SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

No not that Karlsson. his next contract.

Apr. 5, 2018 at 9:24 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
William Karlsson. Is he going to get a mega deal? bridge deal? $6mil+ AAV? Traded!?

What do you guys think?

Considering he has arbitration rights,and I have a feeling VGK are going to want to see if Karlsson can do the same next year as well. My bet is he gets just a 1 year deal at $6.75mil.
Apr. 6, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.
Below Market Value
Since this is his breakout year, I would expect to see a bridge deal. While he will still probably hit 30 goals next season, he likely won't duplicate this performance, so that becomes a win-win for Vegas: he shows he can consistently score at a high level, and it drives down his price a bit.

Although they may want to lock him down long-term at a similar AAV to his linemates Smith and Marchessault. He'll likely get more than both, as he's a center and is very good defensively; probably something around $5.5-6.5 million on his long-term deal.

Vegas has got a lot of work to do on the contract signing side. Karlsson, Theodore, and Miller are all due sizable raises, plus decisions to be made on whether or not they want to bring back Perron and Neal. And then there's the whole will they/won't they sign Tavares side of things. Looks to be a busy offseason for George McPhee.
Blazingbat11 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2018 at 7:15 p.m.
HawksFan28
History shows he will get a crazy contract and history also shows in 2 years he wont be worth it... Of course I could be wrong, but it seems a player always has a career year when their contract is up - they get a mega deal then never sniff those numbers again -- until they're in the final year of their contract -- then they have a "rebound" season...... It's crazy.

Whats up with players having career years in the last year of their deal?

Yea, I know Karlsson is young but I really think he overachieved this season as the entire Vegas Knights team did - he will get 6M x 8 and probably will be a 50 point player - a 25/25 guy..

It must suck to be in that position as a GM. You know this guy just had a career year and you know he's not going to sniff that production again but you cant afford to lose him because the risk outweighs the reward....

If I was McPhee, I would offer 4.5M x 2 and wait to see if he's given an offer sheet, if he does then I would consider matching it - let the market dictate what Karlsson is worth rather than making a mistake. Karlsson is an RFA so it's not like he won't be compensated if some GM gives Karlsson a ridiculous offer... Give another GM a chance to make the mistake first.
Apr. 6, 2018 at 7:26 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: HawksFan28
History shows he will get a crazy contract and history also shows in 2 years he wont be worth it... Of course I could be wrong, but it seems a player always has a career year when their contract is up - they get a mega deal then never sniff those numbers again -- until they're in the final year of their contract -- then they have a "rebound" season...... It's crazy.

Whats up with players having career years in the last year of their deal?

Yea, I know Karlsson is young but I really think he overachieved this season as the entire Vegas Knights team did - he will get 6M x 8 and probably will be a 50 point player - a 25/25 guy..

It must suck to be in that position as a GM. You know this guy just had a career year and you know he's not going to sniff that production again but you cant afford to lose him because the risk outweighs the reward....

If I was McPhee, I would offer 4.5M x 2 and wait to see if he's given an offer sheet, if he does then I would consider matching it - let the market dictate what Karlsson is worth rather than making a mistake. Karlsson is an RFA so it's not like he won't be compensated if some GM gives Karlsson a ridiculous offer... Give another GM a chance to make the mistake first.

You could also argue from other GMs perspective to not offer sheet him at all for the very same reasons you stated. But yeah, I agree with everything you wrote. If McPhee is smart he just goes for a 1-2 year deal.

and Karlsson's market value will set itself, he has arbitration rights.
HawksFan28 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2018 at 7:40 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: Blazingbat11
You could also argue from other GMs perspective to not offer sheet him at all for the very same reasons you stated. But yeah, I agree with everything you wrote. If McPhee is smart he just goes for a 1-2 year deal.

and Karlsson's market value will set itself, he has arbitration rights.

Well if another team doesn't then Karlsson is forced to take what McPhee offered then.

I think a good offer would be 4 or 4.5 over 2 years. That way you can see if Karlsson is for real or not - then give him the big contract if he earns it... He's 25 so sign him until he's 27 (UFA).... I think that makes the most sense. And since Karlsson hasn't singed an extension that's probably what McPhee is thinking.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll