Forums/Armchair-GM

Where do the Stars go from here

Created by: lavsim96
Team: 2018-19 Dallas Stars
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 13, 2018
Published: Apr. 13, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
There are many good coaches out there right now but i feel like Dallas will look very closely at Willie Desjardins since (if i am not mistaken) he won the calder cup with the AHL squad of the Stars so there are many ties and bonds between him and the organisation.
Other options: Vignault, Therrien, Capuano and Bylsma.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,000,000
5$3,000,000
1$1,000,000
2$2,500,000
6$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
2$1,400,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
ARI
  1. Hintz, Roope
  2. Methot, Marc
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (DAL)
Additional Details:
2018 first round pick #13
DAL
    Rights to Ondrej Kase
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$78,000,000$76,418,332$0$3,750,000$1,581,668
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    C, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 4
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $4,250,000$4,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $4,916,667$4,916,667
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    G
    UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 13, 2018 at 6:09 p.m.
    True Reverse Retro
    No need to give up Hintz and 1st for Ekman-Larsson when Heiskanen will likely be on the roster next season. OEL would be nice, would cost a ton to re-sign after his contract is up, and we'd have to sign Seguin at the same time. I'd rather have a top prospect in Hintz and a 1st Round pick in a deep draft than a guy that could very well be gone after the season.

And Faksa >>> Kase every day of the week. And you want to throw in our most physical defenseman? Absolutely not. Faksa and Johns are a big part of this teams future.

Roussel doesn't need a contract extension. Love the guy, but guys like Elie and Smith could play his role on the team at a much cheaper cost.

With the defensemen we have, I personally wouldn't re-sign Pateryn. Between Klingberg, Lindell, Honka, Methot, Johns, Heiskanen, and Heatherington we have 7 NHL ready defensemen. Pateryn may force one of the younger guys out of a spot that they need in order to develop. Guys like Honka, Heiskanen, and Heatherington aren't going to develop much more at the AHL level. That being said, if Dallas elects to start Heiskanen in the AHL, Pateryn wouldn't be a bad 1-year sign.

Kari I'm indifferent on. He's one of a few goalies that I wouldn't mind signing to be a backup. If we do re-sign him, I like the term you've got listed.

In regards to your signings, Dickinson and Elie should both be re-signed, and Shore won't get a 5-year deal. He'll get a standard 2-year bridge deal. He hasn't earned a long-term contract yet.
    Apr. 13, 2018 at 6:12 p.m.
    True Reverse Retro
    And the best coaching options, IMO, are:

Sheldon Keefe
    Todd Nelson
    Barry Trotz (If he gets fired)
    Darryl Sutter (If he wants out of retirement)
    Alain Vigneault
    Apr. 13, 2018 at 8:31 p.m.
    Lavsim
    Quoting: J_Sand3rs
    No need to give up Hintz and 1st for Ekman-Larsson when Heiskanen will likely be on the roster next season. OEL would be nice, would cost a ton to re-sign after his contract is up, and we'd have to sign Seguin at the same time. I'd rather have a top prospect in Hintz and a 1st Round pick in a deep draft than a guy that could very well be gone after the season.

And Faksa >>> Kase every day of the week. And you want to throw in our most physical defenseman? Absolutely not. Faksa and Johns are a big part of this teams future.

Roussel doesn't need a contract extension. Love the guy, but guys like Elie and Smith could play his role on the team at a much cheaper cost.

With the defensemen we have, I personally wouldn't re-sign Pateryn. Between Klingberg, Lindell, Honka, Methot, Johns, Heiskanen, and Heatherington we have 7 NHL ready defensemen. Pateryn may force one of the younger guys out of a spot that they need in order to develop. Guys like Honka, Heiskanen, and Heatherington aren't going to develop much more at the AHL level. That being said, if Dallas elects to start Heiskanen in the AHL, Pateryn wouldn't be a bad 1-year sign.

Kari I'm indifferent on. He's one of a few goalies that I wouldn't mind signing to be a backup. If we do re-sign him, I like the term you've got listed.

In regards to your signings, Dickinson and Elie should both be re-signed, and Shore won't get a 5-year deal. He'll get a standard 2-year bridge deal. He hasn't earned a long-term contract yet.

Thanks for the feedback, as you can see i am an outsider looking in so i dont have that much knowledge about the stars.
    Yea i agree if Heiskanen is ready then getting OEL dosen't make much sens long term.
    I don't agree with you on Kase tho, Faksa is a good center but this team has so many left-handed guys, they really need to get right winger and Kase is a really good 2-way guy that will put 20+ goals season in his career im sure.
    I haven't watched enough of the stars to talk about Johns so i'll give you that one, he is important for the stars with his physical play. If you guys keep Johns then yea i agree that Pateryn dosen't really have room there even tho he's been really good for you guys, no?
    I have no idea who Sheldon keefe is but i agree with you on Trotz. Sutter wouldn't be a good idea imo, he is all about physical and defensive play while the stars are a very fast offensive team.
    What do you think about Willie Desjardins coming back in the organisation?
    Apr. 13, 2018 at 11:50 p.m.
    True Reverse Retro
    Quoting: lavsim96
    Thanks for the feedback, as you can see i am an outsider looking in so i dont have that much knowledge about the stars.
    Yea i agree if Heiskanen is ready then getting OEL dosen't make much sens long term.
    I don't agree with you on Kase tho, Faksa is a good center but this team has so many left-handed guys, they really need to get right winger and Kase is a really good 2-way guy that will put 20+ goals season in his career im sure.
    I haven't watched enough of the stars to talk about Johns so i'll give you that one, he is important for the stars with his physical play. If you guys keep Johns then yea i agree that Pateryn dosen't really have room there even tho he's been really good for you guys, no?
    I have no idea who Sheldon keefe is but i agree with you on Trotz. Sutter wouldn't be a good idea imo, he is all about physical and defensive play while the stars are a very fast offensive team.
    What do you think about Willie Desjardins coming back in the organisation?

Many in, and around, the Stars organization believe that Faksa will be a Selke contender within the next few years. His two-way play is unreal, and he puts up extremely good production for a 3rd line, checking center

Sheldon Keefe is the coach of the Toronto Marlies, the AHL affiliate of the Maple Leafs. He currently holds a 51-18-2 record with the team and has shown great coaching abilities, especially around young guys. Given the age of Dallas' team, he would be a great fit for them. And I don't see Toronto needing a coach anytime soon, since they have Babcock.

I like Willie. He's up near the top of my coaching list. He coached a lot of our guys to an AHL championship a few years ago, and I think he would do a lot of good for his team. He makes my short list of realistic coaching candidates.
    Apr. 14, 2018 at 3:52 p.m.
    After reading the conversation between J_Sand3rs and lavsim96, I think everything was covered as far as roster goes. OEL would be nice but Cap crunch and Hintz being a good prospect would have me saying no; the Faksa and Johns for Kase would also be a no as that it two quality guys leaving and even if u did a 1-for-1 trade I won't do either of them cuz of the roles they have now and moving forward. Unlike my friend J_Sand3rs I would like to move on from Kari and sign someone else who is maybe younger if possible. And while Roussel is a fan favourite, a lot of good prospects (Dickinson, Smith, Gurianov, Elie, Hintz, etc.) could fill his role effectively. Heiskanen I would rather see in the minors for 1 yr and then come up after some experience in North America but that could just be me.
    As far as coaches I think my top 5 would be (in no order) Willie Desjardins, Sheldon Keefe, Barry Trotz (if fired), Bill Peters (if he wavies his contract which he can do this offseason), and maybe Dan Bylsma. No to Sutter and Vigneault
    Apr. 14, 2018 at 4:19 p.m.
    Lavsim
    Quoting: Dealtareon
    After reading the conversation between J_Sand3rs and lavsim96, I think everything was covered as far as roster goes. OEL would be nice but Cap crunch and Hintz being a good prospect would have me saying no; the Faksa and Johns for Kase would also be a no as that it two quality guys leaving and even if u did a 1-for-1 trade I won't do either of them cuz of the roles they have now and moving forward. Unlike my friend J_Sand3rs I would like to move on from Kari and sign someone else who is maybe younger if possible. And while Roussel is a fan favourite, a lot of good prospects (Dickinson, Smith, Gurianov, Elie, Hintz, etc.) could fill his role effectively. Heiskanen I would rather see in the minors for 1 yr and then come up after some experience in North America but that could just be me.
    As far as coaches I think my top 5 would be (in no order) Willie Desjardins, Sheldon Keefe, Barry Trotz (if fired), Bill Peters (if he wavies his contract which he can do this offseason), and maybe Dan Bylsma. No to Sutter and Vigneault

Would you agree about Faksa being possibly a future Selke candidate?

And why do you not want Vigneault?
    Apr. 14, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
    Quoting: lavsim96
    Would you agree about Faksa being possibly a future Selke candidate?

And why do you not want Vigneault?

I would agree with Faksa being a future Selke candidate. He had an amazing year, with a +21 against opposing teams #1 lines.

As for Vigneault, I'll give credit where credit is due. He is 11th in all time wins (648) as an NHL coach in 1216 games. The issues I have with Vigneault is that 1. he has shown (and very recently on NYR) that he does not play the young guys as much as they deserved to be played for that I don't believe he knows how to grow young players into good vets. I don't. Example Pavel Buchnevich Dallas needs that. The Dallas Stars have a lot of promising young talent who at this point in time just need regular minutes in the NHL in order to get better. 2. Over-usage of the vets. Don't get me wrong, vets are experienced, they know what they are doing and superstar vets can decide the game in a hurry. But I don't want to see Spezza (should he not get traded or bought out) playing 20+ mins cuz of his experience and see guys like Smith, Faksa, Dickinson, etc. get 10- mins in return. 3. He never took the blame or the fall for anything. Now saying player X or forwards/defence need to wake up is one thing, but to always be blaming someone and at the end of the year say the coaching staff was the best thing? Not a fan of that. Blaming Lundqvist was not a smart move. Just my two cents.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll