SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

2018 Boston Bruins Playoff Thread

Apr. 10, 2018 at 11:05 a.m.
BreKel
This thread will be dedicated to discuss the whole playoffs for Boston. However far they go, chime in here to talk about the playoffs. Just in case you prefer a friendlier atmosphere. I know the main threads to discuss this can sometimes get annoying. They definitely get like that on other sites that have main areas. So if you want to come here to chat with other Bruins fans about the playoffs, do so here.

The Bruins Team forum here on CF is definitely the most active of the team forums. We have roughly 400 more posts than the next closest team. That's awesome. Continue to post if you're a Bruins fan, sign up if you're new, and spread the word. I know the site is definitely popular for it's ACGM thread, but I think team threads were a great add, and give fans another place to talk about their team with other fans.
Apr. 10, 2018 at 11:28 a.m.
BreKel
So with that, Boston Bruins will be playing Toronto in the Easten Conference Quarterfinals. Cassidy said yesterday that Rick Nash, Riley Nash, and Sean Kuraly are all progressing and could return for Game #1. I will say that getting Riley Nash back may have the most impact of the three. He should have won the 7th Player Award this year for the Bruins, and his lost has been a big one for the team. He's been extremely important for the Bruins this whole season. He had a career year for points, and I would say that he's one of the better defensive centers in the NHL. He solidified the 3rd line, and actually played great when he had to move up when Bergeron was out. Strength down the middle is always important, and we could use that.

That said, getting both Rick Nash and even Sean Kuraly would be excellent. Debrusk/Krejci/Nash, when all were together, were a solid 2nd line. They were very good in possession and DeBrusk, particularly, seemed to really benefit from Rick Nash's game. Going against Toronto who has a lot of forward talent, getting our own talented 2nd liner back wold be a huge add and give us a difficult top 6 to compete against. Kuraly has been apart of one of the better 4th lines in the league and his re-addition for the Bruins and adds size, speed, and grit to that line. Against the fast skating Leafs team, adding a guy with wheels and size would be nice. Kuraly's straight line speed is very good. I will say, Wingels and Acciari both stepped it up at the end of the season (despite the mediocre overall play from the team, so that would be a difficult decision).

My playoff lineup, if everyone is healthy:

FORWARD LINES:
Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Rick Nash
Heinen -- Riley Nash -- Backes
Schaller -- Kuraly -- Acciari/Wingels

Donato = Extra #1 if an injury or poor play occurs from anyone in the top 9.
Wingels/Acciari = Extra #2 if an injury or poor play occurs from anyone in bottom 6
Gionta = Extra #2.5 if an injury or poor play occurs from anyone in top 12, and you want to add a veteran presence.

Czarnik, Szwarz = Worst case situations

DEFENSE:
Chara -- McAvoy
Krug -- Miller
Grzelcyk -- McQuaid

Holden = Extra #1 for injury or poor play from bottom pairing

Postma, Cross = Worst case situations, Cross is a "please no" situation.

GOALIES
Rask
Khudobin
Apr. 11, 2018 at 10:17 a.m.
Before anyone freaks out that Donato might not play game 1, just remember that Seguin only played in 13 of Boston 25 games during their SC run. Donato is young and talented, but the playoffs are a whole different animal of a game.
BreKel and Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Apr. 13, 2018 at 10:05 a.m.
BreKel
Well that was a great start to the series. Kadri is a dirty POS and should easily get 2 games. Bruins need to keep up the play going into game 2 tomorrow night. Toronto is going to come out strong.
Apr. 14, 2018 at 9:11 p.m.
Habs
The Bruins are looking like a real cup threat. I knew they'd contend, but they might be the favourite.
Apr. 14, 2018 at 11:53 p.m.
Quoting: OpaqueZoo
The Bruins are looking like a real cup threat. I knew they'd contend, but they might be the favourite.

They look real good, but I want to see how they do against a "heavier/tougher" team. Nothing against TOR, but the team is soft and that's why this series is so one sided for now. Boston is just flat out grinding the TOR skill guys down to the point where they don't want to take a hit to make the play.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 2:20 p.m.
Quoting: BreKel
So with that, Boston Bruins will be playing Toronto in the Easten Conference Quarterfinals. Cassidy said yesterday that Rick Nash, Riley Nash, and Sean Kuraly are all progressing and could return for Game #1. I will say that getting Riley Nash back may have the most impact of the three. He should have won the 7th Player Award this year for the Bruins, and his lost has been a big one for the team. He's been extremely important for the Bruins this whole season. He had a career year for points, and I would say that he's one of the better defensive centers in the NHL. He solidified the 3rd line, and actually played great when he had to move up when Bergeron was out. Strength down the middle is always important, and we could use that.

That said, getting both Rick Nash and even Sean Kuraly would be excellent. Debrusk/Krejci/Nash, when all were together, were a solid 2nd line. They were very good in possession and DeBrusk, particularly, seemed to really benefit from Rick Nash's game. Going against Toronto who has a lot of forward talent, getting our own talented 2nd liner back wold be a huge add and give us a difficult top 6 to compete against. Kuraly has been apart of one of the better 4th lines in the league and his re-addition for the Bruins and adds size, speed, and grit to that line. Against the fast skating Leafs team, adding a guy with wheels and size would be nice. Kuraly's straight line speed is very good. I will say, Wingels and Acciari both stepped it up at the end of the season (despite the mediocre overall play from the team, so that would be a difficult decision).

My playoff lineup, if everyone is healthy:

FORWARD LINES:
Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Rick Nash
Heinen -- Riley Nash -- Backes
Schaller -- Kuraly -- Acciari/Wingels

Donato = Extra #1 if an injury or poor play occurs from anyone in the top 9.
Wingels/Acciari = Extra #2 if an injury or poor play occurs from anyone in bottom 6
Gionta = Extra #2.5 if an injury or poor play occurs from anyone in top 12, and you want to add a veteran presence.

Czarnik, Szwarz = Worst case situations

DEFENSE:
Chara -- McAvoy
Krug -- Miller
Grzelcyk -- McQuaid

Holden = Extra #1 for injury or poor play from bottom pairing

Postma, Cross = Worst case situations, Cross is a "please no" situation.

GOALIES
Rask
Khudobin

You can add Kyle Keyser as the 3rd goalie. Exciting for this kid to join the team for the 1st round playoffs!! Will make him work harder to better himself for the future. Just another key prospect for the Bruins, and one we need to keep an eye on as Rask gets older!!
Apr. 20, 2018 at 2:24 p.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
Before anyone freaks out that Donato might not play game 1, just remember that Seguin only played in 13 of Boston 25 games during their SC run. Donato is young and talented, but the playoffs are a whole different animal of a game.

I'm confident that if they needed him to play, he would be fine. He, like DeBrusk, is the offspring of NHL'ers and they have been raised/told how much different playoff hockey is and how you need to be much more responsible of a hockey player out there.

I'm only a little freaked because I took Ryan in 2 draft pools I entered and got him in the last round because he wasn't high up on the teams stat list and others drafting weren't as familiar with him as I am!!! But, Rick Nash is the right choice when healthy.....
Apr. 20, 2018 at 2:25 p.m.
Quoting: OpaqueZoo

Nashville looks really good too. And don't forget the Pens as Crosby is on fire!!
Apr. 20, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
Huge win last night! They really need to "bring it" and close it out Saturday so they can rest the banged up guys.

Question for all of you.....since Bergy is banged up, do you tell him to sit on Saturday for more rest or do you play him trying to end the series so the whole team can rest!? Do the Bruins really NEED Bergy to play to beat the Leafs at home??
Apr. 20, 2018 at 3:08 p.m.
BreKel
Quoting: PaulDunnill
You can add Kyle Keyser as the 3rd goalie. Exciting for this kid to join the team for the 1st round playoffs!! Will make him work harder to better himself for the future. Just another key prospect for the Bruins, and one we need to keep an eye on as Rask gets older!!

If I had to guess, Keyser is up with Boston as the "3rd goalie" just to be around the team a bit. If Rask and/or Dobby went down, McIntyre gets called up.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 3:10 p.m.
Quoting: PaulDunnill
I'm confident that if they needed him to play, he would be fine. He, like DeBrusk, is the offspring of NHL'ers and they have been raised/told how much different playoff hockey is and how you need to be much more responsible of a hockey player out there.

I'm only a little freaked because I took Ryan in 2 draft pools I entered and got him in the last round because he wasn't high up on the teams stat list and others drafting weren't as familiar with him as I am!!! But, Rick Nash is the right choice when healthy.....

He played game two and saw 9:24 of action. Seemed overwhelmed TBH, but that's expected for a kid with very little NHL experience. An off-season of pro development and a year in the NHL under his belt, he'll be fine for future playoffs.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 3:13 p.m.
Quoting: BreKel
If I had to guess, Keyser is up with Boston as the "3rd goalie" just to be around the team a bit. If Rask and/or Dobby went down, McIntyre gets called up.

Ya I think right now he wont see time in PRO, so they figure its better to have the extra body upstairs and Keyser can get an idea of what its going to take to be a pro. He'll head back to the OHL next season and then compete with Vladar most likely in 2019-2020 for the PRO starting job. Swayman is the wild card in everything though. The kid had a fantastic year and has the tools to be Rask's successor.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 1:36 a.m.
Nice win!!
BreKel liked this.
May 1, 2018 at 3:59 p.m.
any thoughts on yesterday's loss? personally, I was super disappointed with the long stretches without a SOG and another wasted opportunity on a 5-3 pp

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll