clubs, two UFA signings, and one questionable trade under cloudy circumstances. I suggesting that teams don't strip down their clubs to make a trade for this # 1 Dman. They players are obtained via the draft or UFA. Trading for one seems to more of lateral move, you just hurt yourself in another position.

Oh...well that I'll agree with..trading for a legit #1 dman will cost too much...you basically either draft one or trade for a younger top 4 guy and hope he develops into one. True #'1 almost never hit UFA. Even Chara, when signed, wasn't viewed by Ottawa as a #1. That's why I'm skeptical on Carlson...if he was a legit #1 worth of an $8+m deal, I'd think the capitals would move pieces around in order to keep him
Apr. 2, 2018 at 4:18 p.m.
Banned
My god people over value OEL.
Juice and palhal liked this.
Apr. 2, 2018 at 5:42 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Oh...well that I'll agree with..trading for a legit #1 dman will cost too much...you basically either draft one or trade for a younger top 4 guy and hope he develops into one. True #'1 almost never hit UFA. Even Chara, when signed, wasn't viewed by Ottawa as a #1. That's why I'm skeptical on Carlson...if he was a legit #1 worth of an $8+m deal, I'd think the capitals would move pieces around in order to keep him

Just looking ahead to 2019/20. If Nashville runs into a little cap problems and feel they more adequate Dmen, I wonder if Ryan Ellis might be good fit for the Leafs. Not saying he wouldn't be a good fit for anyone but Ellis is Hamilton boy....he might think the Leafs is a good spot to play. Players like New Englander Carlson you almost have to overpay them to leave their sweet spot. Same with Doughty, everything being equal, gotta believe he wants to live in LA. McDonaugh is an American, maybe the US is more appealing. It's getting players that truly want to play for your team, your city ....through good and bad, that's the guys you really want.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll