SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Other Leagues

Potential KHL Scenarios

Apr. 10, 2018 at 1:20 p.m.
MakingMoves121
Edited Apr. 10, 2018 at 2:28 p.m.
There are reports of the KHL undergoing a massive change, the question is what kind of change?

What do you think? Here's mine.

Scenario 1: Usual Suspects (24 teams)
- Lada Togliatti, HC Yugra, and Severstal Cherepovets will drop down to lower league.

Scenario 2: No More Europe (24 teams)
- Minsk and Riga go on hiatus
- Jokerit goes back to Liiga
- Slovan rejoins Slovak Extraliga
- Add Uzbekistan team from Tashkent

Scenario 3: End of Far-East Movement (24 teams)
- Amur, Admiral, and Kunlun Red Star leave KHL

Scenario 4: Growth to 32 teams with European Conference
- Euro Conference: Helsinki, Bratislava, Riga, Minsk, Stockholm, Malmo, Prague, Vienna, Berlin, Cologne, Zurich, Geneva, Bern, London, Zagreb, Oslo
- Russia Conference: Astana, St. Petersburg, Moscow CSKA, Moscow Dyanmo, Yaroslavl, Sochi, Moscow Spartak, Kazan, Ufa, Chelabynsk, Magnitogorsk, Omsk, Novosibirsk, Tashkent, Nizhny Novgorod, Yekaterinburg, Nizhnekamsk

Scenario 5: Gone, but not forgotten/

Scenario 6: Other
Apr. 10, 2018 at 2:51 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: MakingMoves121
There are reports of the KHL undergoing a massive change, the question is what kind of change?

What do you think? Here's mine.

Scenario 1: Usual Suspects (24 teams)
- Lada Togliatti, HC Yugra, and Severstal Cherepovets will drop down to lower league.

Scenario 2: No More Europe (24 teams)
- Minsk and Riga go on hiatus
- Jokerit goes back to Liiga
- Slovan rejoins Slovak Extraliga
- Add Uzbekistan team from Tashkent

Scenario 3: End of Far-East Movement (24 teams)
- Amur, Admiral, and Kunlun Red Star leave KHL

Scenario 4: Growth to 32 teams with European Conference
- Euro Conference: Helsinki, Bratislava, Riga, Minsk, Stockholm, Malmo, Prague, Vienna, Berlin, Cologne, Zurich, Geneva, Bern, London, Zagreb, Oslo
- Russia Conference: Astana, St. Petersburg, Moscow CSKA, Moscow Dyanmo, Yaroslavl, Sochi, Moscow Spartak, Kazan, Ufa, Chelabynsk, Magnitogorsk, Omsk, Novosibirsk, Tashkent, Nizhny Novgorod, Yekaterinburg, Nizhnekamsk

Scenario 5: Gone, but not forgotten/

Scenario 6: Other
The KHL already bumped Lada and Yugra down to the VHL at the BoG meeting in March: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=91955
Apr. 13, 2018 at 3:49 p.m.
MakingMoves121
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
The KHL already bumped Lada and Yugra down to the VHL at the BoG meeting in March: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=91955

Do you think they will kick out another team or possibly add?
Apr. 14, 2018 at 1:46 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Do you think they will kick out another team or possibly add?
Depends. I only know so much about the state of each KHL team's finances, but the league has, like, no parity at all. If you listen to Slava Malamud, he thinks it's all rigged in favor of SKA, but all you really have to do is follow the money (SKA's owned by the export arm of Gazprom, and CSKA's owned by Rosneft; both are oil companies, with Gazprom being the biggest company in Russia and Rosneft the 3rd-biggest).

I wouldn't be surprised if they downsized further, but it's going to be Russian teams. Jokerit probably makes a ton of money for the KHL, and, once Kunlun Red Star becomes an established team that wins on a regular basis, the KHL will get a flood of money from the untapped Chinese market. I've seen rumors bandied about of a London expansion team, too, so they're definitely looking to add European teams.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 9:50 a.m.
MakingMoves121
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
Depends. I only know so much about the state of each KHL team's finances, but the league has, like, no parity at all. If you listen to Slava Malamud, he thinks it's all rigged in favor of SKA, but all you really have to do is follow the money (SKA's owned by the export arm of Gazprom, and CSKA's owned by Rosneft; both are oil companies, with Gazprom being the biggest company in Russia and Rosneft the 3rd-biggest).

I wouldn't be surprised if they downsized further, but it's going to be Russian teams. Jokerit probably makes a ton of money for the KHL, and, once Kunlun Red Star becomes an established team that wins on a regular basis, the KHL will get a flood of money from the untapped Chinese market. I've seen rumors bandied about of a London expansion team, too, so they're definitely looking to add European teams.

I've heard of London expansion but I cannot see that being a success unless more euro teams are added to circuit to alleviate travel. For success, the league needs franchises that meet all general business and competitive needs. That's why I like my 4th Scenario, something that will also get the top unsigned/minor league talent from NA to come over.
Apr. 17, 2018 at 4:20 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
I've heard of London expansion but I cannot see that being a success unless more euro teams are added to circuit to alleviate travel. For success, the league needs franchises that meet all general business and competitive needs. That's why I like my 4th Scenario, something that will also get the top unsigned/minor league talent from NA to come over.
The KHL needs to get its Russian house in order first before they consider really expanding into Europe. But, yeah, European teams that are financially stable are key to future success for the KHL. There've been many rumors over the years of European teams joining, but few have succeeded.

I wouldn't dump Kunlun Red Star, either. The Chinese market is the Wild West of sports. Few major sports leagues have broken into China, and there're too many people in China for it to not be worthwhile.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll