Forums/Armchair-GM

The typical, BUT with something new!! Trades with LAK, MIN

Created by: Blazingbat11
Team: 2018-19 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 19, 2018
Published: Apr. 19, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Of course this roster, especially on offense, could still use some work. But I still have cap space to get someone on the UFA market. Leave me suggestions!!! (Bozak? Perron?)

I'd like to think The defense is fixed!!! This is a solid Defense core. Muzzin and Weber as a 1st pairing is as good as it gets. there's youth throughout the defense. (Dumba 23, Mete 19, Juulsen 21, Reilly 24)

As for the trades:

LAK trade:

Here's my reasoning. Kings on defense currently only have Doughty and Folin as right shooting guys. Every one else (Muzzin, Martinez, Forbort, Phaneuf, Brickley) are all lefty's (Martinez is currently playing on his opposite side). Muzzin for Petry are equal on offense, but I think everyone can agree Muzzin is the better defender. To make the deal as fair as possible, I retained 750k on Petry so that in a sense both players cost the same, $4.75mil. I also moved up LA 40 spots in the draft, to 35th overall (which can be considered just as good as a late 1st rd pick for some), and to boot I threw in McCarron as an incentive hoping LA can find a use for him. He would fit better with their play style.

EDIT: LAK 3rd rd pick is actually 82nd overall...so they'd move up 42 spots.

MIN trade:

My reasoning for this is with Petry gone, Bergefail needs to solidify the RD, as I believe Juulsen should not be thrust into the top 4 at this stage. Bergefail also can't get his asking price for Pacioretty, so Galchenyuk sadly becomes the next target. From a draft point of view, both were 2012 picks, Chucky 3rd and Dumba 7th. It might not mean much now, but for some it still matters. The trade would fill both team needs imo. MIN need more offense and I believe they need to save every penny they can with regards to their cap space. Chucky can play LW/RW, and is still on a great contract with regards to AAV ($4.9mil). MIN move Ennis and sign UFA Green to take Dumba's spot.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
4$2,700,000
2$925,000
2$925,000
2$925,000
2$800,000
7$5,300,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$13,500,000
1$1,250,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Muzzin, Jake
Additional Details:
LAK 2018 3rd rd pick (75th overall)
LAK
  1. McCarron, Michael
  2. Petry, Jeff ($750,000 retained)
Additional Details:
MTL 2018 2nd rd pick (35th overall)
MTL
    RFA rights to Matt Dumba
    MTL
    1. 2019 2nd round pick (CBJ)
    2. 2019 5th round pick (MTL)
    MTL
    1. 2019 7th round pick (BUF)
    BUF
    1. Schlemko, David
    Additional Details:
    Can be any other team
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$80,000,000$74,162,975$0$1,207,500$5,837,025

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $4,050,000$4,050,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $13,500,000$13,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 7
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    $2,700,000$2,700,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,166,667$1,166,667
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    C
    UFA - 2
    $839,166$839,166
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $650,000$650,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    C, LW
    UFA
    $800,000$800,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $950,000$950,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $7,857,143$7,857,143
    RD
    UFA - 8
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $748,333$748,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RD
    UFA - 5
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $4,625,000$4,625,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $725,000$725,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 8:37 p.m.
    Lavsim
    I like Jeff Petry to the kings, i didnt think of it before and it really does makes sens.
    Chucky for Dumba i'd do it but not sure the wild would, maybe we need to add a little something to get the value up there.
    Andrew Shaw can be traded to any teams for those picks really as long as he shows that he is healthy, he is pretty much useless in MTL at this point.

Bergefail must be happy to see Subban get nominated today for the Norris.
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 8:43 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    Quoting: lavsim96
    I like Jeff Petry to the kings, i didnt think of it before and it really does makes sens.
    Chucky for Dumba i'd do it but not sure the wild would, maybe we need to add a little something to get the value up there.
    Andrew Shaw can be traded to any teams for those picks really as long as he shows that he is healthy, he is pretty much useless in MTL at this point.

I'd agree Dumba for Chucky is a strech, but definitely not unrealistic. and with Dumba needing to resign and Minny with their current cap situation, their could be a fit with MTL.
    lavsim96 liked this.
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 8:44 p.m.
    Wild definitely say no to the Dumba 1-for-1 deal. MTL would have to add quite a bit.

These are the kinds of deals that MTL would need to do to get Tavares interested.

Also, how much y'all want for Hudon? CGY would love to add him, especially if he's getting 4th line minutes in MTL.
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 8:50 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    Quoting: Vanderm
    Wild definitely say no to the Dumba 1-for-1 deal. MTL would have to add quite a bit.

These are the kinds of deals that MTL would need to do to get Tavares interested.

Also, how much y'all want for Hudon? CGY would love to add him, especially if he's getting 4th line minutes in MTL.

I'd keep Hudon, but I'd say he's definitely not untouchable by any means. What are you offering? Him on the fourth line is temporary imo (and I'm still giving him PP time). I'm giving Evans a chance on this roster, But Drouin can always go to #2 C, Danault down to #3 C, and Byron and Hudon move up on LW.
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 9:16 p.m.
    I post sometimes

Would

Dumba + 3rd round pick for Chucky + Byron

Dumba is worth a bit more than chucky... but not that much. By adding Byron MTl would be spending too much, but third round pick would make things even
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 9:17 p.m.
    I post sometimes

What about the Petry trade makes sense to you, I don't know the kings that much, so your insight could be useful
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 9:22 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    Quoting: MTLaveragefan
    Would

Dumba is worth a bit more than chucky... but not that much. By adding Byron MTl would be spending too much, but third round pick would make things even

With Minny cap space is worth gold. I'm starting to think if MTL take Ennis off their hands in the Chucky-Dumba deal, and maybe MIN add a pick. The deal gets done. MTL could easily just bury Ennis in the minors for a year or simply just use him, they'd have the cap space.
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 9:22 p.m.
    Lavsim
    What about the Petry trade makes sense to you, I don't know the kings that much, so your insight could be useful

Well behind Doughty, the Kings have no good right-handed shot to play top-4 minutes. I believe in the concept of lefties on the left and righties on the right so Prety would bring a much needed top-4 right handed shot to compensate.
    They have left handed d-men in: Muzzin, Martinez, Forbort, Fantenberg and Phaneuf. Only other right shot they have is Folin ( if i did not forget any)

i'd be happy to have your input on why Petry wouldn't fit good in LA!
    That being said i wouldn't like Weber to be our sole good right-handed shot so i am not willing to give Petry for picks or prospects, he definetly has an important role here in mtl.
    Blazingbat11 liked this.
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 9:28 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    Well behind Doughty, the Kings have no good right-handed shot to play top-4 minutes. I believe in the concept of lefties on the left and righties on the right so Prety would bring a much needed top-4 right handed shot to compensate.
    They have left handed d-men in: Muzzin, Martinez, Forbort, Fantenberg and Phaneuf. Only other right shot they have is Folin ( if i did not forget any)

That being said i wouldn't like Weber to be our sole good right-handed shot so i am not willing to give Petry for picks or prospects, he definetly has an important role here in mtl.

I 100% agree. I wouldn't trade Petry unless there's a suitable replacement that immediately takes his place. I don't think Juulsen is ready yet. So in this instance, If MTL can't get Dumba, they pretty much have to keep Petry. But I could still see a deal be done for Muzzin with Pacioretty going to other way. LA still needs offense.
    lavsim96 and MTLaveragefan liked this.
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 9:46 p.m.
    Would

Larsson was worth Hall.....Schenn was worth JVR. Dumba is a large upgrade over both of those guys......market prices would force MTL to overpay to get the best player in the deal.

And, MIN isn't in as bad of a cap situation as some are suggesting.
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 10:02 p.m.
    I post sometimes

If that's the case in LA, then I agree with you - he would be a good fit and in return we would have a good LDH to pair with Weber. But like you said, we would miss a RHD in MTL -> so this deal would depend on the Dumba trade!

OR signing Carlson instead of JT (which is already a stretch).

great defense + an OK offense has been the key to success in recent years for the habs when you lack a #1 C.
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 10:03 p.m.
    I post sometimes
    Quoting: Blazingbat11
    I 100% agree. I wouldn't trade Petry unless there's a suitable replacement that immediately takes his place. I don't think Juulsen is ready yet. So in this instance, If MTL can't get Dumba, they pretty much have to keep Petry. But I could still see a deal be done for Muzzin with Pacioretty going to other way. LA still needs offense.

Then, Signing Carlson could be our prime objective before signing JT -> With Carlson you can afford Stastny as well
    Apr. 19, 2018 at 10:05 p.m.
    I post sometimes
    Larsson was worth Hall.....Schenn was worth JVR. Dumba is a large upgrade over both of those guys......market prices would force MTL to overpay to get the best player in the deal.

And, MIN isn't in as bad of a cap situation as some are suggesting.

Chucky is a once 30 goal scorer and a 50pts point guy who played a third of the season on the fourth line or playing with cones ... put him with a good center (like the ones you have in MIN) and the guy will explode. And MB will, once again, look like a fool
    Apr. 20, 2018 at 7:49 p.m.
    Chucky is a once 30 goal scorer and a 50pts point guy who played a third of the season on the fourth line or playing with cones ... put him with a good center (like the ones you have in MIN) and the guy will explode. And MB will, once again, look like a fool

He will surely improve with a new forward group. But, multiple years of stats and production go a long, long way in the valuation. Dumba is worth more on that basis, and the basis that he's a dman, the rarer asset.

TBH: MIN has some good depth and could make the deal you've pitched and turn around and get another dman from somewhere. Like Brodie from CGY.
    Apr. 20, 2018 at 8:09 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    He will surely improve with a new forward group. But, multiple years of stats and production go a long, long way in the valuation. Dumba is worth more on that basis, and the basis that he's a dman, the rarer asset.

TBH: MIN has some good depth and could make the deal you've pitched and turn around and get another dman from somewhere. Like Brodie from CGY.

I'm going to have to disagree with your first statement. if years of stats and production take a huge part in value, Chucky would have the edge, he's consistently a 50point producer and still has room to grow being only 24. Dumba just had his breakout season this year, his previous seasons would hurt his value if anything, as he was at most a #4 D, where now he's looking like he could play top pairing minutes and is an offensive producer at 24.

The more I think about it though, I feel MTL would have to add (not too much), or MIN includes Ennis as a cap dump
    MTLaveragefan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll