SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

Addressing Bob McKenzie’s ROR trade rumour

May 18, 2018 at 11:53 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
I’m just trying to break down the comparison to the PHI/LAK Mike Richards deal to a possible ROR trade.

So Bob McKenzie spoke about how BUF want a similar return to what PHI got for Richards, which was Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, and a 2nd rd pick (61st overall). Before Sabres fans start drooling, this was in 2011! Simmonds was a 2nd rd pick prospect who had only 3 NHL seasons under his belt and had never scored more than 16goals in a single season. Schenn was indeed a big deal prospect back then (5th overall) and had a huge World Junior tournament. He wasn’t however an already established top 6 center like he is today.

I personally think if this is BUF expectation of a return for ROR, he’ll retire a Sabres. In 2011, the NHL was all about getting bigger and more physical, and boring “trap defense”. The value on picks and prospects where definitely not as high as they are today. Also, every GM now can use that Mike Richards trade as a reference. Look where Mike Richards is now, and look at what Simmonds and Schenn have done since he left.

Giving credit where credit is due, Richards was part of the successful cup runs for LAK. But he was a complimentary player behind guys like Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick. So with that being said, teams looking for a #1 C should not be targeting ROR, teams that already have a legitimate #1 C and would use ROR as a #2 C and and looking to win a cup within the next few seasons, go for it. But there are barely any teams that fit that exact description who don’t already have their 2 top 6 Centers.

From a Habs perspective, I would 100% stay from ROR if that’s the asking price. A comparison would be:

To BUF -> Habs 2018 3rd overall pick (comparable to Schenn back then) + Atturi Lehkonen (comparable to Simmonds back then, as in 2nd rd pick prospect whose scored 18 and 12 goal seasons) + MTL 2018 2nd rd pick from WSH (59th overall).

To MTL -> Ryan O’Reilly

Would be a huge mistake for the Habs...
May 18, 2018 at 3:50 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
To BUF - Ryan O'Reilly

I don't think he gets traded.
May 20, 2018 at 8:32 p.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
I’m just trying to break down the comparison to the PHI/LAK Mike Richards deal to a possible ROR trade.

So Bob McKenzie spoke about how BUF want a similar return to what PHI got for Richards, which was Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, and a 2nd rd pick (61st overall). Before Sabres fans start drooling, this was in 2011! Simmonds was a 2nd rd pick prospect who had only 3 NHL seasons under his belt and had never scored more than 16goals in a single season. Schenn was indeed a big deal prospect back then (5th overall) and had a huge World Junior tournament. He wasn’t however an already established top 6 center like he is today.

I personally think if this is BUF expectation of a return for ROR, he’ll retire a Sabres. In 2011, the NHL was all about getting bigger and more physical, and boring “trap defense”. The value on picks and prospects where definitely not as high as they are today. Also, every GM now can use that Mike Richards trade as a reference. Look where Mike Richards is now, and look at what Simmonds and Schenn have done since he left.

Giving credit where credit is due, Richards was part of the successful cup runs for LAK. But he was a complimentary player behind guys like Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick. So with that being said, teams looking for a #1 C should not be targeting ROR, teams that already have a legitimate #1 C and would use ROR as a #2 C and and looking to win a cup within the next few seasons, go for it. But there are barely any teams that fit that exact description who don’t already have their 2 top 6 Centers.

From a Habs perspective, I would 100% stay from ROR if that’s the asking price. A comparison would be:

To BUF -> Habs 2018 3rd overall pick (comparable to Schenn back then) + Atturi Lehkonen (comparable to Simmonds back then, as in 2nd rd pick prospect whose scored 18 and 12 goal seasons) + MTL 2018 2nd rd pick from WSH (59th overall).

To MTL -> Ryan O’Reilly

Would be a huge mistake for the Habs...

Philly got very lucky with Simmonds. they definitely didnt expect him to develop into that good of a player. however, if the asking price for ROR is 3rd overall and lehkonen (more or less) habs should entertain it. hes criminally underrated and would be the best centre the habs have had in decades.
wojme liked this.
May 20, 2018 at 8:56 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Edited May 20, 2018 at 10:19 p.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
Philly got very lucky with Simmonds. they definitely didnt expect him to develop into that good of a player. however, if the asking price for ROR is 3rd overall and lehkonen (more or less) habs should entertain it. hes criminally underrated and would be the best centre the habs have had in decades.

ROR would be definitely be the Habs best C since since Saku Koivu. But he isn’t a #1, which is my point. When Eichel go hurt ROR took over the #1 spot. He can’t be “that guy”. COL noticed the same thing, ROR wasn’t worth paying $7.5mil a year, and they chose to keep Duchene over him.

He’s a #2 C. Arguably the best #2 C two way Center. If he were to come to MTL, he’s their definitive #1 with all the pressure that comes with it. Not worth it.
Habs are also desperate for Offense, they need goals! Zadina/Svechnikov fills 20years worth of that for free now, and will only cost $925k for the next three years. Habs can’t afford to give him up. Lehkonen type players I’ll agree are expendable. Send Pacioretty with picks for him, or Galchenyuk package. But as far as I’m concerned, the 3rd overall pick is off limits. Unless Draisaitl magically becomes available, but I doubt it.
mhockey91 and Hockeylover360 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll