Forums/Armchair-GM

2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs AKA "There's Probably A Reason I'm Not A GM"

Created by: A_Bear_On_Skates
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 16, 2018
Published: May 16, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Since the Leafs (thankfully) have started keeping their mouths shut I get to make stuff up
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,300,000
6$6,000,000
2$925,000
2$1,250,000
2$900,000
1$900,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Lindholm, Par
2$1,600,000
1$6,000,000
3$2,000,000
3$3,800,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Pesce, Brett
  2. 2019 6th round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
Again, trying to prey on panicked management here, just like Edmonton. Apparently everyone on the Hurricanes is available except Aho at time of writing. Carolina needs goaltending, CM had a good enough season to turn heads. Not going to be a starter but Carolina needs help in both #1 and #2 positions.
CAR
  1. Carrick, Connor
  2. McElhinney, Curtis
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Babcock clearly doesn't have confidence in Carrick, not much point in his being there. With Sparks, Pickard and Mac all needing to clear waivers I'm betting on Sparks and trying to get something for Mac. Not that it matters, since they got him off waivers in the first place, but I why not.
TOR
  1. Larsson, Adam
Additional Details:
I can't say I'm a huge fan of this from Edmonton's end, but given who's in charge and the season they had I think there's probably enough panic for them to do something stupid. Plus, they need wingers, the GM likes brute force, and Hainsey fills the open blue line spot. Fits as well as an ill-conceived glove can. May have to upgrade the pick.
EDM
  1. Hainsey, Ron
  2. Leivo, Josh
  3. Martin, Matt
  4. 2019 4th round pick (STL)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,000,000$76,862,499$2,550,000$5,400,000-$1,862,499

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,800,000$3,800,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Lindholm, Par
$1,600,000$1,600,000
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 3
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 16, 2018 at 5:23 p.m.
Very leaf-sided deals
May 16, 2018 at 5:56 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
You're not wrong. I don't think it's impossible though, mainly because of the flap both management groups are in.

For the trades, Edmonton might insist on Carrick and a second instead of Hainsey and a fourth. If it came to that, doesn't bother me. Actually that makes more sense as it would also give them some cap help... Can you tell I messed around with this a few times? smile
The Carolina trade is kinda whatever. If they can pry away Pesce one way or another that's the main object, the pieces going the other way don't really matter. If they lose Mac for nothing, oh well... It's just that as well as he's played, he's in the way of the young guys. Same problem he had in Colombus. I think the key to that one is the pick, the rest is cap acrobatics mainly.

As far as the signings go, it's a matter of "take this or go elsewhere", so oh well, but I don't think they're unreasonable. Nylander isn't at Pasternak standards yet, who got 6.67x6, so I think 6x6 makes sense. Bozak is past peak and made 4.2 last season, he was a Leafs fan as a kid and probably would love to stick around--haircut on salary is the condition. Nash currently makes 900k. He's worth more than that for sure, but he's also 28. Not sure what he's looking for but 2.25m is actually most likely too high. He had an outstanding year but it's an extreme outlier. All in all I don't think it's unrealistic. 6x1 for Thornton is not unreasonable value but it is admittedly probably not enough to drag him away from San Jose. For one year though, they could afford to spend a little more if it came to that.

Anyway, that's my thinking. You're right about it being leaf-sided, but that's kinda the point, isn't it? Built our favorite team as well as we can imagine.
May 16, 2018 at 6:48 p.m.
Philvr
Firstly the Edmonton trade is a little off, in my opinion maybe you could put gardiner and timashov in their to make it a three way deal with Carolina. . Secondly why did you sign 3 UFA centers? because I think the leafs only need to sign one center (personally I think Riley Nash is the best option for 3rd line center).
May 16, 2018 at 6:48 p.m.
Sadly these are Leaf sided to the point that it just isn't remotely realistic. You aren't getting a top 4, young, RH, signed Pesce for a 6/7 D, a backup, and a 3rd. It's just insane.. Sorry lol. The Larsson deal is in the same situation heavy heavy underpayment.
May 16, 2018 at 8:26 p.m.
"You're right about it being leaf-sided, but that's kinda the point, isn't it? Built our favorite team as well as we can imagine."

no, I don't think that should be the point at all. maybe constructing teams, some logical trades so there is so good discussion, some learning, but if the intend built a team unrealistically, why bother reading such posts.
May 16, 2018 at 8:54 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: Philvr
Firstly the Edmonton trade is a little off, in my opinion maybe you could put gardiner and timashov in their to make it a three way deal with Carolina. . Secondly why did you sign 3 UFA centers? because I think the leafs only need to sign one center (personally I think Riley Nash is the best option for 3rd line center).

The idea behind the extra centers was basically for depth. Leafs have plenty of capable wingers available, and imo serviceable d-men as well if they were just pushed a little further down the depth chart... also it looks like that part of the team may even solve itself through the Marlies, just not right away, which is the issue. I may be in the minority here, but I think the big weakness is at center. Matthews and Kadri are good, but there's not much after that. Nylander is a maybe (or a probably, but still unproven). Aaltonen, as far as I knew, wasn't quite ready... I stand to be corrected on that. That's pretty much the logic, or lack thereof, that I was going on
May 16, 2018 at 9:14 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: clark

no, I don't think that should be the point at all. maybe constructing teams, some logical trades so there is so good discussion, some learning, but if the intend built a team unrealistically, why bother reading such posts.

I'm not trying to build a team unrealistically... perhaps that wasn't the best choice of words. I should have said "To build our favorite team as well as we can believe being possible".

As far as possibility, I think we need to take into account the executives pulling the trigger as much as the values of the players involved. To that end, my suggested Edmonton trade... IMO the biggest obstacle is Taylor Hall exists and is amazing, and is forever linked to Adam Larsen. Otherwise, Chiarelli is known to like size and brute force. Martin. They need wingers. Leivo is not getting many chances in Toronto, but nearly every time he got in the lineup he had a positive impact. Also, he's big and feisty. Hainsey is a great locker room guy, a fairly effective d-man, but more importantly to Edmonton (based on precedent at least, see Russel) he passes the eye-test, no matter what the stats might say. Plus a pick. Three roster players of the type the management there seems to favour and a future... I can see them biting.

As far as Carolina goes, my logic (...) ran in a similar direction of exploiting panicked people, but I'm not going to bother defending that one. The more I look at it the less I like what I did and the less I believe it could happen. I'm not changing it though, that can wait until the next time.

As far as discussion goes, have at it. I've given you a starter, show me why I'm wrong instead of just saying that it is so. Whatever we pull together can help make the next attempt better.
May 16, 2018 at 9:25 p.m.
MapleLeafsFuture
__
May 16, 2018 at 9:26 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: Matthews34
Sadly these are Leaf sided to the point that it just isn't remotely realistic. You aren't getting a top 4, young, RH, signed Pesce for a 6/7 D, a backup, and a 3rd. It's just insane.. Sorry lol. The Larsson deal is in the same situation heavy heavy underpayment.

I'm not going to defend the Carolina trade (well, except for the remark about Carrick being a 6/7 D... I believe his ceiling is significantly higher than that, but I doubt he gets a shot playing for Babcock). Like I said to Clark the more I look at it the less I like what I did there, you're absolutely right. As far as Edmonton goes, again, see my reply to Clark. I don't think you're wrong about the value being off, purely on my estimation of all the players involved, but I don't think that makes this particular trade unrealistic. Bear in mind who's in charge in Edmonton, all three of those seem to be types of players that Chiarelli likes. So 3 roster players and a future. I can see them biting, the biggest obstacle IMO is the fact that they traded Taylor Hall for him.
May 16, 2018 at 9:38 p.m.
Quoting: A_Bear_On_Skates
I'm not going to defend the Carolina trade (well, except for the remark about Carrick being a 6/7 D... I believe his ceiling is significantly higher than that, but I doubt he gets a shot playing for Babcock). Like I said to Clark the more I look at it the less I like what I did there, you're absolutely right. As far as Edmonton goes, again, see my reply to Clark. I don't think you're wrong about the value being off, purely on my estimation of all the players involved, but I don't think that makes this particular trade unrealistic. Bear in mind who's in charge in Edmonton, all three of those seem to be types of players that Chiarelli likes. So 3 roster players and a future. I can see them biting, the biggest obstacle IMO is the fact that they traded Taylor Hall for him.

I get it. I just have a hard time using who is at the helm of a franchise as the reason why they can easily get killed in a deal. I promise if Larsson was only going to cost that much he'd have been gone a long time ago. To get them thinking on that deal the pick should probably be our 1st. Even then it doesn't make a ton of sense when you factor in the direction of their team. I think you need a little more quality and a little less quantity in these deals. Respect the effort and ability to realize maybe the values aren't perfect though smile
May 16, 2018 at 9:48 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: Matthews34
I get it. I just have a hard time using who is at the helm of a franchise as the reason why they can easily get killed in a deal. I promise if Larsson was only going to cost that much he'd have been gone a long time ago. To get them thinking on that deal the pick should probably be our 1st. Even then it doesn't make a ton of sense when you factor in the direction of their team. I think you need a little more quality and a little less quantity in these deals. Respect the effort and ability to realize maybe the values aren't perfect though smile

TBH I thought that the pick should be higher after I posted, but I decided to just leave it standing with a note at the end.
Anyway, your opinion is noted and filed for next time. I'm definitely having another go at this.

Cheers
Matthews34 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll