Forums/Armchair-GM

Last Tavares trade for the whole day.

Created by: Eli
Team: 2018-19 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 15, 2018
Published: Apr. 15, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Unless someone has some really good suggestions for another one. Isles fans already agree that, given the lack of any clear value for a UFA sign and trade, a good backup option for each side is a one for one. That leaves the Caps with two right handed defensemen, who play an average of 36 minutes this year. Bowey should be able to step up from 14 to about 17 next year. That still leaves a fascinating salary cap puzzle. The Caps don't have a built in replacement on the right side who can play 20 minutes a night and kill penalties, and they'll also have to get creative at other positions to fit Tavares' likely huge cap hit.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$3,499,011
5$1,199,011
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,101,202
8$10,501,202
3$801,202
3$2,020,101
1$750,101
Trades
WSH
    Tavares, John (signed and traded, so he gets an eighth year)
    NYI
    1. Carlson, John
    Additional Details:
    (sign and trade, so he gets an eighth year, even if it's at a cap hit Washington doesn't feel comfortable with)
    WSH
      Robbie Russo (unsigned draft pick rights)
      NYI
        Boyd, Travis (RFA rights)
        WSH
        1. Bear, Ethan
        Additional Details:
        would be 2nd in points among AHL rhd on this build behind Russo
        EDM
        1. Connolly, Brett
        Additional Details:
        (would be Edmonton's highest goal scoring NHL right wing right now)
        CAR
          Grubauer, Philipp (RFA... with agreement on long term deal around a 3.5M cap hit)
          DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the WSH
          ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
          21$80,000,000$69,854,923$82,500$600,000$10,145,077

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
          $9,538,462$9,538,462
          LW
          M-NTC
          UFA - 3
          $10,501,202$10,501,202
          C, LW
          UFA - 7
          $5,750,000$5,750,000
          RW
          M-NTC
          UFA - 7
          $3,000,000$3,000,000
          RW, LW
          UFA - 1
          $3,900,000$3,900,000
          C
          UFA - 7
          $3,499,011$3,499,011
          RW
          UFA - 6
          $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
          LW
          UFA - 1
          $6,700,000$6,700,000
          C
          M-NTC
          UFA - 2
          $2,835,000$2,835,000
          RW, C
          UFA - 2
          $925,000$925,000
          C, LW
          UFA - 1
          $2,415,000$2,415,000
          C
          UFA - 5
          $650,000$650,000
          C, LW
          UFA - 1
          Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
          $5,750,000$5,750,000
          RD
          M-NTC
          UFA - 3
          $6,100,000$6,100,000
          G
          M-NTC
          UFA - 2
          $1,275,000$1,275,000
          LD
          UFA - 5
          $2,020,101$2,020,101
          RD
          UFA - 3
          $650,000$650,000
          G
          UFA - 1
          $1,199,011$1,199,011
          RD
          UFA - 2
          $650,000$650,000
          LD
          UFA - 1
          $801,202$801,202
          LD
          UFA - 4
          $750,101$750,101
          LD
          UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
          • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 5:28 p.m.
          Eli I like what you did with Tavares and Carlsson.... shrewd move.

I would suggest that you swap the trades with Edmonton & Carolina:

Trade: Connolly to Carolina for Fleury (both previous 1st round picks)

Trade: Grubs for Bear as I think Edmonton would rather have a #1 goalie.
          Eli liked this.
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 5:30 p.m.
          No way EDM does that. Bear looks looks like a legit player and Con is just a 3rd liner.

I'd pass on the CAR trade. Caps have plenty of LHD and Fleury hasn't been impressive in the NHL at all. 60.5% ozone starts and a -4.5CF%. Can get better for Grubauer.
          Eli liked this.
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 5:31 p.m.
          Pretty good with the Carlson for Tavares trade, don't know if you can get a great young prospect like Bowey to sign long-term for cheap.
          Eli liked this.
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 5:36 p.m.
          Who adds what?
          Quoting: ClockReads2113
          No way EDM does that. Bear looks looks like a legit player and Con is just a 3rd liner.

I'd pass on the CAR trade. Caps have plenty of LHD and Fleury hasn't been impressive in the NHL at all. 60.5% ozone starts and a -4.5CF%. Can get better for Grubauer.

I put myself in a salary cap hole, where I had to get something that doesn't cost anything. Not sure whether another year in the AHL turns Fleury around or breaks his confidence and ruins him. Probably better to get picks and prospects.

I just really wanted Hershey to have a top four of:
          Fleury Russo
          Johansen Bear

to go with their tandem of Samsonov and Vanecek in goal.

Seemed like with a couple UFA forwards it'd be a slam dunk Calder Cup, and help everybody develop together.
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 5:47 p.m.
          Who adds what?
          Quoting: Habsfan27
          Pretty good with the Carlson for Tavares trade, don't know if you can get a great young prospect like Bowey to sign long-term for cheap.

Fair point. I don't know if they can get Bear, Russo, or Pateryn, either.

So I'm conceding that losing John carlson leaves a huge hole, and that it's difficult to replace his power play skill/chemistry, and also to replace the number of minutes he eats. But I'm looking at both puzzles with a belt and suspenders approach. If Bowey only signs for two or three years, learns the power play, and then prices himself out of Washington like Green, Shattenkirk, and Carlson before him, then at least hopefully Russo or Bear is ready to take over?

The tougher piece is finding a right handed defenseman under 3M who plays over 20 minutes. Pateryn doesn't actually make it but he's close enough that, with those forwards in front of him, I think he could handle it.
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 5:48 p.m.
          Who adds what?
          Quoting: wagsnags
          Eli I like what you did with Tavares and Carlsson.... shrewd move.

I would suggest that you swap the trades with Edmonton & Carolina:

Trade: Connolly to Carolina for Fleury (both previous 1st round picks)

Trade: Grubs for Bear as I think Edmonton would rather have a #1 goalie.

Thanks so much!

If the Caps could get a top pair of top prospects for Hershey for two guys they stop being able to afford when they trade for Tavares, I don't think they'd complain about who gets what guy they can't afford back for which future star defenseman.
          wagsnags liked this.
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 5:52 p.m.
          Quoting: Eli
          Thanks so much!

If the Caps could get a top pair of top prospects for Hershey for two guys they stop being able to afford when they trade for Tavares, I don't think they'd complain about who gets what guy they can't afford back for which future star defenseman.

I know at least on CF the Edmonton GM's have stated that teams should stay away from Bear that he is untouchable. The Oilers goaltending situation is still a hot mess IMO so I think you could entice them with Grubs.
          Eli liked this.
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 5:53 p.m.
          LongtimeLeafsufferer
          Eli, it might be your last Tavares trade of the trade, but the only way it the last Tavares trade of the day is if it's made at 1159PM, Hawaii time.
          Eli liked this.
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 5:57 p.m.
          I put myself in a salary cap hole, where I had to get something that doesn't cost anything. Not sure whether another year in the AHL turns Fleury around or breaks his confidence and ruins him. Probably better to get picks and prospects.

I just really wanted Hershey to have a top four of:
          Fleury Russo
          Johansen Bear

to go with their tandem of Samsonov and Vanecek in goal.

Seemed like with a couple UFA forwards it'd be a slam dunk Calder Cup, and help everybody develop together.

They're already set on D in HER. They'll have Johansen, Hobbs, and Siegenthaler who will all take big steps next season.They'll also have Ness and Williams who are great AHL D guys.
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 6:06 p.m.
          Who adds what?
          Quoting: wagsnags
          I know at least on CF the Edmonton GM's have stated that teams should stay away from Bear that he is untouchable. The Oilers goaltending situation is still a hot mess IMO so I think you could entice them with Grubs.

I hear that, too, about Bear.

Edmonton's goaltending was bad this year, but Talbot could just be injured or depressed and come back as his regular self next year. Their highest scoring winger (not counting Nugent Hopkins) was Maroon, with 16 goals. They traded him away at the deadline. Connolly had 15 goals this year and last, on mostly a 3rd line. He's only 25 and improving, and he can play either wing. On the Caps this makes him a third liner because Ovechkin, Oshie, Burakovsky, Wilson, and Vrana. on Edmonton he plays with McDavid and Nuge, and scores thirty goals a year until 2025. Bear for Connolly is cheap, and he wasn't just a first round pick. He was 6th overall. He's still got the same skill and finishing ability. Just doesn't get chances.

But to hear Edmonton fans tell it, Puljujarvi will have that spot by sometime last year, so there's no point in trading for anyone to fill it, or either 2nd line spot behind it, because Pool Party will play those, too.

Bear got 18 points in the AHL this season. Russo got 32. He's my 2nd pair AHL defender, with no contest. He's not untouchable. Edmonton just really needs right defensemen, and they'll end up signing one or trading for one because Bear, while good, is not ready yet.

I know this because he played 18 games with Edmonton this year. He got four assists and was -11. In an 82 game season, that projects to -50.

So maybe Edmonton throws in a 2nd. Maybe Carolina does, too. Or maybe I just need to do more research into what D prospects can get Hershey deep in the playoffs in Samsonov's rookie season, and provide some insurance for a team whose blueline would be rocked by losing Carlson.
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 6:10 p.m.
          Who adds what?
          Edited Apr. 15, 2018 at 6:20 p.m.
          Quoting: ClockReads2113
          They're already set on D in HER. They'll have Johansen, Hobbs, and Siegenthaler who will all take big steps next season.They'll also have Ness and Williams who are great AHL D guys.

Hobbs is right handed... https://theahl.com/stats/player-stats/all-teams/57?playertype=skater&position=defencemen&rookie=no&sort=points&statstype=standard&page=2&league=4

If the Caps trade Carlson their RHD situatiion is bad.

Russo was 1st among AHL RHD in points (you have to look up their hands: https://theahl.com/stats/player-stats/all-teams/57?playertype=skater&position=defencemen&rookie=no&sort=points&statstype=standard&page=2&league=4). Ness was like 20th, but he's another lefty. Of course, if the Caps trade Carlson, they could sign Garrison and Franson cheap for chances to join a good team with an obvious opening, and end up with at least one of them in Hershey. So, yeah, no desperate need to trade.

But if the Isles trade Tavares for Carlson, they could use a bubble center like Travis Boyd more than another RHD prospect behind Carlson, Pulock, and Boychuck, so they probably make that follow up trade to equalize positional depth a little bit. I don't think Josh Ho-Sang is head and shoulders better than Travis Boyd this year, but I could be wrong.
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 6:26 p.m.
          That D is the worst in the entire NHL. Doubt caps could afford Tavares long term either
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 6:34 p.m.
          Who adds what?
          Quoting: mhockey91
          That D is the worst in the entire NHL. Doubt caps could afford Tavares long term either

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, I'm not happy with the defense. But it's not worse than Pittsburgh's was on paper two years ago, and they did okay, right?

If I start the season with twenty guys, I have like 38M to add a #2RHD. pateryn isn't ideal at all. Could probably trade for Hamonic? Hmmm.... Green will cost more and doesn't kill many penalties. Maybe someone off board from Russia?
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 6:45 p.m.
          Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, I'm not happy with the defense. But it's not worse than Pittsburgh's was on paper two years ago, and they did okay, right?

If I start the season with twenty guys, I have like 38M to add a #2RHD. pateryn isn't ideal at all. Could probably trade for Hamonic? Hmmm.... Green will cost more and doesn't kill many penalties. Maybe someone off board from Russia?

Pens D last season was far better. Even without letang we still had a D core of hainsey, Schultz, dumo, Cole, Daley, and maatta. All regular NHL D men. Besides Orlov and Niskanen I see 4 D that float in and out of the lineup.

As for Tavares, it’s highly highly unlikely he comes to the caps, but if this situation were to, your best bet imo would be to trade backstrom for a #1D
          Apr. 15, 2018 at 7:25 p.m.
          Who adds what?
          Quoting: mhockey91
          Pens D last season was far better. Even without letang we still had a D core of hainsey, Schultz, dumo, Cole, Daley, and maatta. All regular NHL D men. Besides Orlov and Niskanen I see 4 D that float in and out of the lineup.

As for Tavares, it’s highly highly unlikely he comes to the caps, but if this situation were to, your best bet imo would be to trade backstrom for a #1D

At left D, this is the lineup that just won the division. At forward it's upgraded. At right D, it's a huge dropoff. Last year Nisk was the #1D. He can still play just fine. I think they could trade Grubauer and Connolly for a #2RHD, but is there one available who would fit the salary cap, play 20 minutes a night, and kill penalties decently well? I came up with Hamonic and Pateryn. http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20172018&seasonTo=20172018&gameType=2&leftyOrRighty=R&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,40&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=timeOnIcePerGame

To create a post please Login or Register
          Question:
          Options:
          Add Option
          Submit Poll