Forums/Armchair-GM

Thoughts on Game 1 + Lines for Game 2

Created by: krakowitz
Team: 2017-18 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 13, 2018
Published: Apr. 13, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
My biggest takeaway from this game is that the Jackets can open up seams in our defense very easily. We need a lot more structure in the zone and play the body, not the puck. Brooks Orpik cannot make stupid turnovers and fail to clear out the crease. He absolutely needs to be sat.

The Caps absolutely won the middle of the ice tonight. But Columbus was able to control the wings much better than I would've ever expected them to. We're going to need an answer for Artemi Panarin, or just something to limit him. We gave him so much space entering the zone. I want Orlov and Niskanen on the ice whenever possible against them.

Grubauer didn't play terrible, but he really wasn't tested. I can't exactly blame him for the goals that were scored, although a couple were stoppable. I'd go back to him for Game 2, but if we fall in that one, it's time to bring in Holtby.

We need more speed on the forward liens. Cleaner zone entries are going to be crucial. Ryan Murray gave us a ton of issues tonight as well, more so than Werenski did. Oshie is going to have to be more involved as well. He seemed to be shying away from plays, which is very unlike him. I'd also be looking to activate the D more when Ovechkin is out there, trying to open up something for him. He didn't really have a quality 5 on 5 chance in this game.

Gersich and Beagle in, Connolly and Chiasson out. These lines are also assuming Kempny is still out. Yes, I'd put Bowey in over Orpik. He's mobile with a good first pass, and I'd trust him with around 14-16 minutes.

I'd also just like to add that right now, the shutdown play of someone like NIklas Hjalmarsson would be fantastic. But ya know, it's not like I was hoping we'd add him at the deadline or anything.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
27$75,000,000$70,795,523$4,978$765,000$4,204,477
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
UFA - 8
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 8
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$660,000$660,000
RW
UFA - 1
$833,750$833,750 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
UFA - 6
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 2
$3,966,667$3,966,667
RD
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$703,333$703,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 13, 2018 at 2:27 a.m.
That defense is very weak. Understand the reasoning but there is no way The Caps are going to sit Orpik with Kempny out.

The Jackets have a distinct advantage on the backend and it is showing. Should be a fun series.
Apr. 13, 2018 at 2:38 a.m.
Beagle's presence was definitely missed tonight. I hope he is ready to go in Game 2 because he would have been huge on the PK tonight. I think the top 9 lines are good (Devo had a good game in my opinion even when he didn't have the puck). If Wilson gets a suspension from the hit on Wennberg then Id say put Devo on the top line, and add Gersich to the 3rd line. However if Wilson is only fined, then keep the top 9 the same, and take out Chiasson when Beagle enters the lineup. I'd love to see Gersich play but I don't think he has quite enough experience or know the system well enough to be given a regular playoff spot. Next year after he has a season under his belt, then he should get the playing time. Connolly did score 15G this year so that's why I'd leave him in.

However Id keep Orpik in over Bowey. I know he didn't clear Vanek out of the crease on the 2nd goal but I felt like Grubi could have played that a bit better too and maybe with Jay in the lineup Dubois wouldn't have had all that time to make that pass to Vanek. As far as I can tell that was Orpiks big mistake tonight. However a younger defensive defenseman should be a target this off season in order to get the Orpik off the ice because that is the biggest hole I think the Caps have, is defense. But with Kempny likely having a concussion, Id say his spot is replaced with Djoos since he's played more than Bowey.

As for the goalies, Id play Holtby in Game 2. That way he gets a home start and can hopefully feed off the crowd a bit. I think a rotating the goalies could be a good thing, it keeps them fresh, but I think it could also keep Columbus off their game a bit since they won't be "used to" Grubauer as the series continues. They won't learn his tendencies as much that way I think? The only bad thing that would come out of this is neither goalie could get into a groove and maybe that would mess with the team dynamic, I don't know. But given the recent playoff history, riding Holtby didn't help us advance and so maybe it is time to try something else, keep the pressure from building? And the success to enter the playoffs worked well with them rotating. So if the playoffs are just like game 1 and game 82, then the rotation might keep them going like they did in the regular season.

Id like to think Washington shutting down Panarin and Dubois should be the top priority on defense and should see either 6/74 or 9/2 out when that line is out because that is their top line and Panarin had a 3pt game tonight. Id like to focus on them and shut them down (again Beagle would greatly help this) and make Vanek/Foligno/Jones beat us since they are a bit older, not as explosive, and didn't score as much (with the exception of Jones in this case, I only through him in this category due to him being defense).

Hopefully they get the special teams working again and come back and take Game 2! As well as Beags dressing. It was promising to see Vrana, DSP, Kuzy, Burky all playing hard and contributing to the score sheet without having to rely on Ovechkin and Backstrom. The Caps outplayed CBJ and with a few tweaks I think they can string some wins together if they play disciplined.

GO CAPS!
Apr. 13, 2018 at 12:53 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: Jacketsman61
That defense is very weak. Understand the reasoning but there is no way The Caps are going to sit Orpik with Kempny out.

The Jackets have a distinct advantage on the backend and it is showing. Should be a fun series.

I know they aren't going to put Bowey in over Orpik, but it makes sense. Orpik made three or four boneheaded turnovers in his own zone, which is unacceptable. He had poor positioning on penalty kills and got manhandled in the crease multiple times, not just on the Vanek goal.

Jones and Murray both gave the Caps a lot of trouble, and we have no counter for it right now. We need to start opening seams up in the middle of the ice, especially on zone entries. And little things like saucer passes to avoid passes being intercepted would go a long way. But kudos to Columbus, they were able to control the middle of the ice defensively and generate offense from the wings.
Apr. 13, 2018 at 12:55 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: ColoradoCaps
Beagle's presence was definitely missed tonight. I hope he is ready to go in Game 2 because he would have been huge on the PK tonight. I think the top 9 lines are good (Devo had a good game in my opinion even when he didn't have the puck). If Wilson gets a suspension from the hit on Wennberg then Id say put Devo on the top line, and add Gersich to the 3rd line. However if Wilson is only fined, then keep the top 9 the same, and take out Chiasson when Beagle enters the lineup. I'd love to see Gersich play but I don't think he has quite enough experience or know the system well enough to be given a regular playoff spot. Next year after he has a season under his belt, then he should get the playing time. Connolly did score 15G this year so that's why I'd leave him in.

However Id keep Orpik in over Bowey. I know he didn't clear Vanek out of the crease on the 2nd goal but I felt like Grubi could have played that a bit better too and maybe with Jay in the lineup Dubois wouldn't have had all that time to make that pass to Vanek. As far as I can tell that was Orpiks big mistake tonight. However a younger defensive defenseman should be a target this off season in order to get the Orpik off the ice because that is the biggest hole I think the Caps have, is defense. But with Kempny likely having a concussion, Id say his spot is replaced with Djoos since he's played more than Bowey.

As for the goalies, Id play Holtby in Game 2. That way he gets a home start and can hopefully feed off the crowd a bit. I think a rotating the goalies could be a good thing, it keeps them fresh, but I think it could also keep Columbus off their game a bit since they won't be "used to" Grubauer as the series continues. They won't learn his tendencies as much that way I think? The only bad thing that would come out of this is neither goalie could get into a groove and maybe that would mess with the team dynamic, I don't know. But given the recent playoff history, riding Holtby didn't help us advance and so maybe it is time to try something else, keep the pressure from building? And the success to enter the playoffs worked well with them rotating. So if the playoffs are just like game 1 and game 82, then the rotation might keep them going like they did in the regular season.

Id like to think Washington shutting down Panarin and Dubois should be the top priority on defense and should see either 6/74 or 9/2 out when that line is out because that is their top line and Panarin had a 3pt game tonight. Id like to focus on them and shut them down (again Beagle would greatly help this) and make Vanek/Foligno/Jones beat us since they are a bit older, not as explosive, and didn't score as much (with the exception of Jones in this case, I only through him in this category due to him being defense).

Hopefully they get the special teams working again and come back and take Game 2! As well as Beags dressing. It was promising to see Vrana, DSP, Kuzy, Burky all playing hard and contributing to the score sheet without having to rely on Ovechkin and Backstrom. The Caps outplayed CBJ and with a few tweaks I think they can string some wins together if they play disciplined.

GO CAPS!

Connolly doesn't generate any offense. He is simply the beneficiary of his linemates. I'd yank him and put in someone productive with the puck like Gersich, who forechecks hard and has good offensive upside, where Connolly has little.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll