SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Which Team do you think will have the best offseason?

Jun. 13, 2018 at 2:44 a.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: krakowitz
@HawksFan28

CapFriendly currently says that Chicago has roughly $5.3M in cap space. If the cap goes up to the estimated $80M, that makes roughly $10.3M. After signing Hinostroza, Duclair, etc. that number dwindles down to anywhere between $5M and $7M.

Even if they go over the cap by 10% in the offseason, they still have to be below the cap ceiling when games are actually played. And if Johan Franzen, David Clarkson, Nathan Horton, etc. still count for full cap value, so does Marian Hossa. And you yourself said that one or two rookies will be used to fill out the roster. This will leave the Blackhawks with anywhere from $3-6M to spend in free agency. A team still needing at least one top four defenseman, a top six winger and some more secondary scoring. This is also anticipating that both Saad and Toews have bounce back years, where the former produced at a third line scorers rate and the latter produced like a second line center. I'm not going to expect that they both go back to producing like top line players. Not to mention, this team still needs to keep in mind the big paydays coming for Schmaltz and Debrincat.

I ran a little projection for you of a team with the holes filled in the lineup. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/727215 notice the fact that this team is over $4M over the cap with all the lineup holes filled.

You forgot about the fact that Bowman can spend Hossa's cap hit this summer so add 5.275 million to that and you get 16.5 million IF the cap is at 80M (I think it will be a little higher but 80 is good for right now).....

In the summer teams can go 10% over the cap as long as teams are cap compliant come the first day of the season, and the Hawks will be because Hossa will be placed on LTIR..

So Hossa's cap hit is moot - the Hawks have that 5.275 to spend this summer, capgeek just doesn't show it because you cant "officially" LTIR a guy in the summer but you can go 10% over the cap..

The Hawks have 16.5 million to spend...

They will get Hinostroza, Hayden & Duclair signed for 4 million combined.

Now, look at the Hawks defense and who's on the present roster? well some of those guys aren't going to be on the team next season so that's some additional cap space there.

The Hawks also have some trade bait too, I think Anisimov is as good as gone (and probably in a package for a top 4 so)....

My point is the Hawks have a lot of flexibility this summer and the Hawks are going to be able to make the tweaks they need to have a contender next season....
Jun. 13, 2018 at 3:31 a.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: awatt
https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2016/3/9/11185632/marian-hossa-nhl-salary-cap-recapture-penalty-blackhawks-retirement-ltir

This is 2 years old...

Not sure how relevant this still is but if it is still relevant. Hossa's contract is most likely not going to see LTIR which means hawks don't have anywhere close to that $20 mill in cap space you are projecting they will have.

Did you even look at the link I provided? its straight from this site......

In what universe are the Hawks NOT going to LTIR Hossa? that is ridiculous.....

1. Hawks can spend 10% over the cap in the off-season, and Bowman will do exactly that.
2. Hossa will be placed on LTIR on the first day of the regular season, hence getting the Hawks cap compliant.

It's that simple... This isn't opinion, this isn't hope or homerism - this is FACT...

What is it with some of you posters ....... You're all like But, but, but, but there has to be some way Hossa goes against the cap NOW and during the regular season.... I get it, it's what you want - you want the Hawks to have significant cap issues because you hate the Blackhawks, but your wishful thinking is just that - wishful thinking..

Hossa's contract is an issue for the Hawks no more......I could see the Hawks trading him to a team at the cap floor but only for some sort of asset coming back..

The Hawks will have around 20 million to make improvements...... I mean, some of the guys presently taking up cap space on the roster probably wont be on the team next season (or start the season in Chicago)...

These 16 players are the only ones guaranteed to make the team, and with a cap at 80M the Hawks will have $15,375,705 and yes, that includes HInostroza, Hayden and Duclair re-signed.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/edit/726337

So the Hawks have $15,375,705 to fill 9 spots which is basically 1.7M per roster spot... And there will be several players that make the team with cap hits way less than that...

And lets not forget Anisimov is going to be traded so, who knows what Bowman gets out of that - he will either get more cap space or get players that can improve the team...

The Hawks will be much improved next season.
Jun. 13, 2018 at 11:23 a.m.
Quoting: HawksFan28

1. Hawks can spend 10% over the cap in the off-season, and Bowman will do exactly that.
2. Hossa will be placed on LTIR on the first day of the regular season, hence getting the Hawks cap compliant.

It's that simple... This isn't opinion, this isn't hope or homerism - this is FACT...

What is it with some of you posters ....... You're all like But, but, but, but there has to be some way Hossa goes against the cap NOW and during the regular season.... I get it, it's what you want - you want the Hawks to have significant cap issues because you hate the Blackhawks, but your wishful thinking is just that - wishful thinking..

Hossa's contract is an issue for the Hawks no more......I could see the Hawks trading him to a team at the cap floor but only for some sort of asset coming back..

The Hawks will have around 20 million to make improvements...... I mean, some of the guys presently taking up cap space on the roster probably wont be on the team next season (or start the season in Chicago)...

These 16 players are the only ones guaranteed to make the team, and with a cap at 80M the Hawks will have $15,375,705 and yes, that includes HInostroza, Hayden and Duclair re-signed.

So the Hawks have $15,375,705 to fill 9 spots which is basically 1.7M per roster spot... And there will be several players that make the team with cap hits way less than that...

And lets not forget Anisimov is going to be traded so, who knows what Bowman gets out of that - he will either get more cap space or get players that can improve the team...

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/madhouse-enforcer/marian-hossa-salary-cap-recapture-penalty-retirement-why-didnt-hossa-sign-paperwork-483130061.html

Here is something that has been left out.

Hossa hasn't signed his official retirement paperwork, therefore he is technically an active player still. Therefore Bowman is some how circumventing the system again and going to be able to use Hossa's $5.25 cap hit to sign another player. Once again this is if the NHL doesn't step in and do something about it. This was the kind of stuff they wanted to eliminate when signing the last CBA.

If everything stays the same now, Hossa will be placed on LTIR due to him being an active player since he has not officially signed his retirement paperwork.

It looks like you are correct in this situation. I just didn't know he never signed the paperwork.
Jun. 13, 2018 at 5:08 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: awatt
https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/madhouse-enforcer/marian-hossa-salary-cap-recapture-penalty-retirement-why-didnt-hossa-sign-paperwork-483130061.html

Here is something that has been left out.

Hossa hasn't signed his official retirement paperwork, therefore he is technically an active player still. Therefore Bowman is some how circumventing the system again and going to be able to use Hossa's $5.25 cap hit to sign another player. Once again this is if the NHL doesn't step in and do something about it. This was the kind of stuff they wanted to eliminate when signing the last CBA.

If everything stays the same now, Hossa will be placed on LTIR due to him being an active player since he has not officially signed his retirement paperwork.

It looks like you are correct in this situation. I just didn't know he never signed the paperwork.

That's exactly the point, he's not signing his retirement paperwork because if he does the Hawks would be hit with a MASSIVE recapture penalty.... Besides, why would Hossa? he gets a $1,000,000 a year for basically doing nothing.

Bowman will spend Hossa's 5.275 cap hit this summer because he can go 10% over the cap and will place Hossa on LTIR the first day of the season.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with this, Hossa's is legitimately injured - he cant play.. I don't know why the Hawks should be punished for that...... Besides it's not like Hossa wasn't good when he got is skin condition - I would LOVE to have Hossa back - last season really showed just how important Hossa was to this team..... So the notion he just "decided" to unofficially retire is BS.... No, the league should step in and do nothing - the same situation has happened before with David Clarkson, Nathan Horton, Dave Bolland, Chris Pronger and Brian Bickell just to name a few situations - not to mention Pavel Datsyuk who went on LTIR and went to go play in Russia which is nuts......... Look, players get injured - in Hossa's case a skin disorder that requires medication that will damage his health... So yea, Hossa could technically play but it would require the take medication that damages his heath - that is a legitimate reason to unofficially retire....
Jun. 13, 2018 at 9:32 p.m.
Pain.
What I'm saying is that what went wrong with the Hawks last season can be fixed.....What I'm saying is the salary cap finally made it difficult for the Hawks to put a team together that can contend last season (they had the star power, just not the supporting cast)...... This season will be different because the Hawks have plenty of cap space and with the emergence of Schmaltz and DeBrincat as legitimate young top 6 forwards filling out the rest of the team with legitimate veteran players the Hawks need to contend won't be very difficult...

What worries me the most actually is goaltending actually, no one knows anything about Crawford's situation.

Like I have said: if I thought the Hawks were done I would be posting ways how they could rebuild, but they're not done so I'm not thinking about that at all.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 8:47 a.m.
Caps fan in ATL
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
Next season will be the Lightning's best chance for a year or two. I think we will need a year or two to integrate youth such as Callan Foote, Taylor Raddysh and Mitchell Stephens. However, I still see us as a playoff team, just not a cup contender until our youngsters develop enough.

Hey the Caps thought 2017 was their chance because they were going to have to replace guys like Williams, Shatty (sort of), MoJo, etc with guys like Vrana, Stephenson, Djoos, Bowey, etc and it was the latter who got them a cup. I could totally see Tamps following the same path. The Bolts have been stacked and a major threat in the East for awhile now but haven't been able to break through with this squad. Maybe the youth influx, when it comes, does the same that it did in Washington.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 12:03 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018

@HawksFan28 Anything new to report here? This team is going to be a legitimate Cup contender, right?
Jul. 3, 2018 at 12:29 a.m.
@HawksFan28 Anything new to report here? This team is going to be a legitimate Cup contender, right?

Yep. Stanley Cup winners for sure.
Bright Side Blues are now a contender again. More than Chicago is. And that is something Hawks fan saidnwouldnt happen. He said blues would rebuild.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 12:30 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

Chris Kunitz has won 4 Stanley cups. HawksFan28 probably thinks this means he will win the cup in Chicago.

Edit: I mean HawksFan28 probably thinks that he will make the difference between missing the playoffs by a LOT and being one of the top cup contenders.
nobody liked this.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 12:30 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Double Post
Jul. 3, 2018 at 12:35 a.m.

I can confirm Chris Kunitz is still a top line player and not an aging 4th line player that will continue to regress.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 12:46 a.m.
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
I can confirm Chris Kunitz is still a top line player and not an aging 4th line player that will continue to regress.

I can report Chicago did nothing and Saint Louis got O’Reilly
Jul. 3, 2018 at 9:02 a.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Leafs won the offseason lol
Jul. 3, 2018 at 10:11 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Rodzikhockey93
Leafs won the offseason lol

THE winner of the offseason was St. Louis. The Leafs were ONE of the winners.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 10:31 a.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
THE winner of the offseason was St. Louis. The Leafs were ONE of the winners.

St louis filled their needs well. Toronto brought home the best free agent the league has ever seen.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 11:44 a.m.
St louis filled their needs well. Toronto brought home the best free agent the league has ever seen.

Ever seen???? Stop I’m sure you can tell that to Gretzky and he would agree with you.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 12:41 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

The best free agent THIS YEAR, yes. Not the best EVER. STL brought in Perron AND Bozak, as well as they traded for ROR. TOR got Tavares but they lost JVR and Bozak.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 2:03 p.m.
The best free agent THIS YEAR, yes. Not the best EVER. STL brought in Perron AND Bozak, as well as they traded for ROR. TOR got Tavares but they lost JVR and Bozak.

I’m sorry I’m not arguing with someone who think Tavares is the Free Agent pickup ever.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 2:03 p.m.
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
I’m sorry I’m not arguing with someone who think Tavares is the Free Agent pickup ever.

You argue with him Em.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 2:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

I never said he's the best ever.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 3:13 p.m.

“Toronto brought in the best Free agent the NHL has ever seen”
Jul. 3, 2018 at 3:13 p.m.

I knw he did I’m not arguing with him. So I’m letting you argue with him.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 10:29 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I knw he did I’m not arguing with him. So I’m letting you argue with him.

No, i don't want to argue with something who thinks that either.
Jul. 4, 2018 at 12:20 a.m.
Ever seen???? Stop I’m sure you can tell that to Gretzky and he would agree with you.

I think you can make the case he's the best Free Agent in the Cap Era.
Jul. 4, 2018 at 12:39 a.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni
I think you can make the case he's the best Free Agent in the Cap Era.

Still Zdeno Chara and Scott Niedermayer.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll