SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2017-18

NYR Front Office Thread

Apr. 26, 2018 at 8:52 p.m.
The communications thread for the front office of the NYR.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:20 p.m.
Here's just some thoughts I had about the team:

We could really use defensive adjustments. The defense is not at all bad, but we could make it better by trading Bouwmeester in a package for a better/younger defenseman, and also trading Shattenkirk for a younger top-4 defenseman, as Shattenkirk is getting old and hasn’t played a full season for a couple of years.

Are we trying to build this team into one that becomes a strong, playoff-capable team a few years down the line, or are we trying to build it into a team that can compete now? Personally, I think we should try to blend it a bit, making it into a playoff team that still has strong assets for later.

Our top line has a prospect, albeit a good one, centering it and a middle-6 right winger who might develop into a top line winger. If were going for a hybrid build, I suggest trading one or both of these players to shore up our top 6.

These are just my first impressions...
Apr. 26, 2018 at 10:22 p.m.
Quoting: WhisperWhisper
Here's just some thoughts I had about the team:

We could really use defensive adjustments. The defense is not at all bad, but we could make it better by trading Bouwmeester in a package for a better/younger defenseman, and also trading Shattenkirk for a younger top-4 defenseman, as Shattenkirk is getting old and hasn’t played a full season for a couple of years.

Are we trying to build this team into one that becomes a strong, playoff-capable team a few years down the line, or are we trying to build it into a team that can compete now? Personally, I think we should try to blend it a bit, making it into a playoff team that still has strong assets for later.

Our top line has a prospect, albeit a good one, centering it and a middle-6 right winger who might develop into a top line winger. If were going for a hybrid build, I suggest trading one or both of these players to shore up our top 6.

These are just my first impressions...

So unfortunately Shattenkirk cannot be traded due to his NMC. I'm not opposed to moving Bouwmeester... everyone views him as a cap dump though.
As for plan, I'm trying to make the team competitive in 1-2 years, so I'm not afraid to give Andersson big minutes, especially with strong defensive forwards in Landeskog and Coyle. 2nd line is the shut down line. 3rd line is where work needs to be done on my opinion. Keep Hyman, potentially pick up Riley Nash and Ryan Spooner.

I do agree the middle defensive pair needs work, but I'm not looking to move Lias or Coyle
Apr. 26, 2018 at 10:46 p.m.
Quoting: jmac490
So unfortunately Shattenkirk cannot be traded due to his NMC. I'm not opposed to moving Bouwmeester... everyone views him as a cap dump though.
As for plan, I'm trying to make the team competitive in 1-2 years, so I'm not afraid to give Andersson big minutes, especially with strong defensive forwards in Landeskog and Coyle. 2nd line is the shut down line. 3rd line is where work needs to be done on my opinion. Keep Hyman, potentially pick up Riley Nash and Ryan Spooner.

I do agree the middle defensive pair needs work, but I'm not looking to move Lias or Coyle

Picking up Sheahan could also be a good idea for the 3rd line, or we could keep Danault for some secondary scoring.
If he's available, Josh Leivo wouldn't be a bad addition at all, and would help shore up our bottom 6 even more.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 10:59 p.m.
As for Shatty, his NMC is a modified one so when the season ends, he submits a list of ten teams he doesn't want to be traded to.
I don't know about whether that allows for him to be traded in the game, though...
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:02 p.m.
As for Shatty, his NMC is a modified one so when the season ends, he submits a list of ten teams he doesn't want to be traded to.
I don't know about whether that allows for him to be traded in the game, though...

Have next to 0 idea on this actually... might be a good question to ask the BOE... if it's a M-NMC then we may actually be able to move him
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:03 p.m.
Have next to 0 idea on this actually... might be a good question to ask the BOE... if it's a M-NMC then we may actually be able to move him

Yeah, that's definitely something we should ask about.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:06 p.m.
Picking up Sheahan could also be a good idea for the 3rd line, or we could keep Danault for some secondary scoring.
If he's available, Josh Leivo wouldn't be a bad addition at all, and would help shore up our bottom 6 even more.

So lines in thinking of rolling out for next season would be

Landy-Lias-Coyle
Saad-Tierney-Meier
Hyman-Riley Nash-Spooner
Martin-Glendening/other 4th line C, Reaves

The cost on Riley Nash and Spooner together is 3 2019 2nds... I'm trying to get a 2019 2nd + for Danault, with the + being a decent prospect that plays defense and is right handed or a winger prospect to help out the AHL team

If you want to shop Danault that would be helpful. Asking price is 2019 2nd +. We can wait to see what people would be willing to add
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:10 p.m.
So lines in thinking of rolling out for next season would be

Landy-Lias-Coyle
Saad-Tierney-Meier
Hyman-Riley Nash-Spooner
Martin-Glendening/other 4th line C, Reaves

The cost on Riley Nash and Spooner together is 3 2019 2nds... I'm trying to get a 2019 2nd + for Danault, with the + being a decent prospect that plays defense and is right handed or a winger prospect to help out the AHL team

If you want to shop Danault that would be helpful. Asking price is 2019 2nd +. We can wait to see what people would be willing to add

We may want to keep Danault, as he provides some scoring, which is something we need a bit more of, IMO, but I'll definitely shop him for the asking price.
We could also look at Tom Wilson, if the price is lower than that of Spooner's.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:12 p.m.
We may want to keep Danault, as he provides some scoring, which is something we need a bit more of, IMO, but I'll definitely shop him for the asking price.

Price was pretty high last I checked. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Riley Nash and Ryan Spooner also got more than 45 points each this season... so they would provide a lot of extra offense
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:12 p.m.

Scratch the Wilson idea, Math wants us to add to Danault for Wilson...
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:13 p.m.
Price was pretty high last I checked. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Riley Nash and Ryan Spooner also got more than 45 points each this season... so they would provide a lot of extra offense

Oh, I didn't know that.
If that's the case, then yeah, going after them should definitely be a priority for us.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:14 p.m.
Scratch the Wilson idea, Math wants us to add to Danault for Wilson...

He loves Wilson... likely the highest cost guy on his team. Well next to Ovi lol
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:15 p.m.
Also any deal would need to cleared by me before it becomes official so just let me know what you come up with and @ me
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:18 p.m.
Untouchables on the team are Lias Andersson, Landeskog, Tierney, Meier, Hyman, Skjei, Pesce, Walman... big list I know... but those are the guys I want to build around for sure

Edit: Calling it a night. Touch base in the morning
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:23 p.m.
Untouchables on the team are Lias Andersson, Landeskog, Tierney, Meier, Hyman, Skjei, Pesce, Walman... big list I know... but those are the guys I want to build around for sure

Edit: Calling it a night. Touch base in the morning

K, cya.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:24 p.m.
Also any deal would need to cleared by me before it becomes official so just let me know what you come up with and @ me

Yeah, I know, I'll keep you posted on offers, and of course, you always make the final decision.
Apr. 27, 2018 at 10:15 a.m.
Yeah, that's definitely something we should ask about.

Asked about it. We can move him during the 2018/19 season. So that may be soon for our game
Him being Shattenkirk
Apr. 27, 2018 at 7:35 p.m.
Also, we may want to consider taking cap dumps for the picks we need in order to acquire Nash and Spooner, if we aren't able to get the picks through other means.
Apr. 27, 2018 at 7:44 p.m.
Edited Apr. 27, 2018 at 8:03 p.m.
How far are we willing to go to improve our D? It'll take a lot to move Bouwmeester, and this is the only offer I've been able to get so far:
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Bouwmeester has little to no value to me because hes simply to old. Probably him + 1st (which i know you will say no to anyways)
P.S. This is the response to me asking about the price of a Bouwmeester-Gardiner trade

It's probably too much for us, but I just wanted your opinion.
Apr. 27, 2018 at 8:03 p.m.
also, what do you think about the response from Arizona?
Apr. 27, 2018 at 8:25 p.m.
How far are we willing to go to improve our D? It'll take a lot to move Bouwmeester, and this is the only offer I've been able to get so far:

It's probably too much for us, but I just wanted your opinion.

Likely too much... I'd maybe counter with a 2019 2nd with Bouw
Apr. 27, 2018 at 8:26 p.m.
also, what do you think about the response from Arizona?

Likely out of our price range
Apr. 27, 2018 at 8:28 p.m.
Also, we may want to consider taking cap dumps for the picks we need in order to acquire Nash and Spooner, if we aren't able to get the picks through other means.

Thing is... if we take cap dumps we screw ourselves salary wise and plan wise... Staal buyout + irl Girardi buyout costs us 5M for the next 5 years. And having Bouwmeester along with big contracts in Skjei (5.75), Shattenkirk (6.65), Pesce (4), Tierney (4) etc puts us pretty close to the cap (77.625)
Apr. 27, 2018 at 8:48 p.m.
Thing is... if we take cap dumps we screw ourselves salary wise and plan wise... Staal buyout + irl Girardi buyout costs us 5M for the next 5 years. And having Bouwmeester along with big contracts in Skjei (5.75), Shattenkirk (6.65), Pesce (4), Tierney (4) etc puts us pretty close to the cap (77.625)

It probably isn't feasible, but I mentioned the idea in case we need a last resort.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll