SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2018 Playoffs discussion thread

Jul. 1, 2018 at 6:22 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
No, i don't think either team trades either player to any team.

I disagree about Panarin. He won't stay in Columbus. He'll test FA. So, probably Columbus will trade him to get some assests or another very good player who wants to stay there.
Jul. 1, 2018 at 7:12 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso
I disagree about Panarin. He won't stay in Columbus. He'll test FA. So, probably Columbus will trade him to get some assests or another very good player who wants to stay there.

What makes you think he doesn't want to stay in Columbus? He doesn't want to talk contract YET. That doesn't mean he doesn't want to at all.
Jul. 1, 2018 at 9:58 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
What makes you think he doesn't want to stay in Columbus? He doesn't want to talk contract YET. That doesn't mean he doesn't want to at all.

If you google it, you'll many web sites speculating that he wants to test FA. He wants to break the bank. Obviously Columbus will try to convince him to stay. But, at this moment, it seems like Columbus will have to trade him to get something in return instead of lose him for nothing.

We'll see...
Jul. 1, 2018 at 11:44 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
If you google it, you'll many web sites speculating that he wants to test FA. He wants to break the bank. Obviously Columbus will try to convince him to stay. But, at this moment, it seems like Columbus will have to trade him to get something in return instead of lose him for nothing.

We'll see...

Do all upcoming UFAs get traded? No!!!. Contending teams keep their UFAs and even acquire upcoming UFAs for a Cup run. Only on sports trading sites do "Armchair GMs" think it necessary to trade get rid of upcoming UFAs. If that was the case, in October all 90 upcoming UFAs would be traded, but where would they go, because no one would want an upcoming UFA.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:15 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

We'll see...

It's too early to move him at least. People are just saying he doesn't want to sign at all because they've heard he doesn't want to re-sign YET, so they take that as meaning he doesn't want to re-sign AT ALL. They're not moving him this offseason at least. Too early to know about the TDL.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 8:50 a.m.
Let's go Pens!
It's too early to move him at least. People are just saying he doesn't want to sign at all because they've heard he doesn't want to re-sign YET, so they take that as meaning he doesn't want to re-sign AT ALL. They're not moving him this offseason at least. Too early to know about the TDL.

That's something that I agree with you. Columbus will probably wait till the last moment (TD) to decide to trade him or not. They don't need to trade him before TD. Maybe till there they can convince him to stay. But I won't be shocked at all if they need to trade him.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 8:53 a.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: palhal
Do all upcoming UFAs get traded? No!!!. Contending teams keep their UFAs and even acquire upcoming UFAs for a Cup run. Only on sports trading sites do "Armchair GMs" think it necessary to trade get rid of upcoming UFAs. If that was the case, in October all 90 upcoming UFAs would be traded, but where would they go, because no one would want an upcoming UFA.

That's not what I said. I've never said that Columbus need to trade Panarin RIGHT NOW or not even before the TD. Easy, palhal. You're becoming angry for nothing.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:02 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
That's not what I said. I've never said that Columbus need to trade Panarin RIGHT NOW or not even before the TD. Easy, palhal. You're becoming angry for nothing.

Sorry William, it wasn't really directly at you. Folks on this site, just go nuts thinking they must get return for any upcoming UFAs. The object of teams is still to win and if means going with their UFAs past TDL so be it.
Seen a lot of "hate" by Isles fans (on another site) towards Tavares. Gee, I guy uses his CBA right to be a UFA, and they blame him for leaving the Isles.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:27 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: palhal
Sorry William, it wasn't really directly at you. Folks on this site, just go nuts thinking they must get return for any upcoming UFAs. The object of teams is still to win and if means going with their UFAs past TDL so be it.
Seen a lot of "hate" by Isles fans (on another site) towards Tavares. Gee, I guy uses his CBA right to be a UFA, and they blame him for leaving the Isles.

If JT had signed with the Sharks, Bruins, Stars, or whoever, i may be one of those fans. However, the fact that he'd always wanted to play for the Leafs makes me not hate his decision as much. It was down to the Isles and the Leafs at the end, not the Leafs and the Sharks.
Jul. 19, 2018 at 9:21 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Playoffs this season is full of surprises to me.

The most impressive, in my opinion, is VGK (Again!!!). Who you guys bet they would leading the series 3x0 against an experience and tough team like Kings?? I'm sure almost anyone put a 4x0 or even a 4x1 win for the Knights over Kings. Probably most ones put Kings winning the series (I'm one of those guys), because of their experience and because they have guys like Doughty, Kopitar and Quick, a goalie who raises in playoffs. Ok, all the 3 games are pretty much equal, decided by just one goal. Fleury has been fantastic again in playoffs defending 96 of 99 shots, putting behind his bad numbers in playoffs till last season. He's the X-Factor for Vegas. But the fact is most of us was wrong about VGK (Again!!!) and they continue to make history.

Another surprise to me is Sharks leading their series agains Ducks 3x0 either. In my bracket I put Sharks over Ducks, but in a pretty much balanced series. 4x3 win to be more specific. And after an embarassing defeat in game 3 in San Jose, it's probable that Sharks sweep the series. And I'm sure that almost anyone put a 4x0 or even a 4x1 win to any of both in this series. The X-Factor in Sharks favour to me was Evander Kane acquisition. Sharks have been a much better team offensively since he comes to their team. They already were a very good team defensively and now they are very good offensively either. I consider them a contender, specially because Jones has been so damn good since late in regular season.

The last big surprise (the less one, in my opinion) is Jackets leading the series against Capitals after 2 games in Washington. It won't be a surprise if Jackets win this series, because they're one of the hottest teams since trade deadline. Jackets acquisitions made them a much better team bringing more depth to a team that had a lack of that. The X-Factor in playoffs to them, in my opinion, is their superstar goalie, Bobrovski. If he's capable to keep his hockey level high, Jackets can be considered as a contender. They aren't a stellar like Pens, Capitals and Lightining, but they don't have any great weakness. So, they're a tough team to beat and I think it's very unlikely that Capitals rally in this series against them, specially because Capitals have serious mental issues in playoffs. Every single season they have a talented team, but they don't have mental toughness enough to reach Stanley Cup or Conference Finals. Seriously, I'm so thankful to not be a Caps fan. They suffer more than ANY other fan in ANY other league. You can think about Browns fans in NFL, but they never have a competitive team, so their expectations are always pretty damn low. That's surely not Capitals case. Idk if Ovechkin will hang on again after another tough series lost in playoffs, if that be confirmed as it seems to. I wouldn't be surprise if he decides to come back to Russia this time. Looks like another tough winter is coming for the Washington fans...(yes, I'm a GoT fan).

Just looking back at old comments and saw this lol.
Jul. 20, 2018 at 10:44 a.m.
Let's go Pens!
Just looking back at old comments and saw this lol.

In my defense, at this point, even the Caps fans were thinking like me. lol
Jul. 20, 2018 at 1:06 p.m.
Below Market Value
Playoffs are over. I think we can lay this thread to rest.
Jul. 20, 2018 at 2:25 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Playoffs are over. I think we can lay this thread to rest.

We might bring it back next year but you're right. I was just looking through older comments and i found that.
Apr. 1, 2019 at 12:38 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
10 days until the playoffs! (Or less, depending on which time zone you're in.)
Apr. 6, 2019 at 2:53 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
4 more days ... matchups will be known by tonight (or possibly after midnight ET, but that's still tonight where I live).
Apr. 7, 2019 at 3:33 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Columbus Blue Jackets
Boston Bruins vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
Washington Capitals vs. Carolina Hurricanes
New York Islanders vs. Pittsburgh Penguins
Nashville Predators vs. Dallas Stars
Winnipeg Jets vs. St. Louis Blues
Calgary Flames vs. Colorado Avalanche
San Jose Sharks vs. Vegas Golden Knights
Apr. 8, 2019 at 10:25 a.m.
Black Lives Matter