SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Final Awards Thread

Apr. 8, 2018 at 3:48 p.m.
Hart - Taylor Hall (NJD) - Claude Giroux (PHI) - Nathan MacKinnon (COL) - Nikita Kucherov (TBL) - Anze Kopitar (LAK)
Calder - Matt Barzal (NYI) - Clayton Keller (ARI) - Brock Boeser (VAN) - Kyle Conner (WPG) - Pierre-Luc Dubios (CBJ)
Vezina - Federick Andersen (TOR) - Andrei Vasilevskiy (TBL) - Pekka Rinne (NSH) - Sergei Bobrovsky (CBJ) - Connor Hellebuyck (WPG)
Norris - John Klingberg (DAL) - Victor Hedman (TBL) - John Carlson (WSH) - Erik Karlsson (OTT) - Tyson Barrie (COL)
Selke - Sean Couturier (PHI) - Anze Kopitar (LAK) - Sasha Barkov (FLA) - William Karlsson (VGK) - Mikael Backlund (CGY)
Byng - Ryan O'Reilly (BUF) - William Karlsson (VGK) - Mark Stone (OTT) - Auston Matthews (TOR) - Sasha Barkov (FLA)
Adams - Bruce Cassidy (BOS) - John Tortorella (CBJ) - Paul Maurice (WPG) - Gerald Gallant (VGK) - John Stevens (LAK)

Thread is intended to be used to facilitate intellectual and thoughtful discussions about the awards in general, as well as evaluate and assess what others have said.
Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:06 p.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Hart: Hall ( Mackinnon, Mcdavid)
Reasoning: point gap between other roster players played a vital role in my decision. Hall literally carried the team. Mackinnon had a little better support from landeskog and rantenen
Calder: Barzal ( Boeser, Conner)
No brainer
Vezina: Rinne ( Bobrovsky, Hellenbuyck)
Best season of his career
Norris: Hedman ( Klingberg, Burns)
Stood out a little more than the other 2. Played a consistent season
Selke: Kopitar ( Barkov, Bergeron)
90+ points and 200 ft game says it all
Byng: Karlsson W. ( Matthews, Gaudreau)
+50 really tipped it off
Adams: Gallant ( Cassidy, Hynes)
... duh...
Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:09 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Hart - Nathan Mackinnon (Hall, Giroux)
Calder - Mathew Barzal (Boeser, McAvoy)
Vezina - Andrei Vasilevskiy (Anderson, Rinne)
Norris - Drew Doughty (Hedman, Klingberg)
Selke - Anke Kopitar (Bergeron, Backlund)
Lady Byng - Auston Matthews (Karlsson, Debrincat)
Jack Adams - Wow, this is a hard one ... wait, no it's not: Gerard Gallant (Babcock, Cassidy)

GM of the year - David Poile (Sakic, McPhee)
Bill Masterton - Brian Boyle (Myers, Janmark)
rmay50 liked this.
Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Hart - Taylor Hall (NJD) - Claude Giroux (PHI) - Nathan MacKinnon (COL) - Nikita Kucherov (TBL) - Anze Kopitar (LAK)
Calder - Matt Barzal (NYI) - Clayton Keller (ARI) - Brock Boeser (VAN) - Kyle Conner (WPG) - Pierre-Luc Dubios (CBJ)
Vezina - Federick Andersen (TOR) - Andrei Vasilevskiy (TBL) - Pekka Rinne (NSH) - Sergei Bobrovsky (CBJ) - Connor Hellebuyck (WPG)
Norris - John Klingberg (DAL) - Victor Hedman (TBL) - John Carlson (WSH) - Erik Karlsson (OTT) - Tyson Barrie (COL)
Selke - Sean Couturier (PHI) - Anze Kopitar (LAK) - Sasha Barkov (FLA) - William Karlsson (VGK) - Mikael Backlund (CGY)
Byng - Ryan O'Reilly (BUF) - William Karlsson (VGK) - Mark Stone (OTT) - Auston Matthews (TOR) - Sasha Barkov (FLA)
Adams - Bruce Cassidy (BOS) - John Tortorella (CBJ) - Paul Maurice (WPG) - Gerald Gallant (VGK) - John Stevens (LAK)

Thread is intended to be used to facilitate intellectual and thoughtful discussions about the awards in general, as well as evaluate and assess what others have said.

Really curious why Cassidy wins over Gallant.
Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:11 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Also, why is Doughty not even on that list?
Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:24 p.m.
Hart: Hall (MacKinnon, Giroux) without the other two their teams arent in the playoffs. Without Hall new jersey think about it's chances of drafting Dahlin.
Calder: Barzal by a Mile. (McAvoy, Boeser,....Gourde)
Vezina: Rinne (Bob, Hellybuck) Vasy's second half dropped right off. Still not a bad first season as a starter considering they rode him real hard and didn't give him too much help defensively. Except for.....
Norris. Hedman (Doughty, Carlson) Hedman wins for the same season Hall wins the Hart. Tampa has not been good defensively all year. McD arrived too late.
Selke Kopitar (Berg, Barkov)
Byng Brayden Point (Karlsson, Mathews)
Lindsay Kucherov (McDavid Ovi)
GM: McPhee (Sakic Poile)

And the two that are almost 100%
Jack Adams: Gallant.
Masterton: The Boyler.
Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:42 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Also, why is Doughty not even on that list?

What has Gerald Gallant specifically done to facilitate in his team's success?
Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:46 p.m.
Another note I want everyone to entertain: how is a player who missed roughly 21 percentage of his games, Patrice Bergeron, demonstrated his ability to outperform players like Sean Couturier, Alexsander Barkov, etc.?

edit: in consideration for the Selke?
Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:47 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

What has Gerard Gallant specifically done to have anything to do with Drew Doughty? Sticking Out Tongue
Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:48 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

I don't know him so i couldn't tell you much, but they have so many players who were seen as 3rd/4th liners and 2rd pairing d-men, and he's turned them into star players.
Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:57 p.m.
I don't know him so i couldn't tell you much, but they have so many players who were seen as 3rd/4th liners and 2rd pairing d-men, and he's turned them into star players.

How has Gallant specifically "turned them into star players"? What has he done that is so intangible that another coach - Joe Sacco, Kris Knoblauch, etc. - couldn't have done?
Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:59 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
How has Gallant specifically "turned them into star players"? What has he done that is so intangible that another coach - Joe Sacco, Kris Knoblauch, etc. - couldn't have done?

Look how good Karlsson, Schmidt, etc are playing compared to previous years? He's given them bigger roles and helped them play way better.
Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:59 p.m.
Look how good Karlsson, Schmidt, etc are playing compared to previous years? He's given them bigger roles and helped them play way better.

Wouldn't those roles have been filled by them regardless if Gallant was the coach? Can you quantify "helped them play way better"?
Apr. 8, 2018 at 5:02 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Wouldn't those roles have been filled by them regardless if Gallant was the coach? Can you quantify "helped them play way better"?

Like i said, i don't know him, but usually if all the players who were supposed to be lower line players start playing like stars than the coach has to be pretty good.
Apr. 8, 2018 at 5:08 p.m.
Like i said, i don't know him, but usually if all the players who were supposed to be lower line players start playing like stars than the coach has to be pretty good.

I don't think that what your saying has any substance. Your looking at the product at the expansion draft and looking at the end result and saying that the coach is responsible for essentially all the development in the middle.

As I alluded to earlier, if another coach was in this position, under the model that you are suggesting, the result would be different. I say otherwise, specifically saying that William Karlsson would still be getting top line minutes and would have had a similar output under another coach. Nate Schmidt would still be getting his minutes under a different coach.

What I am giving Gallant credit for is how well he has sustained that output over the corse of this year. While I do indeed affirm that a similar output would result with another coach, Gallant has achieved that output, and thus he gets my 4th place vote.
Apr. 8, 2018 at 6:27 p.m.
Another note I want everyone to entertain: how is a player who missed roughly 21 percentage of his games, Patrice Bergeron, demonstrated his ability to outperform players like Sean Couturier, Alexsander Barkov, etc.?

edit: in consideration for the Selke?

I don't think he'll win but he'll pick up votes on reputation and the Bruins making the playoffs. You're not picking the best defensive forward you're picking who's gonna get voted the best defensive forward. That's why Gallant is gonna get votes too.
Apr. 8, 2018 at 6:53 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I don't think that what your saying has any substance. Your looking at the product at the expansion draft and looking at the end result and saying that the coach is responsible for essentially all the development in the middle.

As I alluded to earlier, if another coach was in this position, under the model that you are suggesting, the result would be different. I say otherwise, specifically saying that William Karlsson would still be getting top line minutes and would have had a similar output under another coach. Nate Schmidt would still be getting his minutes under a different coach.

What I am giving Gallant credit for is how well he has sustained that output over the corse of this year. While I do indeed affirm that a similar output would result with another coach, Gallant has achieved that output, and thus he gets my 4th place vote.

Well George McPhee found the right players for them, but Gallant is a part of it too. But it's hard to know which coaches are the best when you don't know them.
Apr. 8, 2018 at 7:43 p.m.
maybe im just really biased but i think jared bednar deserves to be considered for the jack adams award. a 47 point improvement from last season by guiding mackinnon, rantanen, and barrie to breakout offensive seasons and greatly increasing special teams success. imo he has completely changed the negative atmosphere that surrounded the avs last season and has created a playoff team. if thats not worthy of jack adams consideration idk what is
Apr. 8, 2018 at 9:23 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: moli92
maybe im just really biased but i think jared bednar deserves to be considered for the jack adams award. a 47 point improvement from last season by guiding mackinnon, rantanen, and barrie to breakout offensive seasons and greatly increasing special teams success. imo he has completely changed the negative atmosphere that surrounded the avs last season and has created a playoff team. if thats not worthy of jack adams consideration idk what is

Well Gerard Gallant's team had a 109 point improvement from last year.
nobody liked this.
Apr. 8, 2018 at 10:17 p.m.
Well Gerard Gallant's team had a 109 point improvement from last year.

oh damn you got me there
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Apr. 9, 2018 at 1:33 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Hart - Nathan Mackinnon (Hall, McDavid)
Norris - Victor Hedman (Doughty, Carlson)
Vezina - Pekka Rinne (Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy)
Calder - Mathew Barzal (Keller, Connor)
Selke - Anze Kopitar (Barkov, Bergeron)
Adams - Gerard Gallant (Hynes, Bednar)

And don't even bother trying to argue with @phillyjabroni on anything. He's right, you are wrong. End of story. That's how things work around here shakes head
UpsideDownQue liked this.
Apr. 9, 2018 at 1:49 p.m.

You could say the same thing about any coach though. How do you know if Cassidy had anything to do with Boston's success? How do you know that Boston wouldn't have had the same success with another coach? There's no way to know for sure. How can you give Cassidy credit for Boston's success but not give Gallant equivalent credit for Vegas' success? You need to be consistent with how you're evaluating them.
Apr. 9, 2018 at 2:04 p.m.
Hart - Nathan MacKinnon (Hall, Giroux) - so many to choose from
Norris - John Carlson (Hedman, Klingberg) - honestly doughty should be on here too but there can only be 3
Vezina - Pekka Rinne (Hellebuyck, Fleury) - Rinne wins obviously
Calder - Mathew Barzal (Connor, Boeser) - Barzal wins obviously
Selke - Anze Kopitar (Couturier, Barkov) - hard to keep bergy off the list (even with his injury) but i think these guys deserve it more
Adams - Gerard Gallant (Bednar, Hynes) - hard to argue a case against any of these coaches, gallant wins by a hair
Apr. 9, 2018 at 2:07 p.m.
Hart: Kopitar(Hall, Giroux, Mackinon, Malkin)
Norris: Doughty(Hedmen, Klinburg, Carlson, Jones)
Vezina: Rinne(Vaselevsky, Helleybuck, Andersen, Rask)
Calder: Barzal(Boeser, Keller, McCavoy, Connor)
Selke: Kopitar(Bergeron, Barkov, Kadri, Courturier)
Byng: Matthews(Stone, Barkov, Gaudreau, O'Reilly)
Adams: Gallant(Cassidy, Cooper, Babcock, Laviolette)
rmay50 liked this.
Apr. 9, 2018 at 2:22 p.m.
Quoting: moli92
You could say the same thing about any coach though. How do you know if Cassidy had anything to do with Boston's success? How do you know that Boston wouldn't have had the same success with another coach? There's no way to know for sure. How can you give Cassidy credit for Boston's success but not give Gallant equivalent credit for Vegas' success? You need to be consistent with how you're evaluating them.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the popular narrative is that Gallant should win it, yet nobody has a specific reason for it. An issue with the expansion team is that, in the absence of Gallant, how much different is their aggregate output? Again, I want to be able to understand what Gallant has done to help foster his team's success.

Cassidy has been able to deploy his young studs in situations that have been beneficial to their team, perhaps more so if say Dave Hakstol was the coach. His model works well for his young players.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll